What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Every Simpsons Ever Marathon (1 Viewer)

Didn't realize they killed off Maude Flanders. Any backstory on that? Rough way to go too. :lol:
Actress wanted to leave. Not on bad terms, but I think it was very time consuming for her especially since she was not an everyday character. They decided to kill her off as the best way to deal with her leaving. Again, I don't think any of it was bad terms.
I haven't sat in the top row at the ballpark since I saw that one.

Krusty: (Standing in front of his Krusty-O's cereal.)

Burns:(To Krusty, in the supermarket) "Excuse me, where are the Burns-Os?"

Krusty: "Forget it pops, they don't put nobodies on cereals."

Burns: (Eyeing a box of Count Chocula) "Hmm, I suppose these look enough like me..."
Broke Burns was hilarious. Same episode as when he was confused by there being both ketchup & catsup.

Krusty: (Standing in front of his Krusty-O's cereal.)

Burns:(To Krusty, in the supermarket) "Excuse me, where are the Burns-Os?"

Krusty: "Forget it pops, they don't put nobodies on cereals."

Burns: (Eyeing a box of Count Chocula) "Hmm, I suppose these look enough like me..."
Broke Burns was hilarious. Same episode as when he was confused by there being both ketchup & catsup.
Li'l Lisa Slurry

Oh happy day. Just realized I didn't drop FXX. Or they dropped it a tier or whatever. Don't care

The Krusty in Congress and Ribwich episodes were great.

Oh happy day. Just realized I didn't drop FXX. Or they dropped it a tier or whatever. Don't care

Holy crap, I just realized that I get it too :doh: It used to be part of a package I don't get when they first moved Sunny there.
Hmm. Maybe they did move it down a tier. Buying the Simpsons gave them more leverage I'm sure.

I cancelled the tier that formerly had FXX about 2 months ago and checked back last week and I definitely didn't have it.

Last edited by a moderator:
At 2 AM Central they showed "The City Of New York vs. Homer Simpson".

That episode was pulled from syndication after 9/11. I remembered Homer urinating in one of the towers, but had forgotten about Bart at Ellis Island yelling at a boat of immigrants: get out. America is all filled up.
" You heard the lady"

Holy crap, I just realized that I get it too :doh: It used to be part of a package I don't get when they first moved Sunny there.
Hmm. Maybe they did move it down a tier. Buying the Simpsons gave them more leverage I'm sure.

I cancelled the tier that formerly had FXX about 2 months ago and checked back last week and I definitely didn't have it.
What do you mean buying? Isn't FXX owned by 20th century fox?

One of my favorite lines, for some reason, gets cut in syndication. Maybe to save time or something, but it's a shame they cut it.

It's in the one Treehouse of Horror episode where Homer becomes 3-D. They bring in Professor Frink and he draws a square on the blackboard:

Frink: [drawing on a blackboard] Here is an ordinary square --
Chief Wiggum: Whoa, whoa -- slow down, egghead!

I use Wiggum's line all the time in real life when people start to explain something to me that doesn't need explaining. :lol:

One of my favorite lines, for some reason, gets cut in syndication. Maybe to save time or something, but it's a shame they cut it.

It's in the one Treehouse of Horror episode where Homer becomes 3-D. They bring in Professor Frink and he draws a square on the blackboard:

I use Wiggum's line all the time in real life when people start to explain something to me that doesn't need explaining. :lol:
:lmao: :lmao:That's great. Chief Wiggum rules.

My go-to Wiggum line is from when he got his tie stuck in the hot dog conveyor at the Kwik-E-Mart and was getting pulled into it, " This is gonna get worse before it gets better".

You know you're not supposed to go in there. What is your fascination with my forbidden closet of mystery?

:goodposting: I use that line frequently too.

Wiggum & his kid are both great.

"Ah, he's a dumb kid, but he's an above average dog. Roll over, son!"

