What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] 2016 Draft Class (1 Viewer)

Missed what boat? Higgins is who he is. You're selling him as the best WR in this class. He is not and I stated why I feel that way. if you believe in him so much, you are free to select him at 1.01 in your 2016 Rookie Draft. But you probably won't. Why? Because you're smarter than that.

Yes, DeSean's final college season is a outlier because his QB that year was horrible, just as Higgins Sophomore season could be an outlier because he had a good QB. He loses his Head Coach and QB this year. Then you won't have any good stats to cite, thereby calling his season an outlier.
So your reason is that he doesn't have the proper size... Really bulk... At 20 years old? I don't have Higgins in my top 5, maybe not even my top 10 but if this is your reason it's bizarre. Especially bizarre for someone who also is a big proponent of prospect age. What reason are you basing the age thing on then?
My reason for what? What point of mine are you arguing against?
I'm not arguing against any point. I asked pretty simple questions. Is bulk your main reason/concern for Higgins?

What is your reasoning for valuing age so much in prospects?

Missed what boat? Higgins is who he is. You're selling him as the best WR in this class. He is not and I stated why I feel that way. if you believe in him so much, you are free to select him at 1.01 in your 2016 Rookie Draft. But you probably won't. Why? Because you're smarter than that.

Yes, DeSean's final college season is a outlier because his QB that year was horrible, just as Higgins Sophomore season could be an outlier because he had a good QB. He loses his Head Coach and QB this year. Then you won't have any good stats to cite, thereby calling his season an outlier.
So your reason is that he doesn't have the proper size... Really bulk... At 20 years old? I don't have Higgins in my top 5, maybe not even my top 10 but if this is your reason it's bizarre. Especially bizarre for someone who also is a big proponent of prospect age. What reason are you basing the age thing on then?
I'm not arguing against any point. I asked pretty simple questions.Is bulk your main reason/concern for Higgins?

I'm not concerned about Higgins' size. I already stated why I bring up Higgins' size.

You can start here on why age is important when evaluating WRs: http://rotoviz.com/2014/01/whats-this-then-dominator-rating-and-breakout-age/

Rotoworld:

Nick Vannett - TE - Buckeyes

Ohio State senior TE Nick Vannett is the best senior tight end prospect in the country, believes ESPN's Mel Kiper.

The analyst pointed out that Vannett actually had more catches last year than Jeff Heuerman, a 2015 third-round pick of the Denver Broncos. "The Buckeyes don't need a lot out of this position given how well they run the ball, but Vannett will get his share of targets," Kiper wrote. Walter Football grades Vannett, who posted 19 receptions for 220 yards with five touchdowns in 2014, as a Rds. 3-5 prospect.

Source: ESPN Insider

Jun 25 - 8:42 PM

I'm not arguing against any point. I asked pretty simple questions.Is bulk your main reason/concern for Higgins?

I'm not concerned about Higgins' size. I already stated why I bring up Higgins' size.

You can start here on why age is important when evaluating WRs: http://rotoviz.com/2014/01/whats-this-then-dominator-rating-and-breakout-age/
So Higgins has a Breakout Age of 20 based on these numbers. Seems pretty good. Still, that article and all of the others they had where really just great sources of data. They never address the question of why. For example, here is a quote that gets to the basis of my question.

"A 23 year college senior putting up dominant numbers against opponents 2 years his junior is less meaningful than an 18 year old true freshman putting up the same numbers against opponents 2 years his elder."

Yeah, we know that. The question is WHY? Why do younger WRs who break out earlier go on to be more successful? I feel I've got a pretty good understanding of the why but was curious as to what yours was.

Last edited by a moderator:

So Higgins has a Breakout Age of 20 based on these numbers. Seems pretty good.Still, that article and all of the others they had where really just great sources of data. They never address the question of why. For example, here is a quote that gets to the basis of my question.

"A 23 year college senior putting up dominant numbers against opponents 2 years his junior is less meaningful than an 18 year old true freshman putting up the same numbers against opponents 2 years his elder."

Yeah, we know that. The question is WHY? Why do younger WRs who break out earlier go on to be more successful? I feel I've got a pretty good understanding of the why but was curious as to what yours was.
I'd say it has to do with accelerated physical and mental development, conscious and subconscious. Also, WRs who break out earlier are amassing production earlier. I see that production has "reps".

Preliminary top 10 WR for me.

Treadwell, Ole Miss

D. Williams, Auburn

T. Boyd, Pitt

M. Williams, Clemson

S. Coley, Mia

C. Robinson, ND

Duval, LSU

P. Cooper, USC

D. Robinson, Florida

M. North, Tenn

So no, Higgins isn't there. Granted a lot can change.

I think it is funny though that his only reasoning for higgins not being top 10 wr is bulk or 10 pounds onto his frame. Bizarre for sure. Either way none of us really know and we will see this year who the studs are.

Treadwell, Ole Miss

D. Williams, Auburn

T. Boyd, Pitt

M. Williams, Clemson

S. Coley, Mia

C. Robinson, ND

Duval, LSU

P. Cooper, USC

D. Robinson, Florida

M. North, Tenn

DeRunnya Wilson, Corey davis are in my top 5. Evan engram would be top 10 if switched to wr.

I think it is funny though that his only reasoning for higgins not being top 10 wr is bulk or 10 pounds onto his frame. Bizarre for sure. Either way none of us really know and we will see this year who the studs are.
Why is it "bizarre"? Because WRs the size of Higgins are dominating the league? It's more bizarre to claim a 6-2 188lb WR as "best in class". I haven't heard your reasoning on why.

Why is it "bizarre"? Because WRs the size of Higgins are dominating the league? It's more bizarre to claim a 6-2 188lb WR as "best in class". I haven't heard your reasoning on why.
read page 6 already explained why.

speed, big play ability yac. At 6-2 188 he could still put 10 pounds. 6-2 198-200 would be perfect. Fuller had 1094 yards on 14.4. Higgins had 1750 for 18.2 ypc.... That's how. He is just more explosive as evidence of his ypc.

speed, big play ability yac. At 6-2 188 he could still put 10 pounds. 6-2 198-200 would be perfect. Fuller had 1094 yards on 14.4. Higgins had 1750 for 18.2 ypc.... That's how. He is just more explosive as evidence of his ypc.
The question wasn't why Higgins is better than Fuller. The question was "Why is Higgins is better than all the other WRs in the class to be considered the best?"

Treadwell, Ole Miss

D. Williams, Auburn

T. Boyd, Pitt

M. Williams, Clemson

S. Coley, Mia

C. Robinson, ND

Duval, LSU

P. Cooper, USC

D. Robinson, Florida

M. North, Tenn

DeRunnya Wilson, Corey davis are in my top 5. Evan engram would be top 10 if switched to wr.
Isn't Wilson another one of those off the field darlings?

Rotoworld:

Memphis redshirt senior WR Tevin Jones "offers possibilities at the next level as fifth man on the depth chart," notes TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline.

At present moment, Pauline doesn't grade Jones as a draftable prospect. The 6-foot-2, 215-pound Jones had 33 catches for 442 yards and three touchdowns last year.

Source: TFY Draft Insider
Jun 27 - 7:59 PM

Rotoworld:

NFL Media draft analyst Lance Zierlein ranks Clemson junior WR Mike Williams as his No.4 wideout to watch in College Football.

"Williams has the size and frame that NFL scouts pay close attention to, but what I really like is that Clemson uses him as a big, downfield receiver rather than sticking him with a bunch of dink-and-dunk throws that wouldn't suit his strengths," Zierlein writes. The 6-foot-5, 205-pound Williams recorded 57 receptions for a team-high 1,030 yards, with six touchdowns in 2014. Zierlein notes that Clemson's deep-threat wideout had "20 catches of 20-plus yards last year" with "83 percent of his catches" going for first downs over the last two years.

Source: NFL.com
Jun 26 - 3:16 PM

JohnnyU said:
tdmills said:
jurb26 said:

Treadwell, Ole Miss

D. Williams, Auburn

T. Boyd, Pitt

M. Williams, Clemson

S. Coley, Mia

C. Robinson, ND

Duval, LSU

P. Cooper, USC

D. Robinson, Florida

M. North, Tenn

Marijuana possession this off-season. Do not think anything he has done warrants him being tagged as a character concern at this point.

JohnnyU said:
tdmills said:
jurb26 said:

Treadwell, Ole Miss

D. Williams, Auburn

T. Boyd, Pitt

M. Williams, Clemson

S. Coley, Mia

C. Robinson, ND

Duval, LSU

P. Cooper, USC

D. Robinson, Florida

M. North, Tenn

Marijuana possession this off-season. Do not think anything he has done warrants him being tagged as a character concern at this point.
Same as sammy watkins(caught 1 time), yet most forget he got busted for it

Xue said:
T with T said:

The question wasn't why Higgins is better than Fuller. The question was "Why is Higgins is better than all the other WRs in the class to be considered the best?"
you need to pay attention and read what people post. I already told you twice.. here let's go over it again with baby steps..

1. speed

2. big play ability

3. yac

any questions?

Xue said:
T with T said:

you need to pay attention and read what people post. I already told you twice.. here let's go over it again with baby steps..

1. speed

2. big play ability

3. yac

any questions?
That answer was in response to my "what makes Higgins better than Fuller" question. I think you're the one who needs to read your own posts better.

Corey Davis seems a little low at 19 to me
Rashard Higgins 21 is laughable. He may be best wr in class...
What's laughable is saying he's the best WR in the class. It's not even close. A 6-2 188lb WR is never the best WR in his own class, unless your name is Chad Johnson or Keenan McCardell. Even, then, both had great careers, but Chad was a 2nd rounder and McCardell was a 12th rounder (the last round). How many WRs the size of Higgins is dominating the NFL?

What makes Higgins so much better than William Fuller?
Speed, big play ability, and YAC can be used for a number of other WRs in this class: Mike Williams, Pharoh Cooper, Leonte Carroo, Travin Dural, Corey Coleman, Keevan Lucas, Corey Davis, Hunter Sharp. So what makes Higgins better than those names?

Last edited by a moderator:
JohnnyU said:
tdmills said:
jurb26 said:

Treadwell, Ole Miss

D. Williams, Auburn

T. Boyd, Pitt

M. Williams, Clemson

S. Coley, Mia

C. Robinson, ND

Duval, LSU

P. Cooper, USC

D. Robinson, Florida

M. North, Tenn

Isn't that how Josh Gordon got started?

Rotoworld:

TCU redshirt senior WR Josh Doctson "has big and reliable mitts," Scouts Inc.'s Kevin Weidl observes.

"TCU WR Josh Doctson has big and reliable mitts (10"). Natural catching away from frame and attacks the ball downfield," Weidl tweeted. The 6-foot-4, 190-pound Doctson recorded 65 receptions for 1,018 yards and 11 scores last year, and has been compared to Jordan Matthews by CBS Sports' Dane Brugler. Doctson and QB Trevone Boykin should have another monster season between the two of them.

Source: Kevin Weidl on Twitter
Jun 29 - 2:21 PM

How do the top two RBs in '16 compare to Gurley/Gordon?
I would say quite favorable with Elliot/Henry...
Gurley>>>Gordon>elliot>>>>> Henry
So are any of these 2016 prospects better than anything in the top 4 this year? Gurley, Cooper, Gordon, White?

Including Elliot and Henry would they be 1.5 and 1.6?
Yes. Treadwell would be 1.1.

JohnnyU said:
tdmills said:
jurb26 said:

Treadwell, Ole Miss

D. Williams, Auburn

T. Boyd, Pitt

M. Williams, Clemson

S. Coley, Mia

C. Robinson, ND

Duval, LSU

P. Cooper, USC

D. Robinson, Florida

M. North, Tenn

Isn't that how Josh Gordon got started?
Josh Gordon failed two drug tests at Baylor before getting kicked off the team and failed another one at Utah. Wilson is well-liked by his team and was simply in the car. He wasn't the one with the Marijuana. (Though, I'm sure he does/did smoke some).

Xue said:
Xue said:

1. speed

2. big play ability

3. yac

any questions?
That answer was in response to my "what makes Higgins better than Fuller" question. I think you're the one who needs to read your own posts better.

Corey Davis seems a little low at 19 to me
Rashard Higgins 21 is laughable. He may be best wr in class...
What's laughable is saying he's the best WR in the class. It's not even close. A 6-2 188lb WR is never the best WR in his own class, unless your name is Chad Johnson or Keenan McCardell. Even, then, both had great careers, but Chad was a 2nd rounder and McCardell was a 12th rounder (the last round). How many WRs the size of Higgins is dominating the NFL?

What makes Higgins so much better than William Fuller?
Speed, big play ability, and YAC can be used for a number of other WRs in this class: Mike Williams, Pharoh Cooper, Leonte Carroo, Travin Dural, Corey Coleman, Keevan Lucas, Corey Davis, Hunter Sharp. So what makes Higgins better than those names?
The question was "Why is Higgins is better than all the other WRs in the class to be considered the best?"

gianmarco said:
Gottabesweet said:
tdmills said:
T with T said:
So are any of these 2016 prospects better than anything in the top 4 this year? Gurley, Cooper, Gordon, White?

what makes you think treadwell would be higher then gurley, cooper, gordon, white, zeke, henry? i don't agree

gianmarco said:
Gottabesweet said:
tdmills said:
T with T said:

what makes you think treadwell would be higher then gurley, cooper, gordon, white, zeke, henry? i don't agree
Cooper is the #1 guy this year for many. Treadwell is the #1 guy next year for many. So all you really need to do is like Treadwell more than Cooper, and that's your answer.

Gurley was an overwhelming consensus #1 this year across all formats. I don't see anyone matching him.

I like the depth of the WRs, again. Seems I'm saying this every year anymore. I like Cooper better than anyone in this class, though.

RB is decent but not 15' caliber. QBs don't have a true #1, several can emerge, but I like the depth.

Has there been any discussion of Michael Thomas? He's a guy I've drafted late in every devy league I'm in. I actually can't figure out why there isn't more hype on him...

He was the best WR on the national champions and checks all the boxes physically: Size, speed, long arms, leaping ability, body control, strength, hands, etc.

Has there been any discussion of Michael Thomas? He's a guy I've drafted late in every devy league I'm in. I actually can't figure out why there isn't more hype on him...

He was the best WR on the national champions and checks all the boxes physically: Size, speed, long arms, leaping ability, body control, strength, hands, etc.
Devin Smith was the best WR for the national champs.

Devin Smith was the best WR for the national champs.
Agree to disagree. As an OSU fan, I've watched every game of both players' career multiple times. Thomas led the team with 54 catches vs. 33 for Smith and was usually the go-to guy on 3rd downs. Thomas also usually faced the opposing team's top CB and still made plays. OSU would use formations and motion to try to get Smith matched up on 1-on-1 vs. a slower Safety and then exploit the matchup the few times per game they had an obvious advantage. Smith averaged less than 3 catches per game and was used almost exclusively as a deep threat. Smith obviously was special in the deep threat role and many think he can be more than that in the NFL, but Thomas was a better all-around WR and I think a better NFL prospect as well. A lot of scouts seem to agree with my take on that, for example Dane Brugler.

Rotoworld:

Michigan State QB Connor Cook "has a lot of tools to work with," according to NFL Media's Daniel Jeremiah.

Jeremiah highlighted one play which showcased Cook looking left after play action out of shotgun, then hitting a receiver on the right with a defensive lineman closing in on him. It was a quick play but one some quarterbacks could not make due to frenetic behavior against interior pressure. That is not to say Cook always makes positive plays when facing rushers, far from it, but he has the level of ability to make difficult throws from an unbalanced base.

Source: Daniel Jeremiah on Twitter
Jun 30 - 9:50 AM

Rotoworld:

NFL Media's Daniel Jeremiah tweeted the positive and negative parts of Penn State QB Christian Hackenberg's current evaluation.

Obviously we have all seen the highlights of Hackenberg's career, many taking place during his freshman season. As Jeremiah puts it, Hack can make "special throws" due to a combination of placement and downfield ability. The negatives? The Penn State quarterback "needs to improve his decision making and touch." We can all agree 2014 was not a good season for Hackenberg, but thankfully another season of tape will be available for his evaluation. Was it the offensive lines fault? Coaching? Or did Hack compound the problem? Hopefully answers are created in 2015.

Source: Daniel Jeremiah on Twitter
Jun 30 - 9:24 AM

Rotoworld:

Ball State senior WR Jordan Williams' "speed is more than adequate to make plays downfield, and he tracks the ball very well down the sideline," writes NFL Media draft analyst Chad Reuter.

"He possesses a thick build that makes it difficult for smaller corners to press him at the line or fight for the ball downfield," Reuter wrote. "The last MAC receiver picked in the second round was Greg Jennings, a two-time Pro Bowler for Green Bay during his stint there; it won't be a surprise if Williams has similar success in the right situation." The 6-foot-2, 224-pound Williams earned a preseason Rds. 4-5 grade from TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline recently.

Jun 30 - 2:41 AM

Rotoworld:

Arizona State senior OW D.J. Foster's "athletic ability and competitiveness will help him learn and thrive quickly at his new position," believes NFL Media draft analyst Lance Zierlein.

Foster is moving from RB to WR -- though Arizona State offensive coordinator Mike Norvell says Foster will be played at every single skill position this year -- which Zierlein believes "should bode well for his chances on the next level." The scribe ranks Foster as the No. 9 receiver in the land. "Scouts are interested to see how Foster handles a full-time workload at receiver, but with his instant acceleration and willingness to finish his runs after the catch, my guess is that Foster's athletic ability and competitiveness will help him learn and thrive quickly at his new position," Zierlein wrote.

Jun 30 - 2:13 AM

Rotoworld:

Ole Miss junior WR Laquon Treadwell "has some of the smoothest footwork off the snap that you will find for any wideout in college football," believes NFL Media draft analyst Lance Zierlein.

The scribe ranks Treadwell as the No. 8 receiver in the country, a surprisingly low grade. "His stutter-steps into his routes and into his breaks create confusion and separation, and he runs like a running back after the catch with a combination of elusiveness and necessary toughness to rip through arm tackles," Zierlein wrote. "The negatives? Treadwell runs basic routes at Ole Miss and he must prove he can return at full-speed after suffering a broken fibula and dislocated ankle last season." The 6-foot-2, 212-pound Treadwell hauled in 48 receptions for 632 yards and five touchdowns for the Rebels last season prior to that November injury.

Jun 30 - 2:00 AM

I like him more and more as I gain more exposure to him. Acknowledging this is not a very dynamic statement, he just looks like a NFL receiver in everything he does. I would not be surprised to see him be the second receiver off the board in 2016.

Users who are viewing this thread