What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Guardians of the Galaxy -- tracking at 100% on RottenTomatoes (1 Viewer)

I went in really stoked and ready to love it. It was alright. Fine. But I wasn't all OMGOMG!

I know I'm in the minority but it was a decent sci fi action flick. Not much more not much less. Just slightly over the top on the cheese ball stuff for me to get seriously lost in.

I loved Both CA movies and Both Thor movies. Like the first IM.

I think the first IM, the second CA and the Avengers are in my uber elite tier personally.

That said I'm house money for any Marvel movie coming out including GOTG 2.

Maybe I can live long enough they can get all the lawyers together and put together the secret wars saga. Or any mix of xmen/avengers/spidey. I'd like to see them work The Vision into the Avengers series.

I went in really stoked and ready to love it. It was alright. Fine. But I wasn't all OMGOMG!

I know I'm in the minority but it was a decent sci fi action flick. Not much more not much less. Just slightly over the top on the cheese ball stuff for me to get seriously lost in.

I think the first IM, the second CA and the Avengers are in my uber elite tier personally.

Maybe I can live long enough they can get all the lawyers together and put together the secret wars saga. Or any mix of xmen/avengers/spidey. I'd like to see them work The Vision into the Avengers series.
Vision will be in Age of Ultron.

Vision will be in Age of Ultron.
And he will be voiced by Paul Bettany (who also voiced Jarvis if memory serves).

I know #### all about any comics and thought it was awesome. Took my 10yo this weekend and both of us thoroughly enjoyed it

Took my ten year old son and we both loved it. Perfect blend of sci-fi, action, humor, and Rocket muther***** Raccoon.

"Here's your prosthetic leg"

"You really got that? I was just kidding"

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Also have to say that watching the previews I was thinking that using 70's tunes was going to be kinda lame, but how they were woven into the story and helped Quill keep the memory of his mom alive was really touching and cool.

I went in really stoked and ready to love it. It was alright. Fine. But I wasn't all OMGOMG!I know I'm in the minority but it was a decent sci fi action flick. Not much more not much less. Just slightly over the top on the cheese ball stuff for me to get seriously lost in.I loved Both CA movies and Both Thor movies. Like the first IM.I think the first IM, the second CA and the Avengers are in my uber elite tier personally.That said I'm house money for any Marvel movie coming out including GOTG 2.Maybe I can live long enough they can get all the lawyers together and put together the secret wars saga. Or any mix of xmen/avengers/spidey. I'd like to see them work The Vision into the Avengers series.
This pretty much sums up my thoughts. Too over the top on the corny cheesy stuff (sorry, space raccoon was just dumb). The only character I'll even remember was Groot-and I even forgot his name right after the movie until my son corrected me.

Wife's response immediately after movie when I asked if she liked it: "Well...it was cute". Pretty much describes it. "Cute"

My rankings:

Avengers

IM1

Thor/2nd Thor (pretty much tied for me)

IM3

GOTG

IM2

Capt America. (Haven't seen 2nd one)

I went in really stoked and ready to love it. It was alright. Fine. But I wasn't all OMGOMG!I know I'm in the minority but it was a decent sci fi action flick. Not much more not much less. Just slightly over the top on the cheese ball stuff for me to get seriously lost in.I loved Both CA movies and Both Thor movies. Like the first IM.I think the first IM, the second CA and the Avengers are in my uber elite tier personally.That said I'm house money for any Marvel movie coming out including GOTG 2.Maybe I can live long enough they can get all the lawyers together and put together the secret wars saga. Or any mix of xmen/avengers/spidey. I'd like to see them work The Vision into the Avengers series.
This pretty much sums up my thoughts. Too over the top on the corny cheesy stuff (sorry, space raccoon was just dumb). The only character I'll even remember was Groot-and I even forgot his name right after the movie until my son corrected me.

Wife's response immediately after movie when I asked if she liked it: "Well...it was cute". Pretty much describes it. "Cute"

My rankings:

Avengers

IM1

IM3

GOTG

IM2

GOTG was better than all those. Of course I don't really care for "serious" super hero movies.

BTW, IMAX 3D was incredible. Saw it at the Chinese Theater in Hollywood and it was the best quality picture I've ever seen.

Just got back from seeing it. Don't know what the final gross will be but that is the fullest I have seen a 10 AM matinee on a Sunday in a long time. Theater was at least 80% full maybe more. Anyway I really enjoyed it. After Iron Man 1 probably their best origin film. I see we are trying to compare it to Dark Knight. The comparison is a stretch. This was never going to be that. Two totally different films. This was exactly what it was meant to be and they did it very well. I look forward to the next one.
"Compare" isn't the right word here - all I am trying to convey is that if I look at Superhero/Comic Book movies as a genre, then Nolan's trilogy sets the standard.

As a "fun" comic book movie, GOTG was fantastic, but the filmmaking/storytelling falls short of the bar Nolan has set. If you want to count them as two different genres, I'm ok with that. And as far as ranking them NCC, I am right with you - IM 1, Avengers, GoTG are all right there in tier 1.
I love Nolan's trilogy. I would agree that is top line movie making that took the comic book movie to a much higher level of the art. I wouldn't call them different genres though. Just different worlds they work in and of course GotG was never really dark like Batman IIRC.
Batman is easily the best serious comic book movie but GOTG was the most fun.

Other actors considered for the Rocket Raccoon voice.

Adam Sandler, David Tennant, Sharlto Copley, Jim Carrey and H. Jon Benjamin were considered to voice Rocket Raccoon.

Of these, Sharlto Copley intrigues me the most.

I think if Sandler or Carrey had done the voice, the movie would have bombed :thumbdown:

Just got back from seeing it. Don't know what the final gross will be but that is the fullest I have seen a 10 AM matinee on a Sunday in a long time. Theater was at least 80% full maybe more. Anyway I really enjoyed it. After Iron Man 1 probably their best origin film. I see we are trying to compare it to Dark Knight. The comparison is a stretch. This was never going to be that. Two totally different films. This was exactly what it was meant to be and they did it very well. I look forward to the next one.
"Compare" isn't the right word here - all I am trying to convey is that if I look at Superhero/Comic Book movies as a genre, then Nolan's trilogy sets the standard.

As a "fun" comic book movie, GOTG was fantastic, but the filmmaking/storytelling falls short of the bar Nolan has set. If you want to count them as two different genres, I'm ok with that. And as far as ranking them NCC, I am right with you - IM 1, Avengers, GoTG are all right there in tier 1.
I love Nolan's trilogy. I would agree that is top line movie making that took the comic book movie to a much higher level of the art. I wouldn't call them different genres though. Just different worlds they work in and of course GotG was never really dark like Batman IIRC.
Avengers was pretty darn fun.

And the best. And easily the most rewatchable.

Guardians of the Galaxy was for me the most creative movie I've seen since Star Wars. Now, I'm not the super nerd a casual brush by of this thread makes most of you out to be, which means I have no loyalties to any of this crap, but Guardians was a good movie even if you have seen a woman naked (in person). Special thanks to whomever that was that did the tiers - that was special.
Even if she was green? or pink, or blue?

And the best. And easily the most rewatchable.
Yeah straight up I'd put Avengers over GOTG. But as far as origin films go this has to be one of the best of them. And it was just darned entertaining so not very far behind Avengers overall.

Other actors considered for the Rocket Raccoon voice.

Adam Sandler, David Tennant, Sharlto Copley, Jim Carrey and H. Jon Benjamin were considered to voice Rocket Raccoon.

Of these, Sharlto Copley intrigues me the most.

I think if Sandler or Carrey had done the voice, the movie would have bombed :thumbdown:
OMG, that would have ruled so hard. He would have been perfect.

I know #### all about any comics and thought it was awesome. Took my 10yo this weekend and both of us thoroughly enjoyed it
Took my ten year old son and we both loved it. Perfect blend of sci-fi, action, humor, and Rocket muther***** Raccoon.
So by this I guess this is ok for a 9 year old? Want to take him this weekend, just want to make sure that it isn't going to scar him for life or make my wife give me the look during the movie.

So by this I guess this is ok for a 9 year old? Want to take him this weekend, just want to make sure that it isn't going to scar him for life or make my wife give me the look during the movie.
i took my five year old and there were a ton of kids even younger there. Other than a few curse words id say the movie was VERY kid friendly. My son got scared of the stupid dracula preview beforehand though.

My rankings:

Avengers

IM1

IM3

GOTG

IM2

GOTG was better than all those. Of course I don't really care for "serious" super hero movies.
Agreed, no way I would put IM3, Thor or Thor 2 above GOTG let alone in the same tier. Avengers was the only one I might have enjoyed more, but they were definitely different to watch, GOTG was more fun and Avengers was more epic superhero action. Even IM1 I would put below them. At the time IM1 was awesome, but apples to apples, I liked the other two better.

I figured Silver Surfer had to have at least a cameo here. Maybe that's down the road?

Anyway, this was pretty good. A little corny and I didn't always laugh but still the movie overall had a good entertainment factor going on. I liked the ensemble of characters, some interesting ones for sure.

I figured Silver Surfer had to have at least a cameo here. Maybe that's down the road?

Anyway, this was pretty good. A little corny and I didn't always laugh but still the movie overall had a good entertainment factor going on. I liked the ensemble of characters, some interesting ones for sure.
i think fox owns his rights. Or maybe they dont wtf do i know.

Fox has Fantastic Four and associated characters which include Silver Surfer, Galactus, Dr. Doom, the Skrull, etc.

i took my five year old and there were a ton of kids even younger there. Other than a few curse words id say the movie was VERY kid friendly. My son got scared of the stupid dracula preview beforehand though.
Yeah if your child can handle the action then it's fine. They hear worse on the playground and there is no way they get the painting joke.

He's with the studio that has the Fantastic Four. I would love it if Marvel could get all their character rights back.

Guardians of the Galaxy was for me the most creative movie I've seen since Star Wars. Now, I'm not the super nerd a casual brush by of this thread makes most of you out to be, which means I have no loyalties to any of this crap, but Guardians was a good movie even if you have seen a woman naked (in person). Special thanks to whomever that was that did the tiers - that was special.
Even if she was green? or pink, or blue?
You'd hit it.

[silver Surfer's] with the studio (Fox - db) that has the Fantastic Four. I would love it if Marvel could get all their character rights back.
You'd think there's be a load of money to be made somewhere for the right people to get together in a room and hash out a means for all the Marvel characters to be back under one roof. I guess large American-based studios rarely, if ever, collaborate on blockbusters, huh? (I know there are partnerships between American and overseas movie studios)

[silver Surfer's] with the studio (Fox - db) that has the Fantastic Four. I would love it if Marvel could get all their character rights back.
You'd think there's be a load of money to be made somewhere for the right people to get together in a room and hash out a means for all the Marvel characters to be back under one roof. I guess large American-based studios rarely, if ever, collaborate on blockbusters, huh? (I know there are partnerships between American and overseas movie studios)
Fox made an offer to Marvel at one point on the licensing but it was ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw it with my kids. 12yo daughter was meh. 9yo son loved it. I was middle of the road.

Fox made an offer to Marvel at one point on the licensing but it was ridiculous.
There was a rumor a few years ago that Marvel made an offer to extend the timeframe for Fox when it was working on a Daredevil reboot in exchange for the rights to Galactus & the Silver Surfer. Who knows if it was true but it must not have mattered as the Daredevil reboot fell thru and reverted back to Marvel.

They have The Punisher, Blade & Ghost Rider back in the fold now also. Not sure about Elektra but it should be Marvel's again now.

My guess is the F4 reboot flops and they get it back eventually. Although, I still cant believe the Spidey reboots/money grabs made so much money, they were poor to terrible movies.

There was a rumor a few years ago that Marvel made an offer to extend the timeframe for Fox when it was working on a Daredevil reboot in exchange for the rights to Galactus & the Silver Surfer. Who knows if it was true but it must not have mattered as the Daredevil reboot fell thru and reverted back to Marvel.

They have The Punisher, Blade & Ghost Rider back in the fold now also. Not sure about Elektra but it should be Marvel's again now.

My guess is the F4 reboot flops and they get it back eventually. Although, I still cant believe the Spidey reboots/money grabs made so much money, they were poor to terrible movies.
Yeah I really want Marvel to get Spidey back.

Yeah I really want Marvel to get Spidey back.
I liked Spider-Man 1 & 2, and the first reboot. But part of the problem with Sony and Fox has been the lack of consistency, while Marvel has been almost flawless. Even The Incredible Hulk, which I think is by far the worst of the Marvel studios films, isn't a complete mess the way Spidey 3, X-3, and the first Wolverine film are. Not to mention the totally messed up continuity of even the recent, good X-Men films.

There really is no downside for Marvel with the current FOX and Sony arrangements. Yes, if Marvel Studios was pumping out movies with FF, Spidey and X-Men then there would be a great deal more earnig potential, but it's not as if they don't benfit financially from those films. Comics, cartoons, merchandise all flow back to Marvel don't they?

There really is no downside for Marvel with the current FOX and Sony arrangements. Yes, if Marvel Studios was pumping out movies with FF, Spidey and X-Men then there would be a great deal more earnig potential, but it's not as if they don't benfit financially from those films. Comics, cartoons, merchandise all flow back to Marvel don't they?
I am not sure. I assume they get a piece of the action though.

Yeah, I didn't even know about it until now. After a little reading up on it, the concept sounds horrible.

Crossover with X-Men would be promising

Yeah, I didn't even know about it until now. After a little reading up on it, the concept sounds horrible.

Meh, the FF has been bland for years. One of my least favorite comics as a kid.

Never cared for F4 really.

The Thing is pretty popular

Never cared for F4 really.
Agree, not a fan of the F4 at all.

I am not sure. I assume they get a piece of the action though.
I read an article that Marvel/Disney gets a big chunk of the money from merchandising from the movies so toys, sheets, lunchboxes, etc. But thats a drop in the bucket compared to the movie box office and bluray/dvd sales (although those arent what they used to be.) As bad as the Spidey 2 remake was, it still brought in $700M in sales thanks to $500M international, about the same overall total as Cap 2 even though Cap 2 was far and away a way better movie.

Avengers did $1.5B worldwide!

The Dracula preview bothered my 14 year old. Agree about the movie being kid friendly.

They need to redo FF just to redo the joke they made the Thing into.

Fox has Fantastic Four and associated characters which include Silver Surfer, Galactus, Dr. Doom, the Skrull, etc.
That sucks. I'd love to see Marvel bring him to the screen. Did FOX show him in one of those ####ty FF movies I never watched?

They need to redo FF just to redo the joke they made the Thing into.
They are rebooting the FF. The guy who directed Chronicle is doing it. Starring Miles Teller, Kate Mara, Michael B. Jordan, and Jamie Bell as the F4.

Of course, if this attempt to reboot the franchise also craters, I could see Fox selling the rights back to Disney. They'd likely think that the franchise only has value to Marvel.

Users who are viewing this thread