What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Guardians of the Galaxy -- tracking at 100% on RottenTomatoes (1 Viewer)

The best villain in the Marvel film universe currently is Magneto. First class was an origin story for him and lifted that way up.

So Yondu's his father, right? Which means he's something ancient and more than he seems to be (which the cool arrow seems to support)?

He repeated Starlord's mothers line about being "pretty as an angel", seemed more impressed/proud than pissed about the switcheroo at the end, and also seemed to be making a joke that went over his lackey's head at the end about how Starlord's father was an ##### anyways.

So Yondu's his father, right? Which means he's something ancient and more than he seems to be (which the cool arrow seems to support)?

He repeated Starlord's mothers line about being "pretty as an angel", seemed more impressed/proud than pissed about the switcheroo at the end, and also seemed to be making a joke that went over his lackey's head at the end about how Starlord's father was an ##### anyways.
No, unless they drastically change the story/mythology.

Interesting. So did I misinterpret that stuff, or are they purposely leaving it questionable because his father is some huge character?

Interesting. So did I misinterpret that stuff, or are they purposely leaving it questionable because his father is some huge character?
Yondu was an original Guardian from the 1969 group. He was from Alpha Centauri and teamed with Vance Astro early on. Yondu had a bow and a quiver of arrows. He could control the flight of the arrows by whistling.

So does the raccoon ever take off his mask?
This is funny because people say raccoons have mask-like markings and there's a talking raccoon in this movie and it's comics so it's dumb and people who like it are dumb and gosh gee maybe one of those dumb fans will be dumb enough to reply to this fishing attempt, oh no there I go, I'm dumb. Oh Tanner, you sly funny man you.

Fun movie.

Disney/Marvel Studios has really found their groove with these things.
Yea. None of them are The Dark Knight levels of filmmaking, but they're all very entertaining and decent films. The only clunker they've done so far is Hulk with Norton. But maybe it was a good mistake because Ruffalo is much better in the Banner role.

solid movie, i enjoyed it.

I don't like this kind of cosmic stuff like I do with captain america or spider-man or the x-men, but I still found it enjoyable.

Fun movie.

Yea. None of them are The Dark Knight levels of filmmaking, but they're all very entertaining and decent films. The only clunker they've done so far is Hulk with Norton. But maybe it was a good mistake because Ruffalo is much better in the Banner role.
:lmao:
Even when I disagree, I can usually figure out what we're laughing at. But here, I got no clue.

Fun movie.

Even when I disagree, I can usually figure out what we're laughing at. But here, I got no clue.
You and me both.

Fun movie.

You and me both.
Same here. My exact comment to my GF after my son and I saw it was that it wasn't on par with Nolan's Batman trilogy but held its own vs Iron Man 1 (my favorite Marvel movie.)

My family thought it was awesome. Loved the humor. My 9 and 11 yo girls too. The humor helped offset the violence and made it less dark.

I loved the movie. It was very fun. One thing for the Marvel comic readers -

I wasn't a fan of how they made Ronan the Accuser the villain, and even less thrilled that they killed him. I love that guy in the comics. He was badass in both the Annihilation story arc and the recent Infinity arc.
It's a comic movie

No has to stay dead forever.

Yondu even says a line in the movie at the end to the effect of "I didn't even take him to his dad like I was supposed to"

Yondu even says a line in the movie at the end to the effect of "I didn't even take him to his dad like I was supposed to"

No, his lackey says that, and then Yondu smirks and says "that guys was an a hole anyways".

Seemed like a joke that only he got.

Just seems like they want to make viewers who don't know the backstory think it might be him, that's all.

Anyways, I don't think it's fair to compare these Marvel movies with Nolan's Batman. Nolan is taking a "realistic", gritty look at the Batman world in more of a Miller way. It's almost a completely different genre. Marvel is embracing all the source material and creating a far-reaching and ever-expanding universe of superhero/supervillain mythology that never would have fit in Nolan's world (putting aside that we're talking about Marvel/DC here).

Which could be a flaw in Nolan's work, depending on what you like or don't like about the DC universe. Because Nolan's Batman was never going to team up with Green Lantern or Martian Manhunter and fight something from outer space.

Just got back from seeing it. Don't know what the final gross will be but that is the fullest I have seen a 10 AM matinee on a Sunday in a long time. Theater was at least 80% full maybe more. Anyway I really enjoyed it. After Iron Man 1 probably their best origin film. I see we are trying to compare it to Dark Knight. The comparison is a stretch. This was never going to be that. Two totally different films. This was exactly what it was meant to be and they did it very well. I look forward to the next one.

Yondu even says a line in the movie at the end to the effect of "I didn't even take him to his dad like I was supposed to"No, his lackey says that, and then Yondu smirks and says "that guys was an a hole anyways".

Seemed like a joke that only he got.

Just seems like they want to make viewers who don't know the backstory think it might be him, that's all.

I heard it the same as Usual21. Anywho, I think the original mythology for the books would make for a more compelling storyline for the next movie. It would be very anti-climatic if it was Yondu.

On a sidenote, I liked the other Yondu who was originally part of the GotG in the late 80s with Vance Astro. But according to Marvel canon, that was in a different timeline/universe. He was more zen-like, when compared to the ravager.

Just got back from seeing it. Don't know what the final gross will be but that is the fullest I have seen a 10 AM matinee on a Sunday in a long time. Theater was at least 80% full maybe more. Anyway I really enjoyed it. After Iron Man 1 probably their best origin film. I see we are trying to compare it to Dark Knight. The comparison is a stretch. This was never going to be that. Two totally different films. This was exactly what it was meant to be and they did it very well. I look forward to the next one.
"Compare" isn't the right word here - all I am trying to convey is that if I look at Superhero/Comic Book movies as a genre, then Nolan's trilogy sets the standard.

As a "fun" comic book movie, GOTG was fantastic, but the filmmaking/storytelling falls short of the bar Nolan has set. If you want to count them as two different genres, I'm ok with that. And as far as ranking them NCC, I am right with you - IM 1, Avengers, GoTG are all right there in tier 1.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Compare" isn't the right word here - all I am trying to convey is that if I look at Superhero/Comic Book movies as a genre, then Nolan's trilogy sets the standard.

As a "fun" comic book movie, GOTG was fantastic, but the filmmaking/storytelling falls short of the bar Nolan has set. If you want to count them as two different genres, I'm ok with that. And as far as ranking them NCC, I am right with you - IM 1, Avengers, GoTG are all right there in tier 1.
I love Nolan's trilogy. I would agree that is top line movie making that took the comic book movie to a much higher level of the art. I wouldn't call them different genres though. Just different worlds they work in and of course GotG was never really dark like Batman IIRC.

Nolan's Batman trilogy takes itself a whole lot more seriously than most comic book films, but that in itself doesn't make it better or a higher artistic achievement than Marvel's offerings.

Nolan's Batman trilogy takes itself a whole lot more seriously than most comic book films, but that in itself doesn't make it better or a higher artistic achievement than Marvel's offerings.
Right the fact that it is great filmmaking is what makes it good and perhaps better in some ways. Although again the intent and viewpoint is different so it's hard to make the direct comparison.

Hawks64 said:
Riversco said:
The best villain in the Marvel film universe currently is Magneto. First class was an origin story for him and lifted that way up.
All a matter of opinion. Mine is Thanos in the Marvel universe.
Film universe, not Marvel universe. Thanos hasn't had enough air time yet and Magneto gets a huge boost by being played by two of the more talented actors working today.

Hawks64 said:
Jeff Vader said:
I loved the movie. It was very fun. One thing for the Marvel comic readers -

I wasn't a fan of how they made Ronan the Accuser the villain, and even less thrilled that they killed him. I love that guy in the comics. He was badass in both the Annihilation story arc and the recent Infinity arc.
It's a comic movie

No has to stay dead forever.
True. You just know the Red Skull is coming back at some point.

cosjobs said:
Officer Pete Malloy said:
The problem is that it is very hard to satirize comic book/super hero stuff because it is so goofy in the first place.
I don't think it was satire, it's as if they asked Tanner to write a superhero movie.

And Tanner was funnier
Though that whole gag about Kevin Bacon was Tanneresque.

NCCommish said:
Abrantes said:
Right the fact that it is great filmmaking is what makes it good and perhaps better in some ways. Although again the intent and viewpoint is different so it's hard to make the direct comparison.
Agree to disagree, particularly on your earlier point that Nolan's trilogy elevated the superhero movie to a higher artistic plane.

The Flying Elvis said:
ConnSKINS26 said:

I highly doubt that was his "cannon" origin in the movie.

so anything can happen. I did some google research after the flick, I like the comic image of Yondu big red mohawk

I was not really into Marvel as a kid so didnt know much about these guys.

I have a huge marvel chronicle book that lists all the major things through the years. This band of GOTG dont make the book. Rocket Racoon is not in the book either.

I have a huge marvel chronicle book that lists all the major things through the years. This band of GOTG dont make the book. Rocket Racoon is not in the book either.
ever since we played lego marvel I bought the marvel encyclopedia and read up on all these characters. 25 bucks only. Well worth it

from what I could tell this round of GotG in the comic happened around 2006 or so

Saw this yesterday with wife and 13 year old son. Thought it was "good", not "great" (as someone else said earlier).

I liked IM1 &3, Avengers, both Thor movies better. Son seemed to like it more than wife or I, and he didn't like the Thor movies or the IM movies, as much as we did.

Maybe my expectations were too high based on this thread and other reviews I read. Just not a movie that will stick with me.

Users who are viewing this thread