What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

HBO Hard Knocks With The Cleveland Browns (1 Viewer)

they usually go heavy at least until final cut down day, so 9/1 at least. The one thing missing so far from this season is they usually latch on to 4-5 rookies/free agents by now so that there is some drama on cut down day to see who gets kept, who makes practice squad, and who gets claimed off of waivers by another team  (deadline for that is 9/2)
Thought the same thing regarding the roster bubble guys. Usually, they showcase at least a couple, but only have shown one so far (TE with his dad).

Thought the same thing regarding the roster bubble guys. Usually, they showcase at least a couple, but only have shown one so far (TE with his dad).
I think there just might be too many of those types of guys on the team. Remember the whole scene of the guy tearing the stripes off the helmets? I think this week will show a bit more because we really haven't seen the typical "depth chart" shot at all this year as we have in years past. You saw a bit on the board behind Dorsey when they talked about WR and Dez, but not like you have in the past. 

Bad was the last two years. This is night and day. When the NYG dude hits up Hue and tells him the team looks so much different he wasn't lying. Hue is soft but this team is gonna win some games they shouldn't this year. They ain't making the playoffs but they ain't putting up a goose egg in the win column again.
And that's why Hue needs to go ASAP, needed to go after last year.  The longer he sticks around, the more he'll infect the guys that aren't apathetic yet.

they usually go heavy at least until final cut down day, so 9/1 at least. The one thing missing so far from this season is they usually latch on to 4-5 rookies/free agents by now so that there is some drama on cut down day to see who gets kept, who makes practice squad, and who gets claimed off of waivers by another team  (deadline for that is 9/2)
Well the thing is the NFL changed their deadline rules for final cuts until the last weekend before the regular season. So teams don't have to make the periodic cuts throughout preseason that they usually do. So it's harder to follow along as they go, since it's all at once. Makes it harder for us all as well as it relates to IR designations, etc.

He's saying that you will double your investment after 7 years if you get a 10% return every year, which is true if only you can find something that will net you 10% every year.

He's saying that you will double your investment after 7 years if you get a 10% return every year, which is true if only you can find something that will net you 10% every year.

Nassib and Anthony Fabiano got into it a little before the Giants game.

Fabiano, a Harvard grad, points out that 10% is not always a given. In fact, over the past 90 years getting a return of exactly 8-10% out of the equity market never happened once.

But Nassib, with his Syracuse/Tony Robbins pedigree, is at least historically correct. There have been years when the market returns 35% and that happened 9 times over the last 90 years. It's a volatile beast but over 90 years, 10% is about right. And at an average of 10%, money does double every 7 years.  

It's easy to be a pessimist and say the past was the good old days and that never happens again but there's not really an alternative place to put all the money in the FIRE economy. Every mortgage payment, every insurance check, it all has to go somewhere.

for those looking for a TL:DR; put your money in S&P index fund (low fees) and don't look at how it's doing. 

Advantage: Nassib. 

Matt Bitonti said:
not enough Joel Bitonio 
Your personal relation aside, Joe Thomas actually addressed this last week on some show I was listening to. The OL room has a list of personally imposed infractions for stupid stuff and at the top of the list is doing something to get the cameras on you for Hardknocks. Something $650 per occurrence.

I like the way Baker talks to the guys on the field.  Confident and in command.  Seems in his element and not shying away from the leadership role.

Also Todd Haley sounds a lot like John Malkovich.

As far as Hue.  When you got Hyde, Chubb and Duke you have a bit of depth.  Should be able to push Duke a bit.  The attitude of the whole camp is worth the risk.  Especially when you have nothing to lose.

Idk that I've ever seen a less likeable coaching staff, between Hue, Gregg, and Haley (despite his jokes this week). Can't root for them at all. Fisher's coaching staff wasn't too far behind but at least the ST's guy was likeable. 

And the assistant coaches must be boring as hell, none of them are getting any real shine. 

Idk that I've ever seen a less likeable coaching staff, between Hue, Gregg, and Haley (despite his jokes this week). Can't root for them at all. Fisher's coaching staff wasn't too far behind but at least the ST's guy was likeable. 

And the assistant coaches must be boring as hell, none of them are getting any real shine. 
I miss Bryan Cox talking about his love of Adam Sandler movies. 

Finally watching this now ... not even half way through the first episode -

Hue Jackson isn’t a head coach. Zero leadership. Greg Williams talking about “turning down 7 jobs to be here

What a tool.

Todd Haley will be head coach by week 6

Can someone clarify what Nassib keeps asserting with these 9-10% gains? Is that true? 
https://www.getrichslowly.org/stock-market-returns/

Nassib is probably referencing research done that showed from 1996-2006, the rate of return for the stock market as a whole was ~10% before adjusting for inflation.  The "real" return others are referencing (7%) is just the gross return adjusted for typical inflation.  Both are technically correct.

Essentially, if you invest in the stock market via whole market, well-diversified mutual funds, you can expect to double your investment in ~7 years.  That's the beauty of compounding interest.  However, that assumes the long-term, allowing the down cycles and up cycles to balance out over time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought the OL coach was pretty funny. 

The highlights for next week show Kendricks saying that they have more talent in Cleveland than they did in Philly last year. He has to just mean the LBers, right ?

Interesting that Dez has led the NFL in TD receptions since 2012 (58).  He's 8th in targets and 9th in receptions during that time.  The players in 8th/9th place in TD's during that time are Doug Baldwin (40) and Michael Crabtree (39).

While his RZ prowess is well noted, I can't help but wonder if he might have been demanding of the ball in DAL in that area of the field?

I know its probably the editing for entertainment purposes, but the coaches always come off as clowns in these shows. Haley and Williams in particular, but Jackson isn't far behind.

Did anyone else catch the conversation between Halley and Landry on the sideline at the end of the episode where Haley said to Landry "I'm not waiting for some knight in shinning armor to come save us, I need you (refering to Landry) to be it and bring the young guys along"  I paraphrased a little.  But makes me wonder if Haley really believe Gordon will be anything this year.  I think Haley is going to make Landry a WR1 for fantasy and my willingness to draft Gordon at his current price has lowered.

Did anyone else catch the conversation between Halley and Landry on the sideline at the end of the episode where Haley said to Landry "I'm not waiting for some knight in shinning armor to come save us, I need you (refering to Landry) to be it and bring the young guys along"  I paraphrased a little.  But makes me wonder if Haley really believe Gordon will be anything this year.  I think Haley is going to make Landry a WR1 for fantasy and my willingness to draft Gordon at his current price has lowered.
That’s a pretty good catch.  In last weeks episode when Hue was like ‘the bird has landed’, Haley wasn’t exactly mirroring Hue in terms of glee growling ‘is he in shape?’.  Haley seems to be all about culture and I wouldn’t be surprised if he sees Gordon, and the Browns enablin* of him, as a symptom of the rancid performance of this franchise.  I’d have loved seeing Haley’s reaction when Gordon said he needed to ‘work on himself’.

1) Haley has won me over.  Coming into HK, my impression of him was less favorable.

2) The toe drag with the walking boots made the Landry parody video.

3) The ultra-slow mo of Mayfield pass was mesmerizing.  They’ve done some really cool things from an editing standpoint this year.

4) Great soundtrack for this episode

It's been really interesting to see Haley respond or not respond to the whole Gordon saga.  Reading between the lines this could mean a slow start for Gordon, but what do we know...when you're down 14 to the Saints in the 4th quarter, QBs tend to find their playmakers.

.3) The ultra-slow mo of Mayfield pass was mesmerizing.  They’ve done some really cool things from an editing standpoint this year.

4) Great soundtrack for this episode
Yea that spiral was a thing of beauty and how they framed the shot with the music choice was top notch stuff

It's been really interesting to see Haley respond or not respond to the whole Gordon saga.  Reading between the lines this could mean a slow start for Gordon, but what do we know...when you're down 14 to the Saints in the 4th quarter, QBs tend to find their playmakers.
I think the difference between Hue and Haley is, Haley is the new guy to the org and Hue has been around and knows the level that Gordon can play... not that Haley doesn't know Gordon can be a top receiver, but he wants practice reps and he wants guys he knows are in shape.

I kinda of see as Todd Haley trying to give some confidence to Landry after really berated Landry for his effort in the preseason game.  He really ripped Landry and you can hear Landry cussing back at Halley.  I'm sure Haley isn't going to hand Josh Gordon anything, but I really just saw it as Haley trying to make peace and give same confidence to Landry.  Landry might have never had anyone criticize him like that his entire playing career.   Landry looked like he was almost in tears.

Funny, I kinda saw it as the opposite. Landry seemed pissed bc that was an uncatchable ball and he knew it. Listening to some blowhard with anger issues berate you to make a point when you're the hardest worker on the offense every day must be infuriating. Landry is passionate. Haley is infamously kind of an ####### hothead. Haley walked it back and made peace, and Landry appreciated it. That's how I saw it. 

pbandy1 said:
I think the difference between Hue and Haley is, Haley is the new guy to the org and Hue has been around and knows the level that Gordon can play... not that Haley doesn't know Gordon can be a top receiver, but he wants practice reps and he wants guys he knows are in shape.
Hue Jackson has only been with the Browns since 2016.  Gordon has 18 receptions in actual games since then.  Both Haley and Jackson we coordinators in the same division in 2013 when Gordon last played at a high level. 

I'm kind of with Haley on this one.  A guy who was good 5 years ago comes in at the last minute before the season starts and he is supposed to be excited, he's skeptical as we all should be.  Landry has been there putting in the work for the last month and he is Haley's guy.  At least how I see it.

Kevrunner said:
I kinda of see as Todd Haley trying to give some confidence to Landry after really berated Landry for his effort in the preseason game.  He really ripped Landry and you can hear Landry cussing back at Halley.  I'm sure Haley isn't going to hand Josh Gordon anything, but I really just saw it as Haley trying to make peace and give same confidence to Landry.  Landry might have never had anyone criticize him like that his entire playing career.   Landry looked like he was almost in tears.
We’re certainly on the outside looking in, trying to ‘infer’ intent.  But Haley had a conversation with Landry about leadership and showing the young guys proper in a previous episode as well.  Seems to be a theme in how Haley is coaching Landry.

Look, Haley is trying to win with what he has and he's leaning on Landry to be a leader. Landry isn't afraid to push back and at the end of the day they kumbaya'd and moved on. Don't read more into it than that.

As for Gordon, how could anybody on that team possibly rely on him for anything? You're a fool if you do and the coach saying it on Hard Knocks was not an accident. I'm sure Haley is fed up with the situation as I think most folks in CLE are at this point. If he produces anything and is not a distraction, great but I'm not counting on or expecting anything from him. This weeks Hard Knocks did nothing to convince me otherwise. I still think he is distracted with all the other things he has going on in his life and I question his desire at this point.

2017 - 5 games, 18 receptions

2016 - Did not play

2015 - Did not play

2014 - 5 games, 24 receptions

2013 - 14 games, best ever

Users who are viewing this thread