What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

houston/san diego scoring question (1 Viewer)

Prince Myshkin

Footballguy
I'm sure most of us have seen the terrible attempted punt by the Texans this weekend. How should this play be scored? CBS originally had it scored as a special teams play, then switched it to a defensive fumble recovery for a TD. My league does not allow special teams points of any kind except for fg's and extra points (no return yardage, td's, etc.). Should this play be scored a defensive TD or a special teams TD?

I'm sure most of us have seen the terrible attempted punt by the Texans this weekend. How should this play be scored? CBS originally had it scored as a special teams play, then switched it to a defensive fumble recovery for a TD. My league does not allow special teams points of any kind except for fg's and extra points (no return yardage, td's, etc.). Should this play be scored a defensive TD or a special teams TD?
It depends on your league rules, if you have rules separate from CBS's league rules. Otherwise, it depends on CBS's rules.How do the rules define a special teams play? There was no punt on this play. It was just a snap and a recovery. For all we know, the Texans were going to do a fake punt and throw deep. If they'd done that for a score, would it be considered a special teams play?If I were going to write a set of rules defining what constitutes a special teams play and what doesn't, a special teams play would involve an actual punt, place-kick, drop-kick, or free kick. If there's no kick, it wasn't a special teams play.But I haven't seen CBS's rules, so I don't know how they define things.

Prince Myshkin said:
I guess that's exactly the question I'm asking Maurile...what exactly constitutes a special teams play?
There's no official definition. The words "special teams" don't appear anywhere in the NFL rulebook.So it's up to individual fantasy leagues to define that phrase if they want.IMO, a special teams play is one that involves a free kick or a scrimmage kick. But that's just my opinion -- there's no "official" answer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread