What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DYNASTY: 2011 Top 15 Prospects (1 Viewer)

I am still higher on Quizz than most, I think he is an NFL starter.
I'm curious to see his actual height/weight. Guys like MJD, Rice, and Bradshaw have shown that short backs can handle a pretty big workload if they have the requisite bulk. If Rodgers is something like 190-200 pounds then I think he has starter potential. Otherwise he'll probably play a similar role to Sproles. I think he's one of the more talented backs in this class, but his unconventional frame makes it difficult to predict exactly how he'll be used. As for Rudolph, he didn't stand out in the only game I watched him play this season. I haven't done much investigating into the TE class yet.

I already have mcfadden, jstew, felix jones and jahvid best at running back and may end up with the first pick in next years draft. do i pass on ingram?

Unless he's a transfer from a junior college, I'm pretty sure James White RB Wisconsin is a freshman and hence ineligible for the NFL draft this year.
Good catch. I wasn't aware of that. He's one to watch for the future. I definitely like his pro potential more than John Clay's.
White is a true freshman, and definitely someone to keep an eye on. Some local beat writers believe White may be the best Badger RB. He's a different beast than Clay. Has good hands, speed, quickness, etc., and as an all-around back I'm very excited about his pro prospects.I used to be high on Clay as an NFL prospect, but now I'm not sure he has the quickness a big back needs to be successful in the NFL.
I don't know a single Badger fan who is higher on Clay (as an NFL prospect) than James White. That's both a compliment to White and an indictment of Clay. In addition to looking fat & out of shape recently, Clay has never looked particularly explosive. He looks even less so this season. White is young still, so it's tough to say whether or not he will continue to develop or if we're seeing his peak performance right now. If he works hard, bulks up a tad, and learns how to be a 3-down RB, he could be an interesting prospect in a couple years.

IMO, A.J. Green is by far the top talent in this draft. Though we all know RBs go first in dynasty. I have the top pick next year through trade. I think Ingram will be good as well. If the draft were today I would take Green without blinking.

I'm very weak at running back (MJD, LT2, and Lynch as my top 3 backs) and i love ingram. However, i'm 4-3 and have almost no shot at getting the #1 pick.

What is reasonable compensation to the owner who ends up with pick 1.01? Is anyone else looking to acquire pick 1.01 in hopes of landing Ingram?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm very weak at running back (MJD, LT2, and Lynch as my top 3 backs) and i love ingram. However, i'm 4-3 and have almost no shot at getting the #1 pick. What is reasonable compensation to the owner who ends up with pick 1.01? Is anyone else looking to acquire pick 1.01 in hopes of landing Ingram?
I've been thinking about doing the same thing if I don't the number one pick and it's really difficult to figure out the right compensation. I guess it depends on the owners needs. A number one receiver or back plus a pick. Or a top ten player plus a 2nd round pick maybe.

I'm very weak at running back (MJD, LT2, and Lynch as my top 3 backs) and i love ingram. However, i'm 4-3 and have almost no shot at getting the #1 pick. What is reasonable compensation to the owner who ends up with pick 1.01? Is anyone else looking to acquire pick 1.01 in hopes of landing Ingram?
I've been thinking about doing the same thing if I don't the number one pick and it's really difficult to figure out the right compensation. I guess it depends on the owners needs. A number one receiver or back plus a pick. Or a top ten player plus a 2nd round pick maybe.
With this being my first year doing a dynasty league, i have no idea what would be deemed adequate compensation for pick 1.01. I think i have an outside chance to win the league this year with some luck, but i will most likely be in the 7-10 range. (probably make the playoffs and get bounced in round 1 or 2)So if i were to give the owner of pick 1.01 all of my picks, what type of player(s) would i have to also give up? rb2? wr2?

IMO, A.J. Green is by far the top talent in this draft. Though we all know RBs go first in dynasty. I have the top pick next year through trade. I think Ingram will be good as well. If the draft were today I would take Green without blinking.
you already know your 2011 draft order? and you'd be a fool to take green #1. not saying he won't live up to it, but you said it yourself that rbs go 1st. ingram will have more hype than any rb in the past couple of drafts. you could easily trade down a spot, take green, and have yourself an additional 2012 1st or more.

With this being my first year doing a dynasty league, i have no idea what would be deemed adequate compensation for pick 1.01. I think i have an outside chance to win the league this year with some luck, but i will most likely be in the 7-10 range. (probably make the playoffs and get bounced in round 1 or 2)So if i were to give the owner of pick 1.01 all of my picks, what type of player(s) would i have to also give up? rb2? wr2?
That's probably a flawed strategy. You don't want to give up all of your picks because you always need depth because of injuries and byes and what not. Also, Any pick besides your first round pick probably wouldn't be appealing to the owner of the 1.01 pick. The number 1 pick demands a stud plus a first round pick imo.

That's probably a flawed strategy. You don't want to give up all of your picks because you always need depth because of injuries and byes and what not. Also, Any pick besides your first round pick probably wouldn't be appealing to the owner of the 1.01 pick. The number 1 pick demands a stud plus a first round pick imo.
Yea good point. Pick 1.07 + his choice of Vjax or Sidney Rice is the offer i'm hoping he will accept.Any seasoned dynasty owners have any experience trading for 1.01 and what you had to give up?

I will update this most weeks for the rest of the year. These are my opinions on 2011 fantasy rookies based on the assumption that they were drafted by teams using the Walter Football Mock draft (updated every Thursday). I play in a PPR Dynasty 12 man league, so my picks will have that slant on them.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2011.php

Fantasy Rookie Draft (rankings and comments by position below)

1. Ingram RB – NE

2. R Williams RB – GB

3. AJ Green WR – Car

4. J Baldwin WR - SD

5. J. Jones WR - Wash

6. M Floyd WR - Atlanta

7. A Luck QB – Buff

8. Leshoure RB – TB

9. Posey WR – St Louis

10. D Thomas RB – Denver

11. Vareen RB – NYG

12. Broyles WR – Cleveland

13. Mallet QB - Cinci

14. Locker QB – Seattle

15. D Murray RB – St Louis

2011 Rookie Mock rankings (based on Walter Football 2011 NFL Mock)

QB

Luck - Buffalo 1.01 NFL Mock Draft

This guy is a future stud and the most pro-ready of the QB’s this year. Getting drafted by Buffalo on first glance is a problem until you look at Fitzpatrick’s recent run. I could see him having a Bradford like 1st year, but it will take a couple years to be fantasy starter worthy.

Mallet – Cinci 1.07 NFL Mock Draft

He certainly has all of the physical skills and then some, but does have some red flags. Character and “smarts” are the big question, although the character is doesn’t bother me too much (Big Ben). In Cinci he would likely get to sit behind Palmer for a couple of years and I think that would be good for him. If he goes to a team that tries to start him too quick, I think it’s very possible he will struggle for years, if not his career.

Locker – Seattle 1.21 NFL Mock Draft

Love the physical skills, but hate what I see on the field way too often. He just isn’t that natural drop back QB the NFL prefers. The skills are there and maybe it will happen over time, but I doubt Seattle will want to be patient enough to leave him on the bench learning for two years. If they don’t I think the mini-bust (V Young style) is high. If he ever lives up to the potential…look out, as he does have the highest ceiling of this years QB’s.

C Ponder – SF 2.03 NFL Mock Draft

I don’t like this pick for SF. They need a QB, but not another mediocre one…they have enough of those. I think Ponder is journeyman QB and he will struggle in the pro game. He hasn’t had the type of season this year to suggest anything different.

P Delvin – Kansas City 3.23 NFL Mock Draft

Not a bad spot for a QB project. Is Delvin the next Flacco? The odds are against him and the Pro game is a big leap from Delaware, but the physical skills are there. I think it will take 3 yrs for him to develop (if he does). Can you afford to use a roster spot for 3 years?

RB

Ingram - New England 1.12 NFL Mock Draft

Ingram is a much better prospect than Mathews and he ends up in a similarly promising spot (NE vs SD). I could see him end up a top 14-18 RB as a rookie and have a long great career. I don’t see him as a future top 3 mega stud, but easily a top 6-7 for a number of years and the bust factor is very low.

R Williams – Green Bay 1.29 NFL Mock Draft

The situation couldn’t be better. Williams season has been a disaster this year and that concerns me, but I feel very comfortable in saying he is a better physical talent than Grant and Grant did very well in this offense. He might not have Grant’s power, but he is way more explosive and he also catches the ball out of the backfield very well. He could be a nice mid to low RB2 his rookie season.

M. Leshoure – Tampa Bay 2.14 NFL Mock Draft

Looks like a big, mediocre talent to me. He is a productive player that plays in a big time conference, so I can see him having a decent NFL career in the right situation. Is that situation TB? Maybe. Is he really an upgrade over Blount? Maybe, but not much IMO. In this situation I could see him as a low end RB2.

D Thomas - Denver 3.06 NFL Mock Draft

I really like D Thomas as an NFL player. He has the prototypical size and decent speed and quickness. He does run too tall, but he is still learning the RB position (originally a QB). When I watch him run, I can’t help but see a similar talent to A Foster or Grant. Certainly far from a physical stud, but a big powerful back that catches the ball well and could be a very effective 3 down back in the right system. I’m not sure Denver is that spot, but backing up Moreno (injury), isn’t the worst case, but it isn’t great either. Now put him in GB and I could see him as a RB2 with RB1 upside, by his second year.

S. Vareen – NY Giants 2.31 NFL Mock Draft

I like Vareen as a talent. I see him in the mold of a platoon back that shares the backfield with a bigger short yardage back. Vareen has good quickness and speed and catches the ball well out of the backfield. I don’t see a high ceiling, but a low end RB2 is within reach. That said, if he is drafted here, I think he sits behind Bradshaw for a couple of years.

D Murray – St Louis Rams 3.09 NFL Mock Draft

I’m not a big fan of Murray, but this is an interesting spot for him. He could play a 3rd down role behind Jackson for a few years and might actually fit nicely in a pass heavy offence. He catches the ball very well and is a very good back in space. He’ll never be a 3 down back, so stud is out of the question, but he could end up a decent RB3 in PPR.

N Devine – San Diego 3.21 NFL Mock Draft

D Sproles meet the next D Sproles? It looks that way…but. My concern is that Devine hasn’t caught the ball enough out of the backfield the last 2 years. He did have one game with 10 catches this year, so the ability seems to be there. If it isn’t, you are drafting a KR, because he won’t be a starting RB. Low end fantasy RB3 at best.

WR

AJ Green – Carolina 1.02 NFL Mock Draft

This is certainly not as good of a spot for Green to go to versus going to St.Louis (#1 for Bradford) or NE (replace Moss’s old role), but it doesn’t matter. He is one of the best WR prospects to come into the NFL in the last 10yrs. He isn’t quite Calvin in terms of being a physical freak, but he isn’t far off.

J Baldwin – San Diego 1.18 NFL Mock Draft

Vincent Jackson, meet the younger more talented version of your self. Baldwin will have to prove he can separate off the line and his 40 time will need to be sub 4.5 to warrant my current view, but I really like this kid in this spot….especially if VJax moves on to another team next year (I think he will). If M Floyd can do well in this offense…Baldwin could be a low end WR1 by year 2.

J. Jones – Washington 1.16 NFL Mock Draft

Julio goes to a team that he could start for as soon as mid-season his rookie year. He reminds me of TO a lot. The physical skills are all there, he just needs to work on concentration/hands, route running and of course reading pro defenses. I think it will take a couple of years, but I think he ends up a low end WR1/high end WR2 by year 3.

M Floyd – Atlanta 1.25 NFL Mock Draft

Floyd has the lowest upside of the top 4 WR’s but not by much. He also goes to a great situation to produce early. Ryan is a very good QB who will get even better with a “real” #2 WR, R White will keep defenses attention, and Gonzalez is showing his age so a decent number of targets could be there for Floyd in his rookie season.

Broyles – Cleveland 2.08 NFL Mock Draft

Broyles is hugely productive, but lacks the prototypical size to be a stud. That doesn’t mean he can’t be a stud, it just means the odds are lower. I see him becoming a nice #2 NFL WR and fantasy WR3. In the right offense he could be a better fantasy prospect, but I’m pretty sure Cleveland isn’t that offense…at least for several years.

D Posey – St Louis 2.09 NFL Mock Draft

I’m just not a Posey fan. I haven’t watched a lot of film so it maybe I just always see Ohio St WR’s as busts. What I have seen is a good sized WR that catches well with his hands, adjusts to the ball well and catches it in traffic, but the explosive talent just doesn’t seem to be there. Certainly any WR that has a chance to play with Bradford gets a boost in my ratings. A good combine would help as well.

Hankerson – KC 2.22 NFL Mock Draft

Decent talent and decent production are about all I can say. Is he better than Bowe…no. Will he have an NFL career..yes. Will he be more than a WR3 fantasy factor during his career, I doubt it.

A Pettis – Colts – 3.32 NFL Mock Draft

I don’t see the Colts making this pick, but if they do, it makes Pettis a potentially interesting player a couple of years from now. That said, Wayne would have to move along and Manning would have to still be as productive in 2013 for this to get anywhere close to a fantasy worthy situation.

TE

K. Rudolph – Buffalo 3.01 NFL Mock Draft

I see a big strong prototypical TE. I don’t see a fantasy stud. I would be surprised if Buffalo drafted him here, but if they do, I could see him starting day one. He will be a better NFL player than fantasy player.

I will update this most weeks for the rest of the year. These are my opinions on 2011 fantasy rookies based on the assumption that they were drafted by teams using the Walter Football Mock draft (updated every Thursday). I play in a PPR Dynasty 12 man league, so my picks will have that slant on them.

1. Ingram RB – NE

2. R Williams RB – GB

3. AJ Green WR – Car

4. J Baldwin WR - SD

5. J. Jones WR - Wash

6. M Floyd WR - Atlanta

7. A Luck QB – Buff

Not sure how you can have AJ Green #3 with a slant toward PPR :wub: He's #2 or even #1 in PPR drafts.

Evan Royster had a nice game last night, but I came away unimpressed with his pro potential. Man is he slow with his cuts. It is like a slow zig zag when he wants to cut off a block.

1. Ingram RB – NE

2. R Williams RB – GB

3. AJ Green WR – Car

4. J Baldwin WR - SD

5. J. Jones WR - Wash

6. M Floyd WR - Atlanta

7. A Luck QB – Buff

Not sure how you can have AJ Green #3 with a slant toward PPR :wall: He's #2 or even #1 in PPR drafts.
I don't disagree with you. I went back and forth several times on this one. The GB starting RB position is such a valuable spot, it swayed me. It's very possible I switch it back next week.

Evan Royster had a nice game last night, but I came away unimpressed with his pro potential. Man is he slow with his cuts. It is like a slow zig zag when he wants to cut off a block.
agreed. great college runner, all time leader at PSU which says something, but i too question his pro prospects.

D Posey – St Louis 2.09 NFL Mock Draft

I’m just not a Posey fan. I haven’t watched a lot of film so it maybe I just always see Ohio St WR’s as busts. What I have seen is a good sized WR that catches well with his hands, adjusts to the ball well and catches it in traffic, but the explosive talent just doesn’t seem to be there. Certainly any WR that has a chance to play with Bradford gets a boost in my ratings. A good combine would help as well.
Must not have been watching long, eh? Joey Galloway - been doing it for a LOOOONG time.

Cris Carter - what, #2 in receiving yards in HISTORY?

Terry Glenn - Some nice years in there

David Boston - you can certainly not call his first 3-4 years a bust

Santonio Holmes - recent troubles aside, he was the super bowl MVP, remember?

Michael Jenkins - one of the best blocking WRs in the league. There is a reason Atlanta keeps tossing him out there.

Brian Hartline - 506 yards as a 4th round draft pick is hardly being a bust, amirite?

Those are just off the top of my head...I am sure I am missing some recent ones.

On the other hand, the only true bust so far has been Ted Ginn Jr. And I am still shocked that Miami took him top-10. Gonzales has not had a shot due to injury, and Robiskie has not had a real QB until the last few games, so they get passes for now...

DansRams-

Thanks for taking the time to share your list/thoughts. I know the recent arrest/suspension of Justin Blackmon will certainly be a draftday red flag, but hasn't he done enough to round out the top 5 WR's after Green, Baldwin, Jones and Floyd? You still like Posey, Broyles, etc. over Blackmon?

DansRams-Thanks for taking the time to share your list/thoughts. I know the recent arrest/suspension of Justin Blackmon will certainly be a draftday red flag, but hasn't he done enough to round out the top 5 WR's after Green, Baldwin, Jones and Floyd? You still like Posey, Broyles, etc. over Blackmon?
I'm pretty sure Blackmon isn't eligible in 2011. He didn't redshirt did he?

Must not have been watching long, eh? Joey Galloway - been doing it for a LOOOONG time.Cris Carter - what, #2 in receiving yards in HISTORY?Terry Glenn - Some nice years in thereDavid Boston - you can certainly not call his first 3-4 years a bustSantonio Holmes - recent troubles aside, he was the super bowl MVP, remember?Michael Jenkins - one of the best blocking WRs in the league. There is a reason Atlanta keeps tossing him out there.Brian Hartline - 506 yards as a 4th round draft pick is hardly being a bust, amirite?Those are just off the top of my head...I am sure I am missing some recent ones.On the other hand, the only true bust so far has been Ted Ginn Jr. And I am still shocked that Miami took him top-10. Gonzales has not had a shot due to injury, and Robiskie has not had a real QB until the last few games, so they get passes for now...
I don't disagree with you...I said "maybe I just"...the statement was questioning my own thinking...it certainly didn't need to drive a "Must not have been watching long, eh?" comment

DansRams said:
BallparkFrank said:
DansRams-

Thanks for taking the time to share your list/thoughts. I know the recent arrest/suspension of Justin Blackmon will certainly be a draftday red flag, but hasn't he done enough to round out the top 5 WR's after Green, Baldwin, Jones and Floyd? You still like Posey, Broyles, etc. over Blackmon?
I pretty sure Blackmon isn't eligible in 2011. He didn't redshirt did he?
Blackmon redshirted in 2008 per his bio.

(12:01 AM): Top young WR to sit one game … Oklahoma State has suspended star sophomore WR Justin Blackmon for one game after he was arrested on a misdemeanor DUI charge earlier in the week. Blackmon, who is draft eligible in 2011 as he has redshirted, has been unstoppable this fall catching an NCAA leading 62 passes for over 1,100 yards and 14 scores in just 7 games to date.

DansRams said:
BallparkFrank said:
DansRams-Thanks for taking the time to share your list/thoughts. I know the recent arrest/suspension of Justin Blackmon will certainly be a draftday red flag, but hasn't he done enough to round out the top 5 WR's after Green, Baldwin, Jones and Floyd? You still like Posey, Broyles, etc. over Blackmon?
I pretty sure Blackmon isn't eligible in 2011. He didn't redshirt did he?
He is from the same high school class as Green, Jones, Floyd, etc.

Caught a little bit of the Oregon/USC game. LaMichael James is a great college back, but I'll be really curious to see what the NFL scouts think of him. He's not very powerful and most of his long runs come from wide open lanes. For the time being I'll stick with my Steve Slaton comparison.

I paid closer attention to Ronald Johnson this week than I have in previous USC games. I thought he looked pretty good. He's a fluid route runner with above average speed and quickness. I think he's a poor man's Chad Johnson with the potential to become a solid WR2 in a downfield passing attack.

I wanted to watch the Washington/Stanford game, but wasn't able to do so. Everything I've read says Stanford dominated all facets of the game and Luck clearly outshined Locker. With the other top QB options looking so weak, Luck will have the opportunity to coast into the QB1 spot in April's draft. Now it's just a question of what he'll decide to do.

Here's an updated 2011 watch list with some new names:

QB Andrew Luck, Stanford

QB Ryan Mallett, Arkansas

QB Jake Locker, Washington

QB Cam Newton, Auburn

QB Blaine Gabbert, Missouri

QB Christian Ponder, Florida State

QB Pat Devlin, Delaware

RB Mark Ingram, Alabama

RB LaMichael James, Oregon

RB Mikel Leshoure, Illinois

RB Jacquizz Rodgers, Oregon State

RB Shane Vereen, Cal

RB Daniel Thomas, Kansas State

RB Delone Carter, Syracuse

RB Adam Robinson, Iowa

RB Ed Wesley, TCU

RB Noel Devine, West Virginia

RB Darren Evans, Virginia Tech

RB Ryan Williams, Virginia Tech

RB Tauren Poole, Tennessee

RB Doug Martin, Boise State

RB Allen Bradford, USC

RB Marc Tyler, USC

RB Chris Polk, Washington

RB Chad Spann, Northern Illinois

WR AJ Green, Georgia

WR Justin Blackmon, Oklahoma State

WR Michael Floyd, Notre Dame

WR Jonathan Baldwin, Pitt

WR Julio Jones, Alabama

WR Ryan Broyles, Oklahoma

WR Ronald Johnson, USC

WR Titus Young, Boise State

WR Leonard Hankerson, Miami

WR DeAndre Brown, Southern Miss

WR Juron Criner, Arizona

WR Dwayne Harris, East Carolina

WR DeVier Posey, Ohio State

WR Jermaine Kearse, Washington

WR Marquis Maze, Alabama

WR Joe Adams, Arkansas

WR Greg Childs, Arkansas

WR Ryan Whalen, Stanford

WR Greg Salas, Hawaii

Ryan Broyles looked really sharp again, making plays every time he touched the ball, and a nice double move on a flare that he turned into a sideline go for a TD.

I'm becoming very intrigued by the potential for D. Murray to play slot receiver in the NFL. I think it could end up being his calling, or even perhaps play the outside. He runs some pretty nice routes for a RB, reminds me of Marshall Faulk in technique.

I am going to watch him a lot more closely in the coming weeks, but I am starting to warm to LaMichael James as a prospect. I originally thought he was too small and simply a product of the Oregon system, but I am starting to lean otherwise now. He is bigger than I thought, runs tougher than I though and he has very good speed. A lot of Oregon people I have talked to think he will declare.

Oh and Evan Royster is crap. I was way off on that one. I thought he had the potential to be a Matt Forte type of pro, solid at everything great at nothing. He sucks though. Don't let that last game against Michigan convince you otherwise.

Roy Helu Jr RB needs to go on your watch lists. I'll admit, his stats are a bit inflated by the excellent blocking that Nebraska is throwing up this year, but Helu has been banged up the last couple of years so we haven't seen his full potential. He's showing it now. 28 carries, 307 yards, 3 TDs against what was one of the better defenses in the NCAA. He has great long speed and exceptional short area quickness for a back his size (220lbs), he shows good to great power in getting positive yardage every time he touches the ball. Great awareness to find the holes that can open up anywhere along the line in Nebraska's spread scheme. Excellent, humble head on his shoulders. Definition of a hard worker. Plays through injuries. I think he's going to be a workout warrior that climbs draft boards after the combine. I expect runs in the low 4.4's, possibly even high 4.3's. Reports out of spring ball a year or so ago was that he was running mid 4.2's electronic timed, but I doubt their validity, as Nebraska doesn't release the numbers officially. Regardless, he's got NFL quality wheels. He's also a solid pass catcher out of the backfield, but not of the same caliber as Marlon Lucky (75 receptions in 2007?) or Brandon Jackson in that regard. Serviceable at least. He's a sleeper to keep an eye on.

:confused:

just read through this whole thread today, nice work.

Im holding 3 1st rounders in on league where I have a rebuilding project and I will have the #1 pcik for sure and 2 picks in the 6-10 range

I'm guessing Harbaugh and Luck are on the same sideline again next year in the Bay Area.
If this is supposed to mean that both will be in San Francisco, don't bet on it. As bad as the 49ers are, they're not #1 overall pick bad. They actually have a realistic chance to make a run at the division if they can get decent QB play. A more likely scenario is them finishing with something like 5-6 wins, which will put them well out of the range of the #1 pick. Anyways, it's hard to say where those two will end up next season. Harbaugh has said that he loves his job at Stanford, but he has never made concrete statements saying that he'll stay there forever. He has vented some frustrations about the lack of fan support at Stanford and I could see him moving on to a bigger arena, either the NFL or a traditional powerhouse like Michigan. He seems like the kind of guy who thrives off of challenging himself. Winning at Stanford is no longer a daunting challenge. As for Luck, he has a very tough decision to make. If he comes out, he will be the #1 overall pick. It's just a question of whether or not he's ready and willing to make that move. Is getting a huge paycheck a year early to go get killed in Buffalo enough incentive to sacrifice a college degree and another priceless year of the college life with your best friends? Don't be surprised if he answers no and comes back.Of course, he could also leave. He's a competitive person and he has pretty much mastered the college game. Maybe he's ready to move on. Also, a lot of his best friends on the team are graduating this year and if the squad ends up going to a BCS bowl game, he might feel like he has nothing left to prove.

Is there a consensus top three similar to last year - at least with those who drafted closer to preseason? I'm probably going to finish bottom three and want Ingram. I know Ingram and Green are top two talents for most.

EBF said:
Abraham said:
I'm guessing Harbaugh and Luck are on the same sideline again next year in the Bay Area.
If this is supposed to mean that both will be in San Francisco, don't bet on it. As bad as the 49ers are, they're not #1 overall pick bad. They actually have a realistic chance to make a run at the division if they can get decent QB play. A more likely scenario is them finishing with something like 5-6 wins, which will put them well out of the range of the #1 pick.

Anyways, it's hard to say where those two will end up next season. Harbaugh has said that he loves his job at Stanford, but he has never made concrete statements saying that he'll stay there forever. He has vented some frustrations about the lack of fan support at Stanford and I could see him moving on to a bigger arena, either the NFL or a traditional powerhouse like Michigan. He seems like the kind of guy who thrives off of challenging himself. Winning at Stanford is no longer a daunting challenge.

As for Luck, he has a very tough decision to make. If he comes out, he will be the #1 overall pick. It's just a question of whether or not he's ready and willing to make that move. Is getting a huge paycheck a year early to go get killed in Buffalo enough incentive to sacrifice a college degree and another priceless year of the college life with your best friends? Don't be surprised if he answers no and comes back.

Of course, he could also leave. He's a competitive person and he has pretty much mastered the college game. Maybe he's ready to move on. Also, a lot of his best friends on the team are graduating this year and if the squad ends up going to a BCS bowl game, he might feel like he has nothing left to prove.
I'd agree with you that he's pretty well mastered short and intermediate passing in the college game, but he hasn't been close to masterful when it comes to throwing deep downfield. Granted I've only seen him play a few times, but that's the impression I got from watching him.

Looks like Ryan Williams is back from his hamstring. He only got 6 carries but hopefully he can do enough the rest of the year to get the buzz going again.

Is there a consensus top three similar to last year - at least with those who drafted closer to preseason? I'm probably going to finish bottom three and want Ingram. I know Ingram and Green are top two talents for most.
Think theres a consensus top 12 in Green and Ingram. After that who knows yet.

EBF said:
Abraham said:
If this is supposed to mean that both will be in San Francisco, don't bet on it. As bad as the 49ers are, they're not #1 overall pick bad. They actually have a realistic chance to make a run at the division if they can get decent QB play. A more likely scenario is them finishing with something like 5-6 wins, which will put them well out of the range of the #1 pick.

Anyways, it's hard to say where those two will end up next season. Harbaugh has said that he loves his job at Stanford, but he has never made concrete statements saying that he'll stay there forever. He has vented some frustrations about the lack of fan support at Stanford and I could see him moving on to a bigger arena, either the NFL or a traditional powerhouse like Michigan. He seems like the kind of guy who thrives off of challenging himself. Winning at Stanford is no longer a daunting challenge.

As for Luck, he has a very tough decision to make. If he comes out, he will be the #1 overall pick. It's just a question of whether or not he's ready and willing to make that move. Is getting a huge paycheck a year early to go get killed in Buffalo enough incentive to sacrifice a college degree and another priceless year of the college life with your best friends? Don't be surprised if he answers no and comes back.

Of course, he could also leave. He's a competitive person and he has pretty much mastered the college game. Maybe he's ready to move on. Also, a lot of his best friends on the team are graduating this year and if the squad ends up going to a BCS bowl game, he might feel like he has nothing left to prove.
Hey, don't rule out the Panthers! I'm still holding out hope (rather misguidedly) that we'll somehow end up taking Luck. New regime, new coach, new mindset. I know we just drafted Clausen, but it wouldn't shock me if we took Luck.

EBF said:
Abraham said:

You know eventually the Bills will be good again. Maybe he's the guy to lead them there?

EBF said:
Abraham said:

Hey, don't rule out the Panthers! I'm still holding out hope (rather misguidedly) that we'll somehow end up taking Luck. New regime, new coach, new mindset. I know we just drafted Clausen, but it wouldn't shock me if we took Luck.
I don't think they would pass on Luck if they had the opportunity to pick him. I have watched Luck pretty extensively this season and IMO he's the first "can't miss" QB prospect to come along since I started following the draft closely. There have been other guys that I was pretty high on like Bradford and Rodgers, but I think Luck is a safer projection because he has such a rare combination of athletic gifts and football intelligence. His QB IQ is off the charts and that's what separates him from mere physical specimens like Locker, Boller, Palmer, and Cutler. The thing that really stands out about his performance this year is that the Stanford offense marches down the field and scores on almost every possession. Some of that is because the OL is excellent and some of that is because sophomore RB Stepfan Taylor has emerged as a potential NFL prospect, but a lot of the credit goes to Luck. He's very, very good at taking what the defense gives him and keeping the chains moving. I agree that deep passing has been his lone weak spot this season, but I'd chalk that up more to a lack of experience and opportunities than a lack of talent. He clearly possesses the ability to make pinpoint throws downfield, as evidenced by this toss against Sac State in the season opener:

I see him as a guy who will probably be a perennial playoff QB in the NFL and potentially a multiple Super Bowl winner. I'm not sure whether he'll be a statistical powerhouse, but he's a winner through and through. The national media is starting to align with this perspective, as pretty much every draft pundit out there has elevated Luck to the QB1 spot. Russ Lande, a guy who generally seems to provide pretty sound analysis, has said that Luck is the best QB prospect that he has ever evaluated. I don't see Carolina passing on that because they spent a 2nd round pick on Jimmy Clausen. If you have the chance to draft a can't-miss franchise QB, you take it.

Here's a pretty thorough highlight package of Luck's 2010 season:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn0XI5w69rw

It's nice to watch, but if you really want to gain an appreciation for what he does, I think you need to watch a complete game. This Saturday's matchup against Arizona should be a good test and there will be several potential NFL prospects on the field for both sides.

Draft prospects for 11 NFL teams with losing records at midseason

By Tony Pauline, Special to SI.com, TFYDraft.com

With the NFL season at the midway point, optimistic fan bases are looking toward the postseason. But what about the 11 teams with losing records? With their focus perhaps more on the future, let's take a look at their potential biggest needs and the current college prospects who might be available when their turn comes in next April's draft. (*Denotes underclassmen)

Buffalo Bills

2010 Record: 0-7

Potential needs: QB, pass rusher

Andrew Luck*/QB/Stanford: The growing consensus is Luck will be the first pick of the draft if he opts for the NFL, and most expect the redshirt sophomore to make himself eligible. He could be the franchise quarterback the Bills have been looking for since the retirement of Jim Kelly. Luck is NFL-ready and will be taking snaps early in his professional career.

Robert Quinn*/DE-OLB/North Carolina: Despite being ruled ineligible for the season, Quinn is a disruptive defensive presence who can stand up over tackle in Buffalo's 3-4 alignment or line up at defensive end should the Bills revert to a conventional defense. His upside warrants consideration in the draft's opening selections.

Carolina Panthers

2010 Record: 1-6

Potential Needs: QB, WR

Andrew Luck*/QB/Stanford: Although Carolina selected Jimmy Clausen in the second round of the 2010 draft, Luck is just too enormous a talent to pass up if he's available.

AJ Green*/WR/Georgia: Green, another underclassmen expected to enter the draft, is a game-breaking playmaker at receiver. He's a larger and more explosive version of Steve Smith.

Dallas Cowboys

Potential Needs: DL, RT

Prince Amukamara/CB/Nebraska: Amukamara offers the Cowboys immediate help in the secondary. He's a high character prospect who would also add quality off the field.

Marcell Dareus*/DL/Alabama: Dareus has the talent to play a number of spots up front and could easily be All-Pro potential if he applies himself.

Denver Broncos

2010 Record: 2-6

Potential Needs: DE, OLB

Cameron Heyward/DL/Ohio State: Heyward makes a lot of sense for Denver. The Ohio State senior has the versatility to line up as a two-gap end in the Broncos 3-4 alignment or at defensive tackle if they switch to a conventional four-man line.

Bruce Carter/OLB/North Carolina: Carter has a polished game and is a three-down linebacker. He's better suited to play in a 4-3 alignment, yet would immediately add youth and athleticism to the Broncos linebacker unit.

San Francisco 49ers

Potential Needs: QB, CB

Patrick Peterson*/CB/LSU: Peterson is a physical presence in the secondary and also a game-breaking return specialist. Although his game needs polish, Peterson comes with a big upside.

Jake Locker/QB/Washington: Locker hasn't had a good season and his draft stock has slipped, but there's no way San Francisco continues with Alex Smith?

Detroit Lions

2010 Record: 2-5

Potential Needs: DE, OT

Tyron Smith*/OT/USC: Smith is one of the fastest rising juniors in the nation. He did a terrific job at left tackle as a sophomore before moving to the right side this year and has dominated opponents run blocking. The top six is early for his services, but the cupboard is bare at the top of the tackle class.

Aldon Smith*/DE/Missouri: Smith has missed time with a fractured fibula this season. When he's at the top of his game, the underclassmen is a disruptive sack-master. UNC's Robert Quinn also would be good value at this slot if available.

Cleveland Browns

Potential Needs: DL, RB

Nick Fairley*/DL/Auburn: Fairley is flying up draft boards and the first-year starter presently grades higher than Jason Pierre Paul, the South Florida product who came out of nowhere to be a mid-first round pick last April. Fairley lines up at defensive tackle for Auburn. He has the tools to convert to defensive end in a 3-4 alignment.

Mark Ingram*/RB/Alabama: The 2009 Heisman Trophy winner is a complete ballcarrier who can be a feature runner in the NFL. He has the style and substance to produce in the inclement weather of the AFC North.

Cincinnati Bengals

Potential Needs: DE, CB

Adrian Clayborn/DE/Iowa: Clayborn's speed and athleticism is a good fit for the Bengals four-man line. His ability to get to the quarterback would be a welcome addition for the Bengals' anemic pass rush.

Aaron Williams*/CB/Texas: Several scouts around the league think Williams' game is on a par with LSU's Patrick Peterson. He offers nice size, athleticism and top ball skills.

Minnesota Vikings

Potential Needs: QB, DT

Jake Locker/QB/Washington: Locker would be a step in the right direction for the Vikings. He has the underlying skills to be a starter in the NFL if he receives proper coaching and learns to become a complete passer.

Stephen Paea/DT/Oregon State: Paea's game has shown minimal improvement this year yet the senior is a high motor defender whose best football is ahead of him. He would add youth and athleticism to the Vikings interior defensive line and could make an immediate impact as a rookie

San Diego Chargers

2010 Record: 3-5

Potential Needs: OLB, WR

Aldon Smith*/OLB-DE/Missouri: Smith is similar to the recently released Shawne Merriman. He's a terrific pass rusher out of a three-point stance and possesses the athleticism to stand up over tackle and make plays in space.

Justin Blackmon*/WR/Oklahoma State: Blackmon has been tearing it up this season and is making many forget about Dez Bryant. His recent arrest for a DUI will raise red flags, but the underclassman has the skills to impact at the next level.

Arizona Cardinals

2010 Record: 3-4

Potential Needs: DL, QB

Cameron Jordan/DL/California: Jordan's draft stock has been steadily rising as NFL scouts love his ability to line up at a variety of defensive line positions or schemes. He's a hardworking athlete who would partner well with Darnell Dockett.

Ryan Mallett*/QB/Arkansas: Mallett's ability to challenge the vertical game will remind many of Kurt Warner. There are a lot of questions surrounding his game, yet no one doubts Mallett possesses the physical skills to start in the NFL.

There is a chance that New England Patriots might take A.J. Green with Raiders' 1st rounder since Patriots sorely lacks a big-play and deep-threat receiver (like Randy Moss). Tom Brady isn't the same as before when he had Moss or Charlie Weis' creative play-calling.

I dont think Patriots would take a RB in 1st round since they can plug any RB in their powerful OL. If Brady gets Green, watch out!

There is a chance that New England Patriots might take A.J. Green with Raiders' 1st rounder since Patriots sorely lacks a big-play and deep-threat receiver (like Randy Moss). Tom Brady isn't the same as before when he had Moss or Charlie Weis' creative play-calling.

I dont think Patriots would take a RB in 1st round since they can plug any RB in their powerful OL. If Brady gets Green, watch out!
Did you read that somewhere or is it just opinion?

Did you read that somewhere or is it just opinion?
It was just my opinion with a little bit wishful thinking.

I think If Ingram and Ryan Williams end up in equal situations Williams will be the better back for fantasy. Ingram will be very good but nothing special. In my opinion a high end RB 2. I think Williams follows the career path as someone like Rashard Mendenhall. But when Trent Richardson enters the NFL I think he will be a top 3 fantasy RB

Draft prospects for 11 NFL teams with losing records at midseason

By Tony Pauline, Special to SI.com, TFYDraft.com

With the NFL season at the midway point, optimistic fan bases are looking toward the postseason. But what about the 11 teams with losing records? With their focus perhaps more on the future, let's take a look at their potential biggest needs and the current college prospects who might be available when their turn comes in next April's draft. (*Denotes underclassmen)

Buffalo Bills

2010 Record: 0-7

Potential needs: QB, pass rusher

Andrew Luck*/QB/Stanford: The growing consensus is Luck will be the first pick of the draft if he opts for the NFL, and most expect the redshirt sophomore to make himself eligible. He could be the franchise quarterback the Bills have been looking for since the retirement of Jim Kelly. Luck is NFL-ready and will be taking snaps early in his professional career.

Robert Quinn*/DE-OLB/North Carolina: Despite being ruled ineligible for the season, Quinn is a disruptive defensive presence who can stand up over tackle in Buffalo's 3-4 alignment or line up at defensive end should the Bills revert to a conventional defense. His upside warrants consideration in the draft's opening selections.

Carolina Panthers

Potential Needs: QB, WR

Andrew Luck*/QB/Stanford: Although Carolina selected Jimmy Clausen in the second round of the 2010 draft, Luck is just too enormous a talent to pass up if he's available.

AJ Green*/WR/Georgia: Green, another underclassmen expected to enter the draft, is a game-breaking playmaker at receiver. He's a larger and more explosive version of Steve Smith.

Dallas Cowboys

Potential Needs: DL, RT

Prince Amukamara/CB/Nebraska: Amukamara offers the Cowboys immediate help in the secondary. He's a high character prospect who would also add quality off the field.

Marcell Dareus*/DL/Alabama: Dareus has the talent to play a number of spots up front and could easily be All-Pro potential if he applies himself.

Denver Broncos

Potential Needs: DE, OLB

Cameron Heyward/DL/Ohio State: Heyward makes a lot of sense for Denver. The Ohio State senior has the versatility to line up as a two-gap end in the Broncos 3-4 alignment or at defensive tackle if they switch to a conventional four-man line.

Bruce Carter/OLB/North Carolina: Carter has a polished game and is a three-down linebacker. He's better suited to play in a 4-3 alignment, yet would immediately add youth and athleticism to the Broncos linebacker unit.

San Francisco 49ers

Potential Needs: QB, CB

Patrick Peterson*/CB/LSU: Peterson is a physical presence in the secondary and also a game-breaking return specialist. Although his game needs polish, Peterson comes with a big upside.

Jake Locker/QB/Washington: Locker hasn't had a good season and his draft stock has slipped, but there's no way San Francisco continues with Alex Smith?

Detroit Lions

Potential Needs: DE, OT

Tyron Smith*/OT/USC: Smith is one of the fastest rising juniors in the nation. He did a terrific job at left tackle as a sophomore before moving to the right side this year and has dominated opponents run blocking. The top six is early for his services, but the cupboard is bare at the top of the tackle class.

Aldon Smith*/DE/Missouri: Smith has missed time with a fractured fibula this season. When he's at the top of his game, the underclassmen is a disruptive sack-master. UNC's Robert Quinn also would be good value at this slot if available.

Cleveland Browns

Potential Needs: DL, RB

Nick Fairley*/DL/Auburn: Fairley is flying up draft boards and the first-year starter presently grades higher than Jason Pierre Paul, the South Florida product who came out of nowhere to be a mid-first round pick last April. Fairley lines up at defensive tackle for Auburn. He has the tools to convert to defensive end in a 3-4 alignment.

Mark Ingram*/RB/Alabama: The 2009 Heisman Trophy winner is a complete ballcarrier who can be a feature runner in the NFL. He has the style and substance to produce in the inclement weather of the AFC North.

Cincinnati Bengals

Potential Needs: DE, CB

Adrian Clayborn/DE/Iowa: Clayborn's speed and athleticism is a good fit for the Bengals four-man line. His ability to get to the quarterback would be a welcome addition for the Bengals' anemic pass rush.

Aaron Williams*/CB/Texas: Several scouts around the league think Williams' game is on a par with LSU's Patrick Peterson. He offers nice size, athleticism and top ball skills.

Minnesota Vikings

Potential Needs: QB, DT

Jake Locker/QB/Washington: Locker would be a step in the right direction for the Vikings. He has the underlying skills to be a starter in the NFL if he receives proper coaching and learns to become a complete passer.

Stephen Paea/DT/Oregon State: Paea's game has shown minimal improvement this year yet the senior is a high motor defender whose best football is ahead of him. He would add youth and athleticism to the Vikings interior defensive line and could make an immediate impact as a rookie

San Diego Chargers

2010 Record: 3-5

Potential Needs: OLB, WR

Aldon Smith*/OLB-DE/Missouri: Smith is similar to the recently released Shawne Merriman. He's a terrific pass rusher out of a three-point stance and possesses the athleticism to stand up over tackle and make plays in space.

Justin Blackmon*/WR/Oklahoma State: Blackmon has been tearing it up this season and is making many forget about Dez Bryant. His recent arrest for a DUI will raise red flags, but the underclassman has the skills to impact at the next level.

Arizona Cardinals

2010 Record: 3-4

Potential Needs: DL, QB

Cameron Jordan/DL/California: Jordan's draft stock has been steadily rising as NFL scouts love his ability to line up at a variety of defensive line positions or schemes. He's a hardworking athlete who would partner well with Darnell Dockett.

Ryan Mallett*/QB/Arkansas: Mallett's ability to challenge the vertical game will remind many of Kurt Warner. There are a lot of questions surrounding his game, yet no one doubts Mallett possesses the physical skills to start in the NFL.
The Browns do not need a RB. They could use help at many other positions before even thinking about replacing Hillis with Ingram.

I think If Ingram and Ryan Williams end up in equal situations Williams will be the better back for fantasy. Ingram will be very good but nothing special. In my opinion a high end RB 2. I think Williams follows the career path as someone like Rashard Mendenhall. But when Trent Richardson enters the NFL I think he will be a top 3 fantasy RB
IMO ryan williams is grossly over rated and not even the best rb on his own team much less the entire draft class.

you already know your 2011 draft order? and you'd be a fool to take green #1. not saying he won't live up to it, but you said it yourself that rbs go 1st. ingram will have more hype than any rb in the past couple of drafts. you could easily trade down a spot, take green, and have yourself an additional 2012 1st or more.
No, but I traded for another owner's pick who, as of this moment is in last by 3 games...Why would it be foolish to take who I think is the best player in the draft? Was it foolish to take Andre Johnson or Randy Moss first overall? I think he is that kind of freak...

Does anyone else think the Colts will draft one of the top WRs in next year's draft? Seems to me that only Reggie Wayne is a top end WR #1 and he's aging. They could sure use one of AJ Green, Jonathan Baldwin, Julio Jones, or Michael Floyd. I doubt they would draft Baldwin because of his off the field issues, but based on talent he's probably the 2nd best WR in this draft. Green will likely go top 15 so he's out of the discussion also. However, I could see Floyd or Jones dropping to the Colts.

Users who are viewing this thread