What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Felix Jones "needs to touch the ball more" -Jerry Jones (1 Viewer)

has anyone mentioned that Jones looks slow with this added weight - he's not this explosive player that you saw last year - now he looks ordinary . . .

has anyone mentioned that Jones looks slow with this added weight - he's not this explosive player that you saw last year - now he looks ordinary . . .
Some have mentioned it. But I don't see it, I don't think anyone would think he looked slower if they hadnt heard he'd gained weight. He certainly didn't look slow on the long catch and run that got called back for holding, nor on his 15 yard scamper the other week.

Barber's stock just went thru the roof.
Why?
Maybe since Felix probably winds up getting hurt with the extra touches.
Cuz his initial injuries were due to a heavy workload, and he totally crumbled under the extra workload in the playoffs....Oh wait, neither of those points are true, doh!Fact - Barber has had more injuries than Felix over the last two seasons.
True. Playing more football tends to lead to more injuries.

I needed MBIII to start in a flex position. I might have to do it anyway...but I sure dont like the news.

Some have mentioned it. But I don't see it, I don't think anyone would think he looked slower if they hadnt heard he'd gained weight. He certainly didn't look slow on the long catch and run that got called back for holding, nor on his 15 yard scamper the other week.
I think you are right on here.

Shocking.

"Felix Jones or Rashard Mendenhall....? Let's go with Felix!"- Jerry Jones
With all due respect, I believe Felix is a better RB. It sounds stupid, but they just need to give Felix the ball. He should be their feature back. It's that simple, IMO.Some of these teams (& Dallas is one of them) get these RBBC packages & stuff like that stuck so far up their butt they forget who their best players are. The Cowboys have the makings of a juggernaut on offense, but they'll continue to fall short of that as long as they stubbornly let Barber & Choice take touches away from Felix.

Sooner or later, Felix will be their feature back. It should've happened by now so there's no use making anymore guesses, LOL. It will happen, though.

Felix Jones has reportedly not been trusted with a bigger share of the load in the Cowboys' backfield to date because he has never been "the guy" going back to his college career.Despite a season-ending toe injury, a hamstring injury, and last year's PCL sprain, coach Wade Phillips insists injury concerns haven't played into the decision "a whole lot." Phillips also made it clear that Felix was drafted to replace Julius Jones in a "one-two punch" attack with Marion Barber. Signs point toward Jones' role increasing as soon as Sunday against the Titans, but he's never going to be a textbook feature back. Source: dallascowboys.com
While I dont think Felix should be getting 20 carries a game, this reasoning is just plain silly...

Who would you rather have between Jones and Torain going forward this year? Jones is still in a timeshars no matter how you slice it and Torain seems to be the feature back now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im calling it now, Felix has a better game than CJ in their head to head matchup today.
Setting the bar pretty high there aren't you? I cut Felix last night and I own MBIII for now, may cut him if Dallas doesn't get their act together.
You cut Felix????? :shrug:
Yep , dropped him for Fred Jackson. Im in a situation where neither Jackson or Felix would probably see my lineup this year. I grab the RB that has the best long term projections and right now that is Jackson.My other backs are Foster, SJax, McCoy, MBIII and now Fred Jackson. we start 2 RB's12 man league, guess it depends on your situation.

Im calling it now, Felix has a better game than CJ in their head to head matchup today.
Setting the bar pretty high there aren't you? I cut Felix last night and I own MBIII for now, may cut him if Dallas doesn't get their act together.
OK, Jones might not have a better game, but i think there is a better chance than most people think. Either way, i like both guys to have big games. Im not expecting Felix to get the touches CJ does, but 15 carries and a handful of receptions should be enough for him to have a big day. The Cowboys were playing good football at the end of last season when they were giving Jones 15+ touches. I know they dont want to burn him out, or to get injured, but what good is "conserving" your best RB if you dont make the playoffs?

Personally I still would have kept him and dropped Barber. Especially with the news Jones wants Jones to have more touches.

You cut Felix????? :rolleyes:
Yep , dropped him for Fred JacksonMy other backs are Foster, SJax, McCoy, MBIII and now Fred Jackson12 man league, guess it depends on your situation.
Yup. Roster limits and team needs are huge factors. I dropped Jones last week for Bess. I needed the immediate production and couldn't afford to keep watching Jones get 5-7 touches a game. Had the Cowboys made their announcement about giving him more touches before they went on their bye last week I would've dropped someone else instead. I tried to pick him back up this week but was outbid. So he probably will out produce CJ today. As far as your move, I like Jackson more than Jones. He doesn't have Felix's upside but he's a much stronger bet for 15-20 touches consistently for at least the next several weeks.

Personally I still would have kept him and dropped Barber. Especially with the news Jones wants Jones to have more touches.
He doesnt want to give Felix more touches than MBIII however. I still see Barber as the starter and the more steady of the two with Felix having more ceiling based on if he breaks one or not. I cant bank on that ceiling week to week so its a moot point until Felix gives me reason to want to go out and pick him up and drop Barber.

He doesnt want to give Felix more touches than MBIII however. I still see Barber as the starter and the more steady of the two with Felix having more ceiling based on if he breaks one or not. I cant bank on that ceiling week to week so its a mute point until Felix gives me reason to want to go out and pick him up and drop Barber.
OK to each his own but that's not how I'm seeing it at all. From the reports I read, the coaching staff believes Barber is slowing down the O, doesn't have any explosion, and therefore will get LESS touches than Felix moving forward. We shall see I guess.

He doesnt want to give Felix more touches than MBIII however. I still see Barber as the starter and the more steady of the two with Felix having more ceiling based on if he breaks one or not. I cant bank on that ceiling week to week so its a mute point until Felix gives me reason to want to go out and pick him up and drop Barber.
Barber might be a safer bet to get you 8 points, but Jones is far more likely to have a 20 point game....IMO.By the way, the term youre looking for is "moot", not "mute". Not trying to be a richard, just thougt you would like to know.

Barber might be a safer bet to get you 8 points, but Jones is far more likely to have a 20 point game....IMO.By the way, the term youre looking for is "moot", not "mute". Not trying to be a richard, just thougt you would like to know.
OK fixed thanks

Ill call it here:

Jones 17 car, 107 yards, 1 TD, 4 rec, 45 yards

Barber 12 car, 46 yards, 0 TD, 3 rec, 24 yards

Choice 2 car, 5 yards, no rec. or TD's

I picture "more" carries as 12 instead of the 6-7 he has been getting. But I think Felix can still hit for 60-75 yards on those carries, maybe break a long one.

The 15-18 range seems more like wishful thinking right now

I picture "more" carries as 12 instead of the 6-7 he has been getting. But I think Felix can still hit for 60-75 yards on those carries, maybe break a long one. The 15-18 range seems more like wishful thinking right now
I think it will depend on how the game goes. If the Cowboys have a big lead in the 2nd half, Jones is unlikely to get more than 15 carries. however, if the game is close, i bet he gets 15+.

This came up because Dallas is playing Tenn and Jerry Jones got repeated questions from the Dallas media on why they did not draft Chris Johnson. There was an article in the Dallas paper comparing Felix Jones's stats to every RB drafted in the same draft and it wasn't pretty for Felix. The more playing time, everybody is in agreement, ect is BS - just Jerry trying to spin the story. Dallas could of had Mendenhall or Johnson instead.

This came up because Dallas is playing Tenn and Jerry Jones got repeated questions from the Dallas media on why they did not draft Chris Johnson. There was an article in the Dallas paper comparing Felix Jones's stats to every RB drafted in the same draft and it wasn't pretty for Felix. The more playing time, everybody is in agreement, ect is BS - just Jerry trying to spin the story. Dallas could of had Mendenhall or Johnson instead.
Jones has a higher career YPC than both.

I hope you're not suggesting that just because he has a higher YPC than Johnson that he's a better RB than Johnson.

I hope you're not suggesting that just because he has a higher YPC than Johnson that he's a better RB than Johnson.
Of course not, although i do think he is better than Mendenhall. Point being though is when he has been given the opportunity he has produced. So its not his talent thats stopping him from putting up big numbers, it is his usage.

Football outsiders has Barber ranked as the #2 RB in terms of Sucess Rank. This is a stat that attempts to measure the ability of a running back to generate positive plays. This year, Jones hasn't gotten enough carries for them to generate that stat.

My outside impression is that Felix Jones is more explosive, and better able to generate a big play. He has 5 carries greater than 40 yards, and 8 carries longer than 20 yards. Barber is better able to generate consistent gains that keep the offense out of 2nd or 3rd and long. Barber hasn't had a carry longer than 40 yards in 3 years. Over that time, he only has 9 carries over 20 yards, in way more carries.

As for durability, over the last 2 years, Jones has played in 23 out of a possible 35 games. Barber has played in 33 out of 35 games.

So far Jones 4 carries, Barber 0. Looks like the Cowbiys might be serious about getting Jones the ball more.

He doesnt want to give Felix more touches than MBIII however. I still see Barber as the starter and the more steady of the two with Felix having more ceiling based on if he breaks one or not. I cant bank on that ceiling week to week so its a moot point until Felix gives me reason to want to go out and pick him up and drop Barber.
Does this game now give you a reason? :thumbup:

Even though they might the right decision to go with Jones, Dallas still needs to work on their play calling.

Frank Gore is the only RB i drafted in my league that hasn't turn to complete #### or gotten injured. Gore owners trade him now.

If Jones play doesnt win him the job with his play, then Barber almost getting Romo killed for the 3rd time just now ought to do it.

Jones getting all the goalline work as well.
they were at the 3 yard line...not the goalline.
In that case, no RB ever gets goal line carries :lmao:
:lmao: The goalline set never comes inside the 3 or hardly at all.It wasn't a goalline set when Felix was in. EDIT- I also own Felix and not Barber, but I would very surprised if Felix is the guy at the 1 yardline.

barber looks more explosive than felix. its a shame he went and got fat.
Are you on something????
i have felix on plenty of teams. dont have barber on any. i am very happy with the current development. but its pretty obv felix is not near as explosive as years past. its arguable who is more athletic between him and barber at this point. doesnt matter, bc hes got the workload and will be very fantasy relevant going forward. congrats that your boy will finally get his due. too bad that dulled his skillset to the level of guys like barber and addai.

Users who are viewing this thread