What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Houston Texans Off-Season Thread (2 Viewers)

They still need money to sign rookie picks, not to mention if they are going to try to keep any of the other free agents.

I just hate seeing a cohesive, productive offensive line broken up. It can take awhile for a line to get to know each other and play well.

Wow. Simply wow. I will be really interested to see what type of move they make with this. Makes me a bit nervous when you see a good line that has been intact get broken up.

So the manning rumors are just that. McClain seems to be of the opinion it was leaked to drive up the price on Bud Adams.

so what in the he11 is the rationale behind keeping jacoby and walter at their salaries? they're like the most worthless 2 guys on the roster...

Some good points on am610 that at least you have Butler, Newton and a possible rookie or FA behind Winston. Their rationale is that this was a move for them to get Myers secured who there is nobody behind on the depth chart. Plus, Kubiak and team have had a lot of success with later round offensive linemen: Winston, Spencer, etc. Of course, if we don't resign Myers...

Also some chatter that the Texans will be making some more cuts tomorrow. So we may still see Jacoby and more out on their butts....

we can only hope they at least kick jacoby to the curb...i really dont hate walter but i think he should be a vet minimum guy for what he produces...is there really somebody else who would even pay him half of what we did?

I really like Eric Winston. But so does 30 other teams with more money than the Raiders. But one can hope.

I just heard from Shefter that Matt Leinart was cut. :confused:

I really like Eric Winston. But so does 30 other teams with more money than the Raiders. But one can hope. I just heard from Shefter that Matt Leinart was cut. :confused:
Saw a tweet from Adam S. saying the same thing. This is not as much of a surprise with TJ Yates playing beter than expected.

I really like Eric Winston. But so does 30 other teams with more money than the Raiders. But one can hope. I just heard from Shefter that Matt Leinart was cut. :confused:
Saw a tweet from Adam S. saying the same thing. This is not as much of a surprise with TJ Yates playing beter than expected.
Agreed. I would have been disappointed if Leinart wasn't cut... in the same way I'll be disappointed if Jacoby Jones isn't cut. Though I think Jones being cut is less likely with the Texans mindset. Though, after the Winston firing, maybe I don't have as good of a read on their mindset as I thought.

Excerpts from the Chronicle:

Offensive tackle Eric Winston was the first of several cap casualties. They saved $4.5 million by placing him on waivers.Quarterback Matt Leinart will be another one. Leinart will be waived Tuesday, freeing up $1.75 million in cap money.With receiver Andre Johnson clearing $5.2 million in cap space by restructuring his contract, the Texans saved $11.45 million on Monday....General manager Rick Smith and vice president of administration Chris Olsen are working around the clock to try to re-sign outside linebacker Mario Williams, center Chris Myers and some others who played key roles in the franchise’s best season....Williams’ first choice is to remain with the Texans, but he also knows he may have a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. He said recently his goal isn’t to become the highest-paid defensive player in history.“Hopefully, everything works out with them (the Texans),” Williams said. “I’ve just been waiting. I don’t know what’s going to happen. That’s just part of being in this position.”...“I’m hoping my best offer comes from the Texans so I can stay here,” said Dreessen, who caught 28 passes in 2011, including six for touchdowns. “I don’t want to leave. We’ve got such a good thing going here.”

The Texans also released offensive tackle Eric Winston in a surprising salary-cap maneuver, the Houston Chronicle reported."I was surprised," he told the newspaper. "They told me they were up against it (salary cap), and they didn’t want to insult me by asking me to take a pay cut. They said they hated to do it, and maybe we could work something out, but, well, I’m just stunned. I didn’t want to leave. This just sucks."
Sounds like a possibility they could re-sign him. Though, I'm not sure how doing so is different than asking him to take a pay cut.

Last edited by a moderator:
I could see them restructuring Ryans, but not cutting him outright. Too much dead money all the way through the 2015 season and not enough ILB depth.

Rumor that Ryans will either be restructed or cut. Jacoby to be cut.
Hopefully Demeco restructures. On one hand, fair would be taking a pay cut but with some incentives added back in that he could earn the money being cut. On the other hand, there's really no such thing as fair with all the other stuff in these contracts (signing bonuses, ability to cut players at will, etc), so no reason he should have to accept that.

I figured DeMeco was likely, hopefully they get a restructure but I can understand cutting him with Sharpton coming back. Sharpton was playing in his place quite a bit before his injury, and that LB spot is usually replaced in sub-packages anyway...

The door can't hit Jacoby's backside soon enough...

'Greg Russell said:

Offensive tackle Eric Winston was the first of several cap casualties. They saved $4.5 million by placing him on waivers.

Quarterback Matt Leinart will be another one. Leinart will be waived Tuesday, freeing up $1.75 million in cap money.

With receiver Andre Johnson clearing $5.2 million in cap space by restructuring his contract, the Texans saved $11.45 million on Monday.

General manager Rick Smith and vice president of administration Chris Olsen are working around the clock to try to re-sign outside linebacker Mario Williams, center Chris Myers and some others who played key roles in the franchise’s best season.

Williams’ first choice is to remain with the Texans, but he also knows he may have a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. He said recently his goal isn’t to become the highest-paid defensive player in history.

“Hopefully, everything works out with them (the Texans),” Williams said. “I’ve just been waiting. I don’t know what’s going to happen. That’s just part of being in this position.”

“I’m hoping my best offer comes from the Texans so I can stay here,” said Dreessen, who caught 28 passes in 2011, including six for touchdowns. “I don’t want to leave. We’ve got such a good thing going here.”
Interesting...Myers was just on Sirius, and when they asked how negotiations have gone thus far, he said, "I would call it more conversations than negotiations". He seemed very resigned to the fact that he will likely be leaving.

'Greg Russell said:

Offensive tackle Eric Winston was the first of several cap casualties. They saved $4.5 million by placing him on waivers.

Quarterback Matt Leinart will be another one. Leinart will be waived Tuesday, freeing up $1.75 million in cap money.

With receiver Andre Johnson clearing $5.2 million in cap space by restructuring his contract, the Texans saved $11.45 million on Monday.

General manager Rick Smith and vice president of administration Chris Olsen are working around the clock to try to re-sign outside linebacker Mario Williams, center Chris Myers and some others who played key roles in the franchise’s best season.

Williams’ first choice is to remain with the Texans, but he also knows he may have a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. He said recently his goal isn’t to become the highest-paid defensive player in history.

“Hopefully, everything works out with them (the Texans),” Williams said. “I’ve just been waiting. I don’t know what’s going to happen. That’s just part of being in this position.”

“I’m hoping my best offer comes from the Texans so I can stay here,” said Dreessen, who caught 28 passes in 2011, including six for touchdowns. “I don’t want to leave. We’ve got such a good thing going here.”
Interesting...Myers was just on Sirius, and when they asked how negotiations have gone thus far, he said, "I would call it more conversations than negotiations". He seemed very resigned to the fact that he will likely be leaving.
Double oof. Didn't hear the Sirius interview, but came in here to post this from it:

Stephanie Stradley ‏ @StephStradley

Rutroh :( MT @PHABMK6 Mangold contract was 8 years/$57.4 m. $25 million guar. That is what Myers agent is looking for as stated on XM radio

Nick Scurfield ‏ @NickScurfieldMcNair: “We want Mario [Williams]." Said #Texans will do everything they possibly can to keep him
I really hope they don't lose key pieces without backups in place to keep Mario. I would love to see them keep him, but not at the expense of Myers, Winston, Brisiel, etc, which may be what it would take to keep him.

Double oof. Didn't hear the Sirius interview, but came in here to post this from it:

Stephanie Stradley ‏ @StephStradleyRutroh :( MT @PHABMK6 Mangold contract was 8 years/$57.4 m. $25 million guar. That is what Myers agent is looking for as stated on XM radio
Have heard the guys on 610 radio say something similar in that Myers has turned out to be extremely more expensive than first thought. And do we really wanna spend that kind of money on a Center that's going to be 31 this year?Also heard a guy on 610 say that he spoke with Joel Dreessen at the Rodeo yesterday and that he hadn't even heard a thing from the Texans yet.

I really hope that's not the case. I mean, if you hope to re-sign someone, at least be in contact with their agent even if you're not able to spend your time with them yet negotiating.

really surprised that Winston was cut and if Myers is also cut, what are you guy's thoughts on the immediate impact to the Texans' running game? Seeems like a huge hit

Assuming they re-sign Brisiel if they let Myers go, then Brisiel might move to center and Antoine Caldwell would step in at guard. Caldwell has gotten playing time due to injuries and as far as I can recall has done decent.

Really hard to say though if you're replacing 2 players and shuffling another to a different position. I'm a big fan of offensive lines having time to gel with one another.

I'm really having a hard time saying. That I'm working on an hour and a half of sleep last night isn't helping me form my thoughts either, heh.

This little bit of info comes from Pro Football Talk regarding Winston's release:

"The Texans’ Monday night release of longtime right tackle Eric Winston caught a lot of folks by surprise.

FOX Sports’ Alex Marvez reports that the Texans cut Winston with a “failed physical” designation.

Per Marvez, Winston underwent arthroscopic ankle surgery in February. He anticipates receiving full medical clearance in two weeks, and has already begun scheduling visits.

Winston visited the Dolphins on Tuesday night.

Florio has reported that Winston also plans to visit the St. Louis Rams and Kansas City Chiefs."

I just don't understand what's going on in Houston. After finally breaking through to the postseason, we could potentially lose 3 starters on the o-line. I hope Butler, Caldwell and Newton can step in, but that's alot of new pieces :(

My guess is the failed medical thing with Winston isn't really relevant to his release. I don't know that it was even worth PFT reporting.

I share the concern about the O-line though. Hopefully they re-sign Myers and Brisiel. I think Brisiel is by far the less necessary of the two though.

Mario Williams tweet:

Thanks to all the real Texan fans out there. It has been a great ride for six years and I wish the team the very best. Much love to the Players, coaches and staff. It is unfortunate to have to leave such a great place due to salary cap constraints and other intentions.

Wish Mario the best. Pretty damn good player, but he's a better fit for a 4-3 IMO. Just one of those things where the circumstances seemed to make a divorce necessary. I don't think he's worth that kind of contract but don't blame him one bit. I think he tweeted it perfectly, and I'll root for him except against us...

Thank goodness. