What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Getcha passports ready - the middle-aged dummies are going to the British Isles! Top 31 song countdown. (2 Viewers)

My daughter updates her "Happy Mix" every once in a while, so we can reorder the playlist so her favorite songs are at the start of the mix in order of preference. Her current top 10:

SOS (ABBA)
Birdhouse in Your Soul
Sir Duke
Wellerman
Take Me Home, Country Roads
Don't You Want Me
You Can't Hurry Love
Here Comes the Sun
Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go
Don't Stop Believin'

Proud Papa moment was when I played The Supremes version of You Can't Hurry Love because the Phil Collins one was on there, and her reaction: "oh, that's a lot better!"

I love this playlist
I am listening to it now, actually. She has better taste than I do. :lol:

It's up to 61 songs and has everything from The Shins to Bowie to GNR to Queen to CHRVCHES to Earth Wind and Fire.

THANK YOU.

I loved that movie and don't care if eight million critics hate it with the intensity of eight million burning suns. It's a wonderfully done, sort-of escapist film for those of us not hardened to but still conscious of international poverty. The way it tells the backstory of him growing up and the grimness that it entails doesn't deserve anything but a happy ending when all other things are considered.

(But I also hold the opinion that there's no need to see senseless death and squalor and poverty in art simply to assuage a Western guilty conscience, so there's that, too.)
I am just not a fan of Boyle's flicks in general.

No Trainspotting? Loved that one. Also Sunshine. And 127 Hours.

OK, I guess I like him. But hoo-boy, did I hate that one.

Shallow Grave just went up on HBO Max. I don't recall it being available streaming for a long while
I instantly added it at the start of the month. I still need to watch this one.

I would like to apologize for my 30 and 31 picks. Saturday the boss demande 31 picks, not 25. I had a few leftovers,but not enough to make 31. I needed them immediately and these all had to be British. I didn't feel up to more reseach, so first i came up with undoubtedly nationally correct picks. Then i got tired so i sent those over and had a laydown. I didn't realize the actual harm i was doibg to all the playlists. I hope you'll like my 1-29 better.

I would like to apologize for my 30 and 31 picks. Saturday the boss demande 31 picks, not 25. I had a few leftovers,but not enough to make 31. I needed them immediately and these all had to be British. I didn't feel up to more reseach, so first i came up with undoubtedly nationally correct picks. Then i got tired so i sent those over and had a laydown. I didn't realize the actual harm i was doibg to all the playlists. I hope you'll like my 1-29 better.
Wait til Mrs. Brown gets ahold of this....

Where's our @simey ?
In my free time I have been making beaded necklaces. My eyes feel bugged, my back hurts, and my hand hurts from stringing these beads. I've had three come unstrung when almost completed, and that makes me unhappy. I'm almost done, and then they will be shipped out. They are bonus Christmas gifts to go along with some other things. If I send the Christmas box before Christmas, the kids don't get to open it until well after Christmas, because my friend holds the box hostage telling the kids they can't open it until they are good for x amount of days. One of them has a birthday today, and the box is still never opened by then. I'll send it this week, and maybe it will be opened by Valentines Day.

IF my memory is correct, @scorchy I believe you are directly responsible for my 13pt selection. Could be wrong though, but had a shadow of a memory of you taking it for some draft.

Also, I predict that I will go 4 for 4 out of the gate for you. 5 I am not as confident on.

Wait til Mrs. Brown gets ahold of this....
Boyles the one who scares me

Where's our @simey ?
In my free time I have been making beaded necklaces. My eyes feel bugged, my back hurts, and my hand hurts from stringing these beads. I've had three come unstrung when almost completed, and that makes me unhappy. I'm almost done, and then they will be shipped out. They are bonus Christmas gifts to go along with some other things. If I send the Christmas box before Christmas, the kids don't get to open it until well after Christmas, because my friend holds the box hostage telling the kids they can't open it until they are good for x amount of days. One of them has a birthday today, and the box is still never opened by then. I'll send it this week, and maybe it will be opened by Valentines Day.
Sounds like you need à hobby à drink

I liked today's pick!

I liked today's pick!
At least it clocked ln under 3 min

Looks like I missed the “Careless Whisper” discussion, but I did want to add something.

George Michael originally recorded the song with producer Jerry Wexler at the renowned Muscle Shoals Sound Studio in Alabama. A young Michael was initially in awe of Wexler and let the producer control completely the sound of the finished song.

Michael went along with Wexler’s guidance except for one thing he couldn’t get past — the sax part. Michael felt like it was just a bit off, a little choppy, not fluid enough.

At some point, Wexler flew in jazz great Tom Scott to try to nail down the saxophone part. I think (not positive) that Scott’s sax is on the final Wexler cut of “Careless Whisper”. While this version would years later be released, Michael was at the time still unsatisfied with it and decided to re-record the track from scratch in England.

The hit version on Make It Big is the one Michael produced himself with the aforementioned Steve Gregory on sax. Gregory was the ninth saxophonist to attempt the part during Michael’s production, and he did it with a broken instrument—the topmost key on the neck was non-functional.

Doug: Fool in the Rain – Led Zeppelin
T’weren’t me, but this is one of Zeppelin faves.

EDIT: I see the explanation—10-4

I was going to say since it’s the other Doug I don’t mind saying I’m not a fan of Fool in the Rain. We talked about it in the LZ thread but FitR doesn’t feel like a LZ song to me. The samba music just doesn’t fit with what I think of with Zep. It’s not a bad song but sticks out to me.

Looks like I missed the “Careless Whisper” discussion, but I did want to add something.

George Michael originally recorded the song with producer Jerry Wexler at the renowned Muscle Shoals Sound Studio in Alabama. A young Michael was initially in awe of Wexler and let the producer control completely the sound of the finished song.

Michael went along with Wexler’s guidance except for one thing he couldn’t get past — the sax part. Michael felt like it was just a bit off, a little choppy, not fluid enough.

At some point, Wexler flew in jazz great Tom Scott to try to nail down the saxophone part. I think (not positive) that Scott’s sax is on the final Wexler cut of “Careless Whisper”. While this version would years later be released, Michael was at the time still unsatisfied with it and decided to re-record the track from scratch in England.

The hit version on Make It Big is the one Michael produced himself with the aforementioned Steve Gregory on sax. Gregory was the ninth saxophonist to attempt the part during Michael’s production, and he did it with a broken instrument—the topmost key on the neck was non-functional.

Wexler is a legend but the released version is better. It's more dramatic when taken at a slower tempo. Michael kills the vocal on both versions.

It's nice that Andrew Ridgeley got a songwriting credit on the tune. It probably has paid for a few sports cars over the year.

Sounds like you need à hobby à drink
It's my first time making these, and it's been trial and error. It's time consuming, and some of the mishaps have led to a drink or two. I have to go to a boring seminar on Thursday, and I wish I could bring my bead stuff to it, and start stringing beads, but I don't think that would fly. It would make the time go by faster, though.

Yeah, the Wexler version has kind of thin instrumentation, at least until the end when the Hammond finally kicks in. The hit version has a bunch of tasty little flourishes all throughout, just filling it out and making it lush.

I looked back, and see you picked a Susan Boyle sung song. My Aunt Brenda listens to her. Tim probably does too.

Round #30

Already knew (but still love): Annie Lennox, M.I.A., Sweet, Franz Ferdinand, George Michael, The Pogues, Amy Winehouse, The Stone Roses

New Stuff: More Than This - Roxy Music

Perseverance - Terrorvision

Right To Be Wrong - Joss Stone

The Saints Are Coming - Skids

Still need to listen to the second half of the playlist, but I'm loving this so far. It's bringing back so many good memories!! :)

I looked back, and see you picked a Susan Boyle sung song. My Aunt Brenda listens to her. Tim probably does too.
She's definitely the correct nationality

Tim does not.

I will unashamedly admit to loving Les Miz and almost all songs arising from it. But I just don’t think Susan Boyle does a particularly good job on that song. Not at all. Hers is considered a good story, I guess? Something about homely people can’t be talented so it’s cool? Come to think of it, also just not a great story.

When I was looking for a link for that selection, I read more about her. It wasn’t terribly happy of an ending, as it turned out, and not surprisingly.

Uh, oh. :lmao: You are going to get the finger, Simey.

The Killing Of Georgie (Part 1 & 2) - Rod Stewart (simey) - OK, I didn't really "love" it, but the story hooked me and kept me tuned in till the end. Kind of like that Lifetime movie you get sucked into.
I got sucked into one of those Lifetime movies a couple months ago. It was about a woman who moves to a smallish town, and she is a fitness instructor, but she hustles as a prostitute on the side.

The Killing Of Georgie (Part 1 & 2) - Rod Stewart (simey) - OK, I didn't really "love" it, but the story hooked me and kept me tuned in till the end. Kind of like that Lifetime movie you get sucked into.
I got sucked into one of those Lifetime movies a couple months ago. It was about a woman who moves to a smallish town, and she is a fitness instructor, but she hustles as a prostitute on the side.
What was the name in case I... um, I mean my wife... wants to check it out?

ETA: Or I could just google it. Great description, simey.

Users who are viewing this thread