What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

HERD's NFL Mock - Candy Canes and Santa edition (2 Viewers)

Pretty bold starting out with Matt Ryan.

I highly doubt it, but it's not beyond possibility.
As of an hour ago, I think Miami trades the pick. Parcells is bound to know they need more then 1 pick to compete.
I just punched your avatar in the face.Who trades up and for whom?

Seriously, who doesn't know that Miami needs more than one pick?

Last edited by a moderator:

As of an hour ago, I think Miami trades the pick. Parcells is bound to know they need more then 1 pick to compete.

Dallas has the ammo. Two firsts, lots of good players... :confused: :mcfadden: Just speculating at the end of the day, but would two firsts this year, and a first in 09 get close? Dallas is one of only a handful of teams that can be competitive for the next couple years without a lot of drafted additions. They need another corner and a WR at some juncture, but Crayton and Hurd have been solid...

I think Atlanta would trade up to number one just to pick Matt Ryan.

PS..I don't want to see Matty Ice in a Dolphins uniform. :football: :lmao:

Dallas has the ammo. Two firsts, lots of good players... :thumbup: :mcfadden: Just speculating at the end of the day, but would two firsts this year, and a first in 09 get close? Dallas is one of only a handful of teams that can be competitive for the next couple years without a lot of drafted additions. They need another corner and a WR at some juncture, but Crayton and Hurd have been solid...
Three firsts and a player or two for Darren McFadden? That doesn't make sense.Especially when the two from this year are going to be quite low.

NYJets Darren McFadden RB UA Sam Baker OT USC
As a Jets fan, that would make me pretty happy.The Oline still needs the work as evidenced by Kendall's departure and the sack exchange that resulted. It's also hurt Jones, so much so that it's tough to see what his true ability andvalue will be to that offense.Which brings me to the McFadden pick - I could roll out the very reasons you point to in the McFadden pick to counter it, Colin, but you already made them. While I would love to see McFadden in Jets uni, I'm not sold they'll go this way. they have invested alot of money in Jones and acquired him to be the feature back. I don't think they right it off that quick - and Washington is a nice compliment to Jones.Now, they coudl just take him as he might be best available at the time - but I could see them also grabbing jake Long here.Just my thought. As much as I loke Baker, Long would probably be a bigger upgrade and the Oline needs it....

Dallas has the ammo. Two firsts, lots of good players... :own3d: :mcfadden: Just speculating at the end of the day, but would two firsts this year, and a first in 09 get close? Dallas is one of only a handful of teams that can be competitive for the next couple years without a lot of drafted additions. They need another corner and a WR at some juncture, but Crayton and Hurd have been solid...
Three firsts and a player or two for Darren McFadden? That doesn't make sense.Especially when the two from this year are going to be quite low.
Considering all of the Dolphins' needs and that they would save a lot of money by paying lower 1st round picks they would be smart to do it. They never do though so it's not really worth thinking about.

Colin, do you think Loadholt projects to LT? Carolina has Gross on the right side and he's not going anywhere.
Yes. Loadholt is HUGE, which the new Carolina QB will appreciate on his blind side.
The only issue I have with this statement is whether or not Loadholt can be as efficient in the ZBS that they have installed in Carolina. He's monstrously athletic and that gives him an edge but, from what i've seen, he simply does not have the footwork to come in and make an immediate impact. One player who can is Sam Baker, who IMHO is the best ZBS Tackle bar none coming out this year. I'm not very high on him at all in a traditional blocking scheme, but he has his merits as a Left Tackle, and has shown nothing but exceptional footwork and athleticism in his assignments. I know the knock on him is that he isn't very strong or big but those aren't strong requisites in the ZBS. With both starting Tackles becoming UFA's this offseason, Carolina will probably look to resign RT Jordan Gross and that will likely require a good chunk of money. Travelle Wharton, who has been steady if unspectacular, gets the shaft at LT and will test the market. The panthers will need a draftee to be able to play at least by midseason because protecting the QB is of paramount importance to the Panthers as it can open up the running game significantly. Because Delhomme is out, teams are loading up the box and STILL the Panthers are averaging more YPG and YPC than their opponents on the ground- a sign that the switch to the ZBS is paying dividends. DeAngelo, Delhomme and Steve Smith are the three most dynamic offensive players they have and to maximize their contribution, they must be able to pass protect and effectively run block. A player of Baker's talent could be the cog that can propel the Panthers to a much better 2008 season.

Dallas has the ammo. Two firsts, lots of good players... :own3d: :mcfadden: Just speculating at the end of the day, but would two firsts this year, and a first in 09 get close? Dallas is one of only a handful of teams that can be competitive for the next couple years without a lot of drafted additions. They need another corner and a WR at some juncture, but Crayton and Hurd have been solid...
Considering all of the Dolphins' needs and that they would save a lot of money by paying lower 1st round picks they would be smart to do it. They never do though so it's not really worth thinking about.
I'm saying it would be dumb for the Cowboys to do.If the 'Fins could get all that from the 'Boys, they should jump on it like a duck on a june bug.

which the new Carolina QB will appreciate on his blind side.
Is this one of those things where you say it often enough that it will become true?
You think Delhomme will be the guy again next year?
Why wouldnt he?
He struggled mightily at the beginning of the year and hasn't played all that well for a couple years.
I wouldnt say he "struggled mightily" at the beginning of the year. He had 1.5 good games before he got hurt. 2 years ago the line was decimated and he was throwing way too soon. What are the Panthers other options if not Jake? Pennington....please no.

Is this one of those things where you say it often enough that it will become true?
Why wouldnt he?
He struggled mightily at the beginning of the year and hasn't played all that well for a couple years.
3 games of 100+ passer rating is "struggling mightily" ?!?

Why wouldnt he?
3 games of 100+ passer rating is "struggling mightily" ?!?
Huh. My mistake. I thought I remembered him starting off poorly. I was wrong.He was hit or miss in 2006.

You really think Clev. takes a RB in the 2nd round? I think they really need defensive help way more than a RB.

I agree that the Giants will target a CB in the first, but I would be pretty disappointed if they select Slaton in the 2nd. Also, last I heard was that Courtney Greene will be returning to school, but if he is projected as a 2nd round pick that could change. It's still up in the air with Rice, and I wouldn't be surprised if he stayed at RU, but he had another great year and a RB's shelf life is shorter than most positions so I can see him leaving school.

cacksman said:
Jonathan Stewart WILL go in the first round. Especially when he puts up sick numbers at the combine and runs in the 4.3s. The kid is huge and has sick speed. He was the Washington State 100m dash champion in high school. Seattle better take him if they have a chance (they wont unless they trade up). Laurinitis might be BPA but linebacker is the least thing Seattle needs. They have 2 pro bowl starters and LeRoy Hill who is also very good.
:goodposting: Agree w/ all of the above. Seattle has one of the best LB corps in the league. Stewart reminds me of guys like Alexander, R.Brown, J.Lewis (in their primes) in the size/speed/srtength/wiggle of each. Probably faster than all 3.

Andy Dufresne said:
Colin Dowling said:
Andy Dufresne said:
Colin Dowling said:
Andy Dufresne said:

Dallas has the ammo. Two firsts, lots of good players... :goodposting: :mcfadden: Just speculating at the end of the day, but would two firsts this year, and a first in 09 get close? Dallas is one of only a handful of teams that can be competitive for the next couple years without a lot of drafted additions. They need another corner and a WR at some juncture, but Crayton and Hurd have been solid...

Which makes Parcells' grin even wider.

Andy Dufresne said:
pantherclub said:
Andy Dufresne said:
BassNBrew said:
Colin Dowling said:
Why wouldnt he?
40-27 as a starter for the cats including playoff games.

Andy Dufresne said:
pantherclub said:
Andy Dufresne said:
BassNBrew said:
Colin Dowling said:
Why wouldnt he?
40-27 as a starter for the cats including playoff games.
I already said I was wrong.I LIKE Jake Delhomme.

Here's an interesting bit of trivia. Since Belichick became head coach of the Patriots in 2000, what position has he drafted for the most with his first 4 picks?

mytagid = Math.floor( Math.random() * 100 );document.write("

Its a TIE.

7 Offensive linemen.

7 Defensive linemen.

He's also selected 4 tight ends in the first 4 picks as well, which help control the line.

You win by controlling the line of scrimmage.

Oddly enough, he's only selected 1 linebacker within his first 4 picks. Justin Rogers last year. He's never picked a LB higher than round 5.

*** SPOILER ALERT! Click this link to display the potential spoiler text in this box. ***");document.close();

16. New Orleans - Frank Okam - DT - UTexas - I realize that I have Okam higher then most, but he is every bit as agile as Dorsey and has better size. Think: Albert Haynesworth or John Henderson. He's a big lane clogger and gets his rangey arms in the way of LOTS of passes. Some will say he went too early; I think 16 is actually a "slip."
They'll grab a DT before LB/S/CB? I don't think so. Hollis "House" Thomas is playing well. Young has been injured some this year but the back-up, Lake, has been doing good work in his stead.

Question about the Patriot selection...what position do you project Long to play with the Pats?

Here's an interesting bit of trivia. Since Belichick became head coach of the Patriots in 2000, what position has he drafted for the most with his first 4 picks?

mytagid = Math.floor( Math.random() * 100 );document.write("

Its a TIE.

7 Offensive linemen.

7 Defensive linemen.

He's also selected 4 tight ends in the first 4 picks as well, which help control the line.

You win by controlling the line of scrimmage.

Oddly enough, he's only selected 1 linebacker within his first 4 picks. Justin Rogers last year. He's never picked a LB higher than round 5.

*** SPOILER ALERT! Click this link to display the potential spoiler text in this box. ***");document.close();
Id guess TE or cornerback.

As a Bills fan I would be so pissed if the Bills just miss out on WR's like D.Jackson and M.Kelly nad then settle for a guy like Earl Bennett. It will remind me of just this year when the Bills settled for Lynch instead of trading up for ADP. I haven't heard much about Bennett. Is there anything you can tell me about him?
Bennett doesn't get much pub because he plays at Vanderbilt, but he broke the career receptions record in the SEC... as a JUNIOR. If he came back next year, he'd pretty much put the record out of reach forever. Coaches voted him 1st team SEC and the writers voted him 2nd team SEC as a freshman. Writers voted him 1st team SEC and coaches voted him 2nd team SEC as a sophomore. He'll likely make some All-SEC teams again this year. He's the only player in SEC history with three 75+ grab seasons. He's done all this at Vanderbilt, which isn't exactly a football powerhouse. He's definitely looked like the goods when I've seen him play- the last time a Vanderbilt player looked this good despite a poor supporting cast was Jay Cutler (who Bennett played with as a freshman).On the mock draft: I will be very surprised if the Broncos go with a WR in the first two rounds, whether they keep Walker around or not. They have Marshall, Stokley, and potentially Walker, which is enough to get them by. Meanwhile, they are paper-thin at safety, LB, and DT, especially if they keep Bates around for another year.

As a Jets fan, I'd rather see Chris Long than Darren McFadden. I think the best scenario would be for the Jets to trade out of the #3 (or wherever they end up) to a team like Dallas for their 2 second rounders plus an additional pick or two, and then move back up to draft Gholston. They still get a stud OLB to rush the passer and can pick up an additional first rounder in the process.

I think Manningham goes a bit earlier than you've got him. No, he's not going to grade out as well as Howard/Terrell/Edwards, but that doesn't mean he won't be a first round pick. I think his age works in his favor (21 on draft day), and he had 1100 receiving yards and 11 TDs in 11 games as a junior. Edwards had 1138/14 in thirteen games as a junior. Terrell, playing as a junior with Henson, had 1000/13 in 11 games.

Manningham's numbers are certainly comparable. While he's not as tall, his production with erratic QB play makes me think he's a first rounder. A good combine could vault him into the top 20; he'd be a steal for the Redskins at 49.

Colin, love the mocks you do. I want to add a couple insights. Denver will without a doubt draft a DT in the 1st round unless they sign two upper class free agents there. I have not seen a team in the last couple of years get blown off the line in the middle like Denver has. Sam Adams was recently cut. This leaves Antwon Burton starting. The 2nd year guy out of Temple isn't even a solid roster guy. 16 tackles. Josh Mallard is a 275 lb DE that is the 3rd DT at both positions. Alvin McKinley (294lbs)is a 8 year guy out of Miss St and deserves to be on the roster as a 2nd backup-8 tackles. That leaves Marcus Thomas with 8 tackles. He is a rookie out of Florida with a ton of baggage. This team NEEDS DTs in the worst way.

Minnesota is interesting because no position screams need. DE would help but we have spent a ton of picks there and Ray Edwards is a good pass rusher. Udeze is getting better and James needs to be healthy. It seems he never will be. LB seems to be set. Our pass defense is much better than the rank but perhaps a better nickel CB would be a good pick in the 1st. Our safeties are experienced and decent but are slow. A better QB would be nice but I think the franchise is going to allow Jackson to be another big mistake.

You have Kenny Iwebema out of Iowa going in the 2nd round. The DE has all the physical tools but never put it together at Iowa. Bryan Mattison, the other DE, is slated as a 1st day pick and will be a very good NFL player. He reminds me og Aaron Kampman at Iowa. He will never be the pass rusher Kampman is but is a 3 down guy. Excellent against the run and good against the pass. He had 5, 6.5, and 9.5 sacks in his 3 years as a starter. One guy you should have in the 2nd round is Charles Godfrey, CB, Iowa. He is the best CB to come through Iowa in over a decade. He will run a 4.33-4.37 at the combine. He will be a decent to good starter in the NFL.

Also in the 2nd round you have Boone going to KC. He is staying for his senior year at OSU. (I think)

EBF said:
Look, I know you're not a Jonathan Stewart fan, but he WILL go in the first round.
:thumbup: No way he doesnt go in the 1st.
Ditto on that. But I have to say, Colin, that I do like this mock a good bit. Here are some comments that I had while perusing it:1.) I'd like to think that if Long slips to #4, then KC takes a shot and attempts to trade up. Too much at stake for them if they cant run the ball effectively. 2.) I still do not think Ryan will be the most effective pro QB- in fact, I believe Woodson will have the best career. Furthermore, I think the Woodson-Leftwich connection is moot at best. You can trace Leftwich's elongated throwing motion back to his marshall days, and you could even argue that his motion got progressively worse in the NFL. Woodson's throwing motion is nowhere as long as Leftwich and he has shown he can be much more mobile and has the strength to shrug off arm-tackles, something Leftwich never could do. I think a more appropriate comparison is Jason Campbell who has a similar throwing motion and arm strength. Campbel may be the better prospect/athlete however. I also don't like Ryan's lack of composure down the stretch but fell in love with Woodson's. I understand that his stats may be overstated by his running Joker Phillips spread offense but i think Woodson was the better QB the second half of the season. He faced some very tough SEC defenses and played well. Ryan simply looked ineffective 2x against Virginia Tech- perhaps the most NFL ready defense in college football (except perhaps LSU).3.) Sedrick Ellis is the perfect pick for Oakland. Houston will be frightening with Calais Campbell on board. Yikes.4.) Connor > Laurinaitis? I respect your guts here but I'd like to hear the reasoning on that. Especially since New Orleans would kill for a stud MLB like Laurinaitis.5.) Streaks? 4/5 picks in a row are DB's, 4/5 picks in a row are tackles? Not saying it couldn't happen but I'd be shocked if it did. 6.) Reggie Smith, Malcolm Kelly and Tyson Jackson in the 2nd? What exactly do you not like about them. (IMO they are top 20 :hophead: )7.) No Michael Oher or Chris Williams (OT-Vandy)? I can see williams slipping but not Oher. Do you think he doesn't come out?

Andre Woodson will make a horrible pro. He takes way too long to make a decision, has no pocket presence and has a slow delivery. There is a reason that the coaches were hesitant to play him. Any team that takes him will regret it.

There's been a lot of good feedback in this thread, so much that I may change some things. It's not like me to make mistakes like the Minny 2 DE picks...

I really like the Ryan pick. Having watched the kid's career I'd put him way ahead of Hasselbeck at this stage of their career. Besides the physical talent Ryan appears to be a real class act who has the full respect of his teammates. He did an excellent job handling the media this year as well. While some dismiss this type of stuff the QB position is becoming more and more about leadership, hard work, intelligence and the ability to be the focal point of the team on and off the field. Obviously legit talent has to be a big part of the equation but when you look at some of the big time QBs now (Brady, Manning, Hasselbeck, Romo, Favre as an example) they all seem to have these qualities. I think Ryan has a chance to be a real good one and in many ways you can tell Ryan has seen Brady's career up close because he often handles himself in a similar manner.

Andre Woodson will make a horrible pro. He takes way too long to make a decision, has no pocket presence and has a slow delivery. There is a reason that the coaches were hesitant to play him. Any team that takes him will regret it.
I disagree with your entire post.

I really like the Ryan pick. Having watched the kid's career I'd put him way ahead of Hasselbeck at this stage of their career.
That means absolutely nothing. Ryan Leaf was way ahead of Hass when both were drafted. It means absolutely nothing.

HOU -- why would Houston draft a TE in the 2nd with Owen Daniel having a good season?
In my earlier bickering, I forgot to address the Houston selections. Most fans get stuck in the idea that the only way to improve your team is to resolve your needs versus strenthen your strenthgs. Both picks, in this mock are take a unit from ok to good to dominate. While I think that the Texans would be bettter served by getting a pure speed pass rusher than Campbell who is more similiar to Mario than not, if C. Campbell is a legitimate pass rusher then the Texans would have three above average pass rushers. The ability to get pressure with the standard DL is huge and will make the back 7 look better than the raw talent suggests.As for Rucker, he would do the same for the offense. Especially if you think the Texans are Denver South, the TE is important in the offense. Rucker would give a 2nd legitimate TE threats to go with an improving WR corps. An argument could be made that neither Daniels nor Rucker are strong blockers, but a line-up of Johnson, Walter, Daniels and Rucker with Jones/Davis as speed guys could prove tough to defend.

I really like the Ryan pick. Having watched the kid's career I'd put him way ahead of Hasselbeck at this stage of their career.
That means absolutely nothing. Ryan Leaf was way ahead of Hass when both were drafted. It means absolutely nothing.
...and if Leaf had half the brain Hass had he might still be in the league so I don't see what sense this example makes.No two players are the same. Yet, I don't see where it's so outlandish to compare and contrast two players who you have seen play pretty much every snap in their college career. IMO Ryan is far more advanced in every phase of the game than Hass was at this point of his career. Does that mean he will go on to be a better pro? No, it doesn't because obviously Hass has far outplayed the expectations many had with him when he came into the league. Yet, as far as being an NFL prospect at this point in their career Ryan has much more upside which is why he'll probably be a top 10 pick. Whether that translates into a productive NFL career obviously remains to be seen and only time will tell but I think it's safe to say that the dreaded "potential" is there.

Colin,

I see you have Desean Jackson fallling into the second round. I've seen him pretty high on other mocks. I'm curious as to why you have him falling to the second. Slight build/injury risk possibly?

29. Green Bay - Cliff Avril - DE - Purdue - Getting some top-flight talent opposite Kampman should pay huge dividends.
Why do you see the Packers going with a DE this early? Before all the injuries, D-line was generally their strongest position (though admittedly DT is stronger than DE). Seems like a bunch of CBs should go in the late 1st....could you see GB taking one there?
31. Green Bay - King Dunlap - OT - Auburn
Don't know much about Dunlap. Why do you see him as a good fit for GB?Thanks for the mock Colin. Great read!!

Ahhh, it's that time of the year again.

Love when the fantasy season winds down and the dynasty and draft threads starts to become more prominent

Maybe we should just stop playing the games and merely project the draft...

Thank you for the good work on the Mock, Colin

i know its a broken record, but the jets cant take a RB. They just cant. I like Baker in the 2nd round though.

Users who are viewing this thread