What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Favre will play this year! (1 Viewer)

The streak talk is funny too.You think at this point he cares that much about the streak?A streak still not likely to be broken?
In all fairness, the streak was pretty important in 2008 when he continue to trot out as a Jet when he should've been healing...
While playing...sure, though, he probably felt even at whatever % he was, he was the best chance they had and that might be it for him.I don't think at this point he is sitting back in his La-z-boy worrying about the streak as a reason to come back or not.
I'm saying there is no middle ground with this guy. No, going on the PUP and coming back week 7. No skipping a few weeks and coming back. He plays week 1 or he doesn't play. The streak didn't matter those last 4 games in New York in 2008 but he still hobbled out there with no strength in his shoulder and couldn't throw it more than 20 yards. If he's willing to look that bad to continue the streak, that tells me it's that important to him. And yes, Peyton has a shot at breaking it. I want to say that Tom Brady did too until the injury.
I think its more likely after seeing others go through crap for 6 weeks, he may not want to still take the beating.But your last line is funny. Yes, until the injury. Its extremely hard to go through that many games without getting hurt. Of course Peyton has a shot as far as he has come so far. Just its so hard to do.I just don't think its any real reason he is weighing in coming back.I agree I don't see the pup as a real option as he would still be working from now til then. And I don't think it helps the team at all to put him on the PUP and have the other QBs just holding his place for 6 weeks either.

I think its more likely after seeing others go through crap for 6 weeks, he may not want to still take the beating.But your last line is funny. Yes, until the injury. Its extremely hard to go through that many games without getting hurt. Of course Peyton has a shot as far as he has come so far. Just its so hard to do.I just don't think its any real reason he is weighing in coming back.I agree I don't see the pup as a real option as he would still be working from now til then. And I don't think it helps the team at all to put him on the PUP and have the other QBs just holding his place for 6 weeks either.
I don't know how Manning does not break the streak. He takes one hit every three years.

The funniest thing about the situation is that Childress just signed an extension. So not only are the Vikings in jeopardy of losing the reason they had so much success last year...they're forced into keeping a guy who held them back.

It's like they lose the best thing about their team, and keep the worst. That has to feel good heading into what *could* be the last season before an ugly labor war.

Whether he plays or not, Favre had a great career and I don't think he cares about any of the teams he played for. I think he played exclusively for himself, and there's nothing wrong with that as long as he gives it his all on the field-- and he did.
I disagree. The Wilf Brothers have proven at every turn that they will spend the cash if they want a guy, so that tells me a little something about how they feel about their guy.You still have a really good team without a QB. TJack zeros in on his first read, and he always has so it's hard for me to believe that this is going to change. Talking to a few buddies down in Mankato it hasn't changed. Sage is falling apart in training camp and all he's doing is throwing INTs. Granted half of the line has been out and word is QBs are not having any time at all, but the NFC North has plenty of elite pass rushers and we have scary little line depth.
But it isn't a Super Bowl-caliber team. With Favre (as he performed last year) it is. I don't think a team can win a SB these days without that piece of the puzzle. The Ravens a decade ago were the exception. Maybe the Buccaneers, although Brad Johnson was pretty decent back then. But there's too much talent in the NFC to go to war in the playoffs without something special behind center. The Vikings don't have it without Favre. Like I said, I think they're taking the best thing about the team (or one of the best, since AP might be the best) out of the equation and leaving the worst. That's a recipe for disaster. I also agree that if the team is 2-5, Favre would have no reason to come back even if he needed more time to heal.

I don't know how Manning does not break the streak. He takes one hit every three years.
He's 34 now and needs 5 years to break it. Peyton's a god and if anyone can do it he can, but playing at 39 isn't the norm.Didn't he say he only wanted to play for a few more years? Can't find a link anywhere, but I seem to remember that.

He's 34 now and needs 5 years to break it. Peyton's a god and if anyone can do it he can, but playing at 39 isn't the norm.Didn't he say he only wanted to play for a few more years? Can't find a link anywhere, but I seem to remember that.
Don't forget he will be playing in an 18 game season which makes it fairly easy to break all the records. For all positions!

This is barely an exaggeration. He gets rid of the ball so quickly, and when he does get hurried he hits the deck like somebody is shooting at him. I don't think anybody hates contact more than Peyton Manning. I think he has a very good chance at breaking it provided he's willing to play long enough.

I don't generally agree with PFT on matters of news, but I think they are 100% correct here. The press conference will likely talk about Brett's charity or some golf tournament. "This is It" tweet will somehow be spun to say I think we have the Super Bowl team here. The presser will undoubtedly tell everyone rehab has been soooooo hard and the ankle's not responding. That's he's trying his hardest. That he WANTS to be in training camp. That he has spent his lifetime to be in this situation to take this great team to it's rightful place in history.

But I am old. I don't know if I can get there. He will mention the ankle a bunch more times. There will be some truth to all of this of course, but I think this also is because Favre wants to stay in the news and he wants a convenient excuse should he start throwing massive interceptions again. He does not want to go out as the benched guy that overstayed his welcome. I think he fears that more than anything else right now.`

cue 4 days before the New Orleans opener and the Great One announces...I am going to do my best everyone. I will play with a crutch if I have to. I love the game too much to quit it on someone elses terms. I thank all the fans that have believed in me and continue to believe in me. ...."This is It!" he shouts to the media taking every ounce in.

and the New Orleans / Minnesota game opens to HUGE ratings.

I will believe Tavaris Jackson is the starter AFTER he starts week 1 of the season. Favre doesn't want to just fade away. He wants to be the story. Minnesota plays the opener against the defending champions...a team that Minnesota played tough in the playoffs (and should have won had they not had 4 turnovers in the redzone).

No way this story ends today. It's just getting going people.

Lance Briggs on Brett Favre: "I won't believe it until I see Tavaris Jackson starting against us."
This is the way I see it too. I will believe Favre is retired when he is not lined up behind center for the Vikings first play of the season. If he does walk away, that is one hell of a time to do so. The Vikings have a Super Bowl team and should have won it last year but the whole team fell flat against New Orleans. 500 TD's and 70,000 yards are staring at him. I hope he comes back.

This is all about

JAY GLAZER

Wants to be first whether its right or wrong. He is media at its WORST.

Saying it right now. Peyton Manning is going to retire. Doesn't make a difference when (6 or 7 years from now) - I am now on record as reporting it FIRST.

I know Favre has some excellent characteristics as a QB, and I'm not saying he's not better than their other current options. But the simple fact is Favre has now ended three seasons for three different (good to great) teams by throwing AWFUL interceptions. I'm sure lots of folks would be willing to jump in and defend all of those plays, but it sure seems to me that when it really matters in the late regular season and post-season, he's not really been that extraordinary for a while.

Is it REALLY that big a deal (from a team perspective) that he's not coming back? Sure, you have a better shot at getting to the playoffs with Favre at the helm, but what's he gonna do when he gets there? It almost seems like he is DESPERATE to go out in a blaze of personal glory, whether or not that's in the team's best interests at the time.

David Dodds said:
I don't generally agree with PFT on matters of news, but I think they are 100% correct here. The press conference will likely talk about Brett's charity or some golf tournament. "This is It" tweet will somehow be spun to say I think we have the Super Bowl team here. The presser will undoubtedly tell everyone rehab has been soooooo hard and the ankle's not responding. That's he's trying his hardest. That he WANTS to be in training camp. That he has spent his lifetime to be in this situation to take this great team to it's rightful place in history.But I am old. I don't know if I can get there. He will mention the ankle a bunch more times. There will be some truth to all of this of course, but I think this also is because Favre wants to stay in the news and he wants a convenient excuse should he start throwing massive interceptions again. He does not want to go out as the benched guy that overstayed his welcome. I think he fears that more than anything else right now.` cue 4 days before the New Orleans opener and the Great One announces...I am going to do my best everyone. I will play with a crutch if I have to. I love the game too much to quit it on someone elses terms. I thank all the fans that have believed in me and continue to believe in me. ...."This is It!" he shouts to the media taking every ounce in.and the New Orleans / Minnesota game opens to HUGE ratings.I will believe Tavaris Jackson is the starter AFTER he starts week 1 of the season. Favre doesn't want to just fade away. He wants to be the story. Minnesota plays the opener against the defending champions...a team that Minnesota played tough in the playoffs (and should have won had they not had 4 turnovers in the redzone).No way this story ends today. It's just getting going people.
Still going on record as him having the same chance of retiring as Brees?

