What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBGs WILL take over Day 2 of the Draft (1 Viewer)

Is it too late to join the party?I can't make the Friday or Saturday gigs, but I may be able to swing the Sunday draft.
Read Bloom's recap from last year, but yes I believe you can just hop in on Sunday. It's very lightly attended - and the more FBGs the better on Sunday.We want to be there en masse and make everyone from the NFL-N, ESPN and the NFL itself wonder "who are these guys? What is Footballguys?"

I've already posted about 20 times in this thread, but just wanted to give the update that I will actually be there on Sunday now as well at least for an hour or two. :thumbup:

I'm meeting my buddy Friday night and we're heading into NYC to find something to do. We also plan on cruising past RCMH to make sure they're not actually letting people in line Friday night.

Do we have an FBG meetup place for Friday night or Saturday yet? Not being from NYC I'm not sure where the best place around there would be to meet up but I'm definitely up for it.

GroveDiesel said:
I've already posted about 20 times in this thread, but just wanted to give the update that I will actually be there on Sunday now as well at least for an hour or two. :shrug:I'm meeting my buddy Friday night and we're heading into NYC to find something to do. We also plan on cruising past RCMH to make sure they're not actually letting people in line Friday night. Do we have an FBG meetup place for Friday night or Saturday yet? Not being from NYC I'm not sure where the best place around there would be to meet up but I'm definitely up for it.
Im still waiting for word back on this draft party... my source on it hasn't gotten back to me yet. There's a starbucks nearby that Johnny is suggesting for Saturday morning - Friday night will probably be the line, I have a good feeling that they will give out the tickets Friday night again, don't ask me why.

FYI... nfldraftguys.com got some play on our local sports show today. Unfortunately it was in reference to the nerdy producer who never gets laid.

FYI... nfldraftguys.com got some play on our local sports show today. Unfortunately it was in reference to the nerdy producer who never gets laid.
he's married too?
Believe so and they live with his mom....had this mental image of Pasquino.
Eric Shelton has made you a very bitter man.....
Now there's a name I could have gone another 6 months without hearing...

Blood Farmer said:
We want to be there en masse and make everyone from the NFL-N, ESPN and the NFL itself wonder "who are these guys? What is Footballguys?"
AS IF, they didn't already know. We all know that Kiper and Schefter get their material from "The Audible".
:confused: At least NFLN knows who we are! Adam loves the show.ESPN = "meh" (except Stink!)Peter Gianesini (program director for ESPN radio) listens to the show.

Blood Farmer said:
We want to be there en masse and make everyone from the NFL-N, ESPN and the NFL itself wonder "who are these guys? What is Footballguys?"
AS IF, they didn't already know. We all know that Kiper and Schefter get their material from "The Audible".
:o At least NFLN knows who we are! Adam loves the show.ESPN = "meh" (except Stink!)Peter Gianesini (program director for ESPN radio) listens to the show.
The hope would be for "on air" recognition of the large contingent in attendance on Day 2..... by ESPN and/or NFL-N.Sure those "in the know" know FBG. I'd like the world to know that we're a force to be reckoned with - and we're getting bigger.

Hey, fellas...

Here's a framework of how the weekend looks to be setting up...

I'm arriving in NYC on Thursday, April 26, most likely in the early-to-mid afternoon. I'm thinking around 2-3PM, as I have business in the City to take care of prior to the festivities, which will tie me up Thursday afternoon/evening and Friday Morning...

Anyone wishing to contact me on Thursday / Friday can contact:

The Benjamin Hotel

125 E 50th St

212-715-2500

The Benjamin is located on 50th St between 3rd and Lexington.

Check-in time at the Hotel is 3PM, and I don't have a Rm # at this time. Call and ask to be connected my room, which will be under the name Johnny Mikuluk...they'll put you through to a voicemail, I'm sure, if I don't answer. Leave contact info, and I'll get back to any and all of you who make contact.

I'm going to be somewhat occupied until around 3-4 PM Friday, as of right now, but after that I'll be doing my damndest to 'rally the troops' and get everyone as much info as possible about what the plan is for waiting on line for tix. I potentially have an inside contact with the NFL, and whatever scoop I'm able to obtain will get relayed through the board, and via phone calls to all interested parties.

