What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fantasy team names (1 Viewer)

Which fantasy team names do you prefer?

• NFL Franchises

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fake Teams

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Tradition dictates that you name your team after an NFL franchise. Call me a purist but our league did that for the longest time.

Recently some members decided our league wasn't 'cool' enough, so they're naming their teams after movie references or unfunny sexual innuendos. Now I enjoy crass humor as much as the next guy, but something about this gets on my nerves.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I never understood using real NFL franchises. When Donovan McNabb shows uip in my living room, I'll consider renaming the team Eagles. My 1st league used a different theme every year i.e. movie titles. Now I just use song titles because I like music and it is my team. :goodposting:

I'm all for a good joke, but the fact is not everyone should try to be a comedian. They're just not that funny, and as a whole, it makes the league look like a joke.
Unfunny innuendo wouldn't be my choice, but as long as your league plays the game seriously, I don't think it makes the league a joke. If they know it bothers you, maybe they are just having some fun at your expense.

I'm all for a good joke, but the fact is not everyone should try to be a comedian. They're just not that funny, and as a whole, it makes the league look like a joke.
Unfunny innuendo wouldn't be my choice, but as long as your league plays the game seriously, I don't it makes the league a joke. If they know it bothers you, maybe they are just having some fun at your expense.
:goodposting: Also, whomever mentioned the themes idea, it works too. Try that. Start with like "Prison Team Names."Your mates should then get creative.

Almost all of my team names are the same "Admire my Johnson" (Calvin and/or CJ3 owner in almost every league) :goodposting:

I prefer using a fake name. I also prefer to keep the same name year after year and I like it when other owners do the same. I don't mind what other owners name their team unless it's something very vulgar.

Wouldn't really be a fan of having a different theme each year since like I said, I don't changing my team name.

I use the name American Dreams, from the old NES game I used to play a lot when growing up called Baseball Stars for my hometown league. Using a name from a video game probably means I'm a dork, but whatever.

Also, in regards to the original topic, I would say naming a fantasy team after your favorite NFL team is lame. I will also say most sexual innuendos I've seen used as team names have been lame as well. Very few of them I find offensive though, just lame and douchie.

Tradition dictates that you name your team after an NFL franchise. Call me a purist but our league did that for the longest time.
:thumbup: You state this like it is a pillar of fantasy football. I'm not sure whose tradition you are refering to, but I've never once heard this in 15+ years of participating in fantasy football.

In one league I was in we used to ask that teams make a geographical reference to go along with the mascot in their team names (usually because it had something to do with where they were from originally - which was kind of cool - we had guys from all over the country in the league). But when guys wanted to get creative and do their own thing, we obliged.

If it is your tradition, I say by all means stick with it if you and your league mates enjoy it. On the otherhand, I wouldn't be so inflexible that I would have a problem if the other guys in your league wanted to show some creativity or personal significance in their names.

I think there needs to be a fusion of both. There are some really good fake names out there but also some terrible ones. Here is what you should do:

1) Let owners pick their own team names.

2) Vote on whether the team names are any good

3) if they are terrible force the owner to adopt a team like the Bengals or the Lions.

4) the shame of being unfunny will make them think twice about creating bad fake teams.

I think there needs to be a fusion of both. There are some really good fake names out there but also some terrible ones. Here is what you should do:1) Let owners pick their own team names.2) Vote on whether the team names are any good3) if they are terrible force the owner to adopt a team like the Bengals or the Lions.4) the shame of being unfunny will make them think twice about creating bad fake teams.
Agreed, I re named a 2007 team I had the Detroit Bengals.This years teams are.Off at Half TimePlaxico,s Pistol Packers( no reference to Green Bay there)

I've been in many many leagues since the early 90's and have never seen a league that uses NFL Franchise names. I've never considered any of the leagues that I've been in a joke because of that. It's kind of fun to use some creativity to come up with a name (and matching logo). A league with owners that look down upon that sounds about as much fun as an Accountants Convention in Nebraska.

I think there needs to be a fusion of both. There are some really good fake names out there but also some terrible ones. Here is what you should do:

1) Let owners pick their own team names.

2) Vote on whether the team names are any good

3) if they are terrible force the owner to adopt a team like the Bengals or the Lions.

4) the shame of being unfunny will make them think twice about creating bad fake teams.
Agreed, I re named a 2007 team I had the Detroit Bengals.This years teams are.

Off at Half Time

Plaxico,s Pistol Packers( no reference to Green Bay there)
C'mon...you're better than this. If one (or more) of the team's in the OP's league named their team like this, then I take it back. Force them to use NFL team names. For the good of all mankind.

I think you are 100% correct...how dare they not name their team the Cincinnati Bengals when they live 1200 miles from Cincy and are not fans of the team?? In fact, I think you should take it step further and go with "Team A", etc, etc... Is this a fishing trip? If so, kudos to you; if not, I am a little worried...

I've been in many many leagues since the early 90's and have never seen a league that uses NFL Franchise names. I've never considered any of the leagues that I've been in a joke because of that. It's kind of fun to use some creativity to come up with a name (and matching logo). A league with owners that look down upon that sounds about as much fun as an Accountants Convention in Nebraska.
:goodposting: a big part of the fun in FF for me, is the names and logos, and the smack talk. and yes, a lot of it is childish, toilet humor. i happen to be a fan of childish, toilet humor.in my main league some guys change their name and logo every yr. some guys have kept the same from the beginning. it's all fun. and the smack talk is legendary.

I thought half the fun was naming your team Ki-Jana Monologues, Tatupu Platter, Satan Manning, MendenHall N' Oats, Tenacious D/ST, Suck My Ditka, Le Big McFadden, Belichick Magnet, etc. etc.

I enjoy a mix of both, kind of. I think a team should be from somewhere, even it it is a ficticious place. And the team should have a mascot, so my team names are always like this. I encourage names that will stay with the team (ie you can't change your name every year to the joke of the day). As funny as Plaxico's Pistol Packers may be, next year it will be less so.

O Town AssKnockers

East Side Throat Pokers

etc...

:thumbup:

I'm in disbelief that anyone voted for NFL team names. That's not FANTASY football, IMO. If Ochocinco can change his name, so can the team owners in your league.

I thought half the fun was naming your team Ki-Jana Monologues, Tatupu Platter, Satan Manning, MendenHall N' Oats, Tenacious D/ST, Suck My Ditka, Le Big McFadden, Belichick Magnet, etc. etc.
Creative names above but most owners come up with horrible names like the 69ers, etc. However, using real NFL team names is equally lame.Location and nickname is the way to go. How far your league pushes the names depends on the group involved.

I prefer using a fake name. I also prefer to keep the same name year after year and I like it when other owners do the same. I don't mind what other owners name their team unless it's something very vulgar.

Wouldn't really be a fan of having a different theme each year since like I said, I don't changing my team name.

I use the name American Dreams, from the old NES game I used to play a lot when growing up called Baseball Stars for my hometown league. Using a name from a video game probably means I'm a dork, but whatever.
What, you didn't want to call your team the Lovely Ladies? ;)

I like to always have a city in my team name.

I never would use a current NFL team name, though I have used (in whole or part) defunct team names.

-QG

Tradition dictates that you name your team after an NFL franchise. Call me a purist but our league did that for the longest time.Recently some members decided our league wasn't 'cool' enough, so they're naming their teams after movie references or unfunny sexual innuendos. Now I enjoy crass humor as much as the next guy, but something about this gets on my nerves.
We used to have a guy in our league who named his team "The Ravens." We made of him constantly about it and he is now in AA and out of our football league. He also named his fantasy baseball team "the Orioles."Using real team names is just boring.

We use real cities in our team names, but not the NFL version of them.

For example, Seattle Stiffarms, Sherwood Shankers etc.

Agree 100%. Our league uses NFL team names and it's the only way to play. Whenever the Seahawks meet the Lions, you know it's a showdown with Tom Brady and Ladanian Tomlinson versus Big Ben and Portis, just like in real life. :thumbup:

Besides being a free league that you have to pay to join, I don't like how Zealots has the NFL names.

They aren't even in the right divisions :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread