What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Help snip and clip a feral colony (1 Viewer)

So $500 for 50 cats this year, but you know all the cats won't be trapped, so they'll continue to breed, and other ferals will be introduced, so this will need to be a yearly effort. Forever. Then consider that this colony will certainly expand into areas where they aren't wanted, and there will be people not as humane as you who strongly object to the cats' presence. It's a simple equation of biology and math that doesn't need much explanation, and sooner or later it leads to mass euthanasia of cats that have invaded an area. It sucks, and honestly it makes me sick to think of all the animals that are euthanized every year, and it leads me to the conclusion that feral colonies need to be aggressively removed rather than merely controlled, as early as possible. Rodent control is a weak argument because surely the monetary cost to an exterminator is much less than the cost of these TNR programs over time, and the cost borne to the cats in the form of disease, suffering and inevitably being euthanized.

In a nutshell...Let's try to place generation A in loving homes now, or failing that (because they're feral after all), humanely euthanize them, because generations B, C, D, etc. will be even less adoptable, and their numbers exponentially greater. Let's kill as few animals as possible.

I share your love of animals and admire your efforts here, but I simply disagree that this is an effective and humane method.
It cost over $2,000 for 50 cats, but some of the funding was already in the Meow Fund, but not enough, and this organization helps other colonies in the county as well. If we don't get them all, I will make every effort to trap the ones that aren't caught. As for stray ferals joining a neutered/spayed colony, once ferals are fixed it is rare for them to allow new ferals into their colony. There are several colonies that have lived in this county for years, and they have not gotten any bigger, and they are in locations where they don't bother anyone. Live and let live. The cats just eventually die off just like us humans do.

I'm not interested in debating you on the value of feral colonies. I don't mean this rudely, but you said your peace on how you feel about feral colonies earlier, so I don't know why you are still going on about it. You aren't interested in contributing to the feral fund, which is fine, so just be on your way. Scram!
:lol: You'll never catch that last 10 to 25% of cats who witness their cousins being trapped. You'll never match their patience, determination and cunning if you even bother to go back and try to manually trap them which I doubt you will. You'll go on to tell people you helped a cat colony, and other people will admire you for being so enlightened, while the SPCA workers in that county deal with the real impact of your actions.

You'll never catch that last 10 to 25% of cats who witness their cousins being trapped. You'll never match their patience, determination and cunning if you even bother to go back and try to manually trap them which I doubt you will. You'll go on to tell people you helped a cat colony, and other people will admire you for being so enlightened, while the SPCA workers in that county deal with the real impact of your actions.
It takes a really low person to say what you just did.

simey, I thought you might like to see a picture of Tripod, who was part of a feral colony and took two years to trap. When he was finally caught, people were concerned about him (he had lost a leg and was a bit beat up) so ended up taking him to a no-kill shelter I worked with. He was very scared and shy and took a ton of work, but patient people were rewarded with the sweetest and most grateful purrs. After two years of working with him, I ended up taking him home, where my foster cat Mamacat decided he was going to be her boyfriend. Tripod lived with me for eight years and died in 2012, and Mamacat died not too long after--I think she just missed him so much. She would definitely thank you for what you're doing (as do I) and what I'm sure will take a lot of patience as you get to all the toughest ones.

I forgot to tell you when we messaged earlier about my avatar, but Fuzzy was an indirect result of TNR. We were helping a restaurant owner in Memphis that had a feral colony, and our first night when we showed up to put the traps out, we noticed a new cat that no one had ever seen. Well, he wasn't exactly feral, as he literally jumped in our car when we opened the door. Once he came home with us, we didn't let him go.

Last edited by a moderator:
simey, I thought you might like to see a picture of Tripod, who was part of a feral colony and took two years to trap. When he was finally caught, people were concerned about him (he had lost a leg and was a bit beat up) so ended up taking him to a no-kill shelter I worked with. He was very scared and shy and took a ton of work, but patient people were rewarded with the sweetest and most grateful purrs. After two years of working with him, I ended up taking him home, where my foster cat Mamacat decided he was going to be her boyfriend. Tripod lived with me for eight years and died in 2012, and Mamacat died not too long after--I think she just missed him so much. She would definitely thank you for what you're doing (as do I) and what I'm sure will take a lot of patience as you get to all the toughest ones.

I forgot to tell you when we messaged earlier about my avatar, but Fuzzy was an indirect result of TNR. We were helping a restaurant owner in Memphis that had a feral colony, and our first night when we showed up to put the traps out, we noticed a new cat that no one had ever seen. Well, he wasn't exactly feral, as he literally jumped in our car when we opened the door. Once he came home with us, we didn't let him go.
That's a great picture of Tripod and Mamacat. Great story too. As for Fuzzy, he knew a good thing when he saw it.

Instead of paypal, couldn't you use http://www.gofundme.com/ and have a link ready for easy donations? I'm not a cat person per se but Mrs. SDS is big into animal rescues (currently have 3 rescue dogs, 3 rescue cats, 5 guinea pigs, 8 mice... if we get 40 days of rain soon, you can blame her)...
I'm sure that would have been easier. I am a rookie fundraiser. I didn't know we didn't have enough funding to do 50 cats until yesterday morning, and there is a good possibility there are a few more than 50. For some reason one of the organizations doing the funding thought there were 25 to 30 cats, but I have always said 50+, and so has the other person who has corresponded with them. Now they realize the 50 number is real. Anyway, I tried to make some website that had a donate button in it, but when I clicked on the the button it showed all of my paypal content. :o I tried to do it over, and again the same thing happened. I got frustrated, and just decided to do it this way.Strangely, I started getting a quote of the day a week ago emailed to me. I don't know if someone signed me up for it or what, but there is one I got last week that I really like, and I'd like share it as a part of my gratitude to those who have showed kindness to me and to these ferals:

Let us be grateful to people who make us happy, they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom.― Marcel Proust

Thanks for being my gardeners.
So $500 for 50 cats this year, but you know all the cats won't be trapped, so they'll continue to breed, and other ferals will be introduced, so this will need to be a yearly effort. Forever. Then consider that this colony will certainly expand into areas where they aren't wanted, and there will be people not as humane as you who strongly object to the cats' presence. It's a simple equation of biology and math that doesn't need much explanation, and sooner or later it leads to mass euthanasia of cats that have invaded an area. It sucks, and honestly it makes me sick to think of all the animals that are euthanized every year, and it leads me to the conclusion that feral colonies need to be aggressively removed rather than merely controlled, as early as possible. Rodent control is a weak argument because surely the monetary cost to an exterminator is much less than the cost of these TNR programs over time, and the cost borne to the cats in the form of disease, suffering and inevitably being euthanized.In a nutshell...Let's try to place generation A in loving homes now, or failing that (because they're feral after all), humanely euthanize them, because generations B, C, D, etc. will be even less adoptable, and their numbers exponentially greater. Let's kill as few animals as possible.

I share your love of animals and admire your efforts here, but I simply disagree that this is an effective and humane method.
You make a solid good argument but one thing I'm missing it how you plan on humanely catching all the ferals to euthanize when you can't catch them all to neuter. Sure you'll have less cats b/c your euthanizing the one's you catch, but you'll still have the same generations with the same number of new cats in each generation. The one's you catch obviously with TNR obviously wouldn't be contributing to any new numbers.

Here's a theory, if say you can only catch 75% and you euthanize those. Now all the the cats that remain are un-neutered and when one of those male cats wants to party and he makes his choice of partners, that's some guaranteed baby making. Now if instead you had released back in the colony those 75% that you caught which are now all neutered, when one of those remaining un-neutered male cats goes to make his choice, the odds he picks an neutered female are greater than him picking an un-neutered female b/c there's a greater number of them thus less babies being made. Whether that neutered female would even accept him I don't know for certain.

Instead of paypal, couldn't you use http://www.gofundme.com/ and have a link ready for easy donations? I'm not a cat person per se but Mrs. SDS is big into animal rescues (currently have 3 rescue dogs, 3 rescue cats, 5 guinea pigs, 8 mice... if we get 40 days of rain soon, you can blame her)...
I'm sure that would have been easier. I am a rookie fundraiser. I didn't know we didn't have enough funding to do 50 cats until yesterday morning, and there is a good possibility there are a few more than 50. For some reason one of the organizations doing the funding thought there were 25 to 30 cats, but I have always said 50+, and so has the other person who has corresponded with them. Now they realize the 50 number is real. Anyway, I tried to make some website that had a donate button in it, but when I clicked on the the button it showed all of my paypal content. :o I tried to do it over, and again the same thing happened. I got frustrated, and just decided to do it this way.Strangely, I started getting a quote of the day a week ago emailed to me. I don't know if someone signed me up for it or what, but there is one I got last week that I really like, and I'd like share it as a part of my gratitude to those who have showed kindness to me and to these ferals:

Let us be grateful to people who make us happy, they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom.― Marcel Proust

Thanks for being my gardeners.
So $500 for 50 cats this year, but you know all the cats won't be trapped, so they'll continue to breed, and other ferals will be introduced, so this will need to be a yearly effort. Forever. Then consider that this colony will certainly expand into areas where they aren't wanted, and there will be people not as humane as you who strongly object to the cats' presence. It's a simple equation of biology and math that doesn't need much explanation, and sooner or later it leads to mass euthanasia of cats that have invaded an area. It sucks, and honestly it makes me sick to think of all the animals that are euthanized every year, and it leads me to the conclusion that feral colonies need to be aggressively removed rather than merely controlled, as early as possible. Rodent control is a weak argument because surely the monetary cost to an exterminator is much less than the cost of these TNR programs over time, and the cost borne to the cats in the form of disease, suffering and inevitably being euthanized.In a nutshell...Let's try to place generation A in loving homes now, or failing that (because they're feral after all), humanely euthanize them, because generations B, C, D, etc. will be even less adoptable, and their numbers exponentially greater. Let's kill as few animals as possible.

You make a solid good argument but one thing I'm missing it how you plan on humanely catching all the ferals to euthanize when you can't catch them all to neuter. Sure you'll have less cats b/c your euthanizing the one's you catch, but you'll still have the same generations with the same number of new cats in each generation. The one's you catch obviously with TNR obviously wouldn't be contributing to any new numbers.

Here's a theory, if say you can only catch 75% and you euthanize those. Now all the the cats that remain are un-neutered and when one of those male cats wants to party and he makes his choice of partners, that's some guaranteed baby making. Now if instead you had released back in the colony those 75% that you caught which are now all neutered, when one of those remaining un-neutered male cats goes to make his choice, the odds he picks an neutered female are greater than him picking an un-neutered female b/c there's a greater number of them thus less babies being made. Whether that neutered female would even accept him I don't know for certain.
Don't you go confusing them with logic!!

You'll never catch that last 10 to 25% of cats who witness their cousins being trapped. You'll never match their patience, determination and cunning if you even bother to go back and try to manually trap them which I doubt you will. You'll go on to tell people you helped a cat colony, and other people will admire you for being so enlightened, while the SPCA workers in that county deal with the real impact of your actions.
If she uses even half the patience that she has shown with you, she will catch any cat that may dodge the traps.

If she uses even half the patience that she has shown with you, she will catch any cat that may dodge the traps.
Great posting. Donation happily sent. Best wishes to the Simey and The Cats (I think I finally found my new bands name)

I know some people REALLY like to hear themselves talk, and they think they're cute. The OP is trying to do something good. A couple of you should really #### and take your BS somewhere else.

I know some people REALLY like to hear themselves talk, and they think they're cute. The OP is trying to do something good. A couple of you should really #### and take your BS somewhere else.
Oh, I don't doubt she has good intentions.

But some of us disagree with what she is proposing to do. You mean the FFA is now not going to allow second opinions?

But some of us disagree with what she is proposing to do. You mean the FFA is now not going to allow second opinions?
she's not asking for opinions, she's asking for donations. If people left don't wanna donate that's cool but there's no reason to post arguments against what shes doing.

She's trying to do something good while some of you sit on your asses and contribute little at all to society. I know you guys saying stuff joking around, but honestly it's not funny, so go back to watching your television programs while you continue to warp your mind.

You're allowed your opinion but don't be an ####### while trampling all over her effort. This is the sort of thread that's not really asking for discussion about the merits. If you disagree with the efficacy of TNR start your own thread but first I'd ask you do a little research instead of having a biased and uniformed opinion.

:lol:

Mewther Theresa up in here

Relax folks... I'm happy Simeon feels she's making some headway against the problem in a humane manner.

You're allowed your opinion but don't be an ####### while trampling all over her effort. This is the sort of thread that's not really asking for discussion about the merits. If you disagree with the efficacy of TNR start your own thread but first I'd ask you do a little research instead of having a biased and uniformed opinion.
Oh, grow up! If she wants to come here and beg for money, she ought to be able to take the heat in the kitchen.

Lol @ 'begging for money'. She politely posted and mentioned that people could donate any amount if they wanted to help. The FFA helps people out in all kinds of ways, and a number of people have already donated. Don't cheapen it because you don't share her views or believe in what she's doing.

Oh, grow up! If she wants to come here and beg for money, she ought to be able to take the heat in the kitchen.
When did she beg? She isn't even the one who bumped the thread today. Why would she even get any heat in the kitchen? All she did was ask if anyone wanted to donate to a cause she is passionate about.

* and what wingnut said

She seemed to handle it quite well, up to and including the part where someone (without any cause) attacked her personally and questioned her motives. (Not you, as you confirmed she had good intentions. Not all were so gracious.)

There are good causes, bad causes, and 'meh' causes. Which one this falls under depends on whether or not you have a cat as your avatar or not, apparently.

I have no dog cat in this fight but I just wanted to point out that apparently I'm an idiot because I had no idea what a feral cat was. Had to look it up. Carry on with your iPissing Match!

DiStefano said:
3C said:
DiStefano said:
3C said:

:lmao:

McGarnicle said:
simey said:
McGarnicle said:
So $500 for 50 cats this year, but you know all the cats won't be trapped, so they'll continue to breed, and other ferals will be introduced, so this will need to be a yearly effort. Forever. Then consider that this colony will certainly expand into areas where they aren't wanted, and there will be people not as humane as you who strongly object to the cats' presence. It's a simple equation of biology and math that doesn't need much explanation, and sooner or later it leads to mass euthanasia of cats that have invaded an area. It sucks, and honestly it makes me sick to think of all the animals that are euthanized every year, and it leads me to the conclusion that feral colonies need to be aggressively removed rather than merely controlled, as early as possible. Rodent control is a weak argument because surely the monetary cost to an exterminator is much less than the cost of these TNR programs over time, and the cost borne to the cats in the form of disease, suffering and inevitably being euthanized.

In a nutshell...Let's try to place generation A in loving homes now, or failing that (because they're feral after all), humanely euthanize them, because generations B, C, D, etc. will be even less adoptable, and their numbers exponentially greater. Let's kill as few animals as possible.

It cost over $2,000 for 50 cats, but some of the funding was already in the Meow Fund, but not enough, and this organization helps other colonies in the county as well. If we don't get them all, I will make every effort to trap the ones that aren't caught. As for stray ferals joining a neutered/spayed colony, once ferals are fixed it is rare for them to allow new ferals into their colony. There are several colonies that have lived in this county for years, and they have not gotten any bigger, and they are in locations where they don't bother anyone. Live and let live. The cats just eventually die off just like us humans do.

I'm not interested in debating you on the value of feral colonies. I don't mean this rudely, but you said your peace on how you feel about feral colonies earlier, so I don't know why you are still going on about it. You aren't interested in contributing to the feral fund, which is fine, so just be on your way. Scram!
:lol: You'll never catch that last 10 to 25% of cats who witness their cousins being trapped. You'll never match their patience, determination and cunning if you even bother to go back and try to manually trap them which I doubt you will. You'll go on to tell people you helped a cat colony, and other people will admire you for being so enlightened, while the SPCA workers in that county deal with the real impact of your actions.
I assume this was meant to be funny... which it isn't. Otherwise, what a ####.

McGarnicle said:
And as far as TNR itself, I question whether it's ever a worthwhile practice. Obviously the animals are invasive if they require human intervention to control their population. They don't normally exist in the wild, so they don't have natural predators.
It's probably only a matter of time before coyotes move into the area.

There are good causes, bad causes, and 'meh' causes. Which one this falls under depends on whether or not you have a cat as your avatar or not, apparently.
You must have selective vision since there are a lot of people in here that don't have a cat avatar that think it's a good cause, including myself.

I sent a small donation.

But I was going to mention there being a guy around here that's pretty good with a lawn mower.

Would that have been in bad taste? :shrug:

I'd contribute for a Shotgun Fund to exterminate the vermin.
I remember when you hit and killed an owl with your car, and it was stuck in your car grill or something like that. You took pictures of it, and then went to an owl website full of owl lovers and purposely antagonized them, and you thought it was funny. You have a mean side to you, dude.

I remember when you hit and killed an owl with your car, and it was stuck in your car grill or something like that. You took pictures of it, and then went to an owl website full of owl lovers and purposely antagonized them, and you thought it was funny. You have a mean side to you, dude.
Impressive notebook.

1) Hitting the owl was complete and total accident. Not sure how you could intentionally hit a bird with a moving vehicle :lol:

2) I didn't antagonize them... I was asking for assistance in identifying it as it was somewhat mangled.

I think people take themselves too seriously sometimes. :shrug: It's life... nobody's getting out alive. Let's shake loose a bit and have some fun with it. Yes some of us think the notion of capturing, spaying, then re-releasing feral cats is a bit silly. However I don't see anyone attacking simey over it... just making jokes about it... just like everything else on this forum. :)

Impressive notebook.

1) Hitting the owl was complete and total accident. Not sure how you could intentionally hit a bird with a moving vehicle :lol:

2) I didn't antagonize them... I was asking for assistance in identifying it as it was somewhat mangled.

I think people take themselves too seriously sometimes. :shrug: It's life... nobody's getting out alive. Let's shake loose a bit and have some fun with it.
I know you didn't hit the owl on purpose, but you loved the fact you were upsetting the people at the owl site. You kept reporting back in the FFA about how upset you were making them, and you made fun of them, and you went back for more. The thought it was funny. I thought it was mean. :shrug:

McGarnicle said:
simey said:
McGarnicle said:

I assume this was meant to be funny... which it isn't. Otherwise, what a ####.
I think were being generous in your assumption.

It takes a really special kind of person to come into someone's thread that's just looking to do a little good in this world and rain all over it.

Wasn't Jayrod the one with a porn addiction? He just really cares about people, if you know what I mean.

(Or was that Jayrok?)

Jayrod may or may not have gotten a 24 hour time out over this whole fiasco.

He apologizes and really is hopped up on hydrocodone, but does think feral cat rescues are a waste of time, however he can understand why someone would think differently however he does enjoy a good ribbing at others expense from time to time and sometimes doesn't know when to stop.

Porkchop Express said:
It takes a really special kind of person to come into someone's thread that's just looking to do a little good in this world and rain all over it.
I think donations to clip and snip Jayrod would get some money, we dont need anymore kids with newspapers on their heads.
:lol:

We're going to need a bigger cage for the trapping.

I love how they can just make him disappear without a trace...I wonder if that's what happened to Malaysian Air 370?

Nobody says more stuff in bad taste and at the wrong time than I do, but can y'all cool it with the shtick here? I know simey and know that this is something she really is invested in.
Some of us think spending this much time, energy and money on a pack of stray cats is in bad taste.
Bad taste? Really? Whose money, energy, & time is being spent? It's a fact that there are feral colonies of cats out there and it's also a fact that there are people who would rather take a more humane approach to keeping that population down. If you think the best method is to use bullets, that's your right I guess. But don't use lame assed jokes to #### on someone's thread who believes different and is actually trying to help the problem.
We can joke about terrorism, the economy, slavery, and religion...

but spaying feral cats is no joking matter, people.

SERIOUS BUSINESS

krista4 said:
I always wondered where your avi came from. Cute cat.

Users who are viewing this thread