What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Houston Texans 2013 In-season thread (3 Viewers)

Sigh....

Maybe we'll have a high enough draft pick for a franchise QB???

2010 all over again. Disappointed in this team. The entire coaching staff needs to go. I will throw a mini-parade if they finally canned joe Marciano tomorrow morning.
It'll have to be through the draft if we get one. We don't have the cap to try to trade or sign one.

Utter collapse. The looks on the players faces, I think the coaches will have lost this team now. For all those "fans" cheering when Schaub got hurt and when Yates came in, there's your reward: Yates is awful. Shouldn't even be carrying a clipboard, but I'm sure now all the Keenum crazies will be even louder. "Fans" were throwing ice onto the field at Schaub when he was getting his ankle worked on, bunch of heathens. Hopefully we suck enough that those types of people sell their tickets and leave forever. They're a big reason I don't go to games anymore.

If the season ended now we'd be picking around 12 so we do have a shot at an early draft pick and maybe getting a new QB to retool around. We have the 2nd hardest remaining strength of schedule for the rest of the year as well. My guess is the firings start coming if not this week at least after we get thumped by KC next weekend before the bye.

It doesn't look like it matters much who is starting at QB, Kubiak doesn't have the team prepared and his play calling is subpar.

Also there is no way McNair fires anyone before the season is over. We are stuck with what we got for the next 10 weeks.

FF Ninja said:
TheFly06 said:
Sigh....

2010 all over again. Disappointed in this team. The entire coaching staff needs to go. I will throw a mini-parade if they finally canned joe Marciano tomorrow morning.
It'll have to be through the draft if we get one. We don't have the cap to try to trade or sign one.
Cap situation starts to get better next year assuming we clean house and start parting ways with some older guys. You can save $10M by cutting Schaub although that means $7M in dead money in 2015. We can save $2.66M cutting Reed and another $4.5M if they cut Daniels. Daniel Manning I don't think they would cut but you can save $4.5M if you do. Both Manning and Daniels I could see maybe getting extensions to lower their future numbers as an alternative. The big FA's leaving are Tate, Antonio Smith & Wade Smith. There's a club option on Kareen Jackson but my guess is we let him go considering the Def PI he is getting every single game.

Big question I am waiting to see is if they go ahead with an extension with Watt or if they exercise the 5th year option for 2015 and kick that can down the road.

Buckna said:
Utter collapse. The looks on the players faces, I think the coaches will have lost this team now. For all those "fans" cheering when Schaub got hurt and when Yates came in, there's your reward: Yates is awful. Shouldn't even be carrying a clipboard, but I'm sure now all the Keenum crazies will be even louder. "Fans" were throwing ice onto the field at Schaub when he was getting his ankle worked on, bunch of heathens. Hopefully we suck enough that those types of people sell their tickets and leave forever. They're a big reason I don't go to games anymore.

If the season ended now we'd be picking around 12 so we do have a shot at an early draft pick and maybe getting a new QB to retool around. We have the 2nd hardest remaining strength of schedule for the rest of the year as well. My guess is the firings start coming if not this week at least after we get thumped by KC next weekend before the bye.
KC actually looks very beatable. Oakland could've won that game yesterday. I won't be shocked if we win next week.

I hadn't seen/heard about anyone throwing anything on the field. From what I saw at the game, it was only about 10-15% that were cheering the injury, at least in my section. And most of them were the same people who boo whenever they get an opportunity and then grin afterwards like they did something amazingly fun and clever.

I expect Schaub will probably start. I'd honestly be fine if they started Keenum and see what the kid can do. I don't expect him to be better than Yates necessarily, but I think he at least has a higher ceiling. He's had less time in the pro game and in this offense than Yates has, so might be able to grow into something. He does at least have some qualities that Schaub and Yates don't. Whether he can read and react to an NFL defense we still have no clue though.

FF Ninja said:
TheFly06 said:
Sigh....

Cap situation starts to get better next year assuming we clean house and start parting ways with some older guys. You can save $10M by cutting Schaub although that means $7M in dead money in 2015. We can save $2.66M cutting Reed and another $4.5M if they cut Daniels. Daniel Manning I don't think they would cut but you can save $4.5M if you do. Both Manning and Daniels I could see maybe getting extensions to lower their future numbers as an alternative. The big FA's leaving are Tate, Antonio Smith & Wade Smith. There's a club option on Kareen Jackson but my guess is we let him go considering the Def PI he is getting every single game.

Big question I am waiting to see is if they go ahead with an extension with Watt or if they exercise the 5th year option for 2015 and kick that can down the road.
Yeah, that $7M is the number I was thinking of. If we draft a rookie and cut Schaub then that $7M isn't so bad. But if we tried to acquire a decent QB then that $7M would kill us. Very hard to manage a team with $20M tied up in QB. But do we really save $10M next year if we cut him? I think we only have a $4M cap savings, but a lot of dead money.

Is there a cap hit in 2015 when we cut Reed? I wish we'd brought Eric Winston back instead of signing Ed Reed. <_<

Hopefully Tate gets a nice contract and we get a 3rd round compensatory pick. I could see us bringing back Antonio Smith if the price is right.

http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Texans&Year=2014

Sad that this is already a topic after just 6 weeks.

We'll see, KC is not as good as their record indictates. I thought we had a good chance before yesterday but the way we played I'd be surprised if we finish better than 5 or 6 wins.

Based on the article I read last week we can designate Schaub as a June 1st cut and that would split his 10.5M dead money into 3.5 for 2014 & 7M for 2015. Reed was a 3 year contract with a $4M signing bonus. So there's 1.33M additional cap hit next year but you save his base salary of $4M.

You could also just cut Schaub and take the $10.5m hit in 2014 and get it over with right away. If you're replacing him with a rookie who is making less than $4m, you'd still have more money to work with in 2014 than you would have with Schaub on the team.

I hadn't seen/heard about anyone throwing anything on the field. From what I saw at the game, it was only about 10-15% that were cheering the injury, at least in my section. And most of them were the same people who boo whenever they get an opportunity and then grin afterwards like they did something amazingly fun and clever.

I expect Schaub will probably start. I'd honestly be fine if they started Keenum and see what the kid can do. I don't expect him to be better than Yates necessarily, but I think he at least has a higher ceiling. He's had less time in the pro game and in this offense than Yates has, so might be able to grow into something. He does at least have some qualities that Schaub and Yates don't. Whether he can read and react to an NFL defense we still have no clue though.
True, it's always a small minority of idiots that give all fans a bad name. I can remember the chants for Rosenfels back in the day, probably the same people.

The ice throwing was reported by the sideline reporter in game when she was giving an update on Schaub's ankle. She also mentioned Foster & I think Andre were pissed about it.

Hopefully Tate gets a nice contract and we get a 3rd round compensatory pick. I could see us bringing back Antonio Smith if the price is right.
$7.5m per year was a 4th round pick. $4.75m per year was a 5th round pick. So we might be fortunate to get a 4th.

Last edited by a moderator:
They should trade Andre Johnson. He doesn't deserve these losers. They have punished him for his whole career.

They should trade Andre Johnson. He doesn't deserve these losers. They have punished him for his whole career.
Even if they wanted to, they probably couldn't because no team is going to take him with all the deferred bonuses tied to his cap number. The Texans probably still have 2 or 3 years before they can cut him without a major cap hit.

A few somewhat random thoughts.

I'd be fine with firing Kubiak. I don't think it will or should happen yet. But I don't have much faith it will turn around when they get blown out by St. Louis. I'm not in favor of token firings like getting rid of the special teams coach, as Mike Meltzer was advocating on the radio. I think that sends a worse message than doing nothing. It's an obvious token move. I think better moves are making it clear that everyone's job is at stake. Replacing Newton with Harris at RT is an obvious one. Wade Smith has not played great either, maybe give Ben Jones more playing time and see if he can earn the job (though I won't put money on him to).

But I don't often like getting rid of a coach unless you are pretty sure there is someone else you can get who you think will be better. I'm not sure off the top of my head who is out there right now that would be a great candidate. Coordinators would be the guys you'd think would be the most likely to be willing to make the jump. College coaches you can never be sure, and while we might like guys like Cowher, you pretty much have to feel someone like that out before you do the firing. Not saying, don't fire him without a guy already signed, but make sure you have enough quality candidates you think you'll get someone better. Kubiak has a lot of shortcomings that can be improved on (which he doesn't improve on), but he's not a horrible coach. It would be easy to get a replacement who is even worse.

There is also the Wade Phillips issue. Does he stay if you want to look elsewhere for a head coach? Does he leave, upset he didn't get the job? Do you want him as your head coach? Does having him here help or hinder finding a replacement coach? I'm not sure the answers to any of those, other than that I'm not sure I want him as the head coach either. I could easily see him getting the job though, just based on the kind of guy Bob McNair is.

On Rick Smith, given the state of the roster itself I don't see any direct reason he should be fired. But I do have a fear in that regards. The building of the Texans roster started when Kubiak had control of the personnel decisions. Casserly was a lame duck who just hadn't received his pink slip yet because they didn't want other teams to be able to bring him in as a consultant to reveal the team's plans going into the draft. That was the draft where we got Mario, Demeco, Winston, and Owen Daniels. Rick Smith took over post draft, and I think the team has continued to be one of the top drafting teams in the league since. But my concern is this... we know Kubiak hit that first draft out of the park without Smith. Has the success since then been due to Rick Smith and how he runs the front office and the scouts he's assembled? Or has it been Kubiak and his staff making great evaluations within which Smith works? I have no idea. Barring it having really been Kubiak behind the good drafts though, I'd stick with Smith.

$7.5m per year was a 4th round pick. $4.75m per year was a 5th round pick. So we might be fortunate to get a 4th.
Yeah, I didn't know the compensatory structure. I was hoping starting RB pay would be enough, but given those numbers I think a 5th is about all we can hope for. Reggie Bush is getting paid $4mil/year. Tate is younger so he might be able to pull off $5m/yr but I wouldn't be the least bit shocked if it was less than $4.75m.

No reason to trade Andre when he'll only be 33 next year. The best thing you could give a young new QB next year would be a dependable target like Andre. Look at Reggie Wayne with Luck.

Plus it's mostly impossible from a cap standpoint until you get to 2015.

Danieal Manning possibly out 6-8 weeks. Or not.

Jerome Solomon of the Houston Chronicle reported that Manning would miss six to eight weeks because of a hairline fracture in his fibula, which might need surgery.

Normally, that’s definitive, but Manning himself said he wasn’t sure that was the case — at least not yet.

The veteran safety told Tania Ganguli of ESPN.com that he hadn’t even received all the test results yet. He said an MRI showed no ligaments were torn, but that he was still awaiting word on results of a CT scan, which would show any structural issues with the bones.

Geez, what a season. Yet, I still think the Chiefs are ripe for the pickin' come Sunday.

As far as firings, I hope they don't. Nothing puts a team into freefall quicker than in-season coach firings. Everyone knows it's a throw in at that point. Based on Wade's time in Dallas (and pretty much everywhere), I would fear a promotion to HC for him should Kubiak get fired.

Shaub was holding his own yesterday. I really think the play calling needs ramped up some and the defense, as good as it is statistically, needs some impact. There needs to be some fear of God put into these opposing offenses that never seem uncomfortable running any portion of their game. There needs to be some disruptive forces in there somewhere.

I would agree, I think Rick Smith is safe but there is the worry that a lot of his success may be due to players fitting into Kubiak's scheme.

I won't be happy if Wade gets the job. Lost in the criticism of Schaub & the offense is the fact the defense is not playing poorly, they are playing badly. We may be #1 against the pass but that is because no one needs to pass against us. If you subtract out the pick sixes, we are still in the bottom 3rd in the league in scoring defense and tied for 3rd to last in takeaways. We are dead last in redzone defense allowing a TD 76% of the time.

Sure the pick 6's, special teams mistakes and the offense unable to score points puts strain on them, but the offense didn't give up 24 points to Sam freaking Bradford in the first 2 qtrs and 5mins into the 3rd yesterday.

McNair won't fire Kubiak mid-season, it is not his MO.

I agree that Kubiak should go because there is enough evidence that while he is a decent coach, he is definitely not a big game coach who will help his team win the big games to get to the super bowl.

The big problem for the Texans is if McNair fires Kubiak, what does he do with Phillips? McNair is friends with the whole Phillips family and he was supposedly instrumental in getting Kubiak to hire Wade. Does McNair promote Wade to head coach? If he does then the Texans have the same situation they had with Kubiak: a decent head coach who can't win the big game who is probably better off as a coordinator.

I hope McNair is a smart enough man that if he does fire Kubiak, he goes outside the current team to find the next head coach. And if Joe Marcianno keeps his job, then he must have pictures of McNair in a compromising situation. How that man has lasted this long as Texans special teams coach I have no idea.

So the official end of the Schaub era? Case Keenum will start Sunday vs the Chiefs. While I prefer Keenum over Yates, this kinda feels like Kubes is throwing Case to the wolves. Extremely tough matchup on the road vs a tough defense. I hope hope hope he plays well. I doubt he's the future QB of the franchise, but I would love it if he could turn into a reliable backup QB. I hope he plays well enough to stick around, but not so great that he saves Kubiaks job. In the end, Gary is the ultimate problem. His flaws never went away, just masked by Wade Phillips and Peyton Mannings departure from the AFC South.

Danieal Manning and AJ Bouye out for the season with leg injuries.

Case played well. I can't say this week that it was one particular player or incident that got us beat. The fact is Kansas City is just a better team than we are right now. We missed Foster badly in the redzone.

Kubiak should've had another true RB active. If Foster had legit hamstring problems this week, and with Tate's violent running style, it was foolish to only keep 2 active. And a heavy rushing attack was needed to win today, so why not have an extra horse ready?

Joe Marciano had a big hand in this loss. He needs to be left in KC. But nothing will change there.

Cushing going down just plain sux. No words. I don't label him "injury prone." Last years hit on his knee was dirty. Charles low block today looked like a block that probably happens multiple times in every game. Not dirty.

Kubiaks job can't be saved. It SHOULDNT be saved. He needs to go. Why did they get away from Posey? He looked fantastic with his one big grab. I know he's recovering from the Achilles...but why have him active then if you aren't gonna use him more???

Keenum, while he folded some down the stretch, looked really really good at points. Never seemed to get too rattled. He couldn't feel the pressure late in the game, but you expect that from a young QB making his first ever start in a tough tough environment. He deserves to play the rest of the games. I hope he does great, but it shouldn't be enough to save Kubiak. Let Case stick around to maybe be the starter next year while we draft a QB in round 1 or 2. Or let Case be the backup to our future drafted QB.

Fire Kubiak. Fire Marciano.

I really wanted the texans to win for Bum :(

I don't think they should fire Kubiak before the season is over. It won't serve any positive purpose. No objection to him being fired then, but I wouldn't expect anything until the end of the year.

I was at least happily surprised he didn't go as conservative as I thought he would with Keenum in there. I was expecting play calling more like what Yates got in Indy 2 years ago.

I don't think they should fire Kubiak before the season is over. It won't serve any positive purpose. No objection to him being fired then, but I wouldn't expect anything until the end of the year.

I was at least happily surprised he didn't go as conservative as I thought he would with Keenum in there. I was expecting play calling more like what Yates got in Indy 2 years ago.
I think the line of thinking with Kubiak's playcalling is "what do we have to lose?" That team was clearly in the driver's seat for the division title and potential first round bye. No reason to try and lose any games.

This team clearly has nothing to lose at 2-4 going into today, now 2-5. The window is closing, and some would say that window was locked and shuttered sometime ago. There's no reason not to take risks. I was actually glad this game was on the road too, because it would allow the offense to take gambles that might not otherwise do for the whole aspect of "let's not lose the crowd" mentality.

I'm still optimistic. If the Colts lose tonight, then it's just two games out with two meetings against Indy. If we go three games down, then forget all this because that's one tough mountain to climb.

Oy. Before the Texans game, I was rooting for Luck. Now I gotta root for waterhead.... :(

Case played well. I can't say this week that it was one particular player or incident that got us beat. The fact is Kansas City is just a better team than we are right now. We missed Foster badly in the redzone.
I can blame it on the offensive line. The pass blocking was awful as usual, but now they couldnt open any running lanes either. They didn't give Keenum much time to make anything happen.