They paid $750 mill to 20th Century Fox.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/15/5108102/the-simpsons-is-heading-into-cable-syndication

http://www.thewire.com/entertainment/2013/11/winners-and-losers-simpsons-fxx-deal/71656/

I was just wondering if FXX having The Simpsons and this marathon (obviously, a nice asset) maybe helped persuade DirecTV (my provider) to move them up a tier.

Sad to watch the episodes fall from greatness so quickly (couple days).
Interested in when people think the fall off began....for me -

season 10 - noticed some real stinkers but that happens

season 11 started the drop off more - but there was still some real good ones - tomacco

season 12 - big drop off for me - started losing interest....would miss one here and there but wouldnt run to record anymore

season 13 - after Halloween ep I stopped watching until Simpsons movie.

1st 10 seasons I was addicted so reliving these is awesome!

Homer: Uh...it's like...did anyone see the movie "Tron"?

Hibbert: No.

Lisa: No.

Marge: No.

Wiggum: No.

Bart: No.

Patty: No.

Wiggum: No.

Ned: No.

Selma: No.

Frink: No.

Lovejoy: No.

Wiggum: Yes. I mean -- um, I mean, no. No, heh.

Kiddnets said:
Sebowski said:
Interested in when people think the fall off began....for me -

season 10 - noticed some real stinkers but that happens

season 11 started the drop off more - but there was still some real good ones - tomacco

season 12 - big drop off for me - started losing interest....would miss one here and there but wouldnt run to record anymore

I'm a fan of the movie too. Surprisingly good, especially considering it came out around Season 19/20.

I've finally come to understand why I never got into it. I just don't like Bart.

I was 10 years old when it started. I just remember the show promoting Bart with all that "Cowabunga" bull####. Everything he said seemed stupid and being a 10-12 YO, I couldn't appreciate the many other characters that were actually funny. To me, it was just a cartoon an annoying "lead" and a fat, stupid dad that said some funny stuff some times.

I had written it off and forgot about it by the mid-90's, and thought it was just a stupid cartoon that came on before it was time to download some Kelly Bundy material into the spank bank on Sundays. Obviously that was quite an error.

Kiddnets said:
Sebowski said:
Interested in when people think the fall off began....for me -season 10 - noticed some real stinkers but that happens

I think you nailed it.

Didn't realize they killed off Maude Flanders. Any backstory on that? Rough way to go too. :lol:
(The Simpson family just gets done putting together a 50,000 piece jigsaw puzzle)

Ned: Homer, you're missing a piece to your puzzle.

Homer: You're missing a wife!

Ned: :lol: Walked right into that one!

Long Ball Larry said:
FXX used to be the Fox Soccer Channel. That's why it is located near all the sports channels.
Is this some kind of joke?

FXX is absolutely owned by Fox networks, but it seems like the different branches are operating independently here. I assumed before that Fox Entertainment was just using FXX as a vehicle for these episodes.

Kiddnets said:
Sebowski said:
Interested in when people think the fall off began....for me -season 10 - noticed some real stinkers but that happens

I think you nailed it.
yep,,, the tv didn't change channels for the first 8 seasons or so., after that I really didn't care.

but I did get all the tree house of horrors on dvr :moneybag:

My kids never watch anything I want to watch. I asked my 6 yo girl last night if she wanted to watch The Simpsons since she liked playing the Simpsons Tapped Out back when I played that. We watched Lisa the Vegetarian ep last night and she chuckled many times. Almost made me misty that she was enjoying that too.

Lisa: Dad, those all come from the same animal.
Homer: Heh heh heh. Ooh, yeah, right, Lisa. A wonderful, magical animal.

I've finally come to understand why I never got into it. I just don't like Bart.

I was 10 years old when it started. I just remember the show promoting Bart with all that "Cowabunga" bull####. Everything he said seemed stupid and being a 10-12 YO, I couldn't appreciate the many other characters that were actually funny. To me, it was just a cartoon an annoying "lead" and a fat, stupid dad that said some funny stuff some times.

