What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Football Manager (1 Viewer)

Haven't had much time for this lately, but I'm very close to getting Derby promoted. I think I'm third and only 2 points off of second with about a month to go. This will be the first time I've stuck with a lower team through promotion. :banned:
Just started a Nottingham Forest save. Man, it's so much harder with no transfer budget.

'SmoovySmoov said:
Haven't had much time for this lately, but I'm very close to getting Derby promoted. I think I'm third and only 2 points off of second with about a month to go. This will be the first time I've stuck with a lower team through promotion. :banned:
Just started a Nottingham Forest save. Man, it's so much harder with no transfer budget.
I forget what I started with for the Derby save, but I bought 1-2 guys; Robert Pires and some kid for a grand total of 1.5. pires might have been a free, can't recall. After promotion I had a 15M budget. Bought a Winger, CM and DC. Now have about 2M left. :fingerscrossed:Pretty much throttled QPR in my first friendly. I was up 3-0 when I brought on the subs in the 70th. Ended tied at 3. Won 4-1 against some other team the next week.

'SmoovySmoov said:
I forget what I started with for the Derby save, but I bought 1-2 guys; Robert Pires and some kid for a grand total of 1.5. pires might have been a free, can't recall. After promotion I had a 15M budget. Bought a Winger, CM and DC. Now have about 2M left. :fingerscrossed:Pretty much throttled QPR in my first friendly. I was up 3-0 when I brought on the subs in the 70th. Ended tied at 3. Won 4-1 against some other team the next week.
How's your keeper situation? On the advice of this thread, I spent 7M of my 13M budget on a 4.5 star keeper my first year up and he was huge. Of course loaning a GK from one of the big clubs is usually a good option too.

1-1 at the half of my first PL game at The Hawthorns. Playing narrow, counter and retaining possession. :popcorn:

Won it 2-1 :banned:

Last edited by a moderator:
MK Dons survived their first season in Premier league, barely. I had thought the team looked pretty good on paper. Maybe they would have performed better if it were the '10 Premier season. Some of these teams are just ridiculously good now. Finished:

14) 12-8-18 48-64 (-16)

Could have easily finished 17th or even relegated with two games to go. Luckily won last two and would have probably stayed up even had I lost them both. It's a good thing that a handful of other teams struggle mightily as well. I had never experienced a losing season ever, on any save. The highlight was the off-season though. Money rolled in every month, typically making a 2-5 million profit. That's with no continental games either. The board expanded the stadium on their own, going from 18k to 27k. Dons climbed to 74th on richest Euro teams and now have a bottom line of over 30 million. Sky-Bet odds for second season are 2000-1.

Not a good start. Seems unlucky as draws become losses or wins become draws. The team seems better than this on paper.

17) 4-3-10 26-32 (-6) :unsure:

Just fired FM12 up again... :bag:

Damn it, bye bye sleep.

Worth it to be up 5-1 on ManUre after 61mins in the first leg of the League Cup Semis

Just finished off the quadruple for Ipswich in 2017-18! :suds: :suds:

Not sure whether to keep the dynasty rolling or move on to a more challenging save. Or take a break just to see if I'm still physically capable of kicking the habit.

'Spartans Rule said:
Just finished off the quadruple for Ipswich in 2017-18! :suds: :suds:

Not sure whether to keep the dynasty rolling or move on to a more challenging save. Or take a break just to see if I'm still physically capable of kicking the habit.
:lmao: good luck, I've tried for over 10 years... :unsure: FM13 just around the corner! (I might buy FM Handheld too when the new version comes out :bag: )

Dons rebounded in the second half of Yr2 in the Premier:

9) 15-6-17 67-68 (-1)

Moved up to 65th for richest Euro clubs. Brought in a few new faces and currently in 8th about midway through the next season.

Decided to start an Arsenal save for something different. With no natural wingers on the team, I moved four AM's there rather than sell them and bring in new wingers. Three of the four are strong on both feet and all have "Cuts Inside" as a preferred move. I play them as Inside Forwards and they have been just killing it, especially Arshavin. Only five games into the season but undefeated and outscoring opponents 18-2. Last game was ECC against Real Madrid and won 4-0. Usually takes a team a while to gel and get my tactics fluid. First half of first season can be rough but not this time. :thumbup:

So when does 2013 come out? I'm gonna skip 2012 altogether. Might see if I can roll my 'fosters save over to FM2013. Haven't playing in ages, but I want to win the Prem dammit!

So when does 2013 come out? I'm gonna skip 2012 altogether. Might see if I can roll my 'fosters save over to FM2013. Haven't playing in ages, but I want to win the Prem dammit!
It's usually release in late October or early November. Latest has been November 14th, I believe.

:popcorn:

I'm getting impatient since I'm waiting for FM13 before starting my next save. Through 16 games in the 2019-20 EPL my Ipswich team is outscoring opponents 57-7, so I need a new challenge.

Can't watch the video. But the screenshots I saw make it look like they are including DLC now. Is that accurate?

Third season with Paris Saint-Germain:

Coupe de la Ligue - Runner-up

French Cup - Winner

Ligue 1 - Winner

ECC - Winner!

A near perfect season! :thumbup:

FM 2013 will be released November 2. :excited:

If you pre-order the game, you'll have access to an almost-finished beta version two weeks early.

More info here
:excited: The beta version is available!!!!! Has anyone downloaded yet? I will be placing my order tonight. :banned:
I have the beta. I haven't played it much yet... mostly just figuring out the interface changes and new features. It sounds like there's a lot of bugs so I'm going to hold off on really diving in until the full release.

I'm still okay with 12. Have taken Staines from the BSS to League 2. About halfway to that English Hero accomplishment.

There's a lot of promising stuff in 13. The interface looks great and though I'm having a little trouble navigating it, it was the same way with 12 and it grew on me. There's lots of small improvements and new features.

They overhauled the match engine though and people are complaining about it being way too easy to score on crosses, and defenders and keepers having really bad AI. I can't say for sure how true that is since I only played one friendly so far, but the ball was floating all over the place. Looked like they filled it with helium.

Another problem unique to me... I like to pick teams based on my ancestry and since I have a bunch of Polish relatives named Katowich, I was going to play as GKS Katowice in the second tier in Poland. Problem is they look completely screwed in FM13. Finances are terrible, the club is for sale, they're under global transfer ban for the first window, and 3 of their players are "unavailable for club soccer until 3.2.2014" with no explanation given. I'm tempted to just give them a try on 12 and switch to 13 later.

For the second year in a row, my plucky Staines team was knocked out in the semi-final round of the FA Cup 1 - 0. Last year, it was Liverpool (which if I was going to lose, I didn't mind losing to so much). This was a 0 - 0 game that went into extra time, and was getting ready to go to PKs. In the 119th minute, one of my 19 year old defenders fell asleep, and left Suraez alone in the box. So close.

This year, it was Fulham (who had knocked Liverpool out in the previous round). Another 0 - 0 draw at halftime. Right out of the gate in the 2nd half, they somehow got a defender who hadn't scored a goal all season to head one home. :rant:

Next year is our year.

Downloading through Steam now. Hope to fire up the beta with Atlético and then move to Cockfosters after I get the gist of the new features.

I gotta say, I´m not loving the interface so far. Also, dare I say it, there might be too many options and ways to do things. I had FM11 down to a science.

Seeing as how the office was closed yesterday, I broke down and downloaded via Steam.

First, I started a Newcastle run, where the board wanted me to play attractive soccer and to get younger. Which I've done. But I made some silly signings and didn't train my tactics enough in the summer, so I couldn't get them to play how I wanted. Got absolutely housed at Martimo in the Europa league play-in round.

I decided that I was out of practice so I started a new game with a team I hoped would give me any and all resources I wanted. PSG. The thing about PSG is that they're all attacking midfielders and central defenders. It's kind of weird. Veratti and Chantome will be great CMs in two or three years, but I have to win now. So I have this ridiculous logjam at ST and AM with Ibra, Lavezzi, Pastore, and Menez (and even Gamiero) and Nene transfer listed. And I have three **** or better CBs. But I don't have fullbacks (other than Van der Wiel) and I have virtually no top class garden variety MFs, either in the center or the flanks.

GK is also a bit thin, so I upgraded to Ter Stegen from Gladbach. Then I spent a ton of time trying to get flank players. Bale wouldn't even listen when I dangeled the cash. I negotiated a transfer for Leighton Baines, offered him a contract better than what he asked for and he still signed with Man City. I negotiated a transfer for Daniel Alaba (who is very good now and will be awesome in two years all along the left side). But he broke his foot and the board vetoed the transfer (even though only would have been out a month, grr). Which is how, with a $60 million transfer budget, the best LB I could get in time to integrate was Fabian Johnson (not too shabby in the game, BTW). Going to deal some depth and try to make a ridiculous offer for Marek Hamsik.

Ibra and Thiago Silva are complete a-holes. They either get disinterested or pissed at everything I say. Which is at least accurate. For Ibra, it doesn't stop him from scoring goals. I am enjoying playing a wacky asymmetric 4-2-3-1 as my default formation. My attempts to play 3 CBs and use WBs have been disastrous.

I take it you played the full version, not the "classic" version? I prefer the classic, but there are aspects I wish I could control (scouting and player training mostly). I do like the "Instant Result" button though.

'The Z Machine said:
I take it you played the full version, not the "classic" version? I prefer the classic, but there are aspects I wish I could control (scouting and player training mostly). I do like the "Instant Result" button though.
Yup. Full version. Last year I played the handheld version, which is proabably a lot like classic. When things went south, I felt powerless to fix them. It's a lot to digest. I'll probably "start" a bunch of games while I get the feel for things. There still seem to be bugs in the beta. In my Toon Army game, I fired my fitness coach in order to hire a better one. But the board seems to think I still have the old guy, so they keep vetoing my new hires. Meanwhile, players are tiring after a half and going down like dominoes. Frustrating. In the PSG game, I also took the USMNT job. But everytime I search for players (from the PSG screen) it only shows me players in the USMNT pool. And I don't think PSG really needs Eric Lichaj.I think this was in 2012, but I don't think "tone" in pep talks and conversations adds much. I think halftime teamtalks would work better if it were integrated with the touchline commands. I don't want to say "I want to see more from you." I want to be able to say, "for God's sake quit giving the damn ball away in your own half" or "Jesus, what the hell are you playing that high a line for?" (when I have a 3 man back line with the slider all the way to the left).I don't know how you guys have the patience to take low league teams up. I'm ADD and need instant gratification (although I do think the game purposely screws with you more the bigger your budget).

I am near my completion of my first year in FM12 with my more recently discovered favorite team to watch: Dortmund. I have bounced around with different teams for a while but always got bored or overwhelmed with what was needed so I never even completed a year two yet. I think I found my spot and will wait for FM14.

I finished 2nd behind BM and was in the closest thing to a death group since Man City is in the 3rd group ranked and Dortmund was in the 4th and joined Inter and Villarreal. Thankfully Villarreal sucked and got 0 points. I won the first 3 games including Man City at home and Inter on the road, clinched the qualifying by match day 4 and coasted to the knockout stage. And who do I find? FCB. Losing 2-0 at home I stormed back behind Perisic and Gotze for a 3-2 win. So I needed a tie at Camp Nou and fell behind 2-0 pretty quickly once again. Gotze led the comeback off the bench and a 2-2 tie eliminated the defending champs. And what was the reward? ManU. It was just a bit too much in the grueling schedule as I had 2 games every week for at least 4 straight and huge injury concerns. I fell 4-3 on aggregate.

There will be a ton of additions when the next transaction window opens. Rues will add to the attacking options and was already on the way along with a young attacking option Bittencourt who will probably be loaned out. I also added Davide Astora and Mathieu Peybernes for more DC depth. I also have a young LB Roussillon and younger ST Yesil on the way.

