What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Explosions at Boston Marathon (3 Viewers)

People should keep in mind that Chechnya has always been more about politics and submission than it has been about religion. I always felt horrible for Chechens until they started showing up in Afghanistan trying to kill us, then I stopped caring about their cause. Russians have done some bad #### to them though, some of the stuff that goes on there is pretty ridiculous in this day in age.
DD, quit saying Chechens. #2 is the missing Brown student. I imagine if all things uncovered overnight are true then the FBI will look lame after his disappearance, subsequent bomb disposal at Brown and then the note left behind, especially if that note stated his intention to do something like this and they couldn't stop him.
Say What?? Local police is reporting they are Brothers, from Chechnya.. Might want to refresh your reddit. :thumbup:
Funny how you just get to the party and you think you know WTF is going on because AP said 'Chechens'. Why don't you start at the beginning of the book instead of swallowing the last couple pages.

Wonder what the guy who got carjacked thought his chances were walking away unscathed? Staring at these two freaks with suicide vests on.

People should keep in mind that Chechnya has always been more about politics and submission than it has been about religion. I always felt horrible for Chechens until they started showing up in Afghanistan trying to kill us, then I stopped caring about their cause. Russians have done some bad #### to them though, some of the stuff that goes on there is pretty ridiculous in this day in age.
Still felt for them after the school massacre?
Wasn't that in 2004? I'm talking about 2002 above.

So this is just going to be two psycho kids with no real political agenda
Chechnya is heavily Islamic.
no it is two psycho kids with no real political agenda!
Some people want them to have a Muslim agenda. Probably has nothing to do with it but the Chechen problem is one we have always largely ignored. We have a few times told Russia that we didn't approve of what they were doing there, but that was pre 9-11.
They have a huge Islamic population. They have sent plenty of people to fight in Iraq and Afghanistan. Seems like a likely scenario to me. Not sure why you'd act like it's not a legitimate possibility. Seems a lot more reasonable than them being mad because we haven't nuked Russia for them or something
I know exactly where it is an what it's all about. I just know you really want this to be about religion, and it isn't.
No, I've been very careful not to speculate until now. Seems to me that you're the one that really wants it to be (or not be rather) something. Sorry it wasn't a tax protester like you had your heart set on.
maybe they are tax protesters!

So that one family's son went missing a month ago, bad enough, now everyone thought he was the terrorist for the past six hours?
Yeppers. And honestly... I didn't see the resemblance at all. They shared a bit of similar features but it completely did not look like the same person to me AT ALL. And when I stated that opinion I was almost literally called crazy. :sadbanana:
Good point, they look nothing alikehttp://i.imgur.com/3Bh7rkc.gif
Oh yeah definitely not the Brown kid?

So this is just going to be two psycho kids with no real political agenda
Chechnya is heavily Islamic.
no it is two psycho kids with no real political agenda!
Some people want them to have a Muslim agenda. Probably has nothing to do with it but the Chechen problem is one we have always largely ignored. We have a few times told Russia that we didn't approve of what they were doing there, but that was pre 9-11.
They have a huge Islamic population. They have sent plenty of people to fight in Iraq and Afghanistan. Seems like a likely scenario to me. Not sure why you'd act like it's not a legitimate possibility. Seems a lot more reasonable than them being mad because we haven't nuked Russia for them or something
I know exactly where it is an what it's all about. I just know you really want this to be about religion, and it isn't.
You can't say that with any amount of certainty. Seems you really want this not to be about religion and we don't know.
Chechnya has never been about religion, it has been about oppression. It doesn't matter now anyway, those who want it to be about religion got their way the minute we found out they were foreign and from a predominately Muslim region.
Chechnya may not be about religion. But that doesn't eliminate these two individual's action not being about religion. We just don't know yet. So to say it isn't about religion is wrong.
ok

So that one family's son went missing a month ago, bad enough, now everyone thought he was the terrorist for the past six hours?
Yeppers. And honestly... I didn't see the resemblance at all. They shared a bit of similar features but it completely did not look like the same person to me AT ALL. And when I stated that opinion I was almost literally called crazy. :sadbanana:
Also looks exactly like this kid: http://wac.9ebf.edgecastcdn.net/809EBF/ec-origin.chicago.barstoolsports.com/files/2013/04/BINbGzhCcAAQ0ZM.jpg-large-480x358.jpg

Because it is him.

DD, quit saying Chechens. #2 is the missing Brown student. I imagine if all things uncovered overnight are true then the FBI will look lame after his disappearance, subsequent bomb disposal at Brown and then the note left behind, especially if that note stated his intention to do something like this and they couldn't stop him.
Say What?? Local police is reporting they are Brothers, from Chechnya.. Might want to refresh your reddit. :thumbup:
Funny how you just get to the party and you think you know WTF is going on because AP said 'Chechens'. Why don't you start at the beginning of the book instead of swallowing the last couple pages.
:lol: well then if you say so.. I'll take your word over police officials, Local media, AP.. :thumbup:

Holy crap it looks like some of us missed some seriously historic crap last night. I've never realized the impact of social media until the past couple of days. It's insane. The world will never be the same.
It's not an exaggeration to say that social media and the Internet was at least an hour ahead on news compared to TV.
yep, it's amazing how much obtaining news has changed.

I was on here getting so much info and all the major news outlets just had reruns essentially.

Dude, you have to let it go. I know the fact the it is not the Brown kid blows up your whole "I can't believe how far behind the mainstream news" and "I am glad I have been following the police scanners and reddit for real news all night" agendas, but it time to give it up. The reason reddit can be in front of mainstream news is that they don't have to confirm anything. They can put out any info they get without verification.

Law enforcement officials are releasing info that it is not the Brown student. Reddit was wrong. You were wrong. It happens. Just acknowledge it and move on.

Holy crap it looks like some of us missed some seriously historic crap last night. I've never realized the impact of social media until the past couple of days. It's insane. The world will never be the same.
It's not an exaggeration to say that social media and the Internet was at least an hour ahead on news compared to TV.
That's because journalists are supposed to verify things before reporting them. Those who tried to shortcut things are going to a) get things wrong and lose credibility, and b) get sued.The N.Y. Post is going to end up paying that high school kid a few million dollars for calling hint a terrorist on their front page yesterday.

Franknbeans said:
That gif made it seem like they were more similar. And I already admitted that in this thread. But looking at Sunil's pictures, they didn't look like the same person to me. And apparently I was right, no?
No
No meaning Sunil is the second bomber suspect? That doesn't jive with what the news is reporting and this whole Chechnya thing.Unfortunately, Sunil (Something) has been missing and his family really wants to find him and the interwebs has been accusing him of being a mass murderer for the past day and he's just a highly motivated student at an Ivy League university who is most likely a victim of a crime and he's unfortunately probably not alive anymore. Which is sad. I think it's even more sad when victims' characters are assassinated when they don't have a voice.
Are you really going to just swallow this Chechnya BS because the AP reported it even after all the evidence been provided overnight while everyone was asleep and now that people are awake and they say Chechens you go 'Ah yeah, Chechens!' GTFO
So if it was Sunil, the American citizen who grew up on the Main Line in Philly, and who was at the top of his class at an Ivy League school, why exactly would the MSM be trying to steer guilt away from him and onto some obscure people from a country I haven't heard of until tonight? Am I supposed to continue to believe it really was Sunil, who is probably dead, even though objectively I didn't even think he looked like the guy in the pictures the FBI released? Why? Because 4chan figgered it out or something?
Just stop it. You're an embarassment to fftoday.
I don't want to post on fftoday anymore. That place is a pile of suck. That's why I'm posting here. So if you somehow think I'm trying to represent that pile of suck on a new forum and be like the spokesperson or something, you're wrong. And you should probably just run along because I really have no idea who you are nor do I care. Carry on.

Chechnya has never been about religion, it has been about oppression. It doesn't matter now anyway, those who want it to be about religion got their way the minute we found out they were foreign and from a predominately Muslim region.
I might be showing my ignorance, but wouldn't religion be the only justification for an attack in the US though?

I got the impression that we had historically been against Russia's actions there and that really only changed after 9/11 after fighters there got involved against us in Afghanistan.

How scared crapless is this ####### right now. Teenager with 9,000 cops after him and all alone now that his big brother is dead. Awesome. I hope he's curled up in a ball somewhere sobbing.

Franknbeans said:
That gif made it seem like they were more similar. And I already admitted that in this thread. But looking at Sunil's pictures, they didn't look like the same person to me. And apparently I was right, no?
No
No meaning Sunil is the second bomber suspect? That doesn't jive with what the news is reporting and this whole Chechnya thing.Unfortunately, Sunil (Something) has been missing and his family really wants to find him and the interwebs has been accusing him of being a mass murderer for the past day and he's just a highly motivated student at an Ivy League university who is most likely a victim of a crime and he's unfortunately probably not alive anymore. Which is sad. I think it's even more sad when victims' characters are assassinated when they don't have a voice.
Are you really going to just swallow this Chechnya BS because the AP reported it even after all the evidence been provided overnight while everyone was asleep and now that people are awake and they say Chechens you go 'Ah yeah, Chechens!' GTFO
So if it was Sunil, the American citizen who grew up on the Main Line in Philly, and who was at the top of his class at an Ivy League school, why exactly would the MSM be trying to steer guilt away from him and onto some obscure people from a country I haven't heard of until tonight? Am I supposed to continue to believe it really was Sunil, who is probably dead, even though objectively I didn't even think he looked like the guy in the pictures the FBI released? Why? Because 4chan figgered it out or something?
Just stop it. You're an embarassment to fftoday.
I don't want to post on fftoday anymore. That place is a pile of suck. That's why I'm posting here. So if you somehow think I'm trying to represent that pile of suck on a new forum and be like the spokesperson or something, you're wrong. And you should probably just run along because I really have no idea who you are nor do I care. Carry on.
I retracted my comment after, you know, actually reading the posts. Carry on yourself.

How scared crapless is this ####### right now. Teenager with 9,000 cops after him and all alone now that his big brother is dead. Awesome. I hope he's curled up in a ball somewhere sobbing.
I hope you are right that he is scared..

I fear he is holed up somewhere where he has more weapons/explovives and is planning his final act on his way out. :mellow:

Last edited by a moderator:
one would hope but he did escape from a shoot out so I'd doubt it.

I might be showing my ignorance, but wouldn't religion be the only justification for an attack in the US though?

I got the impression that we had historically been against Russia's actions there and that really only changed after 9/11 after fighters there got involved against us in Afghanistan.
The U.S. has continued to support Chechen independence throughout the years, even with their fighters showing up in our wars. The radicalization of Chechens has always been more about their internal struggle and less about religion, it is a cultural and ethnic struggle.

Here is a good somewhat recent report on what is going on there, might help some people understand a little better.

I try to keep an open mind about this but it seems like there is more that is going to come out. It obviously had nothing to do with al-Qaeda officially because it probably would have been more successful. I just hope they get suspect #2 alive so he can 'splain.

Sounds like our theroy's on why the FBI didn't release the photos earlier was wrong.

Sounds like they were afraid of exactly what unfolded.. They were hoping they could find these two and not escalate the situation.

But after a couple of days following all the leads they had, they felt they had no other course to go but to release the photos.

Sadly, thier fears came true :(

I might be showing my ignorance, but wouldn't religion be the only justification for an attack in the US though? I got the impression that we had historically been against Russia's actions there and that really only changed after 9/11 after fighters there got involved against us in Afghanistan.
I try to keep an open mind about this but it seems like there is more that is going to come out. It obviously had nothing to do with al-Qaeda officially because it probably would have been more successful. I just hope they get suspect #2 alive so he can 'splain.
How can anyone say something is obvious in this situation? There has been so much misinformation in the past week and we are less than 12 hours from when these two were identified. I don't think you can zero in on or rule out any motives or connections.

We may find that they had family/friends killed in Iraq or Afghanistan. Don't be so sure it's not Al-Qaeda connected, Ayman Al-Zawahiri himself went there to recruit fighters and money and almost got caught back in the 90s. More on Chechnya background

Sounds like our theroy's on why the FBI didn't release the photos earlier was wrong.

Sounds like they were afraid of exactly what unfolded.. They were hoping they could find these two and not escalate the situation.

But after a couple of days following all the leads they had, they felt they had no other course to go but to release the photos.

Sadly, thier fears came true :(
If they had waited wouldn't their be explosions going on all over MIT today?

Users who are viewing this thread