griff321 said:
David Dodds said:
No way this story ends today. It's just getting going people.
:goodposting: I hope that's true.
I disagree with the notion that the Favre retirement saga is "just getting going", but otherwise would say of course its true that this doesn't end today. Nothing has happened today other than another in a long long history of emails, tweets and texts from journalists pretending they have some inside info on Favre's status. Favre hasn't said anything today, nor have the Vikings really (not that any statements from either would be definitive in any case). This "story" is a zero - no value whatsoever.

I won't believe it til he is not out there at some point.However, if its true...Im surprised he would do this to any team. Thought for sure he would play...but if the ankle is really bothering him, than I can't blame him.Just wow...sucks for Vikings fans.
Sho Nuff: I know you are a Packer fan and appreciate your classy response.And TBH, I agree, that until I don't see him out there I won' believe it either. But the way his ankle was twisted around in that NO game this doesn't surprise me. I just don't understand why he didn't get the surgery earlier. Now the Vikings are really going to regret not going hard after McNabb, who would have been the perfect fit to their offense. We will have a shot with Jackson, but basically the Central is wide open if this turns out to be true.

Last edited by a moderator:
Won't it be nice when the day comes we don't have to talk about this anymore? It sure is old. I'm sick of Brett Favre.

Billy1x said:
This is all about

JAY GLAZER

Saying it right now. Peyton Manning is going to retire. Doesn't make a difference when (6 or 7 years from now) - I am now on record as reporting it FIRST.
:thumbup: Guy is just terrible.

Won't it be nice when the day comes we don't have to talk about this anymore? It sure is old. I'm sick of Brett Favre.
You should be happy with all of the media attention focusing on Favre because when Favre is gone the media attention is going to fall squarely on your little boys shoulders. When is Peyton going to retire? [Glazer]"I received a text from Peyton saying he felt bad today after eating some raw fish. He is thinking about retiring."[/Glazer] Yeah, rev up the engines because the Manning talk will go on for one, two, three, years as well.

You should be happy with all of the media attention focusing on Favre because when Favre is gone the media attention is going to fall squarely on your little boys shoulders. When is Peyton going to retire? [Glazer]"I received a text from Peyton saying he felt bad today after eating some raw fish. He is thinking about retiring."[/Glazer] Yeah, rev up the engines because the Manning talk will go on for one, two, three, years as well.
Sorry, I can't see this happening...not at all.

Vikings K Ryan Longwell -- one of Brett Favre's best longtime pals -- revealed that he spoke to Favre on Tuesday and retirement talk never came up.

"I talked with Brett and haven't heard that," said Longwell. "He didn't tell me that. I don't know where the reports came from, but he certainly hasn't said that to me." Added Jason La Canfora of the NFL Network on Tuesday afternoon: "I still do not believe Brett Favre has thrown his last NFL pass."

http://wcco.com/sports/brett.favre.retiring.2.1840463.html

Vikings K Ryan Longwell -- one of Brett Favre's best longtime pals -- revealed that he spoke to Favre on Tuesday and retirement talk never came up.

"I talked with Brett and haven't heard that," said Longwell. "He didn't tell me that. I don't know where the reports came from, but he certainly hasn't said that to me." Added Jason La Canfora of the NFL Network on Tuesday afternoon: "I still do not believe Brett Favre has thrown his last NFL pass."

I won't believe that til Favre is under 6 feet of dirt, and even then I would be on the lookout for a Zombie-Favre comeback.K so I've missed about four hours of coverage and am now thoroughly confused:

Childress said Favre did not tell him he was retiring

Vikings players said same

Favre has not announced his retirement

Is there actually anything to this story? If so, Joe Webb anyone?

I won't believe that til Favre is under 6 feet of dirt, and even then I would be on the lookout for a Zombie-Favre comeback.K so I've missed about four hours of coverage and am now thoroughly confused:

Apparently a reporter saw a text from Favre to a unnamed player that said "This is it". The second I read what the report was based on I tuned out.

Apparently a reporter saw a text from Favre to a unnamed player that said "This is it". The second I read what the report was based on I tuned out.
You have got to be kidding me. Wow, complete non-story. I hope Sears does a commercial about idiot me-first reporters falling all over themselves to jump a story.The missing texts:

UN Player: Hey man, camp is a lot of fun. When you coming in?

Favre: Dunno, not today, watching a movie about Michael Jackson..

UN Player: Which one?

Billy1x said:
This is all about

JAY GLAZER

:unsure: Guy is just terrible.
:lmao: Jay Glazer is usually spot on with his news scoops. Its the ESPN reporters i.e. Werder, Palantonio, Mort, Shefter, and Clayton that are constantly contradicting each other in hopes of being the first to break news.

Billy1x said:
This is all about

JAY GLAZER

:lmao: Guy is just terrible.
:confused: Jay Glazer is usually spot on with his news scoops. Its the ESPN reporters i.e. Werder, Palantonio, Mort, Shefter, and Clayton that are constantly contradicting each other in hopes of being the first to break news.
Pete Prisco's always looking for a chance to rip Favre: selfish

Billy1x said:
This is all about

JAY GLAZER

:lmao: Guy is just terrible.
:confused: Jay Glazer is usually spot on with his news scoops. Its the ESPN reporters i.e. Werder, Palantonio, Mort, Shefter, and Clayton that are constantly contradicting each other in hopes of being the first to break news.
Me thinks that you are looking at a bunch of rats and saying one is less rat like than the others. They're all garbage in terms of breaking these stories. They all jump the gun and all fail a lot... Please don't try to try to elevate Glazer over any of these guys. They're all rats...

Johnny, is Farve really to blame? We know this is how it's going to go down every year, we all do, media included yet they lap it up like tired old dogs. What's Farve really doing? Is he calling the media and saying he's going to retire, then call them back and say he's not over and over?With twitter, 4 espn's, nfl network, blog's and forums all over the place, we're maniacs for the latest second of any information, true or false. We're all to blame. Everyone needs to just sit back and wait instead of everyday asking themselves if Farve is going to retire. If the Vikings can do it, why can't everyone else.

Johnny, is Farve really to blame? We know this is how it's going to go down every year, we all do, media included yet they lap it up like tired old dogs. What's Farve really doing? Is he calling the media and saying he's going to retire, then call them back and say he's not over and over?With twitter, 4 espn's, nfl network, blog's and forums all over the place, we're maniacs for the latest second of any information, true or false. We're all to blame. Everyone needs to just sit back and wait instead of everyday asking themselves if Farve is going to retire. If the Vikings can do it, why can't everyone else.
Or just listen to me and realize that Favre will retire when he beleives his records are out of Manning's reach.

Billy1x said:
This is all about

JAY GLAZER

:rant: Guy is just terrible.
Pete Prisco's always looking for a chance to rip Favre: selfish
I love it how these guys have to vilify Favre. They won't dare rip on one of the their own saying, so and so tweeted when he should have twitted because he was trying to be first to scoop the story when he looked over a players shoulder and saw "This is it" on a text from BF. No the media is not to blame, it all BF's fault because he is a prima donna rumor creating news loving idiot. It gave every media outlet in the country a chance to dump there he's retiring stories and get them out since they had already written them and now can move on. I guess we don't wait for news conferences anymore, Twitter is gospel, just like the new "carted off the field" crap being spewed everyday about players now.

Report: Family source says Favre has made no decision

Posted by Mike Florio on August 3, 2010 4:45 PM ET

No development regarding the career of Brett Favre is official until the official Favre family scrivener, Al Jones of the Biloxi Sun-Herald, chimes in.

Jones reports, citing an unnamed family source, that no decision has been made by Favre regarding whether he'll retire for the third annual year.

"Brett has not made a commitment to play or a decision to return at this point," the source said.

So what in the hell is going on here?

Since Favre himself has remained silent, and since we believe the reports that he has advised team officials and teammates that he's retiring, this whole thing could be a power play aimed at getting more money for Favre or, more likely, getting the team off his ### about showing up for the third preseason game.

Indeed, we've got a feeling that the organization had been pressuring him to show up for the preseason home opener, and that Favre finally decided to make it known that he simply won't show up at all. By never acknowledging it himself, he'll never look like he was lying.

And so the end result will be more money for Favre and the ability to show up on the Friday before the first game, giving him six days to prepare to face the Saints on September 9.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...sion/?related=1

So these reports are really solely based on a text message that said "this is it" and nothing else? Couldn't that mean that this season, 2010, is his last season. Couldn't it mean that he thinks that "this" team is going to win the super bowl?

Media shouldn't be this bored with all the camps open right now.

This ain't over, yet...even when the season starts...it ain't over.

Vikes go 0-2 or 1-3, and Sydney/Harvin/ADP start texting Favre, "Can u still throw, old man?" and he'll get the bug again.

He'll be wearing purple laundry again this season. Not to worry Viking fans.

found some tidbits on Twitter and it gets all that more confusing.

KFANAM1130

Adrian petetson did not receive a "this is it" text from favre. He still hopes favre is handing him the ball in week one

JuddZulgad

Visanthe Shiancoe confirms that some players have learned from Favre he plans to retire. Shiancoe hasn't been told that yet by Favre

TomPelissero (ESPN 1500)

Shiancoe, Peterson both said their gut feeling still is Favre is the QB come Sept. 9.

Adam_Schefter

Visanthe Shiancoe: "What I'm hearing is it is true, he did decide to retire. Until I hear it from his mouth, I'm going to leave it at that."

chipscoggins

Adrian Peterson said he texted Favre today but wouldn't reveal specifics.

WCCORosen

Longwell told us after practice he spoke with Favre again and Brett said he didn't know where this was all coming from

Mooch says Brett thinks the ankle is not were it needs to be yet. If it does not improve he would likely retire but it takes longer do to age. Vikings want him to stay in Mississippi and keep rehabilitating it. No need to make any decisions at this time. He will play if his ankle responds and he feels like he can play at a high level - PERIOD

http://min.scout.com/2/988843.html

Source on Favre: Now it’s not over

A Vikings source said the team thought Brett Favre was retiring within the last 24 hours and now it’s back to being an unknown. One of Favre’s long-time friends confirmed that he’s still undecided.

A Vikings source confirmed that the team thought “it was over” – that Brett Favre was retiring within the last 24 hours. But now – now being late afternoon Tuesday, for the record – it’s still very much up in the air.

According to the source, the team doesn’t believe it is being held hostage for more money but that Favre is simply struggling with his decision.

Kicker Ryan Longwell talked with Favre at least twice on Tuesday, once in the morning before he knew of the reports circulating that Favre had informed some people within the team that he was retiring and then again after Longwell was informed of reports following the morning practice.

Longwell, who has had a long-standing friendly relationship with Favre since their days together with the Packers, said at about 5 p.m. Central that Favre has made no decision on his retirement but that he is genuinely struggling with it.

“I don’t even know what was reported. All I know is that Brett and I have been together for a decade now and I think probably four or five of those years, there’s been retirement talk four or five of those years,” Longwell said following the afternoon practice. “To say that we haven’t talked about retirement would be a lie, but I haven’t heard anything that he’s planning on retiring this year.”

Even after talking with Favre multiple times on Tuesday, Longwell said he still doesn’t have a feeling on Favre one way or another.

“Obviously he’s been hemming and hawing for the last couple of years, much like he has this offseason,” Longwell said. “Certainly there was no drop-dead decision or end date last night or the night before or anything like that, that he had told anybody. Whether he was leaning one way or not, I don’t know. Certainly it was news to us when we woke up this morning.”

Ok, not blaming this on Favre, but...couldn't he end the talk and speculation today with one text to Mort saying he still has not decided?

Users who are viewing this thread