Keenum showed well in the worst of conditions. He deserves to continue his audition so we know how badly we will need a new QB next year. With the Colts beating Denver, Houston's season is effectively over. Keenum and the other young guys need to get on the field so we know what we have. I would like to see Wood active and getting carries. Tate is going to be gone next year, we need to know if Wood can be a #2.

What the heck man?!

"Texans waive 3rd round draft pick Sam Montgomery, Willie Jefferson and Cierre Wood after unspecified violation of team rules in KC."

I know these 3 dudes didn't get any playing time this year, but with the season all but over, thy probably would've gotten a chance to show what they could do. Cierre Wood especially. He had a chance to be the #2 RB next season if we keep the zone blocking scheme. Jefferson showed some potential for a converted WR playing LB. Montgomery was a bad pick from the start. I guess there's a reason the Texans never draft guys with character issues. Rick Smith whiffed on most of the 2013 draft and it could cost us as far as player development is concerned. Only players worth anything from this draft is Hopkins, maybe Swearinger and maybe Ryan Griffen. Brennan Williams, Alan Bonner, Trevardo Williams and David Quessenbury all got hurt. So disappointed. Maybe whatever rules the 3 knuckleheads broke is what kept Wood from being active yesterday? Surely Kubiak wasnt so dumb that he only kept 2 RB active on purpose, especially with Fosters hamstring issue....ugh.

2013 for the Texans can't be over soon enough.

Sounds like they were believed to have been abusing drugs.

Houston (CBS Houston) – A source close to Willie Jefferson has told SportsRadio 610 that no substances were ever found in regards to Jefferson’s dismissal from the team.

According to the source, Jefferson and at least one other player were smoking cigars in a hotel bathroom. No one ever entered the room or searched the room and no substances were ever found. The players were then called down to meet with team officials who told Jefferson they ‘knew what he had been doing’, insinuating he had been using a substance. At that point the players were sent home from Kansas City.

Jefferson has had past issues with substance abuse while he was enrolled at Baylor.
Edit to add: Huh, looks like CBS pulled the story I cut and pasted that from.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jay Glazer saying Cushing texted him that he has a torn LCL and a broken leg.
<_<

Keenum showed well in the worst of conditions. He deserves to continue his audition so we know how badly we will need a new QB next year. With the Colts beating Denver, Houston's season is effectively over. Keenum and the other young guys need to get on the field so we know what we have. I would like to see Wood active and getting carries. Tate is going to be gone next year, we need to know if Wood can be a #2.
I like Case. He showed a lot of poise and moxie. He made decisions very quickly, seemed sure of himself on his throws, had a lot of zip on his passes, and he had a clear willingness to make some risky throws, such as his across the body throw in the first quarter. He seems to trust his guys to go up for the ball and make a play, which is nice when it doesn't result in an interception. :)

I don't recall many deep passes off the top of my head, but he looked to have a little Favre in him.

That being said, I'm not too sure the fans would be satisfied with Case. Seems like the fan base generally feels Smith and company almost ignore the quarterback position. Our starter for the last few years was just another team's backup. The quarterbacks we draft are done so with no intention of ever really challenging Schaub or preparing for the future. And yesterday, we started an undrafted free agent. Unless Keenum gets this team 8+ wins while playing lights out football to close the season, I think people are going to be clamoring for the front office to draft a "franchise quarterback" in the first round simply because that's where they are usually found.

Those three stooges sound like teenagers. "Oh ya we were only smoking cigars, honest!" I highly doubt the team made that mistake.

Those in touch with Gary Kubiak's family said Monday morning that the Houston Texans coach is "feeling good" after he collapsed at halftime of his team's game against the Indianapolis Colts on Sunday night.

Kubiak, who has been at a Houston hospital since Sunday night, was treated with an IV medicine -- tissue plasminogen activator (tPA) -- designed to break up blood clots, per medical sources.

Doctors are conducting tests Monday to determine whether he could have suffered a stroke.

The Texans are uncertain when Kubiak, the team's coach since 2006, will return. They said in a statement released Monday that the coach will remain in the hospital for at least the next 24 hours.

"Our primary concern is of course with Gary's health and well-being," Texans general manager Rick Smith said in the statement. "There have been so many people throughout the city and across the country that have reached out to express their love and support, and we are thankful for everyone's thoughts and prayers. Gary is alert, coherent and in good spirits. He is continuing to be evaluated and monitored."

The 52-year-old Kubiak fell to his knees and grimaced when he collapsed, but he never lost consciousness.

Kubiak lay on the ground for several minutes and was surrounded by medical personnel, including Texans head trainer Geoff Kaplan. After a few minutes, Kubiak sat up and spoke with those surrounding him before eventually being strapped to a stretcher and taken off the field.

Defensive coordinator Wade Phillips took over in the interim. Houston led the Colts 21-3 at halftime but wound up losing 27-24.

Those in touch with Gary Kubiak's family said Monday morning that the Houston Texans coach is "feeling good" after he collapsed at halftime of his team's game against the Indianapolis Colts on Sunday night.

Kubiak, who has been at a Houston hospital since Sunday night, was treated with an IV medicine -- tissue plasminogen activator (tPA) -- designed to break up blood clots, per medical sources.

Doctors are conducting tests Monday to determine whether he could have suffered a stroke.

The Texans are uncertain when Kubiak, the team's coach since 2006, will return. They said in a statement released Monday that the coach will remain in the hospital for at least the next 24 hours.

"Our primary concern is of course with Gary's health and well-being," Texans general manager Rick Smith said in the statement. "There have been so many people throughout the city and across the country that have reached out to express their love and support, and we are thankful for everyone's thoughts and prayers. Gary is alert, coherent and in good spirits. He is continuing to be evaluated and monitored."

The 52-year-old Kubiak fell to his knees and grimaced when he collapsed, but he never lost consciousness.

Kubiak lay on the ground for several minutes and was surrounded by medical personnel, including Texans head trainer Geoff Kaplan. After a few minutes, Kubiak sat up and spoke with those surrounding him before eventually being strapped to a stretcher and taken off the field.

Defensive coordinator Wade Phillips took over in the interim. Houston led the Colts 21-3 at halftime but wound up losing 27-24.
I hope they keep telling him the Texans won 34-10. If he finds out they lost that game, he might really have a heart attack

Not to be a d***, but I thought with Kubes not present that we might score some points in the second half. Apparently he has the subordinates well trained.

Wishing the best for Kubiak and his family.

Obviously it's far down the totem pole in importance but who will call the plays if Kubiak misses a game?

Wishing the best for Kubiak and his family.

Obviously it's far down the totem pole in importance but who will call the plays if Kubiak misses a game?
OC Rick Dennison. He called them during the second half Sunday night, with Wade Phillips assuming his usual role calling the defensive plays.

Wow, we said early on (week 1 or 2) that this K would eventually blow a game and couldn't understand why the Texans were looking elsewhere. Kickers are a dime a dozen. I can understand Schaub but a f'n Kicker? He was lucky the Texans weren't in any close ones before. Wow, this team is so poorly managed.

33 yarder at Washington....yanked left. The last we saw of him was the next day balling after he got cut. Ushered in the Al Del Greco era. All part of the turmOilers legendary history...good times (not really...still love those teams but they were heartbreakers)

Perhaps that's why I don't always play video games, but when I do, I prefer Tecmo Bowl (as to exact revenge with my turmOilers, with a Dos Equis)

33 yarder at Washington....yanked left. The last we saw of him was the next day balling after he got cut. Ushered in the Al Del Greco era. All part of the turmOilers legendary history...good times (not really...still love those teams but they were heartbreakers)

Perhaps that's why I don't always play video games, but when I do, I prefer Tecmo Bowl (as to exact revenge with my turmOilers, with a Dos Equis)
still looking for that video clip on youtube.....

did you guys read Bullock's comments? this guy just doesn't get it. This quote definitely gave me a chuckle:

“Coach Marciano came by and told me to keep my head up and that I was going to be playing in this league for a long time,” he said. “I think I’ll be fine."

Users who are viewing this thread