What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Felix Jones "needs to touch the ball more" -Jerry Jones (1 Viewer)

Frenchy Fuqua

Footballguy
Expect To See More Of Felix Jones

Posted by rphillips at 10/5/2010 11:52 AM CDT on truebluefanclub.com

Wade Phillips cautioned reporters that Felix Jones' 22 carries -- a 7.3-average through the first three games -- will increase. His workload, like every skill player's, is contigent upon game circumstances. But the Cowboys want the ball in his hands.

Jerry Jones echoed that sentiment Tuesday on his weekly radio show (105.3 FM).

“Everyone is in unanimous agreement with the staff, scouts, everybody involved that Felix needs to touch the ball more," Jones said. "He’s just too much of a threat and that was our intention in preseason coming out, no matter whether he’s certainly getting a chance in the running game but the passing game as well.

"I really look for you to see a lot more of Felix Jones."

As I mentioned Monday, Jones averaged 6.7 carries in his first 10 games last year, but his average increased to 13.2 over his final six games, including playoffs.

A big factor is the Cowboys just haven't run it a lot in general compared to the rest of the league; their 23.0-carry average is tied with Washington for the seventh-fewest.

-Rob

@robphillips3 (Twitter)

Link

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet!-Tennessee coaching staff
:goodposting: Seems like Barber is more easily game planned for. Unless you're insinuating that he sucks in blitz pick up and they'll be teeing off on Romo all day.
I'm insinuating that announcing your game plan in a press conference makes the opposing coach's job easier. You'd never see the Pats or Colts do anything like this.

What I don't understand from the Cowboys perspective is why not just keep your mouth shut, and let him have more opportunities in the next game. Did they want to make sure the next opponent was aware of their plans?

What I don't understand from the Cowboys perspective is why not just keep your mouth shut, and let him have more opportunities in the next game. Did they want to make sure the next opponent was aware of their plans?
Jerry Jones doesn't care about that. He cares about everyone knowing that HE calls the shots, and if he wants something to happen, it is gonna happen.

It's all part of Jerry's cunning plan! He's been saying this for a year and it's never happened. So he says it again, the Titans lol and go on gameplanning for Barber and then BAM! Felix Time!

It's foolproof!

Barber's stock just went thru the roof.
Why?
Maybe since Felix probably winds up getting hurt with the extra touches.
Cuz his initial injuries were due to a heavy workload, and he totally crumbled under the extra workload in the playoffs....Oh wait, neither of those points are true, doh!Fact - Barber has had more injuries than Felix over the last two seasons.
Let's be fair here -- Barber has way more touches than Felix has had over the last two seasons. 2008-2009Barber - 530 touchesJones - 167 touchesSaying Barber has had more injuries than Felix is disingenuous -- he's been on the field way more than him.

Barber's stock just went thru the roof.
Why?
Maybe since Felix probably winds up getting hurt with the extra touches.
Cuz his initial injuries were due to a heavy workload, and he totally crumbled under the extra workload in the playoffs....Oh wait, neither of those points are true, doh!Fact - Barber has had more injuries than Felix over the last two seasons.
Jones has had problems staying healthy since college on a timeshare basis.But it's really counterproductive to have an argument with you over Jones. I think we all know where you stand.

Yeah, its been said before but Jerry IS the owner and the cowboys weren't 1-2 and the Super Bowl wasn't in Dallas before. Its well discussed that Jerry would sell his Grandma to get the cowboys in the SB this year. It may not be the right decision when all is said and done but you better believe it WILL happen if Herry wants it too...and he wants it to.

The only roof MBIII went through is the apartment under the third floor. He is playing his last year in Dallas. Its over.

Yes, Felix has been injured often and early but so were guys like Fred Taylor and, not that many people remember it or anything but Jimmy Smith, Aaron rodgers actually had small (but seemed to happen immediately twice).

Point being, that in itself does not mean a talented guy can't come back and play well for a long period of time.

It's all part of Jerry's cunning plan! He's been saying this for a year and it's never happened. So he says it again, the Titans lol and go on gameplanning for Barber and then BAM! Felix Time!It's foolproof!
Jerry Jones = Vizzini (the "inconceivable" guy from the movie The Princess Bride)Choose your poison: MB3 vs. Felix Jones, either way you'll probably guess wrong
VIZZINI But it's so simple. All I have to do is divine it from what I know of you. Are you the sort of man who would put the poison into his own goblet or his enemies? Now, a clever man would put the poison into his own goblet because he would know that only a great fool would reach for what he was given. I am not a great fool so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you ... But you must have known I was not a great fool; you would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me. THE MAN IN BLACK You've made your decision then? VIZZINI [Happily] Not remotely! Because Iocaine comes from Australia. As everyone knows, Australia is entirely peopled with criminals. And criminals are used to having people not trust them, as you are not trusted by me. So, I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. THE MAN IN BLACK Truly, you have a dizzying intellect. VIZZINI Wait 'til I get going!! ... Where was I? THE MAN IN BLACK Australia. VIZZINI Yes! Australia! And you must have suspected I would have known the powder's origin, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me. THE MAN IN BLACK You're just stalling now. VIZZINI You'd like to think that, wouldn't you! You've beaten my giant, which means you're exceptionally strong ... so you could have put the poison in your own goblet trusting on your strength to save you, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But, you've also bested my Spaniard, which means you must have studied ... and in studying you must have learned that man is mortal so you would have put the poison as far from yourself as possible, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me! THE MAN IN BLACK You're trying to trick me into giving away something. It won't work. VIZZINI It has worked! You've given everything away! I know where the poison is! THE MAN IN BLACK Then make your choice. VIZZINII will, and I choose ... [pointing behind THE MAN IN BLACK] What in the world can that be? THE MAN IN BLACK [Turning around while VIZZINI switches goblets.] What?! Where?! I don't see anything. VIZZINI Oh, well, I ... I could have sworn I saw something. No matter. Vizzini laughs.THE MAN IN BLACK What's so funny? VIZZINII ... I'll tell you in a minute. First, let's drink, me from my glass and you from yours. They both drink. THE MAN IN BLACK You guessed wrong. VIZZINI You only think I guessed wrong! That's what's so funny! I switched glasses when your back was turned! Ha ha! YOU FOOL! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders. The most famous is: Never get involved in a land war in Asia!, and only slightly less well known is this: Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line! VIZZINI continues to laugh hysterically. Suddenly, he stops and falls right over.

Jerry Jones doesn't care about that. He cares about everyone knowing that HE calls the shots, and if he wants something to happen, it is gonna happen.
That's what she said

It's all part of Jerry's cunning plan! He's been saying this for a year and it's never happened. So he says it again, the Titans lol and go on gameplanning for Barber and then BAM! Felix Time!It's foolproof!
Jerry Jones = Vizzini (the "inconceivable" guy from the movie The Princess Bride)*SNIP*
I'm not sure I understand the analogy other than a general insult to Jerruh (which, not to be confused, I have no problem with), but is there a part of the movie where Vezzini always goes down to his team's sideline at the end of the game?

Please do so ... then sell Tashard Choice for .10/1.00 to the packers :blackdot: ... and boom goes another <insert name> to the packers thread

That's what she said
I just want to thank you for that 'lol'

Jones has had problems staying healthy since college on a timeshare basis.
How many injuries has he had? Can you document them? He's had a broken ankle - not an "injury prone" type of injuryHe's had a pulled hamstring, and the trainer tore his toe up "rehabbing" - also not "injury prone" type of injuryHe's had a sprained PCL which he could have played through had the staff let himAre there more?We're not talking about a guy who gets dinged every game with minor things that slow him down, that's an injury prone guy. Jones carried the load in HS, and would have carried the load at Arkansas if they didn't already have the greatest RB in college on their roster.

This is so, so bad on so many levels, all covered above so I won't get into that.

Here's the problem:

The Cowboys don't know HOW to use Felix.

switz said:
zamboni said:
How many injuries has he had? Can you document them? He's had a broken ankle - not an "injury prone" type of injury

He's had a pulled hamstring, and the trainer tore his toe up "rehabbing" - also not "injury prone" type of injury

He's had a sprained PCL which he could have played through had the staff let him

Are there more?

We're not talking about a guy who gets dinged every game with minor things that slow him down, that's an injury prone guy. Jones carried the load in HS, and would have carried the load at Arkansas if they didn't already have the greatest RB in college on their roster.
You're right. Hillis was a beast.

As a Barber owner and from a fantasy perspective can any homers weigh in on this and if dropping Barber should be something we consider? I can't imagine the man would go on the air and say all this as a smoke screen or just because. Could they be gearing up to run with Felix as the man?

As a Barber owner and from a fantasy perspective can any homers weigh in on this and if dropping Barber should be something we consider? I can't imagine the man would go on the air and say all this as a smoke screen or just because. Could they be gearing up to run with Felix as the man?
It's just my opinion but i think this is Jones shot to carry the load. I say this puts Jones at 50% Barber at 35% Choice at 15%. just my opinion.

I think Barber and Jones are on "hold" status. You should see how they use them this weekend vs Tenn.

switz said:
zamboni said:
How many injuries has he had? Can you document them? He's had a broken ankle - not an "injury prone" type of injury

He's had a pulled hamstring, and the trainer tore his toe up "rehabbing" - also not "injury prone" type of injury

He's had a sprained PCL which he could have played through had the staff let him

Are there more?

We're not talking about a guy who gets dinged every game with minor things that slow him down, that's an injury prone guy. Jones carried the load in HS, and would have carried the load at Arkansas if they didn't already have the greatest RB in college on their roster.
You're right. Hillis was a beast.
:bye: :excited:

red said:
POTA said:
Jerry Jones = Vizzini (the "inconceivable" guy from the movie The Princess Bride)Choose your poison: MB3 vs. Felix Jones, either way you'll probably guess wrong
VIZZINI But it's so simple. All I have to do is divine it from what I know of you. Are you the sort of man who would put the poison into his own goblet or his enemies? Now, a clever man would put the poison into his own goblet because he would know that only a great fool would reach for what he was given. I am not a great fool so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you ... But you must have known I was not a great fool; you would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me. THE MAN IN BLACK You've made your decision then? VIZZINI [Happily] Not remotely! Because Iocaine comes from Australia. As everyone knows, Australia is entirely peopled with criminals. And criminals are used to having people not trust them, as you are not trusted by me. So, I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. THE MAN IN BLACK Truly, you have a dizzying intellect. VIZZINI Wait 'til I get going!! ... Where was I? THE MAN IN BLACK Australia. VIZZINI Yes! Australia! And you must have suspected I would have known the powder's origin, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me. THE MAN IN BLACK You're just stalling now. VIZZINI You'd like to think that, wouldn't you! You've beaten my giant, which means you're exceptionally strong ... so you could have put the poison in your own goblet trusting on your strength to save you, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But, you've also bested my Spaniard, which means you must have studied ... and in studying you must have learned that man is mortal so you would have put the poison as far from yourself as possible, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me! THE MAN IN BLACK You're trying to trick me into giving away something. It won't work. VIZZINI It has worked! You've given everything away! I know where the poison is! THE MAN IN BLACK Then make your choice. VIZZINII will, and I choose ... [pointing behind THE MAN IN BLACK] What in the world can that be? THE MAN IN BLACK [Turning around while VIZZINI switches goblets.] What?! Where?! I don't see anything. VIZZINI Oh, well, I ... I could have sworn I saw something. No matter. Vizzini laughs.THE MAN IN BLACK What's so funny? VIZZINII ... I'll tell you in a minute. First, let's drink, me from my glass and you from yours. They both drink. THE MAN IN BLACK You guessed wrong. VIZZINI You only think I guessed wrong! That's what's so funny! I switched glasses when your back was turned! Ha ha! YOU FOOL! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders. The most famous is: Never get involved in a land war in Asia!, and only slightly less well known is this: Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line! VIZZINI continues to laugh hysterically. Suddenly, he stops and falls right over.
Anyone ever stopped and wondered what it is that makes this film such a universal cultural reference point? Here we are in a football forum, yet I bet everyone on this thread has seen the movie and even remembered the scene.

Felix has been a less durable and less productive version of Jerious Norwood so far. That said, I'll probably take a flyer on him in leagues where I own Barber and he's available.

I think Barber and Jones are on "hold" status. You should see how they use them this weekend vs Tenn.
How has Barber looked this year? I have yet to watch a Dallas game and have only read bad things about him. Was he running with the starters in practice this past week or was it Jones? I'm not familiar with anything Dallas really.

No Looking Back

Eatman: Hard To Compare Felix With '08 RB Classmates

Nick Eatman

DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

Link

IRVING, Texas - OK, so let's get it out there. We've known it for a while, since sometime last season and it's even clearer now.

And since this is the perfect week to say it, let's just get it out of the way:

The Cowboys missed on Chris Johnson. Yeah, he was there, on the board, ready to be picked and they went with Felix Jones. Looking back now, which is very easy to do, let's just go ahead and say the Cowboys were wrong about Johnson.

Not saying they were wrong about Felix Jones, or any other player they evaluated, but clearly, if a 2,000-yard rusher is there for the taking, and you passed on him, then you were wrong about him.

That's fine because 21other teams were wrong about Johnson, including two teams that passed on him twice.

That's the way it goes, especially for relatively small-school guys like Johnson, who was an East Carolina standout who did his damage in Conference USA. Sure, he ran a blazing 4.2 at the Scouting Combine, and that actually helped him jump into the first round, where the Titans took him with the 24th pick, two spots behind Jones at 22, and one behind Pittsburgh's Rashard Mendenhall.

It's only natural to look back now and say, 'Wow, the Cowboys could've gotten Chris Johnson. How good would he be in this offense?'

It's fair to ask that. And the answer is probably something like "really good."

Let's face it, Johnson has been outstanding for the Titans, and probably better than they ever dreamed of as well. Every team loves speed, especially at the tailback position. But to think that he'd be rushing for 2,006 yards and 14 touchdowns in his second year - and that followed a 1,228-yard, nine TD rookie season - is something no one predicted.

Looking back two years ago, there were quite a few fans and media members suggesting the Cowboys selected the wrong guy when they went for Felix with the 22nd pick. But to my recollection, no one was saying the Cowboys should've grabbed Johnson. I'm sure there might have been a few people out there who liked him, but he wasn't on the radar like the other guys.

It was Mendenhall who many people thought the Cowboys should've taken. Mendenhall looked like an every-down back and the Cowboys were criticized for drafting a more complimentary player in Jones, who of course was picked to play alongside Marion Barber. That's exactly how the Cowboys have used him, although he hasn't returned as many kickoffs as the team thought he would, especially since he hasn't been the starter.

As it turned out, Mendenhall has been pretty good now with the Steelers, although it took him a while to become the main guy.

And that's really what the point to all of this is. If you're not the main guy, you won't be putting up numbers like the rest of the players in what has turned out to be quite a draft class of running backs.

I looked at all 27 running backs who were taken in the 2008 draft, and right now, eight of them are considered the starting back for their respective teams. Five more are complimentary runners who get a good amount of carries, but just aren't starting, and that's where Jones is.

And then about five other players are third tailbacks, including Tashard Choice, a fourth-round pick in that class.

Those starters even include a pair of seventh-round choices in Cleveland's Peyton Hillis and Seattle's Justin Forsett. Although the Seahawks did make a trade Tuesday to land Marhsawn Lynch, so clearly Forsett hasn't proven himself to be the answer.

But it's more interesting when you look at that first round. Here we are, four weeks into their third season in the NFL, and the perception of Jones among his draft class of tailbacks is much different than just a year ago.

At one point last season, it seemed like Jones might end up being the best of all of them, aside from maybe Johnson, who didn't take long to show off his skills. But in terms of players like Darren McFadden, Jonathan Stewart, Ray Rice, Tim Hightower and Matt Forte, none of those guys had proven to be a star at the start of the 2009 season.

Then Rice blew up for the Ravens, and Forte has been very solid with the Bears, even more so now under Mike Martz' system. Of course, McFadden, the highest-picked player in that group who went fourth overall, struggled his first two years to stay healthy but is finally coming into his own, ranking third in the NFL in rushing with 392 yards.

That would be a good 304 yards more than his college teammate. Oh, and I'm talking about Jones, not Hillis, the third Arkansas tailback who just happens to be starting in Cleveland and has 322 rushing yards.

But once again, it all comes down to opportunity.

We can sit here and criticize Jones for not being the player we thought he'd be at this point in his career. Or we can sit here and criticize the Cowboys for not using him like we thought he'd be used.

Either way, Jones really hasn't had the opportunity to be a superstar. Then again, was that ever the plan?

The Cowboys drafted Felix, knowing that not only was Barber their starting tailback, but they were about to shell out about $45 million to him later that summer. All along, the Cowboys wanted to use Jones as a role player next to Barber, someone to compliment his hard-nosed running style with a home-run hitter and occasional kickoff return threat.

Well, that's pretty much what has occurred. Only now, the combination of Jones' breakaway style, along with Barber's inconsistencies, have called into question just how much this team is using Jones.

For two years, it's been a debate. In fact, it can drive one to a headache.

Should it be Jones, then Barber? Or Barber and Jones? What about Choice? What about Jones, Choice, Barber?

Enough already. I wish the Cowboys would just figure it out.

From the sounds of things, the Cowboys are planning on giving Jones a little more touches this week. That's at least what team owner Jerry Jones said on his Tuesday morning radio show.

Then again, we've heard that before. Get Felix the ball! It's happened before, but somehow in the flow of the game, it might not work out that way.

Unless the Cowboys make him the starting tailback, just like we've seen from the other tailbacks in this draft class, then Felix will continue to be that player that shines bright at times, but always leaves you wanting a little more.

Maybe that "more" comes out this week. Or maybe, the Cowboys will see more than they want from Chris Johnson, leaving us all wondering what might have been.

By the way, how many owners have a radio show?

I recognize that Jerry wears another hat (the size of his head ego requires multiple hats after all), that being the GM, so how many GM's have a radio show?

Cerrato was pilloried in Washington for having his own show the last couple of years. Anyone else?

Are there more?

But regardless of the excuse for the injury.... he has had problems staying healthy. No one is denying his abilities on the field.... just the ability to stay healthy.

he was on the wire in a ppr redraft league i'm in, i couldn't resist.

i had high hopes for him last year only to see him go down when got his "chance"... here's to that not happening again this season!

Users who are viewing this thread