I had written it off and forgot about it by the mid-90's, and thought it was just a stupid cartoon that came on before it was time to download some Kelly Bundy material into the spank bank on Sundays. Obviously that was quite an error.
When the focus shifted from Bart to Homer it really took off IMO

I can't really do it justice by typing it, but I love the episode where Lisa creates Linguo. Then she shows up at the wrong school where they are learning French. When the class finds out she's at the wrong school, they all laugh at her. But the French teacher says "Class! En français!" Then they all do that french sounding laugh. :lol:

Homer: Linguo.... dead?

Linguo: Linguo IS dead.

I can't really do it justice by typing it, but I love the episode where Lisa creates Linguo. Then she shows up at the wrong school where they are learning French. When the class finds out she's at the wrong school, they all laugh at her. But the French teacher says "Class! En français!" Then they all do that french sounding laugh. :lol:

Homer: Linguo.... dead?

Linguo: Linguo IS dead.
That's one of my favorite episodes. :wub:

Long Ball Larry said:
FXX used to be the Fox Soccer Channel. That's why it is located near all the sports channels.

FXX is absolutely owned by Fox networks, but it seems like the different branches are operating independently here. I assumed before that Fox Entertainment was just using FXX as a vehicle for these episodes.
Fxx had to buy the rights from Fox. They just can't hand them over, otherwise the creators and people on the backend get ####ed.

Long Ball Larry said:

Fxx had to buy the rights from Fox. They just can't hand them over, otherwise the creators and people on the backend get ####ed.
They have to be careful about paying close to market value, too. The X-Files creator and producers sued when FOX gave F/X a sweetheart deal on X-Files reruns when News Corp was launching F/X.

Long Ball Larry said:

They have to be careful about paying close to market value, too. The X-Files creator and producers sued when FOX gave F/X a sweetheart deal on X-Files reruns when News Corp was launching F/X.
Google tells me it was a 10 year $750 million syndication deal.

Ive been wondering why the Simpsons just isnt that good any more. I think most agree that years 3-9ish are the golden years.

I know writers have come and gone since then but my question is why havent they gotten the best ones like they used to have?

Do the best ones not want to write for the Simpsons? That would be seem strange considering its history and legacy.

Does Fox not want to pay for the best? They certainly could considering how much money has been and still is being made off the show.

Is it lack of material after 25+ years? Id think good writers could get around that.

Or maybe there is no reason to get better writers since the show still makes money regardless.

Ive been wondering why the Simpsons just isnt that good any more. I think most agree that years 3-9ish are the golden years.

I know writers have come and gone since then but my question is why havent they gotten the best ones like they used to have?

Do the best ones not want to write for the Simpsons? That would be seem strange considering its history and legacy.

Does Fox not want to pay for the best? They certainly could considering how much money has been and still is being made off the show.

Is it lack of material after 25+ years? Id think good writers could get around that.

Or maybe there is no reason to get better writers since the show still makes money regardless.
It is kinda hard to find the "best" writers. I've learned that these guys kinda have to be made for this type of show. There are a lot of these writers who have been successful on the Simpsons, but when they try to move to a live-action sitcom or other comedy project, they just can't do it. It's a subtly different skill set. I imagine the same thing works in reverse--that the best at writing other types of comedy then find it difficult to transition into animation.

Since there is such a dearth of places to grab writers from, that is, there's not many other animated shows to develop young talent kind of like a 'minor league' before being called up to the pros, it's hard to find the right writers early.

Also, the show is significantly different in focus. It went from a show about Bart to a show about Homer. Also, Homer himself has changed from "well-meaning, slow-witted, but charming doofus" to "possibly brain damaged simpleton". Maybe as Matt Groening, Mike Scully, and company got older and had their own families they wanted to focus more on the dad's role than the misbehaving son. The stories went from simple antics of the young to the concept-driven weekly issue stories; it's almost become like "Law & Order"/'ripped from the headlines' storylines (Homer gets Google Glass! It's all in Lego! Homer Goes to the World Cup!) instead of characters going through changes/learning things. Instead of character development from week-to-week, you have characters locked-in-place but thrown into new situations, and we just watch their reaction. It's a significant change in direction that happened early.
I dont know if I believe that there have been no writers available in the last 15 years that would be suitable.

The next Conan O'Brien is out there Im sure and money shouldnt be an issue in finding him.

Where did they find the writers from season 3-9?

Is it possible that there are just so many more avenues now for writers that you can't concentrate them in the same way?

Maybe they don't pay as much as some other gigs. I would think that The Simpsons has possibly the generated the most money of any show ever (including merchandise and everything), so maybe they don't feel the need to pay that much?

Instead of character development from week-to-week, you have characters locked-in-place but thrown into new situations, and we just watch their reaction. It's a significant change in direction that happened early.
This seems like the obvious answer to me. They never age, so there was only so much character development possible. After 100+ episodes, they are who they are...

The next Conan O'Brien is out there Im sure
Somewhere, sure. But NBC, CBS, Comedy Central, TBS, CNN, HBO have all been looking for the "next Conan O'Brien". Maybe the next Conan O'Brien wants to be in front of the cameras, like Conan O'Brien.

Where did they find the writers from season 3-9?
I don't remember for sure, but didn't a lot of them come from the Harvard Lampoon? That group goes in and out in waves. Sometimes they're good, sometimes they're not. We've got decades of National Lampoon movies that prove that. You might as well ask how come Saturday Night Live sucks some years. Where's the next Dan Akroyd, John Belushi, and Phil Hartman?

Talent is really, really tough to discover and develop.
Yeah the trick is to get the talent before they blow up. It must be out there but it seems whoever controls the Simpsons now doesnt want to make it funny like it used to be.

Watching the marathon, you really get to see how many jokes get recycled. The enormous big box/warehouse club store is a good example. Or "But you said..." "Yeah, I say a lot of things..."

The show was at its best when it skewered pop culture, politics and just stupid Americana trends. After a while, they'd destroyed them all. And the family had done just about everything...gone to Japan, outer space, been in movies, hung out with rock stars, etc.

It has seemed odd to me for at least 8 years that they are still cranking out new shows. But I still laughed my ### off this past week watching the classics.

Sebowski said:
Ive been wondering why the Simpsons just isnt that good any more.
Because Family Guy. That's why.
I think FG sucks now. It's become a show of trying to push the boundaries and too political. Boundaries being pushed are funny unless that's your goal. If you're just trying to be crass, it's kind of sad. I watch but I find myself rarely laughing. Stewie can still make me laugh, but that's about it.

Am I the only one out there that still enjoys all the seasons of the Simpsons? I never understood when people started complaining. :shrug:

Sebowski said:
I think FG sucks now. It's become a show of trying to push the boundaries and too political. Boundaries being pushed are funny unless that's your goal. If you're just trying to be crass, it's kind of sad. I watch but I find myself rarely laughing. Stewie can still make me laugh, but that's about it.
Family Guy is terrible now. The first couple seasons were good, but at this point its almost painful to watch. The South Park episode that skewered Family Guy didn't help either; really exposed the lack of creativity.

Simpsons is still OK IMO; it's hit or miss. Definitely better than Family Guy, but not nearly as good as stuff like Bob's Burgers and Archer. Any time a show is as great as this one was, people are always gonna kill it as soon as the quality takes a step down, like they're somehow ruining the legacy just because they don't make Last Exit to Springfield or Marge and the Monorail every week. It's kinda silly.

Sebowski said:
Family Guy is terrible now. The first couple seasons were good, but at this point its almost painful to watch. The South Park episode that skewered Family Guy didn't help either; really exposed the lack of creativity.

Simpsons is still OK IMO; it's hit or miss. Definitely better than Family Guy, but not nearly as good as stuff like Bob's Burgers and Archer. Any time a show is as great as this one was, people are always gonna kill it as soon as the quality takes a step down, like they're somehow ruining the legacy just because they don't make Last Exit to Springfield or Marge and the Monorail every week. It's kinda silly.
Yeah. I totally get that. Maybe it's because I never put the Simpsons on a huge pedestal. I mean, I've always loved it, but I didn't consider it a fine work of art. To me it's always just been really good. Maybe that's where the difference is. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread