What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Houston Texans 2013 In-season thread (1 Viewer)

33 yarder at Washington....yanked left. The last we saw of him was the next day balling after he got cut. Ushered in the Al Del Greco era. All part of the turmOilers legendary history...good times (not really...still love those teams but they were heartbreakers)

Perhaps that's why I don't always play video games, but when I do, I prefer Tecmo Bowl (as to exact revenge with my turmOilers, with a Dos Equis)
still looking for that video clip on youtube.....

did you guys read Bullock's comments? this guy just doesn't get it. This quote definitely gave me a chuckle:

“Coach Marciano came by and told me to keep my head up and that I was going to be playing in this league for a long time,” he said. “I think I’ll be fine."
He may be playing in the league as long as Marciano is coaching in this league, which is to say, not very long based on how both are performing.

33 yarder at Washington....yanked left. The last we saw of him was the next day balling after he got cut. Ushered in the Al Del Greco era. All part of the turmOilers legendary history...good times (not really...still love those teams but they were heartbreakers)

Perhaps that's why I don't always play video games, but when I do, I prefer Tecmo Bowl (as to exact revenge with my turmOilers, with a Dos Equis)
still looking for that video clip on youtube.....

did you guys read Bullock's comments? this guy just doesn't get it. This quote definitely gave me a chuckle:

“Coach Marciano came by and told me to keep my head up and that I was going to be playing in this league for a long time,” he said. “I think I’ll be fine."
He may be playing in the league as long as Marciano is coaching in this league, which is to say, not very long based on how both are performing.
That was kind of my original point. Kicker and Special Teams coach should've been gone long ago. Years and years of finishing close to last on Special Teams shouldn't mean job security but it has been in Marciano's case. I'm looking forward to rebuilding and saying goodbye to the Kubiak era.

Marciano has been with the team before even Kubiak, which just boggles the mind. Lets see, Jacoby Jones, fumbled all the time and danced sideways, Trindon Holliday fumbled all the time and danced sideways, Martin fumbles and dances sideways. Jones and Holliday now lighting it up on other teams. Anyone else see the common problem?

Marciano has been with the team before even Kubiak, which just boggles the mind. Lets see, Jacoby Jones, fumbled all the time and danced sideways, Trindon Holliday fumbled all the time and danced sideways, Martin fumbles and dances sideways. Jones and Holliday now lighting it up on other teams. Anyone else see the common problem?
everyone but the loyal to a fault mgmt team. Time to clean house and let AJ80 have a chance at a ring. Too much talent on this team to not make a serious run with a serious coaching staff.

Id love to see a regime that gets rid of people for underperforming much quicker than this one does...loyalty is great but there comes a time youve got to see the forest for the trees and realize somebody just isnt good at their job. Marciano is not good. Schaub is not good. Derek Newton is not good. Bullock is not good. Nothing personal fellas but you gotta go.....jeez

Id love to see a regime that gets rid of people for underperforming much quicker than this one does...loyalty is great but there comes a time youve got to see the forest for the trees and realize somebody just isnt good at their job. Marciano is not good. Schaub is not good. Derek Newton is not good. Bullock is not good. Nothing personal fellas but you gotta go.....jeez
Unfortunately, this was all apparent several years ago but loyalty > talent in Texans organization #smdh

Last edited by a moderator:
Gary Kubiak had a "mini-stroke", had a friend tell me today who's wife had 1 of these around the same age as Kubiak, said there is no way he can coach again this season.

Do we have any updates n the coach? I have more info but I wanted see if anyone else had much info, thanks.

Mini-stroke is what was reported. I have a friend who's wife went thru this and it took her the better part of a year to get back. She did things like put the dishes in the wrong cabinets from where they had stored them the prior 20 years, she really couldn't remember. He was very matter of fact that he felt no way Kubiak coaches again this season.

Mini-stroke is a loss of blood to the brain/head and that seems exactly what happened to Kubiak grabbing his head, wincing the eyes, shutting them or squeezing them and not wanting to open them, he was in a lot of pain it would seem and then collapsed.

Now the good news is he got treatment within seconds of this happening, was on a gurney and wheeled out in an ambulance very fast and rushed to the hospital. Time is crucial in these things and he minimized his long term impact. But the idea he might be back in a week or two seems preposterous not that I read that anywhere.

Godspeed Gary

they should give Harvard Rugland a shot. At least, he'll make things interesting during a rebuild season.

Mini-stroke is what was reported. I have a friend who's wife went thru this and it took her the better part of a year to get back. She did things like put the dishes in the wrong cabinets from where they had stored them the prior 20 years, she really couldn't remember. He was very matter of fact that he felt no way Kubiak coaches again this season.

Mini-stroke is a loss of blood to the brain/head and that seems exactly what happened to Kubiak grabbing his head, wincing the eyes, shutting them or squeezing them and not wanting to open them, he was in a lot of pain it would seem and then collapsed.

Now the good news is he got treatment within seconds of this happening, was on a gurney and wheeled out in an ambulance very fast and rushed to the hospital. Time is crucial in these things and he minimized his long term impact. But the idea he might be back in a week or two seems preposterous not that I read that anywhere.

Godspeed Gary
your point about getting immediate medical attention is a good one and should help him immensely. Think about how long it would take most of us to get medical attention if we had the same thing happen to us at our workplace. Gary works in a profession where he literally had medical help within 20 seconds of the event happening.

what immediate medical attention did he even get though? i don't think they actually did anything for him on the field, and the trip to the hospital was called 'precautionary' at the time.

They are sticking with Fat Bullock :doh: :bs:
Think Kris Brown missing a game-winning kick at San Francisco...last game of the season in 2005. Both the Texans and 49ers had a terrible record that year. I think it was dubbed "The Bush Bowl" because the loser of that game would "win" the chance to draft #1 over all and pick Reggie Bush in the draft. The texans had a chance to tie or win at the end of that game and Kris Brown obviously missed that kick on purpose (this was before HE became snake bit in like 2009 and started to decline). My point is now that the season is over as far as playoffs go, why dump the 5th round pick they invested in for an old kicker who won't be a part of your future. Rick Smith isn't gonna admit to making that blunder of a pick just yet. Fat Randy Bullock has an important job now: to help us not win games so we can improve our draft spot. Sad, but true.

I would just like accountability. When Ben Tate fumbles, Kubiak benches him. Schaub throws 4 pick6s and doesn't get benched, the Special Teams coach is Special Ed, and our kicker sucks. Yet they are still employed.

I would just like accountability. When Ben Tate fumbles, Kubiak benches him. Schaub throws 4 pick6s and doesn't get benched, the Special Teams coach is Special Ed, and our kicker sucks. Yet they are still employed.
Totally agree. The texans are run like a family, not a business. And that's why too many bad coaches and players get to stick around for way too long. Even Matt Millen or Cam Cameron or Raheem Morris would've fired Joe Marciano after the multiple years of special teams suckitude. But Gary and Bob McNair like Joe, so he stays. Freaking ridiculous.It's crazy how you bring up Tate always getting out in the doghouse yet everybody else gets multiple chances. Out of everybody you listed above, coaches and players, Tate is the one that's for sure gonna be gone after this season. He's gonna go to a team that believes in him and will give him a chance to carry the load and even keep the load if he fumbles occasionally. I'm not so sure Marciano DOESNT get fired after this year. I mean, if it hasn't happened by now, especially in a season where you were supposed to be a SB contender, then when will it ever happen? I know this sounds harsh, but I hope Gary and Marciano retire after this year. If Bob doesn't want to be mean and fire them for their failures, then how about we fluff it up and give them a happy ride off into the sunset.

And no, Wade Phillips is not the answer. He shouldn't be the next head coach. Watching him take the podium after the colts game was very unsettling. Doesn't help that the lighting was dim, making the whole scene even more ominous haha.

what immediate medical attention did he even get though? i don't think they actually did anything for him on the field, and the trip to the hospital was called 'precautionary' at the time.
He had medical staff on him in seconds, my late grandmother had a stroke while driving a car at age 62. She didn't get help back in 1985 for quite some time off a bridge in Charleston, WV. She suffered paralysis on the entire right side of her body from the neck down. She was in a wheelchair for the next 18 years, she died at the age of 80. Had she had someone right there to get her in an ambulance she might have avoided some of that. She had a full on stroke, several mini-strokes after, it's amazing her mind was as well as it was considering all that.

He had people attending to him quickly, to be able to get out of the hospital within a couple days is nothing short of a miracle. Kubiak is likely done being a HC for now in the NFL but I hope one day he can be an OC again. My heart goes out to him and his family, feel terrible for the Houston fan base as well. I cannot imagine he makes it back on the field this year, team is 2-6, Wade Phillips show for the rest of the season.

No surprise that Wade Phillips is the interim head coach for however long Kubiak should be out.

Given this, one might think the Texans turning it around would increase the chances of Wade taking over as head coach should Kubiak be out. And continuing to lose might hurt his chances. Though I wouldn't say, "if they keep losing he is out of any consideration in McNair's mind." If McNair likes him, he'd probably consider him.

Ministry of Pain said:
He had medical staff on him in seconds, my late grandmother had a stroke while driving a car at age 62. She didn't get help back in 1985 for quite some time off a bridge in Charleston, WV. She suffered paralysis on the entire right side of her body from the neck down. She was in a wheelchair for the next 18 years, she died at the age of 80. Had she had someone right there to get her in an ambulance she might have avoided some of that. She had a full on stroke, several mini-strokes after, it's amazing her mind was as well as it was considering all that.

