What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Favre talking to others teams about Packers offense (1 Viewer)

Said defensive end Cullen Jenkins: “I don’t know if he’s done it or not. It’s one of those things, personally and I don’t know the situation, but I just think it’s kind of messed up how he left here. Hasn’t talked to Aaron [Rodgers], wished Aaron good luck or anything or like that but he’s called everybody else, called Tony Romo and stuff like that. I don’t have nothing against Brett personally. But I think in his position, he could at least show a little more class, a little more respect to Aaron in that regard. If that was the case, if he did talk to the coaches, I could see if he told his coaches if they were going to play us. That’s all right. But if you go out of your way to talk to another team, nah, I don’t think that’s right.”
now why on Earth would Favre call up Rogers to wish him good luck? did Montana call up Young to wish him good luck? Did any other player who got booted for younger talent call up the other player to wish them good luck? Why is Favre the ambassador of "showing class"? He's a competitor through and through. He doesn't owe, nor is he owed anything. People need to get off their high horse and let things be. Players sharing info about teams is not a new concept by the way. The year that Lawyer Milloy went from the Pats to the Bills, he gave the Bills a lot of useful info about his former team. I don't remember the score, but it was a total blowout in Buffalo's favor. It was said/written afterward that Milloy's knowledge of the Pats was instrumental in helping the Bills win that game.
Um, its different when the person is sharing info for a team he is not even on.
Is it different? How so? and please don't give me a "it compromises the sanctity of the game" speech. How about Lane Kiffin giving advice to JaMarcus eventhough he's no longer on the Raiders staff? Hmm?

The point is that a lot of players on differnt teams through out the league talk to each other about other players, how they handled other players, things they saw, etc. They might not talk about how to play against their own teammates, but i see this as being no different than say a DeAngelo Hall talking to Al Harris about how he covers (or doesn't cover) Chad Johnson. You don't think these type of conversations don't happen on a daily basis?
How can you not see the difference in giving a team you currently play for (the Milloy example you gave) and calling a team you are not even on...to give them info about your last team?Kiffin? He is not on any staff...and its a classy move to try to help out a kid you thought highly of and that may respect his opinion. Again...a terrible comparison.

And this is not players asking other players.

This is a player, again if true, going out of his own way to call another team...there is no motivation behind that to serve Favre or the Jets other than to be vindictive.

How anyone can spin this the way you have is beyond me.

And no, I don't think the type of conversation that Favre reportedly has happens on a daily, weekly, monhtly or yearly basis.

I think if it has happened before...it has been very few times.

I have been a Packer fan for as long as I can remember, and a Favre fan for his entire career. I have defended him through some of the lowest of lows, and cheered him on threw many great times. To me this is a completely classless act however, and indefensible. I am afraid it shows that Favre can be very juvenile and is far more bitter about this than I thought. Its a matter of character, and Favre isn't showing his very well right now. To those of you who are saying this is no big deal: In reality, the info that other teams have gleaned from Favre probably doesn't factor into the outcome of games. To me the real issues here are his motivation and character. Both look real bad for Favre right now. I have to wonder if this is going to impact the 20-25 million dollar marketing contract the Packers plan to give after his retirement? Could be very costly for the Favres.
:cry: Exactly...nobody in here is claiming the info is the big deal here. its not. Hell, may have helped the Packers given how Rodgers shredded that defense early on.Its about about just being a classless move from the guy that many have respected for a while.

Said defensive end Cullen Jenkins: “I don’t know if he’s done it or not. It’s one of those things, personally and I don’t know the situation, but I just think it’s kind of messed up how he left here. Hasn’t talked to Aaron [Rodgers], wished Aaron good luck or anything or like that but he’s called everybody else, called Tony Romo and stuff like that. I don’t have nothing against Brett personally. But I think in his position, he could at least show a little more class, a little more respect to Aaron in that regard. If that was the case, if he did talk to the coaches, I could see if he told his coaches if they were going to play us. That’s all right. But if you go out of your way to talk to another team, nah, I don’t think that’s right.”
now why on Earth would Favre call up Rogers to wish him good luck? did Montana call up Young to wish him good luck? Did any other player who got booted for younger talent call up the other player to wish them good luck? Why is Favre the ambassador of "showing class"? He's a competitor through and through. He doesn't owe, nor is he owed anything. People need to get off their high horse and let things be. Players sharing info about teams is not a new concept by the way. The year that Lawyer Milloy went from the Pats to the Bills, he gave the Bills a lot of useful info about his former team. I don't remember the score, but it was a total blowout in Buffalo's favor. It was said/written afterward that Milloy's knowledge of the Pats was instrumental in helping the Bills win that game.
Um, its different when the person is sharing info for a team he is not even on.
Is it different? How so? and please don't give me a "it compromises the sanctity of the game" speech.

How about Lane Kiffin giving advice to JaMarcus eventhough he's no longer on the Raiders staff? Hmm?

The point is that a lot of players on differnt teams through out the league talk to each other about other players, how they handled other players, things they saw, etc. They might not talk about how to play against their own teammates, but i see this as being no different than say a DeAngelo Hall talking to Al Harris about how he covers (or doesn't cover) Chad Johnson. You don't think these type of conversations don't happen on a daily basis?
Lane Kiffin calls a player for his former team and tries to tell him things about the Saints to help Oakland win. And this is comparable to Favre calling a team and coach he never played for and feeding them information as to hoiw to beat his former teammates. This isn't one player calling a friend to help that friend out in a game. Not even close. If Favre was feeding the information to the Jets to help the Jets beat the Pack, that's one thing (ala Lawyer Milloy). But here the allegation is that he is calling other teams on the Packer's schedule to help them.The story is that Favre talked to the coaching staff about Green Bay tendencies. And, it is not just one team, but every other team. AND, the Packers are not in the Jets division or even the same conference. So to do so, does not help Brett's current team one iota. As someone wrote earlier, shouldn't he be spending this time getting prepared for the Jets opponents. If true, it only shows how vindictive he as become. He doesn't care about his former teammates, he just wants the Packers to lose so that he can look better. What he should be doing is everything possible to help the Jets win so that his performance speaks for itself.

Now Brett denies the story. What else is he going to say. "Sure, I did it because I hate TT and the rest of those As#$)*#!". No he has to deny it. So we don't know if the denial is because its true, or because he is covering up.

Interestingly, Glazer says he stands 1000% behind his story, and that while the Packers had heard that this was occuring, the Packers were not his source for the story. Of course, Glazer would not say that the story is false either.

IF this is true (and we may never know), it is truly a sad thing. People who blindly love BF can sugar coat this anyway they want, but it is a sad thing if true.
I don't need to sugar coat it at all. No problems whatsoever. FWIW, I'm a 49er fan and couldn't give a rates ace about BF.
Yet you read and respond to a 2 page thread about him?????????????? Go figure!
Where I stand on this has nothing to do with Favre. Go ahead and make whatever leaps in logic you need to feel better about yourself.

springroll said:
wasnt the whole favre called the vikings from a packers cell phone thing made up? couldnt this be the same thing?Would seem like a great strategy to help your home crowd be willing to accept rodgers if he has a bad game or two.
The cell phone part was made up. The calls were made however...that much both sides (Minny and Favre) have admitted.
could i see a link for that? if they admitted to talking then wouldnt the tampering charges by the pack have been a slam dunk?

OK, here's a tidbit from PFT that I haven't seen elsewhere in this thread where Glazer explains why they were talking in the first place:

Glazer says that the situation arose while former Lions CEO Matt Millen and Favre had a phone conversation in connection with Millen’s interest in taking Favre hunting. As Glazer explains it, when the pair finally got on the line together, the dialogue coincidentally occurred in the week before the Packers-Lions game.Glazer attributes the discussion that ensued between Favre and Lions coaches to Favre’s affinity for holding court. “He just goes,” Glazer said, referring to experiences with Favre during production meetings from Glazer’s days as a sideline reporter.
So, it sounds like Favre does have some level of friendship with Millen and it was not a case where he just called the Lions out of the blue to give them tips. I'm back to thinking this is a bit of a mountain out of a molehill b/c it involves the name Favre. How often does this kind of information get shared where we just don't hear about it? If Glazer discovered it, but the player involved was P.J. Pope, would this story get any play at all? It's hard to imagine what kind of information he could have shared that made any real difference since they surely have changed hand symbols and audible calls. Maybe Favre was trying to stick it to his former team a bit and maybe he just likes running his yap. Either way I don't think this is some defining moment that tarnishes his image. If you hated him, you get another log to throw on that fire.BTW, I'm neither a Packer or Favre fan.

OK, here's a tidbit from PFT that I haven't seen elsewhere in this thread where Glazer explains why they were talking in the first place:

Glazer says that the situation arose while former Lions CEO Matt Millen and Favre had a phone conversation in connection with Millen’s interest in taking Favre hunting. As Glazer explains it, when the pair finally got on the line together, the dialogue coincidentally occurred in the week before the Packers-Lions game.Glazer attributes the discussion that ensued between Favre and Lions coaches to Favre’s affinity for holding court. “He just goes,” Glazer said, referring to experiences with Favre during production meetings from Glazer’s days as a sideline reporter.
So, it sounds like Favre does have some level of friendship with Millen and it was not a case where he just called the Lions out of the blue to give them tips. I'm back to thinking this is a bit of a mountain out of a molehill b/c it involves the name Favre. How often does this kind of information get shared where we just don't hear about it? If Glazer discovered it, but the player involved was P.J. Pope, would this story get any play at all? It's hard to imagine what kind of information he could have shared that made any real difference since they surely have changed hand symbols and audible calls. Maybe Favre was trying to stick it to his former team a bit and maybe he just likes running his yap. Either way I don't think this is some defining moment that tarnishes his image. If you hated him, you get another log to throw on that fire.BTW, I'm neither a Packer or Favre fan.
Huh, so there is actually a reasonable explanation? Where are all those who rushed to bash Favre over this earlier? Like I said before, he deserved the benefit of the doubt until the full story was known.There are a lot of people on this board who look for any excuse to bash Favre. :confused:

Huh, so there is actually a reasonable explanation? Where are all those who rushed to bash Favre over this earlier? Like I said before, he deserved the benefit of the doubt until the full story was known.There are a lot of people on this board who look for any excuse to bash Favre. :thumbup:
How does this not tarnish his image? Where's the reasonable explanation? This may tell us the context of the conversation but doesn't explain the content of it. We are supposed to brush this off as Favre just running his yap? He spent 60 to 90 minutes going over the nuances of the Packers offense with the Lions defensive coaches. That's not just running your yap. Favre is a very smart person. He likes to talk and run his yap but he also always knows what he is saying and its impact. He measures his words very carefully. He knew exactly what he was doing. And whatever happened to his "I'll always be a Packer" stuff and "I'll be pulling and cheering for my ex-teammates"? Seems like he pretty much threw them under the bus. He could write a book about how to commit character suicide in less then 6-months.

"He just goes"?Goes into 60-90 minutes of detailed discussion of the Packers offense to the GM of their next opponent?"He just goes"?How the #### is that any kind of excuse or justification for what Favre did?

wasnt the whole favre called the vikings from a packers cell phone thing made up? couldnt this be the same thing?Would seem like a great strategy to help your home crowd be willing to accept rodgers if he has a bad game or two.
The cell phone part was made up. The calls were made however...that much both sides (Minny and Favre) have admitted.
could i see a link for that? if they admitted to talking then wouldnt the tampering charges by the pack have been a slam dunk?
They admitted they spoke...they did not admit it was about anything.That is why there were no tampering charges.

Huh, so there is actually a reasonable explanation? Where are all those who rushed to bash Favre over this earlier? Like I said before, he deserved the benefit of the doubt until the full story was known.There are a lot of people on this board who look for any excuse to bash Favre. :kicksrock:
A. I did not see many just rushing to bash him. Just about everyone said...if true..if he truely called him out of the blue, it looks bad.B. There appear to be more people that just want to keep excusing him no matter what...and bash anyone that is critical of him.

Huh, so there is actually a reasonable explanation? Where are all those who rushed to bash Favre over this earlier? Like I said before, he deserved the benefit of the doubt until the full story was known.There are a lot of people on this board who look for any excuse to bash Favre. :jawdrop:
A. I did not see many just rushing to bash him. Just about everyone said...if true..if he truely called him out of the blue, it looks bad.B. There appear to be more people that just want to keep excusing him no matter what...and bash anyone that is critical of him.
Care to provide links to posts showing that those of us who think this is no big deal defended are Favre apologists?

Glazer says that the situation arose while former Lions CEO Matt Millen and Favre had a phone conversation in connection with Millen’s interest in taking Favre hunting. As Glazer explains it, when the pair finally got on the line together, the dialogue coincidentally occurred in the week before the Packers-Lions game.

Glazer attributes the discussion that ensued between Favre and Lions coaches to Favre’s affinity for holding court. “He just goes,” Glazer said, referring to experiences with Favre during production meetings from Glazer’s days as a sideline reporter.
So, it sounds like Favre does have some level of friendship with Millen and it was not a case where he just called the Lions out of the blue to give them tips. I'm back to thinking this is a bit of a mountain out of a molehill b/c it involves the name Favre. How often does this kind of information get shared where we just don't hear about it? If Glazer discovered it, but the player involved was P.J. Pope, would this story get any play at all?

It's hard to imagine what kind of information he could have shared that made any real difference since they surely have changed hand symbols and audible calls. Maybe Favre was trying to stick it to his former team a bit and maybe he just likes running his yap. Either way I don't think this is some defining moment that tarnishes his image. If you hated him, you get another log to throw on that fire.

BTW, I'm neither a Packer or Favre fan.
Huh, so there is actually a reasonable explanation? Where are all those who rushed to bash Favre over this earlier? Like I said before, he deserved the benefit of the doubt until the full story was known.There are a lot of people on this board who look for any excuse to bash Favre. :jawdrop:
How does this not tarnish his image? Where's the reasonable explanation? This may tell us the context of the conversation but doesn't explain the content of it. We are supposed to brush this off as Favre just running his yap? He spent 60 to 90 minutes going over the nuances of the Packers offense with the Lions defensive coaches. That's not just running your yap. Favre is a very smart person. He likes to talk and run his yap but he also always knows what he is saying and its impact. He measures his words very carefully. He knew exactly what he was doing. And whatever happened to his "I'll always be a Packer" stuff and "I'll be pulling and cheering for my ex-teammates"? Seems like he pretty much threw them under the bus. He could write a book about how to commit character suicide in less then 6-months.
:lmao:

Huh, so there is actually a reasonable explanation? Where are all those who rushed to bash Favre over this earlier? Like I said before, he deserved the benefit of the doubt until the full story was known.There are a lot of people on this board who look for any excuse to bash Favre. :coffee:
Care to provide links to posts showing that those of us who think this is no big deal defended are Favre apologists?
Why would I provide a link to you to show something that I never claimed to be the case?

Huh, so there is actually a reasonable explanation? Where are all those who rushed to bash Favre over this earlier? Like I said before, he deserved the benefit of the doubt until the full story was known.There are a lot of people on this board who look for any excuse to bash Favre. :coffee:
Why would I provide a link to you to show something that I never claimed to be the case?
You made the claim that people are defending him no matter what. Which people? What issues have said persons defended him over?

Huh, so there is actually a reasonable explanation? Where are all those who rushed to bash Favre over this earlier? Like I said before, he deserved the benefit of the doubt until the full story was known.There are a lot of people on this board who look for any excuse to bash Favre. :lmao:
You made the claim that people are defending him no matter what. Which people? What issues have said persons defended him over?
I made the claim that people are excusing him no matter what...more than people who are just looking for an excuse to bash him.How did you turn that into saying that those of you who think its no big deal are Favre apologists. I said nothing about those who think its no big deal.Twist it how you want...Im going to try and avoid an argument based on things I never even tried to claim.

players, coaches, etc all share info w/ each other about their former teams. the only difference hear (if true) is that this was done in a mean-spirited way. so what. get over it and move on.

players, coaches, etc all share info w/ each other about their former teams. the only difference hear (if true) is that this was done in a mean-spirited way. so what. get over it and move on.
They share info with their present teams about their former teams, but not with teams they have no particular affiliation with. This is Brett acting out of spite. If he had played special teams for the Packers for two years and shared information with the Lions, nobody would care. But given that he's an icon for one of the Grand Old Franchises in the NFL, so much so that they want to pay him millions of dollars after he (finally, no really, I mean it, FINALLY, this time) retires to act as the team spokesman casts a whole different color on this.

Not to make more out of this than its worth (which probably isn't much), but a friend of mine who works in the sports media just shared a private email exchange with a FOX NFL reporter in the NY area - basically calling him and his colleagues out on the fact that this topic wasn't raised in Favre's post-game media session on Sunday. The excuse given was a combination of the intense nature of the game, Favre's comment that it was one of his toughest losses ever and the resulting follow-up questions, Favre's style of long rambling answers and the Jets practice of cutting his media sesssions very short. He assured that the issue would be explored in Favre's media session later today.

Just heard Max Kellerman talk about what Favre said during his press conference on 1050 ESPN Radio here in NY area. Didn't catch too much but basically he did talk to Matt Millen, about hunting, tractors, and that the Packers had success with 5 wrs, and that it was evident on the game tape. Kellerman (or whomever was speaking on the radio) said it was basically nothing that they couldn't get from watching tapes. HTH.

Last edited by a moderator:
Millen asking him about it makes it a bit better.

But like the article said...Brett's response should have been to not comment.

It just looks bad that he was giving info to a team he does not play for about his former team. It makes him look like he is trying to stick it to them.

Some will call that bashing and say I just hate Favre...which is bull. Also, note this is the 2nd time in the past several months that he has texted a reporter to claim something was BS or just a rumor...and he was not being truthful about it.

It just looks bad that he was giving info to a team he does not play for about his former team. It makes him look like he is trying to stick it to them.

Some will call that bashing and say I just hate Favre...which is bull. Also, note this is the 2nd time in the past several months that he has texted a reporter to claim something was BS or just a rumor...and he was not being truthful about it.
Exactly. Favre appears really vindictive here, and apparently his teammates in New York have noticed as well.Glazer on Jim rome:

On what the Jets' reaction has been to this....

"I talked to some players in there, players and coaches. I asked them a couple of weeks ago and they said, 'It wouldn't surprise us.' I said, 'No?' They said, 'No. He is so...he needs to let it go. He is still very upset about this.' They were pretty adamant about his displeasure with the Green Bay Packers."

Exactly. Favre appears really vindictive here, and apparently his teammates in New York have noticed as well.Glazer on Jim rome:

On what the Jets' reaction has been to this....

"I talked to some players in there, players and coaches. I asked them a couple of weeks ago and they said, 'It wouldn't surprise us.' I said, 'No?' They said, 'No. He is so...he needs to let it go. He is still very upset about this.' They were pretty adamant about his displeasure with the Green Bay Packers."
I still love the guy, but his comment on Sunday that the loss to the Raiders was one of the worst defeats he's ever been associated with probably weren't lost on most Packer fans. A week 7 loss to the Raiders? We can all tick off from memory numerous shocking, devastating season-ending losses, not to mention at least a dozen or so terrible regular season losses over the years to heated rivals like the Bears, Vikings and Cowboys.

Millen asking him about it makes it a bit better.But like the article said...Brett's response should have been to not comment.
There are people I currently work with and people I have worked with in the past that if I approached them about something, they would be more than willing to tell me gossip or what was happening. I don't want to give Millen more credit than he deserves, because I think he is a moron, but maybe he knew Brett would be willing to share. I'm sure he knew Brett was a little upset with the Packers.

non story....media sensationalization... given the 3 page thread, the minions clearly ate the hook
Non story?One of the biggest names in football trying to stick it to his former team and pissing off his old teammates is a nonstory?

non story....media sensationalization... given the 3 page thread, the minions clearly ate the hook
Non story?One of the biggest names in football trying to stick it to his former team and pissing off his old teammates is a nonstory?
You disagree with everything i say regardless of which side i am on....You don't know what was said, you don't know their relationship... all you are going off of is extrapolations and fantasy.... Its highly unlikely Brett shared the packers gameplan for the lions because Brett is not currently on that team, nor receives that information.

Favre right now reminds me of Clemens during the roid situation. Aging, well connected, folksy, s-kicker, who messed up in a comparatively minor fashion who dug his own grave by trading on his own reputation for being a "straight shooter" and saw the media eat him up.

I agree. Favre is acting like a catty, spurned #####. Let's move on.

It is a non-story. Favre didn't initiate the contact with Millen and most of the pundits on ESPN today are calling it a non-story because things like this happen all the time in the NFL.

Millen asking him about it makes it a bit better.But like the article said...Brett's response should have been to not comment.It just looks bad that he was giving info to a team he does not play for about his former team. It makes him look like he is trying to stick it to them.Some will call that bashing and say I just hate Favre...which is bull. Also, note this is the 2nd time in the past several months that he has texted a reporter to claim something was BS or just a rumor...and he was not being truthful about it.
Favre made the effort to clear up the misconception about the text he sent. We was trying to deny he had the first contact with the Lions when he sent the text and then cleared that up to make sure everyone knew that Millen made the contact. You do hate Favre and your posts back that up.

Just as the trumped up charges made by the Green Bay Packers organization that the Vikings tampered with Favre, these "grumblings" and "whispers" haven't proved to be fruitful. Obviously everyone wants to lay this at the feet of a disgruntled Favre, but the reality is it's simply a petty Packer organization trying to lay low the character of the real victim in this scenario.

You disagree with everything i say regardless of which side i am on....You don't know what was said, you don't know their relationship... all you are going off of is extrapolations and fantasy.... Its highly unlikely Brett shared the packers gameplan for the lions because Brett is not currently on that team, nor receives that information.
he admits to talking strategically about the packers with a team he does not play for.its not about it helping..its about the appearance of that

It is a non-story. Favre didn't initiate the contact with Millen and most of the pundits on ESPN today are calling it a non-story because things like this happen all the time in the NFL.
so you think it looks fine for a guy to give info up about his former team...to a team he does no play for?i just dont get it.and its not just becauser its favre...if corey williams did it i would feel the same way

The Packers are the ones trying to sabotage his image. They are slinging mud and trying to play the victim here, just as they have tried to play the whole time he tried to come out of retirement only to lead them to another victorious season. They are spiteful and want to drag others into the mud with them.

Millen asking him about it makes it a bit better.But like the article said...Brett's response should have been to not comment.It just looks bad that he was giving info to a team he does not play for about his former team. It makes him look like he is trying to stick it to them.Some will call that bashing and say I just hate Favre...which is bull. Also, note this is the 2nd time in the past several months that he has texted a reporter to claim something was BS or just a rumor...and he was not being truthful about it.
Favre made the effort to clear up the misconception about the text he sent. We was trying to deny he had the first contact with the Lions when he sent the text and then cleared that up to make sure everyone knew that Millen made the contact. You do hate Favre and your posts back that up.
not one of my posts even gets close to showing i hate favrei hate him so much i stood up watching the last drive of his on sunday huh? hoping he would pull it off?so much thaty ill be in lp field hoping he has a good game against the titans in a few weeks?

Just as the trumped up charges made by the Green Bay Packers organization that the Vikings tampered with Favre, these "grumblings" and "whispers" haven't proved to be fruitful. Obviously everyone wants to lay this at the feet of a disgruntled Favre, but the reality is it's simply a petty Packer organization trying to lay low the character of the real victim in this scenario.
jay glazer is now the packers org?ted thompson ansd mccarthy have barely commented on itjust more baseless bs from a disgruntled vikings fan

The Packers are the ones trying to sabotage his image. They are slinging mud and trying to play the victim here, just as they have tried to play the whole time he tried to come out of retirement only to lead them to another victorious season. They are spiteful and want to drag others into the mud with them.
you would have a point if jay glazer worked for the packers or were his source

ted thompson ansd mccarthy have barely commented on it
What do you expect them to say?

So you seem to know for a fact that Glazer's source isn't connected to the Packers.

ted thompson ansd mccarthy have barely commented on it
What do you expect them to say?
exactly what they are...nothingfar from the claims of scotty that the packers are running some smear campaign or being pettyseems the evidence is pointing more towards favre being the petty onethough, not as bad as oringinally reported

So you seem to know for a fact that Glazer's source isn't connected to the Packers.
he said so numerous times actually

Users who are viewing this thread