What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

GM's Thread About Everything/GM's Thread About Nothing (8 Viewers)

So, a large part of the country is getting bitterly cold weather for the next week. Dangerous cold.

So, what does Lennox do? Their distributors (who carry all the equipment and service parts for companies that repair furnaces) are CLOSED on Monday for Martin Luther King day. Now, while I admire that we celebrate this holiday, the HVAC business is a DEMAND business. We will need parts come Monday - this weekend is going to be brutal and dangerous for a lot of people if their furnace goes down.

Now, Lennox will send someone down to open the distributor in an emergency - at $75 - $100 a pop. But what they will also do is charge EVERYONE who needs a part that fee. So if someone calls in and orders a part and the shop is open, even if the guy is already there they charge you the $75 - $100. Which of course the consumer has to pay on top of the repair cost. Which should be on a normal business day for a demand industry.

So if you have a Lennox, pray it doesn't break this weekend or monday. :hot:

So, a large part of the country is getting bitterly cold weather for the next week. Dangerous cold.

So, what does Lennox do? Their distributors (who carry all the equipment and service parts for companies that repair furnaces) are CLOSED on Monday for Martin Luther King day. Now, while I admire that we celebrate this holiday, the HVAC business is a DEMAND business. We will need parts come Monday - this weekend is going to be brutal and dangerous for a lot of people if their furnace goes down.

Now, Lennox will send someone down to open the distributor in an emergency - at $75 - $100 a pop. But what they will also do is charge EVERYONE who needs a part that fee. So if someone calls in and orders a part and the shop is open, even if the guy is already there they charge you the $75 - $100. Which of course the consumer has to pay on top of the repair cost. Which should be on a normal business day for a demand industry.

I'll never buy Lennox again for a plethora of reasons now including this one

Are they union? They may have no choice over what holidays they are closed.

No.

No.

then I agree. they just suck.

After a 14-year hiatus, I started a full-time office job today. At an office. With a boss. And coworkers. And a boss. And coworkers.

Cry for me, Argentina!
My attorney is worse than @Zow
Well, I've made it through the first month.

Five more to go.

It's actually not too bad now that I've settled in. The woman I'm covering for when she goes out on maternity leave is awesome. She's being induced in a couple months.

Probably won't be very much fun when she goes and I'm on my own.

They seem to love me there (older women find me very charming). It will wear off, but I'm enjoying it for now.

Attorney is a little bit of an odd duck. She's mid to late 50s and very technology-averse.

I got her to share her Outlook calendar with me this week, and the rest of the office acts like I parted the Red Sea.

Still getting my 8-9 hours of sleep every night. I go to bed at 8:30 now.

Anyway, that's my dear diary for now.

After a 14-year hiatus, I started a full-time office job today. At an office. With a boss. And coworkers. And a boss. And coworkers.

Cry for me, Argentina!

Five more to go.

It's actually not too bad now that I've settled in. The woman I'm covering for when she goes out on maternity leave is awesome. She's being induced in a couple months.

They seem to love me there (older women find me very charming). It will wear off, but I'm enjoying it for now.

Attorney is a little bit of an odd duck. She's mid to late 50s and very technology-averse.

I got her to share her Outlook calendar with me this week, and the rest of the office acts like I parted the Red Sea.

Its not unusual for new mothers to decide to stay home and not return to work.

Cry for me, Argentina!

Five more to go.

Yeah, and I think the attorney is worried about that. But I've talked at length with the woman, and she says there is absolutely no way they could afford to do that. So she claims there's no chance of that.

Cry for me, Argentina!

Five more to go.

Yeah, and I think the attorney is worried about that. But I've talked at length with the woman, and she says there is absolutely no way they could afford to do that. So she claims there's no chance of that.
I’ve seen a lot of women say that (young teachers) and then find a way or realize they can. Siblings seem to follow in short order.

Cry for me, Argentina!

Five more to go.

I’ve seen a lot of women say that (young teachers) and then find a way or realize they can. Siblings seem to follow in short order.
I agree that happens a lot. I think it unlikely here. She has a four-year-old already, and this will be their second child. Plus, she's 40. So she's well into her career and I think is more of the consistent earner compared to her husband.

Probably similar to my marriage actually. It's why I started working from home mostly part time when we had my son - my wife makes all the money. We just decided it wasn't worth paying to have my son go to daycare five days a week, and then as he got older, we were more than comfortable living off just my wife's salary, so it worked out better for us for me to just keep working part time from home while shuttling my son all over the place and coaching and volunteering, etc.

It's worked for us. Don't think it can work for this woman and her family.

But when the job does end, I'll have a big decision on what I'm going to do. It's a big firm with multiple offices in the area. So they're pretty confident they would have a job for me somewhere.

And my son has graduated high school now, so...

Cry for me, Argentina!

Five more to go.

I agree that happens a lot. I think it unlikely here. She has a four-year-old already, and this will be their second child. Plus, she's 40. So she's well into her career and I think is more of the consistent earner compared to her husband.

Probably similar to my marriage actually. It's why I started working from home mostly part time when we had my son - my wife makes all the money. We just decided it wasn't worth paying to have my son go to daycare five days a week, and then as he got older, we were more than comfortable living off just my wife's salary, so it worked out better for us for me to just keep working part time from home while shuttling my son all over the place and coaching and volunteering, etc.

It's worked for us. Don't think it can work for this woman and her family.

But when the job does end, I'll have a big decision on what I'm going to do. It's a big firm with multiple offices in the area. So they're pretty confident they would have a job for me somewhere.

And my son has graduated high school now, so...
There was a brief period of time in my 20s when my wife made more than I did. One of my friends joked about his wife making more than him some day and crushing his ego, and I was stupid enough to say, "I long for the day my wife makes more money than me again."

I think it was like 30 seconds later* I got re-org'd out of a job. That was NOT what I had in mind.

*I might be exaggerating a bit.

I don't want to list it all out longform; I don't have the energy. That's another thing. I'm so LowT. I think. Hang on, my dog Midnight needs to pee.

Edibles and beer finally kicking in. Been a weird weekend.

Dropped my oldest son off Sat morning 5am to go to Spain, where he will study in all Spanish for 3 months living with a host family. His program abroad is largely paid for by scholarships, grants and loans + me. Then he goes to Japan to visit his boyfriend Luke, who we LOVE. I'll see my boy again in July. He has a 3.9 and 20K in the bank.

So proud. I'm a GREAT DAD!

Son 2 went to the Bay Area with frat bros with about $400 to his name. He owes $850 in rent by Tuesday.

He's in his 2nd year of college at UO. It will likely be his last.

In the fall, he presented to us a report card that read:

C-

D+ (yeah!)

F

We spent a million hours of energy and love trying to get him to fix this and get all the help needed to do better....I love him, we want him to succeed we do!

The weekend before exams, in a semester he NEEDED to get back in the game, he went day drinking on vodka punch and had a diabetic emergency that required hospitalization. He had no ID on him. Were it not for his friends, he'd be dead.

He went

F

F

F

I don't know what to do.

I'm the WORST DAD EVER

I don't know if I've ever replied in here GM, but reading your posts I just thought I'd put this out there.

I graduated with honors with a BS in Electrical Engineering in college. I've had a very good work career. I have zero complaints about how my work life has been. My parents were/are very proud of what I've accomplished in life.

My little brother passed a grand total of 3 college classes in a little over 18 months of college. Drank/partied/slept though class every day he was there. My parents didn't stop encouraging him, even after he failed. He currently owns his own company and has over 20 employees.

Sometimes college isn't the niche a kid needs. Don't stop supporting him, even if it seems the path he's taking is wrong in your eyes. Keep encouraging him to be his best and let him find the path in life he's destined to find. It's clearly not an academic path. That doesn't mean he won't wow you/make you a proud dad in another arena.

I imagine you're still a great dad, even if son #2 hasn't blossomed yet. He'll probably cause you to drink a few more frustration beers than son #1over the years, but those celebration beers will taste all the sweeter when he does succeed in life.

I don't know if I've ever replied in here GM, but reading your posts I just thought I'd put this out there.

I graduated with honors with a BS in Electrical Engineering in college. I've had a very good work career. I have zero complaints about how my work life has been. My parents were/are very proud of what I've accomplished in life.

My little brother passed a grand total of 3 college classes in a little over 18 months of college. Drank/partied/slept though class every day he was there. My parents didn't stop encouraging him, even after he failed. He currently owns his own company and has over 20 employees.

Sometimes college isn't the niche a kid needs. Don't stop supporting him, even if it seems the path he's taking is wrong in your eyes. Keep encouraging him to be his best and let him find the path in life he's destined to find. It's clearly not an academic path. That doesn't mean he won't wow you/make you a proud dad in another arena.

I imagine you're still a great dad, even if son #2 hasn't blossomed yet. He'll probably cause you to drink a few more frustration beers than son #1over the years, but those celebration beers will taste all the sweeter when he does succeed in life.

Thank you. This is precisely what I needed to read.

Hang in there GM. I was the poster child for underachievement when I first went to college. I was almost kicked out at least twice. Finally got my act together after a while. I went on to get 3 degrees. Now I guess folks would consider me a late bloomer.

I don’t have kids, but my recommendation is to be patient with kid #2. Try to provide him with subtle guidance, but realize he’s going to make mistakes regardless of how much intervention you provide (hopefully no more life-threatening ones). Shoot for mediocrity and hope for the best from there. Just remember, you’d be a bad dad if you didn’t care and clearly that’s NOT the case.

ETA: I could probably start my own thread about how reckless I was in my mid to late teens. Some scary #### imo

Hang in there GB.

One thing I've seen in young people - outward situations aren't always indicative of reality. I've seen kids that looked like they were on the right track find that wasn't really it. And I've seen kids that looked lost find what they were looking for.

It's a tough balance between love and coddling and enabling I know. You'll do great. Hang in there GB.

Son 2 went to the Bay Area with frat bros with about $400 to his name. He owes $850 in rent by Tuesday.

He's in his 2nd year of college at UO. It will likely be his last.

In the fall, he presented to us a report card that read:

C-

D+ (yeah!)

F

We spent a million hours of energy and love trying to get him to fix this and get all the help needed to do better....I love him, we want him to succeed we do!

The weekend before exams, in a semester he NEEDED to get back in the game, he went day drinking on vodka punch and had a diabetic emergency that required hospitalization. He had no ID on him. Were it not for his friends, he'd be dead.

He went

F

F

F

I don't know what to do.

I'm the WORST DAD EVER
The world is full of kids who did not excel in college but managed to crush life. Foos flunked out of college and is not only professionally successful, but everyone on the planet absolutely loves him. And IIRC has a challenging son of his own in this regard. He might be worth reaching out to.

One of my college friends took 6+years to graduate with a degree nobody would call difficult to obtain. By title and pay, he's probably the most successful of all my college friends.

It's not the path we imagine for them. And if it's my daughter, I'll have a hard time seeing the potential positive outcomes as well. But they're out there. He just may need a more experiential path to get there.

Hang in there and keep being supportive, gb.

Thanks, everybody. I hate going all doom and gloom, which is why I wanted to highlight the good first. It's just been a really tumultuous ride of late.

But the sun is out, the weather is perfect, I took my doggo with me to work, got a little disc golf in my future and hopefully, Kid 2 will call me with some positive updates as we try to keep his boat from capsizing fully. I believe he can right the ship, but he's going to need a lot of help.

And, if he doesn't I'm still here for him. All I want is a happy life for him, he just needs to help me help him.

Thanks, everybody. I hate going all doom and gloom, which is why I wanted to highlight the good first. It's just been a really tumultuous ride of late.

But the sun is out, the weather is perfect, I took my doggo with me to work, got a little disc golf in my future and hopefully, Kid 2 will call me with some positive updates as we try to keep his boat from capsizing fully. I believe he can right the ship, but he's going to need a lot of help.

And, if he doesn't I'm still here for him. All I want is a happy life for him, he just needs to help me help him.
We had a similar situation with my 16 year old a few weeks ago. He was having a really hard time prioritizing things for a variety of issues: school and grades, his diet because he tries to eat healthy, no hours at work, was sick which created the school issues , girlfriend, going to the gym for his workouts etc.

His brain was just in knots trying to figure out where to even start.

So we just sat him down and I told him: Solve the easy ones first on a day to day basis so you can achieve small victories. Small positives add up to large gains overall. So last week we said:

1. Get up when I get up. Boots on the ground and make yourself a healthy breakfast. So he did.
2. The sickness was not your fault. Go to school and talk to your teachers to make up any missing assignments from being sick. Which he did.
3. Go to the gym directly after school. So he did.

Did this all last week so he then had his whole evening available after 5:00 pm. So he had time to go to his girlfriend with a free mind knowing he already checked off the easy things. Or get home work done.

He had his best week in a LONG time. Small victories make a difference.

Hang in there GB. Are you playing later today?? where?

And I have a me too story that is similar but with my nephew. For those that know all about the troubles of my sister and difficulties with life, my three nephews have navigated their broken family pretty well. The oldest Charlie is kicking *** at Butler in sports management and Drew, the youngest, has issues but is doing well and is an outstanding baseball player at 13. However, Kyle, the middle one, is having some real issues right now. He's mad at my sister for her downfall and not being around to hold up her end of the parenting agreement the past 3 or 4 years. He's doing great with volleyball and his club team (he's 6' 4" and is getting a scholarship to a small school) he's been drinking, smoking weed and doing other stuff recently. Two weeks ago my sister got a call from paramedics that they found him unconscious at the United Center in downtown Chicago. Took him to the ER and he ended up being okay, but no drug tests or tox screens so we don't know what really happened. And nothing came of it. No at home drug test, no grounding...I might not have all the details, but it was just swept under the run until the next time. I've reached out to see if he wants to talk about things but nothing yet. Anyway...just venting because I care about these guys so much and it sucks being across the country and not able to be there for them in person.

Let's meet up soon GM.

And I have a me too story that is similar but with my nephew. For those that know all about the troubles of my sister and difficulties with life, my three nephews have navigated their broken family pretty well. The oldest Charlie is kicking *** at Butler in sports management and Drew, the youngest, has issues but is doing well and is an outstanding baseball player at 13. However, Kyle, the middle one, is having some real issues right now. He's mad at my sister for her downfall and not being around to hold up her end of the parenting agreement the past 3 or 4 years. He's doing great with volleyball and his club team (he's 6' 4" and is getting a scholarship to a small school) he's been drinking, smoking weed and doing other stuff recently. Two weeks ago my sister got a call from paramedics that they found him unconscious at the United Center in downtown Chicago. Took him to the ER and he ended up being okay, but no drug tests or tox screens so we don't know what really happened. And nothing came of it. No at home drug test, no grounding...I might not have all the details, but it was just swept under the run until the next time. I've reached out to see if he wants to talk about things but nothing yet. Anyway...just venting because I care about these guys so much and it sucks being across the country and not able to be there for them in person.

Let's meet up soon GM.

Thanks GB, I'm sorry to hear about your nephew.

I'm going to hit Memorial as it's not too far from my office. My dog likes to run the around that course, especially hole 9 where he can sprint down that hill. Need a few tune-up rounds before I get with you but we need to do it soon.

Also, let me know if you're going anywhere to watch Purdue. I'd love to join you for it but understand if your superstitious and need to watch it in isolation with a favorite bobblehead doll. :lmao:

Let's meet up soon GM.

I'm going to hit Memorial as it's not too far from my office. My dog likes to run the around that course, especially hole 9 where he can sprint down that hill. Need a few tune-up rounds before I get with you but we need to do it soon.

Also, let me know if you're going anywhere to watch Purdue. I'd love to join you for it but understand if your superstitious and need to watch it in isolation with a favorite bobblehead doll. :lmao:
Yes...that's what I'm going to be doing. Sorry. :( Alone....and YES I have my Rick Mount bobblehead right next to the TV!

Texted you GM. S

its that last line that is so difficult. My daughter is STUBBORN. No clue where she gets that :whistle: I just want her to happy and not struggle too much. Some struggle is good, but it’s hard to watch.

Let's meet up soon GM.

Yes...that's what I'm going to be doing. Sorry. :( Alone....and YES I have my Rick Mount bobblehead right next to the TV!

All good, I get it. GOOD LUCK. Purdue winning it all would secure a big bracket win for me and that would be swell!

Let's meet up soon GM.

All good, I get it. GOOD LUCK. Purdue winning it all would secure a big bracket win for me and that would be swell!
In need of UCONN-Purdue and a UCONN win, but it's for small poh-tay-toes. Willing to conceded.

And my son is going on a HS trip to Spain for 2 weeks. Maybe they can hook up. God bless financial aid covering even stuff like this for us. The Physics of sailing in Mallorca. It doesn't get more private NYC HS than that.

Sending love, GM.

I'd worry about you if you weren't taking your kids trials and tribulations to heart. As it it is, it continues to show what a good dude you are that you are.

Thanks GB.

In happier news, I'm coming out of coaching retirement this week to coach the twins in soccer this spring. Why you might ask? Because I miss the kids? The comradery? The team building? No, no and no.

No, I'm coming back because there was a team we played in the fall whose E. European coach was a complete and utter carbuncle and I want nothing more than to throttle him. Dude filed a formal complaint against my son with the ref and it's been eating me alive for months. Oh, and his son? His name is Milos. I'm not making that up. He yelled it out all game long and it was all I could do not to yell back 'ANOTHER GAME FOR MILOS!!!!!!!!!!!!'

I'm sorry to hear of your recent troubles GB. The hardest thing for a parent to do (speaking from experience) is to let their child fail. I let him make his own choices, but try to bomb in on life altering stuff, so he can fail but not too hard. I'm probably not doing it right, but ultimately it is up to him. My youngest is on track to graduate in the fall and then perhaps move on to graduate school, but it is a struggle. Praying things go well for you and him.

Users who are viewing this thread