He had people attending to him quickly, to be able to get out of the hospital within a couple days is nothing short of a miracle. Kubiak is likely done being a HC for now in the NFL but I hope one day he can be an OC again. My heart goes out to him and his family, feel terrible for the Houston fan base as well. I cannot imagine he makes it back on the field this year, team is 2-6, Wade Phillips show for the rest of the season.
I'm not arguing with your personal experience, and i am not any kind of medical expert... but half a dozen people huddling around you, while technically qualifying as attention from medical personnel, probably not what is normally meant by medical attention; treatment for the condition is what you mean. And as far as i could tell there seemed to be no on-field treatment. while quick research into strokes reveals that the sooner you can get the patient treated in a hospital, the better, but based on the characterization of the hospital trip as being merely precautionary in nature, it seems like treatment of the immediate problem wasn't the goal of the hospital visit. this implies that the stroke had passed by the time the ambulance arrived. Based on all of this we can at least hope that the 'mini-stroke' is of a more minor degree, which (again, not a medical expert) makes me think that reports indicating Kubiak will not be medically able to be HC are overblown/premature.

This team could be in trouble the rest odf the way, but they have found their QB of the future. Case Keenum will have a great career

This team could be in trouble the rest odf the way, but they have found their QB of the future. Case Keenum will have a great career
Really? You are ready to hitch the team's wagon to him for the next 5-6 years? Isn't this what happened with Matt Schaub having a couple big games in Atlanta. I would like to see Houston go into the draft and take a QB to develop for the long haul. What do you see as CK's ceiling? Is he a top 10 QB in the NFL, ready to lead this team deep into the playoffs?

I like him don't get me wrong but we confuse a guy having a few good games as a potential franchise QB. Would you put any of the Indy comeback on Ck's shoulders in the 4th? Just asking.

I want to see him for the rest of the season before passing judgement. The kid is using heart and guts to overcome his physical shortcomings that you look for in a franchise QB. These Doug Floutie and Drew Brees types pop up every decade or so. I will hope he's one of those exceptions to the rule.

Too early to annoint...personally Id like a high draft pick QB anyway. This is a good draft for it and these guys can battle it out for a while. Competition might provide a better end result and you could potentially have a trade chip with one of em down the line....that way youve got a better chance of getting the most important piece of the franchise right

Houston turmOiler said:
Too early to annoint...personally Id like a high draft pick QB anyway. This is a good draft for it and these guys can battle it out for a while. Competition might provide a better end result and you could potentially have a trade chip with one of em down the line....that way youve got a better chance of getting the most important piece of the franchise right
Not sure I trust the powers that be to draft a franchise QB given their horrific past.

Do we REALLY expect Kubs to be fired? Especially now that he's returning from his health scare? I don't believe that Mr. McNair will pink slip him. If Gary was still throwing Schaub out there and we were still getting blown out, then yes, he'd be fired. But I (sadly) think that Keenum has already saved Gary's job and made it look like it was Schaubs fault for blowing those ravens through rams games. Bob will give em all ONE MORE CHANCE and wanna see what Gary can do with Case for a full 16 games. If Case continues to impress, I believe they WONT select a QB in the 1st two rounds. Not saying I agree with that, but it's how I see it going down. The team has too many holes to fill to select a QB in rounds 1 and 2. Right tackle, inside and outside linebacker. Possibly corner and safety. Another dline man if Antonio goes. Geez. Our depth isn't nearly what I thought it was.

Do we REALLY expect Kubs to be fired? Especially now that he's returning from his health scare? I don't believe that Mr. McNair will pink slip him. If Gary was still throwing Schaub out there and we were still getting blown out, then yes, he'd be fired. But I (sadly) think that Keenum has already saved Gary's job and made it look like it was Schaubs fault for blowing those ravens through rams games. Bob will give em all ONE MORE CHANCE and wanna see what Gary can do with Case for a full 16 games. If Case continues to impress, I believe they WONT select a QB in the 1st two rounds. Not saying I agree with that, but it's how I see it going down. The team has too many holes to fill to select a QB in rounds 1 and 2. Right tackle, inside and outside linebacker. Possibly corner and safety. Another dline man if Antonio goes. Geez. Our depth isn't nearly what I thought it was.
It WAS Schaub's fault, and by extension, Kubiak's for continuing to trot him out there. You are probably right that McNair will not can him, which means at least one more year of disappointment, and another year of wasting Andre's career.

So what are you guys expecting Sunday? I wouldnt be surprised with an uninspired lackluster performance after last weeks uninspired loss...of course the wild card is Case, we pretty much know how they would have responded in the past with Schaub

So what are you guys expecting Sunday? I wouldnt be surprised with an uninspired lackluster performance after last weeks uninspired loss...of course the wild card is Case, we pretty much know how they would have responded in the past with Schaub
This team doesn't deserve to be picked to win UNTIL they show they can snap this losing streak. They find ways to lose. They continue to get outcoached. They make crucial mistakes in big spots. They get too conservative when momentum is swinging towards the other team. Case is playing some inspiring football, FAR better than i ever imagined was possible. Our defense SHOULD get to Palmer somewhat. But I think the difference maker will be Patrick Peterson SLAUGHTERING Joe Marciano's special teams coverage. Let's hope Lechler won't kick to him.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9965883/houston-texans-release-ed-reed

Texans to cut Ed Reed
Updated: November 12, 2013, 1:02 PM ET
ESPN.com news servicesThe Houston Texans are releasing safety Ed Reed on Tuesday, a source confirmed to ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

The news had been earlier reported by The Houston Chronicle and KRIV-TV.

Reed, who was the Texans' prize acquisition of the offseason, said Sunday night after Houston's loss to the Arizona Cardinals that the Texans had been outcoached.

Asked Monday about Reed's criticism, interim coach Wade Phillips said: "Everyone has an opinion. I'll keep mine in house."

Reed seemed to acknowledge his release in a tweet on Tuesday.

Salary implications, and what happens if another team claims him:

Reed pocketed a $2 million signing bonus, a $2 million guaranteed salary advance, and a $1 million guaranteed salary for 2013. (He also picked up another $437,500 in per-game roster bonuses.)

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 8m

On Reed’s salary: Claiming team owes him $411K. He got $2M in advance pay off ’13 base. Claiming team also owes Texans 7/17 of it: $820K.

Ed Reed stole that money. The Ravens were his accomplice, pretending that they had any interest in bringing him back, and helping drive up his price.

You can do stuff like get an unannounced off-season surgery and bad mouth the team and coaches if you have a Hall of Fame career to back you up. But not when you're an underperforming guy off the street.

I really never understood why Houston signed him. He will absolutely clear waivers, and then it will be interesting to see who gives him a sniff. Believe me, it won't be New England, no matter how much Belichick supposedly loves him. It's clear to anyone who's watched him play at all over the last two seasons that he is absolutely done. So maybe ... Dallas or Washington? Can't think of anyone else stupid enough.

Ed Reed sucks...used to really like him but the whole hip deal and what he might or might not have disclosed was really lame. Shame on Texans mgmt for falling for it. We havent won a game with him this season...2-0 without his sorry ### hahaha.... Don't let the door hit you on the way out thief

You guys are being to harsh. I think we should take some perspective and share some of our favorite Ed Reed as a Texan memories.

There was the time I saw a number 20 standing near where the ball carrier was tackled, and I had to think for awhile to figure out what player he was.

And then there was the time he was playing the whole game, but did so little of contribution that I thought he missed the game with an injury or something.

Ah... those were the days.

So Reed gets cut after 9 games for telling the truth (texans ALWAYS get outcoached) yet Randy Bullock gets to stick around? D. Newton get to keep starting at right tackle? Brice McCain continues to see playing time? JOE MARCIANO continues to have a job???

Don't get me wrong. Ed Reed pretty much fleeced the texans and then showed that he had nothing left in the tank. But cutting him for some comments seems a bit petty if they're going to keep the rest of the bums who somehow find a way to play even WORSE than Reed has this season. Good riddance tho. Kubiak, Rick Smith and Wade Phillip all need to fire themselves at the end of the year too.

12 season of existence. Only 3 winning seasons. Pathetic!

Reed is a veteran "leader" in the locker room, who alot of the younger guys look up to as a legend. If he starts slamming the coaches that will have an effect on the team.

Fly you actually have a pretty good point.... I wish some of those other guys that you named were held accountable and kicked off the damn field too

Fly you actually have a pretty good point.... I wish some of those other guys that you named were held accountable and kicked off the damn field too
But those guys are loyal. I hope this doesn't need to be repeated again but in the Texans organization, loyalty trumps talent/leadership.

You guys are being to harsh. I think we should take some perspective and share some of our favorite Ed Reed as a Texan memories.

There was the time I saw a number 20 standing near where the ball carrier was tackled, and I had to think for awhile to figure out what player he was.

And then there was the time he was played the whole game, but did so little of contribution that I thought he missed the game with an injury or something.

Ah... those were the days.
Great Post. You made me laugh.

I need some advice before I lock in HOU as my survivor pool pick this week. The Texans in no way, shape or form would think about "tanking" for a better draft pick, right? No offense, but I just have to ask. Because if they all give max effort, I see no way Matt McGloin (expected to start in place of Pryor) walks into Houston and is effective against Wade's defense.

But the seven losses in a row are definitely a concern.

Users who are viewing this thread