What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Guardians of the Galaxy -- tracking at 100% on RottenTomatoes (1 Viewer)

How recent is the Guardians comic material? Is it a graphic novel or something? I'm not a comic guy but I'd never heard of it until I saw a preview.

How recent is the Guardians comic material? Is it a graphic novel or something? I'm not a comic guy but I'd never heard of it until I saw a preview.
this version i think started in the 90s. And dont worry, not many have heard of them.

[silver Surfer's] with the studio (Fox - db) that has the Fantastic Four. I would love it if Marvel could get all their character rights back.
You'd think there's be a load of money to be made somewhere for the right people to get together in a room and hash out a means for all the Marvel characters to be back under one roof. I guess large American-based studios rarely, if ever, collaborate on blockbusters, huh? (I know there are partnerships between American and overseas movie studios)
Fox made an offer to Marvel at one point on the licensing but it was ridiculous.
There was a rumor a few years ago that Marvel made an offer to extend the timeframe for Fox when it was working on a Daredevil reboot in exchange for the rights to Galactus & the Silver Surfer. Who knows if it was true but it must not have mattered as the Daredevil reboot fell thru and reverted back to Marvel.

They have The Punisher, Blade & Ghost Rider back in the fold now also. Not sure about Elektra but it should be Marvel's again now.

My guess is the F4 reboot flops and they get it back eventually. Although, I still cant believe the Spidey reboots/money grabs made so much money, they were poor to terrible movies.
Yeah, I didn't even know about it until now. After a little reading up on it, the concept sounds horrible.

Crossover with X-Men would be promising
Meh, the FF has been bland for years. One of my least favorite comics as a kid.
The Thing is pretty popular
They need to redo FF just to redo the joke they made the Thing into.
They are rebooting the FF. The guy who directed Chronicle is doing it. Starring Miles Teller, Kate Mara, Michael B. Jordan, and Jamie Bell as the F4.

Of course, if this attempt to reboot the franchise also craters, I could see Fox selling the rights back to Disney. They'd likely think that the franchise only has value to Marvel.
I think you give this back to Marvel/Disney they get it right. I think the difference is the respect for the characters. Yes they break canon at times but usually they keep the right stuff right. And you know I wasn't a huge Thor or Cap fan. But the movies have won me over. Done right I could be a F4 fan as well. Kind of like Smallville and Superman. I was never a huge Superman fan but Smallville humanized the character in such a way I definitely became more of fan.

I enjoyed it but thought Michael Rooker, Walking Dead guy, was a pretty generic choice for such a prominent role. Big misfire. Needed an actor with some gravitas.

NCCommish said:
Daywalker said:
shadyridr said:
Daywalker said:
I enjoyed it but thought Michael Rooker, Walking Dead guy, was a pretty generic choice for such a prominent role. Big misfire. Needed an actor with some gravitas.
why was that a prominent role?
He's arguably the main antagonist.
He's kind of like Jabba. He adds to the pressure but he isn't the biggest problem.
He has a backstory with Pratt's dad. He kidnapped and raised Pratt. He is fighting with Pratt for the orb at the conclusion of this film. The next film looks like him going after Pratt.

Is that not prominent?

Thoughts on Quinn's dad:

At the very beginning of the film, Quinn's Mom says that his dad "looked like an angel", then towards the end of the film that is exactly how Yondu describes himself. Followed by calling Quinn "son". I have no idea what the comic series history is, but it certainly seems they are going down that path.

Thoughts on Quinn's dad:

At the very beginning of the film, Quinn's Mom says that his dad "looked like an angel", then towards the end of the film that is exactly how Yondu describes himself. Followed by calling Quinn "son". I have no idea what the comic series history is, but it certainly seems they are going down that path.
he said he was NO angel and that he didnt deliver him to his dad like he was supposed to.

Thoughts on Quinn's dad:

he said he was NO angel and that he didnt deliver him to his dad like he was supposed to.
Yondu says he is "pretty as an angel" as he takes what he thinks is the Infinity Stone from Quinn. That doesn't jibe at all with Quinn's non-human half giving him the ability to hold the stone for longer time, but they are definitely trying to get folks to think that way. Yondu calling Quinn's dad a jerk could be an inside joke, just for Yondu's enjoyment. Might be a red herring, but the bread crumbs are there if you want to follow them.

Brady Marino said:
NCCommish said:
Daywalker said:
I thought he was fine. He does well playing that kind of character.
LOVED his performance. Although I haven't watched Walking Dead, so he's "that guy from Mallrats!" to me still.
Rowdy Burns for me.

Just got back from the movie, Thursday the week following release they had 3 simultaneous showings and 2 of them were full...

Holy #### was it good though.

Even though he was in it for less than 5 minutes, Brolin ####### nailed Thanos, so excited to see him play that character again.

So let me see if I have this right:

This is supposed to be a parody of comic book/super hero movies?

If so, then I think I get why it sucks. If you lampoon something that is already stupid it really doesn't work.*

*see "Spaceballs".

Last edited by a moderator:
Thoughts on Quinn's dad:

Yondu says he is "pretty as an angel" as he takes what he thinks is the Infinity Stone from Quinn. That doesn't jibe at all with Quinn's non-human half giving him the ability to hold the stone for longer time, but they are definitely trying to get folks to think that way. Yondu calling Quinn's dad a jerk could be an inside joke, just for Yondu's enjoyment. Might be a red herring, but the bread crumbs are there if you want to follow them.
wtf is quinn?

If so, then I think I get why it sucks. If you lampoon something that is already stupid it really doesn't work.*

*see "Spaceballs".
No. Watchman is an ingenious superhero parody (the book, not the film). This is just a less serious, fun, goofy, yet still superhero-themed movie.

People like it because it doesn't take itself as seriously as Batman or even the Avengers. It's superhero-y but makes them laugh a lot. Jackson Pollack spaceship. The great Earth hero Kevin Bacon. Et cetera.

Now I don't think it's as amazing as some people, but as a guy who has a pretty decent sense of taste (*adjusts his monocle*) I'll go on record as saying it's an ok movie. I'll probably take my son to see it again.

And that's the thing for me and comic book movies. It's one of the few great male narratives out there and fathers and sons can bond around them, kinda like sports but with more spandex and crap blowing up. The twelve year old inside me finally gets his dream of all his favorite characters brought to the screen (and done well) and my seven year old son gets to experience them for the first time. He's gotten into comics, He reads the goofy kid versions all the time. One of my guilty pleasures is reading Marvel digital comics in bed at night. Yes, my wife finds this irresistibly sexy of me.

And but also sorry for responding so seriously to your limp-wristed fly cast. I feel much shame.

Also in the vein of favorite boyhood characters finally brought to the screen ---

When will Peter Jackson or someone bring Raistlin to the screen? AmIright?

*see "Spaceballs".
Your face is a parody.

Spaceballs is awesome.

NCCommish said:
Ramsay Hunt Experience said:
Drifter said:
shadyridr said:
Cold Dead Hands said:
FUBAR said:
Buckna said:
[silver Surfer's] with the studio (Fox - db) that has the Fantastic Four. I would love it if Marvel could get all their character rights back.
You'd think there's be a load of money to be made somewhere for the right people to get together in a room and hash out a means for all the Marvel characters to be back under one roof. I guess large American-based studios rarely, if ever, collaborate on blockbusters, huh? (I know there are partnerships between American and overseas movie studios)
Fox made an offer to Marvel at one point on the licensing but it was ridiculous.
There was a rumor a few years ago that Marvel made an offer to extend the timeframe for Fox when it was working on a Daredevil reboot in exchange for the rights to Galactus & the Silver Surfer. Who knows if it was true but it must not have mattered as the Daredevil reboot fell thru and reverted back to Marvel.

They have The Punisher, Blade & Ghost Rider back in the fold now also. Not sure about Elektra but it should be Marvel's again now.

My guess is the F4 reboot flops and they get it back eventually. Although, I still cant believe the Spidey reboots/money grabs made so much money, they were poor to terrible movies.
Yeah, I didn't even know about it until now. After a little reading up on it, the concept sounds horrible.

Crossover with X-Men would be promising
Meh, the FF has been bland for years. One of my least favorite comics as a kid.
The Thing is pretty popular
They need to redo FF just to redo the joke they made the Thing into.
They are rebooting the FF. The guy who directed Chronicle is doing it. Starring Miles Teller, Kate Mara, Michael B. Jordan, and Jamie Bell as the F4.

Of course, if this attempt to reboot the franchise also craters, I could see Fox selling the rights back to Disney. They'd likely think that the franchise only has value to Marvel.
I think you give this back to Marvel/Disney they get it right. I think the difference is the respect for the characters. Yes they break canon at times but usually they keep the right stuff right. And you know I wasn't a huge Thor or Cap fan. But the movies have won me over. Done right I could be a F4 fan as well. Kind of like Smallville and Superman. I was never a huge Superman fan but Smallville humanized the character in such a way I definitely became more of fan.
Thor still sucks.

Cap grew on me big time.

wtf is quinn?
Peter Quinn = Quinn = Star Lord

A lot of different promotional material for GoG refers to this one character differently, so there can be confusion.

Same thing happened with the Lord of the Rings, when McDonald's toys, et al, called Aragorn "Strider", which IIRC came from a throwaway line in the movie (maybe was Aragorn was often called "Strider" in Tolkein's books).

wtf is quinn?

A lot of different promotional material for GoG refers to this one character differently, so there can be confusion.

Same thing happened with the Lord of the Rings, when McDonald's toys, et al, called Aragorn "Strider", which IIRC came from a throwaway line in the movie (maybe was Aragorn was often called "Strider" in Tolkein's books).
Strider was how he was referred to at the start of the books until everyone discovered he was the son of the king.

wtf is quinn?

Quill

wtf is quinn?

Except his name is Peter Quill

*see "Spaceballs".
You're really not helping the perception that old people are just a bunch of cranky complainers in here.

wtf is quinn?

Strider was how he was referred to at the start of the books until everyone discovered he was the son of the king.
The name Strider was actually used through out the books. Just search for the name Strider in the last two books below and it is used quite a bit, mostly by the Hobbits but even Aragorn still refers to himself as Strider on occasion.

http://arda.ir/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2012/01/Lord-Of-The-Rings-Part-2-The-Two-Towers-By-J-R-R-Tolkien.pdf

http://arda.ir/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2012/01/Lord-Of-The-Rings-Part-3-The-Return-Of-The-King-By-J-R-R-Tolkien.pdf

Also in the vein of favorite boyhood characters finally brought to the screen ---

When will Peter Jackson or someone bring Raistlin to the screen? AmIright?
ummm who?
Raistlin was one of the greatest characters ever written for fantasy books IMO.
Just googled it and never even heard of those books. Thats out of my realm.
really nice set of books (the first 6 specifically).

BTW I forgot where I read it but Star Lord was given the name Peter Quill by his creator because Peter and Quill are both terms for ****. I never heard the 2nd one but I assume its a British term or something. Either way, pretty amusing especially when you think about the #### message he sent.

Wait...

Who the eff doesn't like Spaceballs? You missing the humor center in your brain or sumsuch?

Black guys combing the desert (We aint found ****)

A druish princess....

Mel Brooks being about as schticky as is possible.

".... because good is dumb."

C'mon man.

huh, I never saw Quinn used even once. Are you confusing his name Peter Quill or are you saying they promoted him under two different real names?
I missed that the confusion was over QuiNN vs. QuiLL. I read "Quinn" as "Quill". Thought he only knew the character as "Star Lord" and didn't know who "Quill" was.

My bad :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread