What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty Rankings (3 Viewers)

Britt has Bowe written all over him IMO. I don't think Moore was all the impressive either and this is a team that runs and runs. He's got not one but two guys looking over his shoulder right now and is a free agent so he basically has to get it done in the first 10 games or he's going to be a backup for a while.Coffee I don't have an opinion on.Wallace is one I like. Colt by all accounts might be a career backup. As for Delhomme, when John Fox benches you, that is bad. He's loyal to almost a fault. Wallace probably starts more games than any other QB this season in Cleveland IMO.
Moore definetely has people looking over his shoulder. That's why he's cheap and easy to get right now. I am very confident in his abilities though and I think the Panthers are too. Realistically, there is no way Clausen is ready to play this year. If he was, he wouldn't have been picked late in the 2nd round. So the only way Moore gets benched is if he sucks. And he was very solid at the end of the year against tough teams. I expect him to have a very, very good season and be a solid number 2.
As the Jimmy Clausen owner in the same league where Shader owns Matt Moore, I still agree with the above sentiment. I think Moore will have a fine season, and I don't think Clausen is close to pushing him . . . yet.

Britt has Bowe written all over him IMO. I don't think Moore was all the impressive either and this is a team that runs and runs. He's got not one but two guys looking over his shoulder right now and is a free agent so he basically has to get it done in the first 10 games or he's going to be a backup for a while.Coffee I don't have an opinion on.Wallace is one I like. Colt by all accounts might be a career backup. As for Delhomme, when John Fox benches you, that is bad. He's loyal to almost a fault. Wallace probably starts more games than any other QB this season in Cleveland IMO.
Moore definetely has people looking over his shoulder. That's why he's cheap and easy to get right now. I am very confident in his abilities though and I think the Panthers are too. Realistically, there is no way Clausen is ready to play this year. If he was, he wouldn't have been picked late in the 2nd round. So the only way Moore gets benched is if he sucks. And he was very solid at the end of the year against tough teams. I expect him to have a very, very good season and be a solid number 2.
As the Jimmy Clausen owner in the same league where Shader owns Matt Moore, I still agree with the above sentiment. I think Moore will have a fine season, and I don't think Clausen is close to pushing him . . . yet.
Shader's got him in my main dynasty league too... He must really believe in him. We'll see...

I don't really like Clausen, but if he does play great in preseason and in practice during the season, then I can see Moore leaving next off-season. Especially if Moore runs a very boring, but efficient offense, throws 20 td's and 10 int's and has 3300 yards. But in a dynasty league, I think Moore represents a high value for the future. This is a great opportunity to him in a great situation where he's the starting QB of a team with lots of playmakers, though he doesn't have to be the focal point due to the great running game.

I don't really like Clausen, but if he does play great in preseason and in practice during the season, then I can see Moore leaving next off-season. Especially if Moore runs a very boring, but efficient offense, throws 20 td's and 10 int's and has 3300 yards. But in a dynasty league, I think Moore represents a high value for the future. This is a great opportunity to him in a great situation where he's the starting QB of a team with lots of playmakers, though he doesn't have to be the focal point due to the great running game.
The one problem I have with Moore's long-term value is that he's always going to be a guy looking over his shoulder. In other words, it's going to be hard for his owners to firm up plans counting on him as a starter in 2011 and beyond.

The one problem I have with Moore's long-term value is that he's always going to be a guy looking over his shoulder. In other words, it's going to be hard for his owners to firm up plans counting on him as a starter in 2011 and beyond.
Derek Anderson had a ton of value right after his one good year. Startup drafts he was a QB1. Possibly a very similar situation, right down to the school of the rookie backup. One of my hesitations on Moore was how little the team wanted to give him a chance before the end of last year. He'd played and done well (won games) and they still stuck with Delhomme (and paid a lot to Delhomme to keep him around). Cleveland was pretty similarly unimpressed with Derek Anderson though.

2. Glen Coffee - Remember I said low-cost. His 2.7 ypc was atrocious and might signal a red flag to many. However, there are many rb's who had very bad rookie seasons and were still successful. According to football outsiders, the 49ers' OL was ranked LAST in the NFL in run blocking! When the 49ers drafted Dixon, this signalled a HUGE downgrade in Coffee in the eyes of most. However, Coffee is a hard worker and has busted his butt. If you look at reports, he gets nothing but praise for his off-season. He's reported to camp much stronger and in better condition. And after the first few days of camp, it seems that Dixon is nowhere near ready to challenge Coffee. A young RB behind a 27 year old superstar might not seem like the best situation...but Coffee can be had for peanuts right now, and my prediction is that he will be a starting RB one day.
:goodposting:

I personally would rank Sanchez at the bottom of those four because his numbers last year were atrocious. Also, he was on a team that didn't lean on him at all, and he still stunk.
I actually think he could be the best of that group in the long run. One thing I've been bringing up again and again in the Sanchez discussions is the fact that he was still an extremely inexperienced QB last season. Whereas guys like Henne/Freeman/Stafford all started for 3+ years in college, Sanchez only started for one year. Ranking these guys by college passing attempts shows the gap pretty clearly:Chad Henne - 1387Josh Freeman - 1151Matt Stafford - 987Mark Sanchez - 487That's a pretty massive difference. The fact that Sanchez played in a pro-friendly USC system and practiced against some of the best athletes in the NCAA on a daily basis probably helps offset his lack of gameday experience, but I think people need to remember that last year was basically only his second season as a starter since high school. Would it have been even remotely reasonable to expect flawless play in the NFL immediately? Of course not. A lot of people slap the "game manager" tag on him and say his team was only successful because he wasn't relied on to make plays. There's a little bit of merit to this. I think it's pretty clear that Sanchez didn't carry the team on his back during the regular season, but it's also clear that he didn't play poorly enough to break his team's back either. Contrary to popular belief, being a good game manager isn't easy. If any old QB could keep the offense moving without making costly turnovers or drive-killing mistakes, then wouldn't every team have a QB who fits this description? And yet at any given time it seems like 30-50% of the teams in the NFL don't have a QB who can fill even a game manager role effectively. When you think about it that way, calling Sanchez a "game manager" is actually a compliment. Having said that, the most encouraging thing about his 2009 season was his playoff performance, when he broke out of his game manager role and actually made a number of big plays that were critical to NYJ's deep AFC run. When people say Sanchez had a bad rookie year, it's almost like they're forgetting entirely about his playoff performances. On the biggest stage in the game playing against the best teams in the conference, he completed 60.3% of his passes at 7.9 yards per attempt with only 2 INTs against 4 TDs for a QB rating of 92.7. I think the true mark of a great QB is the ability to perform under pressure in big games. You can say whatever you want about Sanchez's regular season, but it's hard to argue that he wasn't excellent in the playoffs when it mattered most. It wasn't the first time he stepped up in the clutch either. College football fans might remember his Rose Bowl performance against Penn State, when he completed 28 of 35 attempts (80% completions) for 413 yards, 4 TDs, and 0 INTs. In summary:- In 2009 he was an extremely inexperienced player at a position where inexperienced players typically struggle. For that reason you can't view his struggles as a death sentence for the rest of his career. - Mediocre as he was in 2009, he was still the only first year starter to take his team to the playoffs. And...- He stepped up in the playoffs, delivering a couple good performances under pressure against quality teams.

Last edited by a moderator:
2. Glen Coffee - Remember I said low-cost. His 2.7 ypc was atrocious and might signal a red flag to many. However, there are many rb's who had very bad rookie seasons and were still successful. According to football outsiders, the 49ers' OL was ranked LAST in the NFL in run blocking! When the 49ers drafted Dixon, this signalled a HUGE downgrade in Coffee in the eyes of most. However, Coffee is a hard worker and has busted his butt. If you look at reports, he gets nothing but praise for his off-season. He's reported to camp much stronger and in better condition. And after the first few days of camp, it seems that Dixon is nowhere near ready to challenge Coffee. A young RB behind a 27 year old superstar might not seem like the best situation...but Coffee can be had for peanuts right now, and my prediction is that he will be a starting RB one day.
:X
Yeah, best case for Coffee is Gore blows his knee again, and he splits with Dixon until SF drafts another RB in 2011.There were rumors SF was considering Spiller, and the coaching staff wants to run the ball, so they won't be satisfied with a blue collar player as starter.

Lol, I'm not telling you guys to build your teams around these players! They are very, very cheap! Cheap flyers that could turn into real tradeable assets...aside from Moore, who I'm convinced can be a legit starting QB in the NFL.

I guess anything can happen, but I didn't like the Coffee pick at all when the Niners took him and I thought he looked pretty bad last season. Folks will point to his productive preseason, but I watched those games and came away unimpressed. Coffee was running through huge lanes that any NFL back could've exploited. He didn't "earn" many of those yards.

I personally would rank Sanchez at the bottom of those four because his numbers last year were atrocious. Also, he was on a team that didn't lean on him at all, and he still stunk.
I actually think he could be the best of that group in the long run. One thing I've been bringing up again and again in the Sanchez discussions is the fact that he was still an extremely inexperienced QB last season. Whereas guys like Henne/Freeman/Stafford all started for 3+ years in college, Sanchez only started for one year. Ranking these guys by college passing attempts shows the gap pretty clearly:Chad Henne - 1387Josh Freeman - 1151Matt Stafford - 987Mark Sanchez - 487That's a pretty massive difference. The fact that Sanchez played in a pro-friendly USC system and practiced against some of the best athletes in the NCAA on a daily basis probably helps offset his lack of gameday experience, but I think people need to remember that last year was basically only his second season as a starter since high school. Would it have been even remotely reasonable to expect flawless play in the NFL immediately? Of course not. A lot of people slap the "game manager" tag on him and say his team was only successful because he wasn't relied on to make plays. There's a little bit of merit to this. I think it's pretty clear that Sanchez didn't carry the team on his back during the regular season, but it's also clear that he didn't play poorly enough to break his team's back either. Contrary to popular belief, being a good game manager isn't easy. If any old QB could keep the offense moving without making costly turnovers or drive-killing mistakes, then wouldn't every team have a QB who fits this description? And yet at any given time it seems like 30-50% of the teams in the NFL don't have a QB who can fill even a game manager role effectively. When you think about it that way, calling Sanchez a "game manager" is actually a compliment. Having said that, the most encouraging thing about his 2009 season was his playoff performance, when he broke out of his game manager role and actually made a number of big plays that were critical to NYJ's deep AFC run. When people say Sanchez had a bad rookie year, it's almost like they're forgetting entirely about his playoff performances. On the biggest stage in the game playing against the best teams in the conference, he completed 60.3% of his passes at 7.9 yards per attempt with only 2 INTs against 4 TDs for a QB rating of 92.7. I think the true mark of a great QB is the ability to perform under pressure in big games. You can say whatever you want about Sanchez's regular season, but it's hard to argue that he wasn't excellent in the playoffs when it mattered most. It wasn't the first time he stepped up in the clutch either. College football fans might remember his Rose Bowl performance against Penn State, when he completed 28 of 35 attempts (80% completions) for 413 yards, 4 TDs, and 0 INTs. In summary:- In 2009 he was an extremely inexperienced player at a position where inexperienced players typically struggle. For that reason you can't view his struggles as a death sentence for the rest of his career. - Mediocre as he was in 2009, he was still the only first year starter to take his team to the playoffs. And...- He stepped up in the playoffs, delivering a couple good performances under pressure against quality teams.
Good stuff. I am as much concerned about what the Jets want to do on offense, as much as I am about Sanchez' prospects. I think he could turn out to be a fine football player, a winning QB, but not a great fantasy player. I am casting my lot with Stafford. I think he's got a bit of Favre in him, and think Detroit is planning on whipping it around for the forseeable future.

Good stuff. I am as much concerned about what the Jets want to do on offense, as much as I am about Sanchez' prospects. I think he could turn out to be a fine football player, a winning QB, but not a great fantasy player. I am casting my lot with Stafford. I think he's got a bit of Favre in him, and think Detroit is planning on whipping it around for the forseeable future.
Since drafting Sanchez the Jets have:- Traded for Braylon Edwards.- Traded for Santonio Holmes.- Tried to sign Terrell Owens.And yet people think they want to run the ball every down for the next decade. I don't have the quotes handy, but Ryan has already come out and said that he envisions QB eventually becoming a strength of the offense. No smart coach is going to pin his entire season on a rookie QB, so I don't think we can read anything into the fact that the Jets were a run-first team in 2009. If Sanchez turns out to be a Brady/Roethlisberger caliber player (which is still a big "if") then there's no reason to think that the Jets won't expand his opportunities. Regardless of what you think about Sanchez, I don't think you should view NYJ as a bad situation. They look like a winning team with a proactive coach who's willing to take risks to acquire players who can help his squad. Isn't that exactly what you want from a situation?

Since drafting Sanchez the Jets have:- Traded for Braylon Edwards.- Traded for Santonio Holmes.- Tried to sign Terrell Owens.And yet people think they want to run the ball every down for the next decade. I don't have the quotes handy, but Ryan has already come out and said that he envisions QB eventually becoming a strength of the offense. No smart coach is going to pin his entire season on a rookie QB, so I don't think we can read anything into the fact that the Jets were a run-first team in 2009. If Sanchez turns out to be a Brady/Roethlisberger caliber player (which is still a big "if") then there's no reason to think that the Jets won't expand his opportunities. Regardless of what you think about Sanchez, I don't think you should view NYJ as a bad situation. They look like a winning team with a proactive coach who's willing to take risks to acquire players who can help his squad. Isn't that exactly what you want from a situation?
Not a bad situation, but maybe not as optimal as the one I think Stafford is in. On top of that, I DO like Stafford better, I think he could be the next great one. When thinking about their fantasy prospects, I have a tough time envisioning Sanchez having as many chances as Stafford to pile up passing stats. With the defense the Jets have, I don't see Sanchez consistently chucking it around in the 4th quarter. I don't think Ryan is looking to have the team rely on Sanchez, whereas in DET I think that's exactly what they are planning on doing.

I think this will be an interesting season for Sanchez, Henne, Freeman and Stafford. I like all four actually. They all have positives and as with all young QB's who show potential, everyone is drinking the koolaid on these guys right now.

Sanchez did look pretty good in the playoffs, which is very encouraging...but we're still talking about a guy who threw for 2400 yards, 12 td's and 20 int's.

I'm not really DOWN on him, I just think the Stafford and Henne have better weapons (top 5 wr's). Sanchez does have some good talent around him now, and he's got a great running game to lean on..so those are positives..

However his mental fortitude will be tested in New York if he doesn't improve. The fans will forgive a rookie...but if he puts up another 12 and 20, then how will he react to the boo-birds?

:no:
Double :X :X. Not a :goodposting: fan, either.
:pickle:Follow the money. You want to know what a front office wants to do, just follow the trail of green. Add in Cotchery and Keller and I'd go so far as to say that New York has more weapons in the passing game than it does in the running game. Now it's just a matter of Sanchez taking advantage of them.