It's my understanding that Pasquino, Dodds, Bloom, and Faletti will all be arriving at some point Friday Afternoon.

Bloom and Faletti, to the best of my knowledge will have their Press Creds to use as Admission. David and I have tickets. This will be Pasquino's initial Draft, so he, like those of you who are planning on attending Saturday will need to get them. Now, I'm operating under the assumption that Bloom and Faletti will have things to do, in relation to their status as Press on Friday PM, and I'm thinking that it would make sense that they try and include Dodds in as much of that as possible. With that in mind, Pasquino and I will attempt to serve as hosts and ambassadors to all those wishing to wait on any line that develops Friday Afternoon/Evening outside of Radio City Music Hall (RCMH). Perhaps Dodds, Bloom and Faletti will be there as well, and I'd imagine they all will be for at least part of the evening, if not all of it...

This will be my 5th Draft, I think, and for the first time since Raptors and his Canadian Crew came down back in '03 (?), that the Draft has been held in the same place 2 years in a row, so we don't have much of a track record to go on in terms of how things will be handled by the NFL and the venue.

Last year, Bloom arrived in NYC late Friday afternoon. I was already on line at RCMH, when he arrived, and there was already a line, albeit a small one - probably between 50-100 folks in front of us. That wasn't a problem, in terms of the supply of tickets available...

...but obviously, the later you arrive, the greater the potential for there to be more folks in line behind us, and the more folks behind us in line, the greater the potential for restless natives in regards to folks cutting in line, etc...

Once again, the Benjamin is located on 50th St between 3rd and Lexington (Lex) - if you are facing The Benjamin on 50th, you are facing NORTH. Third Ave is to the East, and Lex is to the West.

RCMH is on 50th St between 5th Ave and Avenue of the Americas.

Once again, the NFL has indicated that tickets will be distributed through the 'Carriage Door Entrance', which is located on 50th St. If you are facing RCMH from 50th, Fifth Ave will be to the East, and Avenue of the Americas will be to the West.

Pasquino and I should be in that area, and on line, no later than 4PM on Friday, which should put us pretty close to where the front of the line is congregating. I'm a pretty big guy, and I'll be wearing a blue bandanna. If the weather is reasonable, I'll have on a grey polo with the FBG's logo. If it's cooler, I'll be wearing a dark blue fleece turtleneck pullover. We may have a sign - if we do, it will likely be in the form of a giant replica check that I received courtesy of winning PayDay Sports High Stakes FF Contest. We'll hold it up periodically, I'd imagine, so be on the lookout. Also, the way the line forms, if form holds true, we'll be lined up on 50th St sidewalk, and Pasq and I will attempt to be as close to the street, and away from the side of the building, as possible. They have ropes set up, but they are easy to both slide under or step over.

As with most other lines that form for these things, folks bring all sorts of acoutrements with them. Duffle bags certainly aren't a big deal, and based on past experience, plastic soda bottles filled with all kinds of liquids aren't either. I kept Bloom and myself nicely toasty while we waited for tickets to be distributed. It's probably a good idea to keep activities like this kept to a reasonaby subtle level, so plan accordingly. I'm sure there are plenty of stores within a one-block radius of RCMH that can provide supplies one's duffle bag, should one choose to go that route.

If form holds through, the Carriage Door Entrance will open around midnight. The line doesn't move at a reasonably moderate pace, but it will seem maddeningly slow. You won't actually go inside RCMH - they kind of meet you at the door and you get your ticket for Saturday along with a wristband for entry on Sat AM.

It'll be pretty late in the evening / early Saturday AM by the time we get tickets. It's up to you what you do after that, but it's going to be a long day with an early start on Saturday, so it's probably not a bad idea to get some rest, but to each his own. Personally, I'm not much for sleeping, so I'm game for anything. The bar at the Benjamin closes at midnight though, so going back to the hotel with us won't lead to much. I'll get with the Concierge though, to see if there's anything much going on after-hours in the general vicinity between The Benjamin and RCMH...

SATURDAY MORNING:

Surprise, surprise - of all things, there's a STARBUCKS (imagine that) right up the street from The Benjamin near the corner of 50th and Lexington...and in true Starbucks fashion, they open early...I'll be down there in the early AM, I'm thinking 7ish, getting properly juiced for the day...that would be a great place to congregate, and properly caffienated, we can work our way en masse up to RCMH from there to once again, wait on line for admission...

From the letter I received from the NFL with my ticket:

"...allow you to enter RCMH VIP Entrance located on 50th between 5th and 6th Ave. This entrance will be marked with specific NFL Guest signage. Local personnel wil be available outside the venue to assist with directions. This entrance to Radio City will open at 10:40 AM. As in years past, your ticket will be for a specific row, seat and section inside the Draft Room. We hope to have everyone in their reserve seat by 11:30 AM..."

I've never waited until Saturday AM to try to get a ticket for Day One and I don't advise it, but I can't tell you if they do or don't let folks in when folks start streaming out just to keep the place full.

Well, in the 4 previous Drafts I've attended, I don't recall having to adhere to a specific Section, Seat and Row, but I could be wrong.

In any case, the Draft is pretty packed with folks right from the start, but it thins out as the day goes on and selections are made, and it happens pretty quickly - it would appear that the majority of the Day One folks are there to see what their team does in the First Round, and then lose interest and take off.

Day One is a marathon. Those 3 Rounds last Damn Near Forever, and in truth, it's an ordeal to stay 'til the very end - but if we're there in force, I'm sure we can find a way(s) to stay amused...perhaps a mock FF Draft or seven...? You just KNOW someone is going to want to start an NFL Draft League. Bring your crib sheets, highlighters, can of mace, etc, etc...

As with most marathons, it's safe to say everyone is going to be pretty gassed when things wind down, but we should be out of there by around 8 PM, which leaves plenty of time to go out. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it, but The Benjamin bar might be amenable to a congregation. There are plenty of places to eat within walking distance...

...AND I HAVE SEVERAL NEW TOURIST ORIENTED MAPS that list all that sort of stuff, which I'll have with me. After a few bloody feuds, I'm sure we'll all come to some sort of consensus...

SUNDAY MORNING:

Once again, we'll congregate at Starbucks - early - I'm thinking 8-9 ish, and make a plan from there.

For those of you coming from South of RHMC, there is a Park located on 6th Ave between 40th and 42nd called, of all things BRYANT PARK. The blocks in NYC are long North to South, and short East to West, so it's about 6 'long blocks' to walk up to RCMH, but at least it's a straight shot...

Sunday is a long day as well, but the picks come faster, and it seems like there's more trade action that goes on...the highlight of Day 2 is that it's quite sparsley attended and good seats in proximity to the team tables, press row, and the dais's where the Luminaries/Analyists from ESPN and NFL Network do their stuff are within easy access. Between commercials, guys like Gil Brandt, John Clayton, Pat Kirwan and others roam around and are generally amiable. It's a much more lighthearted atmosphere, and Golic generally turns on his antics for most of the day.

It's a great day for hanging out and just enjoying the real start to the NFL Season.

Sunday PM? It's anyone's guess. A Chef I know has a high-end restaurant on W 69th St, and Bloom and I enjoyed quite the meal there afterwards. I'm sure anything is possible, though - we'll see how it plays out...

I'm SURE there will be plenty more details to follow, but I guess this isn't a bad way to get started...

So looking forward to this.

Printed up a bunch of NFL Draft 2007 stickers with the Black-Eyed Joe logo to pass out in line. I will have other stickers and temporary tatoos and will bring hats and shirts for people from the message board.

I arrive in Newark, NJ around noon. Not sure how long it will take for me to get to the Benjamin hotel (guessing a few hours) by train/subway.

Hey Johnny (and all the FBG headed for RCMH on Sunday),

My understanding is that the guys working the draft for NFL Network are going to interview some fans in attendance on Sunday - make sure one (or more) of you guys get interviewed with appropriate FBG logos and cheering so we can wave from our TVs at home.

Have a great time - we all wish we were there with you :bag:

I just moved to Manhattan, so I'm planning on attending the draft. See you guys there. I will be wearing a Barry Sanders jersey with a "Fire Millen" t-shirt underneath. The "Fire Millen" t-shirt will hopefully get some camera time later in the day.

Plans are by no means set in stone...

...any and all FBG's living in, or having familiarity with the Manhatten area, whether you are planning on attending or not are VERY HIGHLY encouraged to add suggestions/opinions to this thread, should the mood strike you...

Again, Sunday is the easy day, in terms of getting admission, so EVERYONE who has the day available to blow should show up and 'take a few whacks from the stick'...I'm pretty sure they allow people to enter late on Sunday as well, so you don't necessarily have to be there early, at least I don't think you do...

...because the 'carrot' - getting ticket sent to you in the mail the following year - is well worth it...

To the best of my knowledge, they hand out 'Day 2 Diehard' Forms upon entry on Day 2, but you they don't collect them until the latter part of the 2nd Round. Of course, it's not like they collect them individually, you pretty much just pass them down to the end of a row, so TECHNICALLY you won't have to stay 'til the end, if you get a willing FBG to turn yours in for you!

Compared to Day 1, Day 2 is pretty much like a tomb - I don't think there were more than 250 people max in the auditorium in the last 4 Day 2's I've attended. I think it has to do with folks from out of town having to check out of their hotels by noon the following day, and not wanting to pay for an extra night, or having to be back to work on Monday...

...but man, if you're in NYC for the Draft, you might as well have taken Monday off, no?

I'm starting to think, that given how empty it's going to be in there by the end of Day 1, and all of Day 2, we might as well have a Draft. An AUCTION DRAFT would be awesome - and I have all the tools to do it, including a kit from Draftkit.com that has a big board and player labels geared towards auction format...I'm starting to think we'd REALLY DRAW SOME ATTENTION TO OURSELVES WERE WE TO CONDUCT A "DRAFT AT THE DRAFT" AND THE MORE I THINK ABOUT IT, IT'S EMINENTLY DO-ABLE"!!!

Talk about getting attention from the Network Bigs who SO want in on that market!!!

YEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWW!!!

Bloom, Faletti, and Pasquino all have full media credentials. I am so ####### amped for this!

We'll be checking in with them on 950 the fan.

The Audible will have shows every night, and they will be doing a running commentary of the draft as it happens.

The Audible will have interviews with as many fans, personalities, and players as humanly possible.

Draftguys will be running a live blog with the boys comments on the draft LIVE as it happens.

Draftguys will also be video blogging before and after both the first and second day!

I can't wait!

David, you can get an NJ Transit train from Newark Airport right to New York Penn Station. (34th St and 7th Ave) You can take the E train (toward Queens) at 34th St and 8th Ave. There's a stop at 53rd and Lex.

Once you get your bags, I would think the whole journey would be less than 2 hours including all waiting for trains.

It looks bad for me to make it :cry: as I caught up with a friend of mine from high school and we made plans that day, but if that changes I'll try and crash the party Sunday :D

-QG

*MAJOR ALERT*

For anyone planning on getting in line tomorrow night to get tickets, right now there is over a 50% chance of thunderstorms in NYC for tomorrow night! So plan accordingly!!

Last edited by a moderator:
David, you can get an NJ Transit train from Newark Airport right to New York Penn Station. (34th St and 7th Ave) You can take the E train (toward Queens) at 34th St and 8th Ave. There's a stop at 53rd and Lex.Once you get your bags, I would think the whole journey would be less than 2 hours including all waiting for trains.It looks bad for me to make it :popcorn: as I caught up with a friend of mine from high school and we made plans that day, but if that changes I'll try and crash the party Sunday :lmao: -QG
If you don't mind switching trains, the PATH trains run every 10-15min from newark airport to NYC. You'll switch at Journal Square and go to the 33rd st. station which actually connects to Penn Station. It will save you a few bucks and a lot of time if the NJ transit trains aren't leaving for a while.

*MAJOR ALERT*

For anyone planning on getting in line tomorrow night to get tickets, right now there is over a 50% chance of thunderstorms in NYC for tomorrow night! So plan accordingly!!
Bring more liquor. Check.
Stupid question, but where do you take a leak w/o losing your spot in line?
NBC Studios are right across the street and there's some public bathrooms over there. The people in line are cool about letting you come and go. Its not a single file line, its as wide as the sidewalk.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm DVRing some of the NFLN shows on today and burning them to DVD. I'll have them along with a portable DVD player with me in line. :lmao: I'm willing to burn copies for anyone else that wants to bring a DVD player as well. I'm recording "Top 10 Draft Busts" "Top 10 Draft Steals" "NFL Network Draft Preview" and tonight's "Path to the Draft."

