What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gay marriage (1 Viewer)

Are you for or against?

• For

Votes: 291 80.2%
  • Against

Votes: 72 19.8%

• Total voters
Let's spin it a different way then: should the government be required to recognize a contract in which God is a witness?
I've yet to see God's signature on a marriage certificate. I don't think there's a line on there for it either. Since you seem unfamiliar with the process it is usually the best man and maid of honor which act as witnesses.You don't legally have to have the "with God as my witness" part in the wedding ceremony. You could have the minister or justice of the peace say "with Smoo as my witness" and the marriage would be equally legally binding. The ceremony could consist of "I do. I do. I now pronounce you man and wife." and it would still be legal with the correct paperwork filed.
In a religous ceremony, God is a witness.I've been the groom in both types, so yes I do know.
I'm married, and there was no God as a witness included. My wife and I chose things to be that way. In fact, it wasn't a religious ceremony at all.This is what happens when the religious cooks in government tell everyone what they think is right and wrong. They really should just shut their mouths and butt out. The thought of anyone using religious beliefs as a reason to be against same-sex marriages sickens me, because (1) not everyone believes in God, and (2) not everyone is of the same religion.As long as it doesn't affect my life, I couldn't care less what anyone else does.
:thumbdown:
Sorry man, but I have my own religious beliefs and I'll be damed if some religious nut-job in government should tell me what is legally right and wrong based on their own beliefs.
Looks to me like you have nothing to worry about, unless you want to marry another man. :excited:
Yep, I'm straight and happily married, but that doesn't mean I should be close-minded enough to think I should tell anyone else who is legally right and wrong based on religion.It sucks even more that the biggest religious nut-job in government is our ####### president right now. The moron woke up from a 40 year long drunken stooper, found God, and now caters to the religious nut-jobs everywhere!
This statement has alot of Irony in it. You sound like a man who isnt very OPEN MINDED to religious beliefs.Ever think for a minute that you MAY be wrong, what then? :excited:
Actually, I'm about as open-minded as they come. I was raised Jewish and my wife is Christian, and out of respect to our families we didn't include religion at all in our ceremony. I don't think that lack of religion makes us any less married, do you? I don't see any religion at all as being "right" or "wrong," and I sure as heck would never want to mix politics and religion. I know what I believe, but I don't judge other people based on them.Not so sure what's ironic about that, really.

Let's spin it a different way then: should the government be required to recognize a contract in which God is a witness?
I've yet to see God's signature on a marriage certificate. I don't think there's a line on there for it either. Since you seem unfamiliar with the process it is usually the best man and maid of honor which act as witnesses.You don't legally have to have the "with God as my witness" part in the wedding ceremony. You could have the minister or justice of the peace say "with Smoo as my witness" and the marriage would be equally legally binding. The ceremony could consist of "I do. I do. I now pronounce you man and wife." and it would still be legal with the correct paperwork filed.
In a religous ceremony, God is a witness.I've been the groom in both types, so yes I do know.
So where did he stand during the ceremony? Did they have a line on the marriage certificate for his John Hancock? How did he voice his approval of the marriage or did they just go ahead with the ceremony prior to hearing back from him? You do realize that you don't have to mention God at all in the ceremony
It matters Not, he is STILL your God and he is there whether you invited him or not. :yes: "I See You"!! :excited:

I'm married, and there was no God as a witness included. My wife and I chose things to be that way. In fact, it wasn't a religious ceremony at all.This is what happens when the religious cooks in government tell everyone what they think is right and wrong. They really should just shut their mouths and butt out. The thought of anyone using religious beliefs as a reason to be against same-sex marriages sickens me, because (1) not everyone believes in God, and (2) not everyone is of the same religion.As long as it doesn't affect my life, I couldn't care less what anyone else does.
Sorry man, but I have my own religious beliefs and I'll be damed if some religious nut-job in government should tell me what is legally right and wrong based on their own beliefs.
Looks to me like you have nothing to worry about, unless you want to marry another man. :excited:
Yep, I'm straight and happily married, but that doesn't mean I should be close-minded enough to think I should tell anyone else who is legally right and wrong based on religion.It sucks even more that the biggest religious nut-job in government is our ####### president right now. The moron woke up from a 40 year long drunken stooper, found God, and now caters to the religious nut-jobs everywhere!
This statement has alot of Irony in it. You sound like a man who isnt very OPEN MINDED to religious beliefs.Ever think for a minute that you MAY be wrong, what then? :excited:
Actually, I'm about as open-minded as they come.
Sorry, I couldnt tell by your last post. :mellow: :excited:

Is he trying to deny people the right to believe in god because he doesn't? It could be that you are right and that there is a God (I don't believe this to be true but I can't prove otherwise and neither can you) but there is a main difference between what you are each doing. His beliefs only affect his own life while your beliefs are being used to treat other human beings unfairly. What ever happened to "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you?"

So where did he stand during the ceremony? Did they have a line on the marriage certificate for his John Hancock? How did he voice his approval of the marriage or did they just go ahead with the ceremony prior to hearing back from him? You do realize that you don't have to mention God at all in the ceremony
It matters Not, he is STILL your God and he is there whether you invited him or not. :yes: "I See You"!! :excited:
Really? I'd like to see you prove that. If he was there then the least he could have done was send a card or sign the guest book.

Is he trying to deny people the right to believe in god because he doesn't? It could be that you are right and that there is a God (I don't believe this to be true but I can't prove otherwise and neither can you) but there is a main difference between what you are each doing. His beliefs only affect his own life while your beliefs are being used to treat other human beings unfairly. What ever happened to "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you?"
I'm not denying anyone anything. The question is do you support Gay Marriage and I dont because of Religious beliefs. Society is not going to dictate to me what a sin is and what is Morally wrong. I'm sorry but it never will with me.

Actually, I DO believe in God. Always have, always will. I just don't believe in judging other people based on my beliefs.Too many people use religion as a crutch to justify what they believe in or things that have happened. To many people try and throw their religious beliefs in the face of other people who don't believe like them in an effort to "save" them. And that's what this whole issue of gay marriage comes down to. Religious nut-jobs butting into business that they don't belong in. Period.Then again... you're right Peens.... YOU WIN!!! I'm WRONG!! :excited:

Really? I'd like to see you prove that. If he was there then the least he could have done was send a card or sign the guest book.
Oh Im not worried MIC, you'll get your proof soon enough. You'll have it when "HE" decides. Trust me, you wont miss it either.

Marriage as a religous contract . . .
How about marriage as a non-religious contract?
By not calling it marriage, you are telling gays that they are 2nd class and different. I'm pretty sure they already know they are different from the majority. There is no need to reinforce it through laws. What if we didn't allow marriages based on skin color? Is that really any different?What if the definition said, "Marriage is defined as a union between a white man and a white woman."? Why can't we have this definition: "Marriage is the legal union of two people."?
Because the legal definition of marriage is between husband and wife and the legal definitions of husband and wife are sex-based.Listen, if you really want to see this, you have to be a realist as to how it is pushed through. I have offered a perfectly reasonable alternative that even has a nice first amendment quality to it. I don't see the problem with what I'm suggesting.
Was "Separate but equal" a realistic thing that should have satisfied black people? This is not different. The legal definition of marriage is archaic and I don't follow why you feel it is so important to maintain. The wording is purely semantics and there is absolutely no reason why they can't change it. You haven't come up with a reason why the law shouldn't be changed. You have basically proposed an unnecessary alternative "separate but equal" compromise into the mix. Why, other than "because the definition would need to be changed and they need to be realistic" shouldn't gays be allowed to marry?
:goodposting:

Oh Im not worried MIC, you'll get your proof soon enough. You'll have it when "HE" decides. Trust me, you wont miss it either.
I wish I could offer you the same sentiments, but when you become wormfood and start decomposing your brain will have been dead and you won't be conscious of a damn thing.

And that's what this whole issue of gay marriage comes down to. Religious nut-jobs butting into business that they don't belong in. Period.
Yeah, thats a pretty open minded statement there. :mellow: Im not Judging Gay people, just because I dont agree with that lifestyle that doesnt mean Im "judging" them. I just disagree with it and will let someone of higher authority judge. What I wont do, is turn the other cheek and pretend its not wrong, I wont do that either.

And that's what this whole issue of gay marriage comes down to. Religious nut-jobs butting into business that they don't belong in. Period.
Yeah, thats a pretty open minded statement there. :mellow: Im not Judging Gay people, just because I dont agree with that lifestyle that doesnt mean Im "judging" them. I just disagree with it and will let someone of higher authority judge. What I wont do, is turn the other cheek and pretend its not wrong, I wont do that either.
Actually, it is. I don't care if you're ultra religious or an atheist, because I don't judge you for that. The problem is that the ultra-religious types always seem to feel like it's their duty to preach to me why they're right. THAT'S annoying, and my feeling has nothing to do with their beliefs. Just don't come a force it down MY throat, that's all... no matter which side you're on. And as that relates to this thread, it's exactly what the issue comes down to.You don't have to be gay. You don't have to marry another guy. But you also don't need to use religion to judge them and say what they do is wrong. That's all... I'm outta here. I need beer.

What you have done is assume that your definition of what is wrong has to match that of everyone else. I happen to believe that it is wrong and should be severely punished when country musicians do remakes of classic rock songs but I'm not going to lobby for banning of country music. I personally think that discrimination is wrong and am going to lobby for those who push their beliefs on others to recognize that.

And that's what this whole issue of gay marriage comes down to.  Religious nut-jobs butting into business that they don't belong in.  Period.
What you have done is assume that your definition of what is wrong has to match that of everyone else.
That's where you're wrong, this isnt MY Definition. I didnt just dream this up. The question was asked what your thoughts on Gay Marriage were. I answered honestly, Im assuming thats what they wanted (honesty). As far as I'm aware I havent lobbied for anything. The military looks down on its members going to DC with Picket signs and such. :mellow: :excited:

I'm not denying anyone anything. The question is do you support Gay Marriage and I dont because of Religious beliefs. Society is not going to dictate to me what a sin is and what is Morally wrong. I'm sorry but it never will with me.
So let me get this straight...... you want to deny gay people from getting married, yet somehow because of your religious beliefs you aren't denying anyone anything? Please, enlighten me because to me it definitely seems like you wish to deny gays the right to marry one another.I wish there was a way to somehow show you this thread in 50 years or so. You will look just like the racists and bigots from society's past.

As Men In Cleats pointed out, what did happen to, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you?" It seems this has been convieniently ignored, which I find disgusting. If you take this as literal as you take the idea of marriage only being between a man and a woman, then the only conclusion left for me is that you are predjudiced and hateful towards gay people.

So let me get this straight...... you want to deny gay people from getting married, yet somehow because of your religious beliefs you aren't denying anyone anything? Please, enlighten me because to me it definitely seems like you wish to deny gays the right to marry one another.I wish there was a way to somehow show you this thread in 50 years or so. You will look just like the racists and bigots from society's past.
Im not extremely interested if I look pleasing to the eye of society. Thats very low on my priority list. Peer pressure doesnt affect me like others.

As Men In Cleats pointed out, what did happen to, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you?" It seems this has been convieniently ignored, which I find disgusting. If you take this as literal as you take the idea of marriage only being between a man and a woman, then the only conclusion left for me is that you are predjudiced and hateful towards gay people.
That would make you WRONG to assume that. But whatever floats your boat. I dont believe I've treated gay people any differently than anyone else. I'm pretty pleasant to all people I run into. And since you find it necessary to start quoting bible scripture at me by all means find out what it says about Homosexuals.tia

Im not Judging Gay people, just because I dont agree with that lifestyle that doesnt mean Im "judging" them. I just disagree with it and will let someone of higher authority judge. What I wont do, is turn the other cheek and pretend its not wrong, I wont do that either.
God is supposed to be the creator of all. This means he created homosexuals too. Do you think he hates these children of his? If so, then I don't want anything to do with that kind of God you worship, and that you use to defend your discriminatory position.

Im not Judging Gay people, just because I dont agree with that lifestyle that doesnt mean Im "judging" them. I just disagree with it and will let someone of higher authority judge. What I wont do, is turn the other cheek and pretend its not wrong, I wont do that either.
God is supposed to be the creator of all. This means he created homosexuals too. Do you think he hates these children of his? If so, then I don't want anything to do with that kind of God you worship, and that you use to defend your discriminatory position.
God created all of us, true, but he gave us free will. Those who choose to be gay ARE choosing a path that I disagree with and will not condone, just like stealing, cheating on your spouse or whatever.

People who choose to be gay are no different from people who choose to be left-handed. Just because people make those choices doesn't mean we should discriminate against them.

I dont believe God created Homosexuals. I think they choose to do this. Just like I dont think he created me or you to be an adulterer. That is something we CHOOSE to do. Finally I believe God loves Gay people no less than he loves the Pope. The "Sin" Is what God doesnt tolerate. God doesnt need me to defend him, his word stands up just fine on its own.

Im not Judging Gay people, just because I dont agree with that lifestyle that doesnt mean  Im "judging" them. I just disagree with it and will let someone of higher authority judge. What I wont do, is turn the other cheek and pretend its not wrong, I wont do that either.
I dont believe God created Homosexuals. I think they choose to do this. Just like I dont think he created me or you to be an adulterer. That is something we CHOOSE to do. Finally I believe God loves Gay people no less than he loves the Pope. The "Sin" Is what God doesnt tolerate. God doesnt need me to defend him, his word stands up just fine on its own.
:no: Debating this is futile.

Im not Judging Gay people, just because I dont agree with that lifestyle that doesnt mean  Im "judging" them. I just disagree with it and will let someone of higher authority judge. What I wont do, is turn the other cheek and pretend its not wrong, I wont do that either.
:no: Debating this is futile.
:goodposting:

I dont believe God created Homosexuals. I think they choose to do this. Just like I dont think he created me or you to be an adulterer. That is something we CHOOSE to do.
In a nutshell, this is probably one of the single most disturbing and ridiculous statements I've ever heard.Like it's been said, there's no point in debating it.

Proof that being against gay marriage is an extreme position, and being for it is not:- it has been shown that there are more republican FBGs than democrats- being for gay marriage always wins these polls
...or maybe there are just a lot of closeted folks that use a football website as a cover.

I dont believe God created Homosexuals. I think they choose to do this. Just like I dont think he created me or you to be an adulterer. That is something we CHOOSE to do.
In a nutshell, this is probably one of the single most disturbing and ridiculous statements I've ever heard.Like it's been said, there's no point in debating it.
Again, Your "Open Mindedness" is overwhelming. :rolleyes: I guess open minded people are that way if you agree with them. I'll try and remember that. :excited:

You've used this exact quote in about 5 or 6 threads since I've returned to the FFA after a year hiatus. You must be very sheltered if you constantly are amazed by things people opine in the FFA.

Again, Your "Open Mindedness" is overwhelming. :rolleyes: I guess open minded people are that way if you agree with them. I'll try and remember that. :excited:
It's not about being close-minded, man. If you believe that people who have known they were gay from the time they were 5 years old made a conscience choice to feel that way, all the more power to you. I consider that disturbing, but if your religious beliefs tell you to believe it, whatever! You don't choose things like that. If I could have chosen to be a left handed hitter growing up, I would have. I've known enough gay people in my life to know that it is most definitely not a choice, and it's not something that you can just train yourself not to feel.

You've used this exact quote in about 5 or 6 threads since I've returned to the FFA after a year hiatus. You must be very sheltered if you constantly are amazed by things people opine in the FFA.
Sorry man, but I rarely post in the free-for-all. You must be thinking of someone else.

It is debatable whether someone can be predisposed to homosexuality, I have read equally convincing opinions that it is not genetic but have read numerous studies that determine that it is.It is fair to say that a person can choose whether or not to act out on the physical manifestation of that predisposition, but the same can be said for heterosexuals in that matter.

It is debatable whether someone can be predisposed to homosexuality, I have read equally convincing opinions that it is not genetic but have read numerous studies that determine that it is.It is fair to say that a person can choose whether or not to act out on the physical manifestation of that predisposition, but the same can be said for heterosexuals in that matter.
I remember when one of my best friends sister told everyone she was gay, dated a chick for a couple years...the whole 9 yards.She is now happily married to a man.Go Figure. :rolleyes: :excited:

I remember when one of my best friends sister told everyone she was gay, dated a chick for a couple years...the whole 9 yards.She is now happily married to a man.Go Figure. :rolleyes: :excited:
And a woman my wife works with was married for 17 years. She and her husband had 2 kids. I have no pics, but she is a VERY, VERY HOT 38 year old.Her husband recently left her to be with a man, saying that he'd been hiding his feelings for all of his life. It works both ways.

This is such a ridiculous argument. Does that mean we shouldn't incarcerate rapists, because God made them too?And no, I'm not equating homosexuality with rape, just taking your argument to it's logical conclusion. That anything done by anyone created by God must be OK. It's ridiculous.

This is such a ridiculous argument. Does that mean we shouldn't incarcerate rapists, because God made them too?And no, I'm not equating homosexuality with rape, just taking your argument to it's logical conclusion. That anything done by anyone created by God must be OK. It's ridiculous.
Thank You for showing up. I hate when you guys leave me here alone to defend the fort. :lol: :excited:

Thank You for showing up. I hate when you guys leave me here alone to defend the fort. :lol: :excited:
You're doing a fine job.

No, it means I believe homosexuals are born gay. If God created all, why would he condemn one of his children because they are gay? I don't see homosexuality as being a bad thing. Also, you were taking my statement and spinning it to suit your own conclusion...which I think is a bunch of :bs:

No, it means I believe homosexuals are born gay. If God created all, why would he condemn one of his children because they are gay? I don't see homosexuality as being a bad thing. Also, you were taking my statement and spinning it to suit your own conclusion...which I think is a bunch of :bs:
I didn't spin anything, I simply applied your logic to another situation. Why can't anybody just use the excuse, "I was born that way" to justify whatever behavior they choose?

I didn't spin anything, I simply applied your logic to another situation. Why can't anybody just use the excuse, "I was born that way" to justify whatever behavior they choose?
If a person is predispositioned to homosexuality, his actions (1) aren't illegal, and (2) don't harm another person. It is no more a sin than heterosexual sex, whether you agree with the act or not.If a person is predispositioned to rape, his actions ARE illegal and DO harm another person. For these type of actions, you can seek help and will be legally punished for the act.So, if you think having gay sex should be illegal, then yes, the situations are very similar. There is a legal suppress to the act of rape. There's no such reason for homosexuality, but people try to use religion as their reason.You act like a homosexual saying "I was born that way" is trying to cover up a sin, and he's not. It's no different from you or I having sex with a girl because that's the way we were born.

Last edited by a moderator:
If a person is predispositioned to homosexuality, his actions (1) aren't illegal, and (2) don't harm another person. It is no more a sin than heterosexual sex, whether you agree with the act or not.If a person is predispositioned to rape, his actions ARE illegal and DO harm another person. For these type of actions, you can seek help and will be legally punished for the act.So, if you think having gay sex should be illegal, then yes, the situations are very similar. There is a legal reason to suppress to the act of rape. There's no such reason for homosexuality, but people try to use religion as their reason.You act like a homosexual saying "I was born that way" is trying to cover up a sin, and he's not. It's no different from you or I having sex with a girl because that's the we were born.
Of course your argument hinges on your definition of sin. In my Bible homosexuality clearly qualifies.

1. Prohibition of Homosexual Marriage is not a Civil Rights issue, and to say it is is a slap in the face to those that fought their way through Racism.2. The financial concerns (e.g., MacArtists example of a significant other not having rights of survivorship) are blatant exaggerations which are easily handled under current law.3. The slippery slope argument is true, but the slippery slope didn't begin with gay marriage - it began 30 years ago when the link between marriage, sex, and the family unit was irreversibly severed.More later on these 3 topics. I am tired now. I am reading a book on this topic because - a. one of my co-workers is gay and b. another friend of mine who is not gay is an active supporter of gay marriage and is always arguing with me about the issue.

1. Prohibition of Homosexual Marriage is not a Civil Rights issue, and to say it is is a slap in the face to those that fought their way through Racism.

2. The financial concerns (e.g., MacArtists example of a significant other not having rights of survivorship) are blatant exaggerations which are easily handled under current law.

3. The slippery slope argument is true, but the slippery slope didn't begin with gay marriage - it began 30 years ago when the link between marriage, sex, and the family unit was irreversibly severed.

More later on these 3 topics. I am tired now. I am reading a book on this topic because - a. one of my co-workers is gay and b. another friend of mine who is not gay is an active supporter of gay marriage and is always arguing with me about the issue.
Please explain....... I fail to see it.

Real lesbians generally aren't as much fun as the ones in the movies I rent. Just thought you might want to know that.

And to Crosseyed..... Your definition of what is or isnt a sin is irrellevant. I'm sure burning a Bible and saying God is nonsense are also sins, but it does not mean that I should not be allowed to do them, and it especially does not mean that the government should prevent me from doing these things. I think the discrimination and hatred towards homosexuals that you people possess is more of a sin than homosexuality.Oh and Peens, please stop using " :excited: " after you say these offensive, idiotic, close-minded, hateful things. It honestly pisses me off.

Last edited by a moderator:
And to Crosseyed..... Your definition of what is or isnt a sin is irrellevant. I'm sure burning a Bible and saying God is nonsense are also sins, but it does not mean that I should not be allowed to do them, and it especially does not mean that the government should prevent me from doing these things. I think the discrimination and hatred towards homosexuals that you people possess is more of a sin than homosexuality.
You're changing the argument to which I was responding.I don't expect that all of our laws should line up with biblical values and morals. I realize that we don't live in a theocracy.I was merely pointing out the flaws in the "God created them so it must be OK" argument.

These threads absolutely disgusts me. It sickens me and fills me with overwhelming rage that people who claim to be good people can so callously display such ignorant bigotry and prejudice. People who will happily subjugate and dehumanize other people simply because they disagree with their lifestyle. As Men-in-Cleats (who's almost making me wish I were gay so I could reward him properly for outstanding posting here) has repeatedly pointed out, all arguments against gay marriage are vacuous, hollow and completely farcical. It's a weak charade to parade your own fears and discriminations around in the guise of such tripe as "family values" and "tradition", all the while ignoring how completely inapplicable these arguments are. Hypocrites. HYPOCRITES. You want to keep trying to build your master race? Not on my watch.

Now that I think about it, I know for a fact that religious wedding services for gays would be offered as soon as they're legal.I am an ordained minister with the power to perform marriage ceremonies. (You can be, too. Click here.) And I'd be happy to do gay religious weddings for a few hundred bucks a pop.
Well then you could offer religious wedding services now. There wouldn't be any legal benefits for the couple, granted, but it would still be a religious service.

Users who are viewing this thread