What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Halladay to Phills, Lee to Mariners, Prospects to Torono (3 Viewers)

The Blue Jays are a joke and their GM needs to be fired immediately. It seems they could have snagged a bit more had they moved him at the deadline.
If you think the Jay's GM is a joke try being a Tiger fan :cry:
I'm an A's fan...we have a great GM but our owners are total crap. At least you guys have an owner who can open up the pursestrings.
Yep he did open them up and then abruptly closed them after watching what our D-Bag Gm did with the cash.

Philly fans are lucky. Halladay is one of the classiest pro athletes around, very sad to see him leave Toronto.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4764006

Halladay thanks Blue Jays fans

TORONTO -- Former Toronto Blue Jays ace Roy Halladay has taken out a full-page newspaper advertisement thanking the city and the team's fans.

Halladay was traded to the Philadelphia Phillies on Dec. 16 after 12 seasons with Toronto. The ad in the Toronto Sun on Tuesday said that he felt "blessed" to have been part of the organization since being drafted in 1995.

Said the right-hander: "Toronto will forever have a special place in my heart. The memories will last a lifetime and so will my gratitude."

The 2003 Cy Young Award Winner was 148-76 with a 3.43 ERA for the Blue Jays. He was traded to the Phillies in a four-team blockbuster deal that included Cliff Lee.

Toronto Star has the other offers the Jays reportedly received from teams Halladay was willing to go to:

http://www.thestar.com/sports/baseball/mlb...some-tough-odds

According to sources, the most competitive offers for Halladay came from clubs he was ultimately unwilling to go to – the Chisox, Cubs and Dodgers. Heading to the meetings, Anthopoulos had not asked for a list of teams to which his ace would accept a trade. He could then honestly approach everyone and find out what they had to offer without feeling he was leading them on.

Sure, there were clues of what Doc wanted, like when it was reported he would only go to teams that trained on Florida's west coast. But in the final analysis, the real list came down to Philly, Boston and the Yankees. If the Angels had also been an acceptable destination it would have been for a one-year stint which would have diminished the return package the Halos could put together.

Culled from major-league sources, here is a list of some of the real offers against which the Phillies were ultimately competing:

The Angels offered lefty Joe Saunders and catcher Mike Napoli, a low-ball, short-term bandage.

The Yankees offered catcher Jesus Montero – that's it, that's all. Dealing within the division one-for-one for the greatest player in franchise history would be a fan disaster.

The Red Sox, who left behind a nice multi-player offer in the summer, were now not even willing to make a one-for-one with Clay Buchholz. They were saving their financial bullets for one stud hitter, John Lackey, and/or Aroldis Chapman.

The one reported deal within the AL East that would have made sense was with the Rays, for young starter Wade Davis and centre fielder B.J. Upton.

Unfortunately, according to sources, that offer was never made.

However, it was reported confidently in the media and became the gold standard that clubs had to match to stay in the game. It served Anthopoulos well as the ground-floor for discussions.

Almost seems like 2 seperate trades at this point.

BJ's to Phils: Roy Halladay & $6MM

Phils to BJ's: Kyle Drabek, Michael Taylor and probably Travis D'Arnaud

Phils to Seattle: Cliff Lee

Seattle to Phils: Phillippe Aumont, Tyson Gillies, and Juan Ramirez

(Some other prospects may be moving around as well)

Looks like the Phils are trading the farm for Halladay and trying to then reload it with Lee.

So with this and the Lee trade we basically did this:

Gave up: Kyle Drabek, Michael Taylor (and probably Travis D'Arnaud), Carlos Carrasco, Jason Knapp, Lou Marson Victor Martinez, Jason Donald

Got back: Roy Halladay, Ben Francisco, Phillippe Aumont, Tyson Gillies, Juan Ramirez, $6MM
I'm liking the deal more and more.

Halladay is the only guarentee out of all those players. I mean Phillies fan should know how prospects are. Sometimes they work out (Utley and Howard, some times they don't Carlton Loewer, sometimes they come out of nowhere Shane Victorino). I don't understand trading Lee, but the Halladay part makes perfect sense.Aside: Obviously, I'm not a prospect kind of guy. I'll take a proven commodity anyday of the week. Plus, Cliff Lee would have been worth a 1st and a sandwich pick anyway. Trading him and keeping Blanton is a head scratcher.
How about now?

Looks like the Phils are trading the farm for Halladay and trying to then reload it with Lee.

Gave up: Kyle Drabek, Michael Taylor (and probably Travis D'Arnaud), Carlos Carrasco, Jason Knapp, Lou Marson Victor Martinez, Jason Donald

Got back: Roy Halladay, Ben Francisco, Phillippe Aumont, Tyson Gillies, Juan Ramirez, $6MM

Halladay is the only guarentee out of all those players. I mean Phillies fan should know how prospects are. Sometimes they work out (Utley and Howard, some times they don't Carlton Loewer, sometimes they come out of nowhere Shane Victorino). I don't understand trading Lee, but the Halladay part makes perfect sense.Aside: Obviously, I'm not a prospect kind of guy. I'll take a proven commodity anyday of the week. Plus, Cliff Lee would have been worth a 1st and a sandwich pick anyway. Trading him and keeping Blanton is a head scratcher.
How about now?
I would have taken Smoak by himself over the crap we received for Lee.

How about now?
You're wondering if he's liking the Halladay part? I think so.

Users who are viewing this thread