Just let me know by 4 or 5 pm EST today so that I have a chance to get them burned.

2 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)

2 Members: GroveDiesel, Black Box

:lmao: You know you want to. :yes:

Ramblin Wreck said:
BassNBrew said:
Sigmund Bloom said:
GroveDiesel said:
*MAJOR ALERT*

Bring more liquor. Check.
Stupid question, but where do you take a leak w/o losing your spot in line?
Buy Depends. Just take it off when you get inside.
This tip brought to you by former astronaut Lisa Nowak.

David, you can get an NJ Transit train from Newark Airport right to New York Penn Station. (34th St and 7th Ave) You can take the E train (toward Queens) at 34th St and 8th Ave. There's a stop at 53rd and Lex.

Once you get your bags, I would think the whole journey would be less than 2 hours including all waiting for trains.

It looks bad for me to make it :ph34r: as I caught up with a friend of mine from high school and we made plans that day, but if that changes I'll try and crash the party Sunday :wall:

-QG
If you don't mind switching trains, the PATH trains run every 10-15min from newark airport to NYC. You'll switch at Journal Square and go to the 33rd st. station which actually connects to Penn Station. It will save you a few bucks and a lot of time if the NJ transit trains aren't leaving for a while.
PATH trains do not go to Newark airport. Newark Penn Station is the last stop.PATH system MAP

-QG

3 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)3 Members: el centro, Cecil Lammey, David Dodds
I am humbled to share the screen with such honorable mentions!I sure wish I could attend. I had every intention of being in line - and my frienc backed out last week! Oh well - will be watching live at the closest Sports Bar... Enjoy! Anxious to hear the waiting-in-line stories, etc.

3 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)

3 Members: el centro, Cecil Lammey, David Dodds
I am humbled to share the screen with such honorable mentions!I sure wish I could attend. I had every intention of being in line - and my frienc backed out last week! Oh well - will be watching live at the closest Sports Bar... Enjoy! Anxious to hear the waiting-in-line stories, etc.
We've got some HUGE episodes of the Audible coming up! We will post them ASAP, as well as the video blogs and live blog as the draft is running!

Wish I could be there again guys. I live just a bit too far away and have too many personal commitments to attend each year. Johnny (nittanylion) is a great guy and he'll do his best to hook you up with whatever you want/need. The draft really is a marathon like he said, so be prepared for a couple of long days. To pass the time the first year we had a skins game going and it drew a fair bit of interest from the ESPN crew. If you're up for a bit of fun and have a few bucks to spare, it comes highly recommended. It makes the day go by a lot quicker.

If anyone ends up staying for the full draft and has an extra pass (or two) to spare for next year, look me up. I'll pay the going rate for them so I can actually enjoy my Friday night in NYC, rather than sitting outside the venue in the rain (I think it always rains).

Can I get a roll call of confirmed people for Sunday other than the FBG 5?
:potkettle: Unfortunately it will probably only be for the first 2 hours, but I'll definitely be there Day 2. T-minus 4 hours until I depart South Jersey to head to the hotel in Jersey City. ETA for NYC is 5pm or so. At this point I plan on calling nittany and getting in the loop for what the FBG plans are going to be for tonight and tomorrow morning. Looking forward to meeting my FBG iFriends for the first time! :topcat:

Here at The Benjamin, eagerly awaiting the arrival of Dodds, Pasquino, Bloom and Faletti...

Room 2005 for easy reference if you call in. I'll periodically check messages, and return calls from cell...

...and all the rest of you in line this afternoon/evening, tomorrow and Sunday!!!

Was raining hard earlier, but it's let up considerably...

...who cares about the weather? It's freaking Xmas in April!!!

Raptors & Co, appreciate the props - I've learned tons about NYC since our initial foray into the MSG Draft, and I think it would be great if we could get a reunion going at a Draft in the future. Tell the rest of the fellas I said hey...

...the 'skins game was a great idea, I had almost forgotten how much fun that was - if you get a chance could you outline exactly how we did it (rules/etc)? TIA...

:thumbup:

Have fun guys. I look forward to the updates and seeing/hearing you guys during the telecast.

Question for the guys with tickets for the "Die-hard" Day-2 people from `06: If you received a ticket, why do you need to stand in line? I thought the line was for those "hoping" to get in.

Users who are viewing this thread