I guess anything can happen, but I didn't like the Coffee pick at all when the Niners took him and I thought he looked pretty bad last season. Folks will point to his productive preseason, but I watched those games and came away unimpressed. Coffee was running through huge lanes that any NFL back could've exploited. He didn't "earn" many of those yards.
He was always a tough runner in college. He looks much more physical in training camp this year, having put on 10 pounds or so (not always a good thing for a rb to put on weight, but in his case I think it is).My point is not that he should be a guy to rely on...but that I think Coffee is a guy you can get for peanuts right now, due to his low ypc and the drafting of Dixon.Gore traditionally gets knicked up a game or two a year...so Coffee will get the "showcase" 1 or 2 games. I think he'll be in a much better position to succeed, due to a better O-Line and his stronger physique.If he does, you might have yourself a tangible asset from a waiver wire flyer.

I think this will be an interesting season for Sanchez, Henne, Freeman and Stafford. I like all four actually. They all have positives and as with all young QB's who show potential, everyone is drinking the koolaid on these guys right now.Sanchez did look pretty good in the playoffs, which is very encouraging...but we're still talking about a guy who threw for 2400 yards, 12 td's and 20 int's. I'm not really DOWN on him, I just think the Stafford and Henne have better weapons (top 5 wr's). Sanchez does have some good talent around him now, and he's got a great running game to lean on..so those are positives..However his mental fortitude will be tested in New York if he doesn't improve. The fans will forgive a rookie...but if he puts up another 12 and 20, then how will he react to the boo-birds?
I think his mental fortitude is one of his strengths. I thought he handled the leaving USC situation extremely well, and he definitely didn't buckle under the pressure on the big stage last January/February.

I think this will be an interesting season for Sanchez, Henne, Freeman and Stafford. I like all four actually. They all have positives and as with all young QB's who show potential, everyone is drinking the koolaid on these guys right now.Sanchez did look pretty good in the playoffs, which is very encouraging...but we're still talking about a guy who threw for 2400 yards, 12 td's and 20 int's. I'm not really DOWN on him, I just think the Stafford and Henne have better weapons (top 5 wr's). Sanchez does have some good talent around him now, and he's got a great running game to lean on..so those are positives..However his mental fortitude will be tested in New York if he doesn't improve. The fans will forgive a rookie...but if he puts up another 12 and 20, then how will he react to the boo-birds?
I think his mental fortitude is one of his strengths. I thought he handled the leaving USC situation extremely well, and he definitely didn't buckle under the pressure on the big stage last January/February.
Right. He seems to have that killer instinct to make plays under pressure. I would say that's the hallmark trait of a legitimate NFL QB. With the great ones, you almost know that you have zero chance of stopping them when they're in the zone. I've seen Roethlisberger, Rodgers, Brady, and Brees all display this "God Mode" capability. Sanchez doesn't belong in their company yet, but he does give off that vibe of "give me the ball, I'm gonna make a play" rather than the dreaded deer-in-headlights expression that betrays people who play scared. IIRC last season he was actually giving Ryan grief about his limited role in the offense. I like that mentality in sports, especially from the QB position, where confidence and poise are paramount.

When people say Sanchez had a bad rookie year, it's almost like they're forgetting entirely about his playoff performances.
It's also likely that they look at his final stats and not his game logs (also the Jets weren't televised a lot last year so they probably didn't watch him a lot either). When he was bad, he was really bad: 15 of his 20 interceptions came in 4 games, as once he made a mistake he would try too hard to overcome it and force the action - that's a sign of inexperience.At times he played brilliantly for an inexperienced QB, and at other times he looked like an inexperienced QB. He did show some traits that leads on to think he could be special though. As you pointed out he played extremely well during the playoff run which bodes well for a young QB - on the biggest stage he did not fold and instead he was a lrge pat of the teams success.

shader said:
EBF said:
He was always a tough runner in college. He looks much more physical in training camp this year, having put on 10 pounds or so (not always a good thing for a rb to put on weight, but in his case I think it is).My point is not that he should be a guy to rely on...but that I think Coffee is a guy you can get for peanuts right now, due to his low ypc and the drafting of Dixon.Gore traditionally gets knicked up a game or two a year...so Coffee will get the "showcase" 1 or 2 games. I think he'll be in a much better position to succeed, due to a better O-Line and his stronger physique.If he does, you might have yourself a tangible asset from a waiver wire flyer.
Your Bama goggles may getting in the way here... He is entrenched behind a top runner talent wise and they drafted another RB to push him, and they will draft more runners in the future undoubtedly. I'm sure the Bama boards are buzzing about the beast Coffee and his extra weight to make him even more powerful... Time for another Friday beer.

EBF said:
Sanchez doesn't belong in their company yet, but he does give off that vibe of "give me the ball, I'm gonna make a play" rather than the dreaded deer-in-headlights expression that betrays people who play scared. IIRC last season he was actually giving Ryan grief about his limited role in the offense.

I like that mentality in sports, especially from the QB position, where confidence and poise are paramount.
When I read that, I thought one thing and one thing only: Joe Flacco, the most overrated piece of crap since Carson Palmer.

EBF said:
Sanchez doesn't belong in their company yet, but he does give off that vibe of "give me the ball, I'm gonna make a play" rather than the dreaded deer-in-headlights expression that betrays people who play scared. IIRC last season he was actually giving Ryan grief about his limited role in the offense.

I like that mentality in sports, especially from the QB position, where confidence and poise are paramount.
When I read that, I thought one thing and one thing only: Joe Flacco, the most overrated piece of crap since Carson Palmer.
Answer: Dan Marino, Jeff Garcia, Peyton Manning, Jim Kelly, Joe Flacco, Drew Bledsoe, Matt Ryan, Jake Plummer, Fran Tarkenton, Aaron Brooks.Question: Who are the top 10 QBs in fantasy points through two seasons?

EBF said:

Answer: Dan Marino, Jeff Garcia, Peyton Manning, Jim Kelly, Joe Flacco, Drew Bledsoe, Matt Ryan, Jake Plummer, Fran Tarkenton, Aaron Brooks.Question: Who are the top 10 QBs in fantasy points through two seasons?
:thumbup:

EBF said:

I don't care. It will never last. He'll end up in the Aaron Brooks camp, not the Manning camp.

shader said:
EBF said:
Shader's caught some flak here for this position, but I kind of agree with him to a point. People were sticking a fork in Coffee as soon as Dixon was drafted, yet DIxon isn't close to challenging for #2?I'm not counting on ever getting anything out of him, but Glen Coffee is certainly worth a late round lottery ticket in deeper roster dynasty leagues, and is a solid choice as a very late handcuff for Gore if the Gore owner is shallow at RB.Most dynasty owners are too quick to write young players off.

Guys, don't laugh, but if you want a dynasty league sleeper, I have one for you that is very low risk/very high reward potential. In 99% of the dynasty leagues out there he is likely sitting on the wavers. I just put in a $300K/6 year bid on him in my dynasty league. That is the minimum league salary, and max number of years. 75 million dollar cap.... and the player is.... drum roll please....

Jamarcus Russell.

You KNOW he will get a 2nd chance at one point, he has EVERY physical tool you would ever want in a franchise QB, he just lacked the maturity to work for it and the mental makeup. Let me run a scenario by you, just as a what if.

Lets say, his release from the Raiders, and his arrest for "purple drank" have woken him up, and he is finally ready to get serious, get in shape, smarten up and do the work to be a franchise QB.

Now, lets say, Favre watch works out and he does come back for one more year. Lets assume 2010 has to be his very last year, at some point he does have to give it up.

Now, what if the Vikes get Favre back for this year, and sign Russell to sit on the bench, work, and learn the playbook, and watch and learn from Favre. Then they hand the keys to the offense over to a motivated, in shape, and well prepared Russell in 2011?

This is just one instance and chances are slim and none that he winds up in such an ideal situation but its definitely worth the risk. Best case scenario you wind up with a dirt cheap franchise QB long term, worst case scenario he is never given a 2nd chance or if he is blows it, and you have to cut him for a minimal cap hit.

Think about it guys.

Guys, don't laugh, but if you want a dynasty league sleeper, I have one for you that is very low risk/very high reward potential. In 99% of the dynasty leagues out there he is likely sitting on the wavers. I just put in a $300K/6 year bid on him in my dynasty league. That is the minimum league salary, and max number of years. 75 million dollar cap.... and the player is.... drum roll please....Jamarcus Russell.You KNOW he will get a 2nd chance at one point, he has EVERY physical tool you would ever want in a franchise QB, he just lacked the maturity to work for it and the mental makeup. Let me run a scenario by you, just as a what if.Lets say, his release from the Raiders, and his arrest for "purple drank" have woken him up, and he is finally ready to get serious, get in shape, smarten up and do the work to be a franchise QB.Now, lets say, Favre watch works out and he does come back for one more year. Lets assume 2010 has to be his very last year, at some point he does have to give it up.Now, what if the Vikes get Favre back for this year, and sign Russell to sit on the bench, work, and learn the playbook, and watch and learn from Favre. Then they hand the keys to the offense over to a motivated, in shape, and well prepared Russell in 2011?This is just one instance and chances are slim and none that he winds up in such an ideal situation but its definitely worth the risk. Best case scenario you wind up with a dirt cheap franchise QB long term, worst case scenario he is never given a 2nd chance or if he is blows it, and you have to cut him for a minimal cap hit.Think about it guys.
I've thought about it. There are other guys out there that cost nothing and are far more likely to pay dividends. Like Brian Brohm. Or Nate Davis. Or Skelton, or Kafka. Dennis Dixon. Seneca Wallace. Tyler Thigpen. Josh Johnson. Brody Croyle. Or Troy Smith, or Pat White. This is just a brief list of QBs that I would MUCH rather burn a roster spot on because they're (a) more likely to actually start an NFL game in the next 2 years and (b) more likely to actually do something even remotely fantasy relevant in the next 2 years.There's a reason why no NFL team has shown even the faintest whiff of interest. Fantasy GMs should follow their example.

Guys, don't laugh, but if you want a dynasty league sleeper, I have one for you that is very low risk/very high reward potential. In 99% of the dynasty leagues out there he is likely sitting on the wavers. I just put in a $300K/6 year bid on him in my dynasty league. That is the minimum league salary, and max number of years. 75 million dollar cap.... and the player is.... drum roll please....Jamarcus Russell.You KNOW he will get a 2nd chance at one point, he has EVERY physical tool you would ever want in a franchise QB, he just lacked the maturity to work for it and the mental makeup. Let me run a scenario by you, just as a what if.Lets say, his release from the Raiders, and his arrest for "purple drank" have woken him up, and he is finally ready to get serious, get in shape, smarten up and do the work to be a franchise QB.Now, lets say, Favre watch works out and he does come back for one more year. Lets assume 2010 has to be his very last year, at some point he does have to give it up.Now, what if the Vikes get Favre back for this year, and sign Russell to sit on the bench, work, and learn the playbook, and watch and learn from Favre. Then they hand the keys to the offense over to a motivated, in shape, and well prepared Russell in 2011?This is just one instance and chances are slim and none that he winds up in such an ideal situation but its definitely worth the risk. Best case scenario you wind up with a dirt cheap franchise QB long term, worst case scenario he is never given a 2nd chance or if he is blows it, and you have to cut him for a minimal cap hit.Think about it guys.
I've thought about it. There are other guys out there that cost nothing and are far more likely to pay dividends. Like Brian Brohm. Or Nate Davis. Or Skelton, or Kafka. Dennis Dixon. Seneca Wallace. Tyler Thigpen. Josh Johnson. Brody Croyle. Or Troy Smith, or Pat White. This is just a brief list of QBs that I would MUCH rather burn a roster spot on because they're (a) more likely to actually start an NFL game in the next 2 years and (b) more likely to actually do something even remotely fantasy relevant in the next 2 years.There's a reason why no NFL team has shown even the faintest whiff of interest. Fantasy GMs should follow their example.
Perhaps so, but the only 2 on that list of guys I would even remotely consider having a chance of having value would be Dixon and Smith, and their chances are slim, and also, many more fantasy owners are clued into those guys. Most of them are already on a roster in my 24 team IDP dynasty. (same league I mentioned above.)

Most over rated piece of crap? Isn't that a little harsh for Palmer? He was on his way to a nice career before he had some nasty injuries.
Probably. But I can't stand him. He's always had a 10-cent head, even when he was producing. I've never seen a QB take so many delay of game calls - and be so genuinely surprised when the referee blew the whistle and threw the flag. He's clueless. Flacco seems the same way to me. Very Aaron Brooks-like, as a matter of fact. :thumbup:

Most over rated piece of crap? Isn't that a little harsh for Palmer? He was on his way to a nice career before he had some nasty injuries.
Definitely harsh. I've been rough on him over the past year, but he was legitimately an upper echelon franchise QB until 2008. And Flacco will be very shortly.

Guys, don't laugh, but if you want a dynasty league sleeper, I have one for you that is very low risk/very high reward potential. In 99% of the dynasty leagues out there he is likely sitting on the wavers. I just put in a $300K/6 year bid on him in my dynasty league. That is the minimum league salary, and max number of years. 75 million dollar cap.... and the player is.... drum roll please....

Jamarcus Russell.

You KNOW he will get a 2nd chance at one point, he has EVERY physical tool you would ever want in a franchise QB, he just lacked the maturity to work for it and the mental makeup. Let me run a scenario by you, just as a what if.

Lets say, his release from the Raiders, and his arrest for "purple drank" have woken him up, and he is finally ready to get serious, get in shape, smarten up and do the work to be a franchise QB.

Now, lets say, Favre watch works out and he does come back for one more year. Lets assume 2010 has to be his very last year, at some point he does have to give it up.

Now, what if the Vikes get Favre back for this year, and sign Russell to sit on the bench, work, and learn the playbook, and watch and learn from Favre. Then they hand the keys to the offense over to a motivated, in shape, and well prepared Russell in 2011?

This is just one instance and chances are slim and none that he winds up in such an ideal situation but its definitely worth the risk. Best case scenario you wind up with a dirt cheap franchise QB long term, worst case scenario he is never given a 2nd chance or if he is blows it, and you have to cut him for a minimal cap hit.

Think about it guys.
to a what now?in all seriousness, if you have an open roster slot you don't plan to do much with, in an extremely deep league with lax taxi squad rules, he might be worth a flyer just on age/tools. i don't think there's any chance that the vikings (who are in their championship window) hand the keys to anything over to Jamarcus if/when favre leaves without him proving a lot, probably somewhere else. I basically view him as the QB version of big mike williams (who, incidentally, is making a decent shot at a comeback)--when he comes back he'll be handed nothing and have to scrap his ### off to cling to a last roster spot. you can plug that in at WR, but at QB i doubt he'd get a chance to start for a couple more years after that.

Jamarcus Russell.

Think about it guys.
to a what now?
:no: Thank you, Ethnic Fury, for some much needed perspective here.

I don't know why we're even taking this leap of faith, but I'm wondering how the QB with the following is going to run a West Coast offense:

- The worst commitment level and footwork I've ever seen

- Major accuracy woes, including zero touch on short passes

- No ability to go through defensive reads

- Absolutely void of leadership

- One major strength, a cannon, that would fit well in a downfield attack

I don't care. It will never last. He'll end up in the Aaron Brooks camp, not the Manning camp.
Aaron Brooks had four straight top-10 fantasy finishes, including back-to-back 5th place finishes.
I'm talking more about what he's thought of as an NFL player, not a fantasy producer.
I'm talking about what he's thought of as a fantasy player, not as an NFL player. Hence providing a list of the 10 QBs with the most FANTASY POINTS through 2 seasons. That wasn't a list of the 10 QBs who were most highly thought of as an NFL player after 2 seasons. Also, my dynasty league doesn't yet award a bonus for being thought highly of as an NFL player, so... yeah, I'm really failing to see how this is relevant.Joe Flacco is among the 10 most prolific QBs ever entering their 3rd season. Of the other 8 (not counting Matt Ryan, who is also entering his 3rd season), the worst of the bunch provided 4 top-10 and 2 top-5 seasons. He just passed for 3600 yards last season, and actually got an NFL-caliber WR1 over the offseason.

I've thought about it. There are other guys out there that cost nothing and are far more likely to pay dividends. Like Brian Brohm. Or Nate Davis. Or Skelton, or Kafka. Dennis Dixon. Seneca Wallace. Tyler Thigpen. Josh Johnson. Brody Croyle. Or Troy Smith, or Pat White. This is just a brief list of QBs that I would MUCH rather burn a roster spot on because they're (a) more likely to actually start an NFL game in the next 2 years and (b) more likely to actually do something even remotely fantasy relevant in the next 2 years.

There's a reason why no NFL team has shown even the faintest whiff of interest. Fantasy GMs should follow their example.
Perhaps so, but the only 2 on that list of guys I would even remotely consider having a chance of having value would be Dixon and Smith, and their chances are slim, and also, many more fantasy owners are clued into those guys. Most of them are already on a roster in my 24 team IDP dynasty. (same league I mentioned above.)
Brian Brohm is engaged in a quarterback competition with Ryan Fitzpatrick and Trent Edwards. All he has to do is get past that murderer's row and he's starting WEEK ONE THIS SEASON. He was once thought of as a potential #1 overall pick, he wound up going in the 2nd round, and when he was cut teams actually showed interest in him. He should be a no-brainer add over Jamarcus Russell (for that matter, I might even take Ryan Fitzpatrick and Trent Edwards over Russell for the same reason).Nate Davis is stuck behind Alex Smith, a guy viewed as a Russell-level bust until halfway through last season. Which headline would be more surprising to you, really: "Niners bench Alex Smith" or "NFL team signs OffTheMarcus Russell"? If Davis does get a shot, he's got a solid O-line, Frank Gore, Michael Crabtree, and Vernon Davis to throw to.

John Skelton is stuck behind Matt Leinart, a guy viewed as a Russell-level bust until... well, he's still viewed as a bust. Which headline would be more surprising to you: "Cardinals bench Leinart" or "NFL team signs OffTheMarcus Russell"? If Skelton does get a shot, he's got the best WR in the entire NFL to throw to.

Mike Kafka is stuck behind Kevin Kolb, a guy who has attempted 130 career passes. Would you really be shocked if Kolb wound up being the next A.J. Feeley or Koy Detmer? Which headline would be more surprising to you: "Kolb not the answer" or "NFL team signs OffTheMarcus Russell"? If Kafka does get a shot, he's got Desean Jackson, Jeremy Maclin, and Brent Celek to throw to.

It's funny that you said you'd take Dixon and Smith, since those two guys are, in my opinion, the least likely to get their own job any time soon, stuck as they are behind Roethlisberger and Flacco. Still, both have great tools, both were great in college, and both have more value than OffTheMarcus Russell simply by dint of the fact that they're, you know, actually NFL players.

Seneca Wallace and Tyler Thigpen have both already been extremely productive fantasy players. Josh Johnson is a promising young QB who had the bad fortune of playing for a franchise with a more promising, younger QB. Brody Croyle is a short jump from the starter's position. Pat White was a 2nd round draft pick and is playing behind a completely unproven QB. I'd take any one of these guys over Russell in a heartbeat, and these were just the guys that sprang immediately to mind. I'm not going to say that Russell has zero value, but I will say that his value at this point approaches zero so closely as to be virtually indistinguishable.

Probably. But I can't stand him. He's always had a 10-cent head, even when he was producing. I've never seen a QB take so many delay of game calls - and be so genuinely surprised when the referee blew the whistle and threw the flag. He's clueless. Flacco seems the same way to me. Very Aaron Brooks-like, as a matter of fact. :goodposting:
I couldn't disagree more about Flacco. Whenever I have watched him play he has shown great poise and toughness and intensity. He doesn't look clueless at all.

love/buy lows (other than the obvious)

1 gore

2 rodgers

3 calvin

4 best

5 felix jones

6 michael bush

7 turner (non ppr)

8 romo

9 stafford

10 hakeem nicks

11 dez bryant

12 johnny knox

13 laurent robinson

14 devin thomas

15 mike williams(tbb)

16 lance moore

17 jabar gaffney

18 jason witten

19 zach miller

yuck (overvalued)

1 schaub

2 eli manning

3 mendy ( like the talent but team is a mess)

4 shonn greene

5 ryan mathews( i see a moreno like rookie year)

6 c j spiller

7 miles austin

8 colston

9 mike sims walker

10 v jax

11 brent celek

My big disagreements with your list.

love/buy lows (other than the obvious)

5 felix jones- Injury prone with a legitimate RB and TD vulture behind him.

yuck (overvalued)

2 eli manning- Career year with an inexperienced WR core and foot pain. Better receivers and no foot pain points to another career year.

3 mendy ( like the talent but team is a mess)- Young and talented. Steelers are a short term mess.

4 shonn greene- Hes solid and in a good position. Hes going about where he should.

5 ryan mathews( i see a moreno like rookie year)- Moreno had a solid rookie season going RB17. Mathews is on a much better offense.

7 miles austin- Very talented and has a full off season with starters reps. I don't see him slowing down.

Brandon Lafell appears to be doing what very few rookies have ever done in Carolina....ascending the depth chart. I like the kid's size but have read he was inconsistent in college. This seems to be the type of problem that a guy can overcome.

What is the prevailing opinion on Lafell? He appears to have all the tools and he doesn't have much in front of him in terms of competition. But can he actually make much of an impact this season and beyond?

Brandon Lafell appears to be doing what very few rookies have ever done in Carolina....ascending the depth chart. I like the kid's size but have read he was inconsistent in college. This seems to be the type of problem that a guy can overcome. What is the prevailing opinion on Lafell? He appears to have all the tools and he doesn't have much in front of him in terms of competition. But can he actually make much of an impact this season and beyond?
I still don't think Dwayne Jarrett even makes this team. Despite Kenny Moore's strong start to camp, I don't think he's a starting caliber player. Even with John Fox's loathing of rookies, LaFell has a good chance to start. The Panthers aren't going to throw enough for anyone but Steve Smith to be valuable at receiver. I'd call LaFell a "hold" for now. He has the talent to start in the NFL, but I don't think he's going to be useful in fantasy leagues for 2-3 years.

Any thoughts on Buccaneers RB Kareem Huggins? I've seen his name thrown out in different threads here about being a possible dynasty sleeper. Is there any substance to that besides him having 4.3 forty speed and Caddy being Tampa's current starter?

Hey F&L. Last season, you mentioned that one of you Ohio State buddies thought that Brian Robiskie was a player that should be avoided. Do you have a rookie that should be avoided this season?
I personally am avoiding Dexter McCluster because I think he'll be a better NFL player than fantasy player. I'm also avoiding Arrelious Benn and all RBs between Hardesty/Tate and the late-round duo of Karim/Scott. And, lastly, Colt McCoy.I haven't spoken to that particular friend as much lately because he moved to Vegas and has been swamped. I'll see if he can text me a few suggestions.
OK, I finally got that friend on the phone for a text message exchange. Here's how it went:Robiskie Hater: All last year I said Jonathan Dwyer was the most overrated RB ever, but NFL teams finally agreed with me after a lousy combine. Arrelious Benn has some ability, but I've never been a fan. After Mathews, Spiller, and Best, I thought this was an embarrassingly weak RB class. I mean, no upside at all. James Starks can do some things. Ditto for Anthony Dixon. Other than those two, this class didn't even offer interesting mid-round picks. Toby Gerhart I guess . . . maybe. At least he has good feet.

F&L: I hate the RBs after the top three, but no love for Deji Karim / Charles Scott?

Robikie Hater: I honestly don't know anything about Karim. I hate Charles Scott. The media kept trying to talk me into him. Never dominated despite opportunities to do so. But he moves pretty well for his size.

F&L: His Youtube highlights are awesome. He moves like a young Jamal Lewis.

Robiskie Hater: He just never put it together. He was a big deal coming out of high school and was a prominent member of a traditional top-10 power . . . and I was always left wondering why he wasn't much better. I definitely like Dixon better among power backs.

F&L: Yeah, but you gotta admit it's one position where it doesn't matter if you did anything in college.

Robiskie Hater: True, but he wasn't buried like Priest Holmes or Brandon Jacobs (the Auburn version). If Scott had 1,110 yards and 8 TDs this year, it would shock me. All things considered, this was just a lousy class. And to think Legarrette Blount was on pace for 2nd or 3rd-round status before the punch is laughable. No initial quickness at all.

Robiskie Hater: I really like Colt McCoy. Still can't believe he slipped so far.

F&L: Wow! Really?

Robiskie Hater: I think he can have a Jeff Garcia-like career. His feet/accuracy are awesome. Arm isn't terrible, great leader. He'll start games this year.

F&L: Maybe one game in December.

Robiskie Hater: I'm thinking five or six. Rich Gannon is probably a better comparison than Garcia. Throws underneath a lot.

F&L: That mobile?

Robiskie Hater: Yes!!! And smart mobile. Ran for almost 600 yards as a junior (and NCAA takes away individual rushing yards on sacks). Didn't run as much last year but threw up an 18-carry/175-yard game against Texas A&M. Ran for over 500 yards as a soph. Started every game as a frosh, can't find rushing numbers but probably 600 since freshman QBs take off more. Despite losing individual rushing yards on sacks, he probably finished with about 2,000 career yards.

F&L: You're crazy.

Users who are viewing this thread