Not sure if I will have any extra money let to spend. Kagawa and Gotze already signed large contracts through 2017. I played a 4-2-3-1 with 2 DMF's. With Kehl aging and Leitner/Gundogan emerging I might played with 2 CM's pairing one of the young guys with Bender. Kehl would be the anchor of the bench to protect leads in a 4-5-1 (2 CM 2 W) since one of the attacking miss is always spent by the 70 minute mark anyway. Still trying to figure out an all out offensive formation for late game deficits. I have 15+ rated goal scorers and want to try and find a way to get all of them on the pitch when needed. I am thinking 2 ST and 4 AM but not sure what the back end will look like.

I have also had a ton of success with a 3-5-1 lineup with 3 DC, 2 WBA, CMD, APS, 2 IFA, TMS so if ever possible I would like to be able to use that. The big issue with Dortmund is the TMS so it will have to wait for a while. I took Wolves to Europa in year one with it but it is very difficult to find suitable players long term. There just aren't too many TMS hanging around especially with a smaller budget.

'The Z Machine said:
Yup. Full version. Last year I played the handheld version, which is proabably a lot like classic. When things went south, I felt powerless to fix them. It's a lot to digest. I'll probably "start" a bunch of games while I get the feel for things. There still seem to be bugs in the beta. In my Toon Army game, I fired my fitness coach in order to hire a better one. But the board seems to think I still have the old guy, so they keep vetoing my new hires. Meanwhile, players are tiring after a half and going down like dominoes. Frustrating. In the PSG game, I also took the USMNT job. But everytime I search for players (from the PSG screen) it only shows me players in the USMNT pool. And I don't think PSG really needs Eric Lichaj.

I think this was in 2012, but I don't think "tone" in pep talks and conversations adds much. I think halftime teamtalks would work better if it were integrated with the touchline commands. I don't want to say "I want to see more from you." I want to be able to say, "for God's sake quit giving the damn ball away in your own half" or "Jesus, what the hell are you playing that high a line for?" (when I have a 3 man back line with the slider all the way to the left).

I don't know how you guys have the patience to take low league teams up. I'm ADD and need instant gratification (although I do think the game purposely screws with you more the bigger your budget).
I figured out I just hate the necessary turnover to bring up a low team. I like the stability of a team where I can keep most of the players and just add pieces I need.

The worst thing about takign a low-level team up is that the processing slows the game down since it has to generate results for all the lower level leagues in addition to the top flight. I rather enjoy the turnover since buying, selling, and training are my favorite things about the game. I think I need "Football Director" not Manager...

The worst thing about takign a low-level team up is that the processing slows the game down since it has to generate results for all the lower level leagues in addition to the top flight.
You can now add or delete leagues in mid-game. They added that for FM12. Doesn't look like its an option in classic mode, though.

The worst thing about takign a low-level team up is that the processing slows the game down since it has to generate results for all the lower level leagues in addition to the top flight.
You can now add or delete leagues in mid-game. They added that for FM12. Doesn't look like its an option in classic mode, though.
I was planning on going with regular mode for my next Cockfosters run. Good to know I can modify leagues midstream. Can I get booted from the low-level local cup ties as well? I have having to bring my entire reserve team into the senior squad and then shunting them back down after each game.

I was planning on going with regular mode for my next Cockfosters run. Good to know I can modify leagues midstream. Can I get booted from the low-level local cup ties as well? I have having to bring my entire reserve team into the senior squad and then shunting them back down after each game.
That I don't know. Haven't started that far down the ladder yet.

I don't know how you guys have the patience to take low league teams up. I'm ADD and need instant gratification (although I do think the game purposely screws with you more the bigger your budget).
I have a tough time getting into big club saves. I find it hard to pay attention to all the details like staff hiring, training, tutoring and scouting when I know that it will only take 2-3 seasons to accomplish everything possible.If I start with a smaller club, I'm more focused knowing I'm in it for the long haul.That said, I've never played with a truly small club. Ipswich isn't PSG, but it ain't Cockfosters either. Finances were never a major issue and I only lost one player to a bigger club. It took me 7 years to win the Prem and the CL.I'm going for a bigger challenge on FM13 but haven't decided what yet.

'The Z Machine said:
Yup. Full version. Last year I played the handheld version, which is proabably a lot like classic. When things went south, I felt powerless to fix them. It's a lot to digest. I'll probably "start" a bunch of games while I get the feel for things. There still seem to be bugs in the beta. In my Toon Army game, I fired my fitness coach in order to hire a better one. But the board seems to think I still have the old guy, so they keep vetoing my new hires. Meanwhile, players are tiring after a half and going down like dominoes. Frustrating. In the PSG game, I also took the USMNT job. But everytime I search for players (from the PSG screen) it only shows me players in the USMNT pool. And I don't think PSG really needs Eric Lichaj.

I think this was in 2012, but I don't think "tone" in pep talks and conversations adds much. I think halftime teamtalks would work better if it were integrated with the touchline commands. I don't want to say "I want to see more from you." I want to be able to say, "for God's sake quit giving the damn ball away in your own half" or "Jesus, what the hell are you playing that high a line for?" (when I have a 3 man back line with the slider all the way to the left).

I figured out I just hate the necessary turnover to bring up a low team. I like the stability of a team where I can keep most of the players and just add pieces I need.
I forget if it was 10 or 11, but the most fun I ever had on the game was taking Southampton from League One to the Premier League. It's a blast watching your players grow up, so to speak.

I forget if it was 10 or 11, but the most fun I ever had on the game was taking Southampton from League One to the Premier League. It's a blast watching your players grow up, so to speak.
:goodposting: To me the most fun part of the game is discovering 16-year-old wonderkids and then developing them into superstars.

I'm just realizing that I used to play only about 25% of this game. No wonder I sucked. I'm shocked at how specifically you can get your team to play once you understand how to use all the roles and individual instructions and how to use the analysis tools. I think my team passing improved by 10 to 15% just by putting guys like Steven Taylor's creative freedom to 0.

Newcastle is lethal with their key players fit and healthy. Unfortunately, I'm going into Vienna with Ba out with a knock and Ben Arfa on suspension, so we'll see if my backup tactic (slow it down and hope Tiote can knock in a screamer or Cisse can get behind on the counter) will work. God help me if I lose Cabaye.

How is the Android hand held version? Passed on teh desktop one this year in favor of FIFA(get more game time with the kidos, but thinking about getting the one for Android. $10 seems like a steal if it's got enough depth.

:goodposting: To me the most fun part of the game is discovering 16-year-old wonderkids and then developing them into superstars.
:goodposting: Halfway there in my Staines save. Have taken them from the very bottom of semi-pro, to getting ready to start League Two. Been much more fun than playing with a big club.

How is the Android hand held version? Passed on teh desktop one this year in favor of FIFA(get more game time with the kidos, but thinking about getting the one for Android. $10 seems like a steal if it's got enough depth.
Bump Also, say that I went to move a guy to the reserves but forgot that I had the entire team highlighted. Now everyone in the first team is pissed at me. Will this pass? :unsure:

Just started years 14/15 in my recent Liverpool game. Trying different things; not buying players i've bought before, more scouting and concentrating on bringing youth through the club.

First thing I did was get a really good scout and put him on World scouting for players under 18. Man, some gems in there. Even if they're not great, I'm getting squad players now that are 3 stars and worth about 2-3M that I paid a few hundred thousand for. Sold a few at a profit, kept a few and got lucky on one that has 4 star potential now. :thumbup:

Tottenham have ended my last three unbeaten runs over the past four season. (20 games, 15, 41) <_<

#### White Hart Lane

:goodposting: Halfway there in my Staines save. Have taken them from the very bottom of semi-pro, to getting ready to start League Two. Been much more fun than playing with a big club.
I'm playing with Staines as well. In year 4 now, and playing in League 1, sitting in 2nd after 5 games. I played two seasons in League 2, finishing 6th the first year and losing in the playoffs and won the Ritter the second year.The club is only worth 1.6m GPB. If I had money I would invest because this team will be playing in the Prem within 5 years. I couldn't play with Cockfosters as they weren't in ether DB.Btw, I'm playing in Classic mode since I can get through the games faster that way. Wish I had more control over training and scoring but I don't miss all the extra stuff in the full mode.

Users who are viewing this thread