What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Electrician help (1 Viewer)

bcat01

Footballguy
Mother-in-law has an old baseboard heater that quit working. The tag says it is a 240v. Hooked up a new 240v and it doesn't work. When turning off power I realized that the washing machine and wifi router also shut off. The outlet they are plugged into must run in line with the heater. Does this mean that the wiring is actually 120v and that is why the new heater will not work? The old heater looks 50 years old so maybe it would still work, but at a lower output and the new heater just won't work?

Mother-in-law has an old baseboard heater that quit working. The tag says it is a 240v. Hooked up a new 240v and it doesn't work. When turning off power I realized that the washing machine and wifi router also shut off. The outlet they are plugged into must run in line with the heater. Does this mean that the wiring is actually 120v and that is why the new heater will not work? The old heater looks 50 years old so maybe it would still work, but at a lower output and the new heater just won't work?
How many wires from panel and what color are they at the heater?

Wait, does this baseboard heater plug directly into an outlet? And does the outlet look like the other outlets, like the washer is plugged into?

Red and White plus a ground

Wait, does this baseboard heater plug directly into an outlet? And does the outlet look like the other outlets, like the washer is plugged into?
No it is hard wired. I find it odd that by unhooking the thermostat the outlet that the washer and wifi router is plugged into shuts off.

So it is technically possible that the old heater was a 240v but the circuit is 120.

"Installing a 240-volt heater on a 120-volt circuit is not as big a safety risk, but you will notice that your heater will fail to work most times. When it does run, it will end up giving out much less heat than what you needed for your room and below what you expected."

I would go to the box to see what the breaker is

If wired correctly that should be 120v. 240v can be 3 wires but it's 2 hots, hots should be black and red. White should be neutral. Only a guess though without measuring with a meter and I'm not a professional. :D

If wired correctly that should be 120v. 240v can be 3 wires but it's 2 hots, hots should be black and red. White should be neutral. Only a guess though without measuring with a meter and I'm not a professional. :D
Not always. People use the white on a breaker which is what I assume is happening here since OP said the old heater is 240.

So you attached red to one of the wires from the new heater and white to the other?

Not always. People use the white on a breaker which is what I assume is happening here since OP said the old heater is 240.
That's why I said "should". White should be neutral, black and red hot. It's not a "requirement" but it is what is typically done.

Users who are viewing this thread