What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

GM's Thread About Everything/GM's Thread About Nothing (3 Viewers)

My boss came in to work sick all last week. He tested positive for strep last Friday. He worked from home Monday but then came in the rest of the week sounding like he had one foot in the grave.

3 other people in our 5 person group have since missed at least 1 day of work this week being out sick.

His comment? “I wonder who came in and got us all sick?” :wall:

I’m totally unrelated news, waiting for my Covid/flu/strep results while sitting at urgent care right now…

My client just tested positive for Covid, but she’s sick half the time anyway so it doesn’t impact any coworkers or me since I wfh.

TLDR: special needs daughter tried out for basketball and I’m an idiot

In more awesome news, I’ve shared some stuff from time to time about my daughter who is on the spectrum and has a number of other learning disabilities as well. She is a freshman in high school this year and moved from our local district to the regional high school.

Last winter she played basketball in a program that is designed for individuals with special needs. She had a great time and by the end of the season was confident enough to be in mixing it up a bit more. She’s always liked watching sports and this kind of gave her the impetus to keep practicing and trying to improve her game, going to the local courts a ton and practicing shooting and dribbling. She was even trying to eat healthier and started lifting weights.

But it still caught me off guard when she announced in August that she wanted to try out for the high school team. Mind you she has never played organized basketball at all. Never even really played true 5-on-5. I suddenly felt really stuck. I didn’t want to discourage her and make her feel bad, but there was also just reality. We tried talking with her and explaining that other girls have likely been playing for several years and she may want to think about continuing to practice for another year and maybe joining a rec league before trying out. But she insisted on trying out.

I was mostly afraid that she would get embarrassed and that other kids may even make fun of her. But we decided to support her and let her try out and plan on helping manage her disappointment since managing disappointment may be a tough reality for her future anyway.

At the first open gym (no paid coaches), my wife talked with a volunteer coach to just kind of give him the heads up and help make the situation easier. To our surprise, it turns out that the interest in the girls’s basketball teams isn’t all that huge and that they not only don’t cut anyone from the freshman team, they likely wouldn’t cut anyone period. He also let us know that the girls are a great group of girls that really support each other and he didn’t foresee any situations where she would be made to feel bad.

So suddenly my daughter was going to be on the high school freshman basketball team. So then my mind just figured that the tough part would be that she would be part of the team (which would be great for her to feel a part of something) and she would get to practice with everyone, but would grow discouraged in not playing.

Turns out I was once again being a moron as the coaching staff made it clear that the freshman and JV teams are all about development and everyone plays.

Also, turns out that my daughter can hold her own decently. The speed of the game is a touch difficult since her processing is a bit on the slow side, but her basic skills aren’t too bad. If she can learn what she needs to do without the ball on offense, improve her dribbling a bit, and just be a bit less anxious and get in to fight for rebounds, she may actually be half decent.

She had her first official high school game last night. Played about 1/3 of the game. Scored 1 point, had a block, and gave up zero points on defense. She also missed a 3 pointer by just a hair, but it was a great shot with nice touch that just fell off the rim the wrong way. Her team had a nice win. Was super proud of her and had to fight back tears the entire way driving back to meet the bus at the school. So glad she was so determined and that we relented and supported her.

One of the moms of one of her teammates even reached out to my wife last night and said my daughter did great and she was shocked at how well she played without playing organized basketball before.

Proud dad today.

TLDR: special needs daughter tried out for basketball and I’m an idiot

In more awesome news, I’ve shared some stuff from time to time about my daughter who is on the spectrum and has a number of other learning disabilities as well. She is a freshman in high school this year and moved from our local district to the regional high school.

Last winter she played basketball in a program that is designed for individuals with special needs. She had a great time and by the end of the season was confident enough to be in mixing it up a bit more. She’s always liked watching sports and this kind of gave her the impetus to keep practicing and trying to improve her game, going to the local courts a ton and practicing shooting and dribbling. She was even trying to eat healthier and started lifting weights.

But it still caught me off guard when she announced in August that she wanted to try out for the high school team. Mind you she has never played organized basketball at all. Never even really played true 5-on-5. I suddenly felt really stuck. I didn’t want to discourage her and make her feel bad, but there was also just reality. We tried talking with her and explaining that other girls have likely been playing for several years and she may want to think about continuing to practice for another year and maybe joining a rec league before trying out. But she insisted on trying out.

I was mostly afraid that she would get embarrassed and that other kids may even make fun of her. But we decided to support her and let her try out and plan on helping manage her disappointment since managing disappointment may be a tough reality for her future anyway.

At the first open gym (no paid coaches), my wife talked with a volunteer coach to just kind of give him the heads up and help make the situation easier. To our surprise, it turns out that the interest in the girls’s basketball teams isn’t all that huge and that they not only don’t cut anyone from the freshman team, they likely wouldn’t cut anyone period. He also let us know that the girls are a great group of girls that really support each other and he didn’t foresee any situations where she would be made to feel bad.

So suddenly my daughter was going to be on the high school freshman basketball team. So then my mind just figured that the tough part would be that she would be part of the team (which would be great for her to feel a part of something) and she would get to practice with everyone, but would grow discouraged in not playing.

Turns out I was once again being a moron as the coaching staff made it clear that the freshman and JV teams are all about development and everyone plays.

Also, turns out that my daughter can hold her own decently. The speed of the game is a touch difficult since her processing is a bit on the slow side, but her basic skills aren’t too bad. If she can learn what she needs to do without the ball on offense, improve her dribbling a bit, and just be a bit less anxious and get in to fight for rebounds, she may actually be half decent.

She had her first official high school game last night. Played about 1/3 of the game. Scored 1 point, had a block, and gave up zero points on defense. She also missed a 3 pointer by just a hair, but it was a great shot with nice touch that just fell off the rim the wrong way. Her team had a nice win. Was super proud of her and had to fight back tears the entire way driving back to meet the bus at the school. So glad she was so determined and that we relented and supported her.

One of the moms of one of her teammates even reached out to my wife last night and said my daughter did great and she was shocked at how well she played without playing organized basketball before.

Proud dad today.

That's awesome. Rock on little @GroveDiesel . :hifive:

My son finally got COVID. He went on a camping trip with his Boy Scout troop the first weekend in December and started coughing and feeling conjected the Tuesday afterward. It got worse on Wednesday and Thursday. He went to the pediatrician where they tested him for strep and the flu, for which he was negative. They never said anything about COVID or thought to test for it. We were supposed to travel to see my mom last Saturday, so we tested him for COVID the day before because my mom is 79 and super-cautious about exposure (and lives in a retirement community with a ton of other old people around). To our surprise, he was positive. Yesterday he tested negative and my wife and I never tested positive (or had any symptoms). We postponed our trip to the week after Christmas; luckily my work allowed me to shift my time off.

He was away at a weeklong camping trip with the Scouts when my wife and I got COVID in summer 2022, so he had avoided it until now.

@GroveDiesel - man, I love that story. And that's what high school sports should be about. Sounds like she found a great place to hang. Hearing about coaches like that seriously gives me hope.

Thanks for posting that. :thumbup:
His communication of details to parents leaves a little to be desired, but anytime a high school coach begins his introduction to parents by explaining that his motivation, his why, behind what he does is to serve others and help them become the best that they can be on and off the court, I’m in.

My son finally got COVID. He went on a camping trip with his Boy Scout troop the first weekend in December and started coughing and feeling conjected the Tuesday afterward. It got worse on Wednesday and Thursday. He went to the pediatrician where they tested him for strep and the flu, for which he was negative. They never said anything about COVID or thought to test for it. We were supposed to travel to see my mom last Saturday, so we tested him for COVID the day before because my mom is 79 and super-cautious about exposure (and lives in a retirement community with a ton of other old people around). To our surprise, he was positive. Yesterday he tested negative and my wife and I never tested positive (or had any symptoms). We postponed our trip to the week after Christmas; luckily my work allowed me to shift my time off.

He was away at a weeklong camping trip with the Scouts when my wife and I got COVID in summer 2022, so he had avoided it until now.
Feels like it’s coming for everyone eventually. My wife and I have both never tested positive, but feels like it’s really just a matter of time. Hopefully your son will bounce back quickly. Avoiding long Covid seems like the most important piece.

I just realized that I am moping big time this year because of Christmas.

My then 12 year old daughter last year was my last hold-out of kids who still believed in Santa Claus. So for me, that whole build-up to Christmas morning was a big part of my life for the 17 years between her and the boys. And I LOVED that morning.

We had a procedure:

1. We would put out the milk and cookies and carrots for the reindeer

2. We would pull up the NORAD Santa tracker on the computer and check it from time to time

3. We would send the kids to bed and say "Ok, if the Christmas tree lights were on when you wake up that means Santa showed up."

4. We would tell them to come into our room first so we could all look down the hall together and see if the lights were on. My wife and I would then grab a drink and just sit there for an hour, her and I, just look around and soak all of it in, nice and quiet reflecting on things before playing Santa Claus.

5. And in the morning, we would all then go down, the kids tearing down the stairs just going bananas with these looks on their faces .

That same wondermont on their faces as I imagine my face looked when my wife walked down that aisle and when they were each born.

And now that part is over. I've been moping all season already and haven't been able to shake it until I just realized why just now. :cry: :lol:

Now it's just the next step of the journey. I can't wait to see what's next!

My then 12 year old daughter last year was my last hold-out of kids who still believed in Santa Claus. So for me, that whole build-up to Christmas morning was a big part of my life for the 17 years between her and the boys. And I LOVED that morning.

We had a procedure:

2. We would pull up the NORAD Santa tracker on the computer and check it from time to time

3. We would send the kids to bed and say "Ok, if the Christmas tree lights were on when you wake up that means Santa showed up."

4. We would tell them to come into our room first so we could all look down the hall together and see if the lights were on. My wife and I would then grab a drink and just sit there for an hour, her and I, just look around and soak all of it in, nice and quiet reflecting on things before playing Santa Claus.

5. And in the morning, we would all then go down, the kids tearing down the stairs just going bananas with these looks on their faces .

That same wondermont on their faces as I imagine my face looked when my wife walked down that aisle and when they were each born.

And now that part is over. I've been moping all season already and haven't been able to shake it until I just realized why just now. :cry: :lol:

Not all is lost. My kids are 14 and 19. We still hide the presents until Christmas eve, and they're still not allowed down in the family room without us.

Yeah I’m pretty sure none of mine believe anymore. Possible the 10 year old but I doubt it. 15 year old told us he knew since like 5th grade but kept going along with it because he knew “Santa” would bring him what he asked for

Even when they were little it always seemed a bit underwhelming, aside from one year they were super excited

We had a procedure:

Our traditions have changed as our kids got older and stopped believing. Now we do Christmas Eve where we make pizzas, watch Christmas movies and all wear comfy PJ/Onsies/Ugly Christmas sweaters. A few years ago we started inviting more of the family over and it's a great time, everyone loves it!

Now Christmas day is really chill, I'll make breakfast and then we have everyone over in the afternoon for dinner. It's still a lot of fun, just a different kind of fun.

We had a procedure:

Not all is lost. My kids are 14 and 19. We still hide the presents until Christmas eve, and they're still not allowed down in the family room without us.
not sure why but every time i see you say the ages of your kids i'm shocked

superbaby(tm) has come a long way, gb

We had a procedure:

In our house Santa always brought the BEST present, so even though the boys are 20 and 27 (with a 9 month old), we've always continued to have Santa arrive, because he brings the best presents. I told them if they believe there is no need for him to stop, and I'll be pissed not to be able to buy my self a gift.

Last edited:
Growing up, Santa gifts were not wrapped, gifts from parents were. Course we also got a ton of clothes for the rest of the school year too. Not just toys.

For the ex, everything was wrapped.

It caused some minor disagreement and tragic amounts of wasted wrapping paper, until one year the “big” gifts were un-possible to wrap. Think fully assembled doll house, etc. She was upset, but finally just let me cover the big items with a Christmas fleece blanket. It was a massive success and got me to bed an average of 2 hours earlier every Christmas Eve from there out.

The kids (22 and 18) still ask me if there will be any “blanket” presents each year.

Growing up, Santa gifts were not wrapped, gifts from parents were. Course we also got a ton of clothes for the rest of the school year too. Not just toys.

For the ex, everything was wrapped.

It caused some minor disagreement and tragic amounts of wasted wrapping paper, until one year the “big” gifts were un-possible to wrap. Think fully assembled doll house, etc. She was upset, but finally just let me cover the big items with a Christmas fleece blanket. It was a massive success and got me to bed an average of 2 hours earlier every Christmas Eve from there out.

The kids (22 and 18) still ask me if there will be any “blanket” presents each year.

I grew up where everything was from Santa. Never got anything from parents and honestly never even thought about it. My wife grew up getting presents from parents and Santa, and I used to hate the process of trying to strategize what was going to be from who.

We are looking to not do stockings this year. Our daughter is 17 and we haven’t mentioned it to her. Hope she’s all right with it.

Did anyone see the footballguys email from last where Joe talked about a GoFundMe for some fantasy writers that got screwed over by not getting paid for work done?

Does anyone know what this new site this was?

Who was the owner/investor behind it all that didn’t pay the fantasy football writers/analysts?

@Joe Bryant

Did anyone see the footballguys email from last where Joe talked about a GoFundMe for some fantasy writers that got screwed over by not getting paid for work done?

Does anyone know what this new site this was?

Who was the owner/investor behind it all that didn’t pay the fantasy football writers/analysts?

@Joe Bryant

More info here on it. https://in-betweenmedia.com/start-s...ense-of-the-sportstopia-scandal-daryl-snyder/
Thanks, Joe.

Positive of getting old. Stopped by CVS at 2:15 today to pick up prescription. Like 15 cars in line. So I go inside because that's usually faster anyway. Like 20 people in line, so I bail. Wife and daughter putting up decorations I run out about 30 minutes ago. There and back in 12 minutes......that's a win boys

Last edited:
Positive of getting old. Stopped by CVS at 2:15 today to pick up prescription. Like 15 cars in line. So I go inside because that's usually faster anyway. Like 20 people in line, so I bail. Wife and daughter putting up decorations I run out about 30 minutes ago. There and back in 12 minutes......that's a win boys
Duh. And congrats! Well done.

i'm so lost
He’s not waiting an hour for the new in-n-out that just opened 👍

i'm so lost
I'm old so instead of waiting in line I just wait till 8:30 on a f****** Friday night cuz I'm not doing anything and there is no one there

my wife has some type of crazy stomach flu on this trip. she’s basically been bed ridden for 4 days. nothing worse than being sick and not having the home bed advantage. also, i am randomly buying medication at the farmacia trying to translate ingredients. everything is behind the counter here. no drive thru with 20 cars though.

Lost a good friend today. My buddy’s wife lost her battle with cancer. As far as we knew everything was going ok, she was trying to get into some experimental trial. We even had dinner planned for tomorrow, so it was all business as usual

Then a week before Christmas she got the news that there was nothing else they could do and she likely wouldn’t see Christmas

We saw her one last time a a few days ago and got the news this morning that she passed

Worst part is they have a 7 year old daughter, so I know it’s going to be extremely tough on her, but she will have a good support group

Anyway hug your loved ones and all that

Lost a good friend today. My buddy’s wife lost her battle with cancer. As far as we knew everything was going ok, she was trying to get into some experimental trial. We even had dinner planned for tomorrow, so it was all business as usual

Then a week before Christmas she got the news that there was nothing else they could do and she likely wouldn’t see Christmas

We saw her one last time a a few days ago and got the news this morning that she passed

Worst part is they have a 7 year old daughter, so I know it’s going to be extremely tough on her, but she will have a good support group

Man that really sucks, sorry for your loss GB.

I'm sorry Dan. Hang in there.

Users who are viewing this thread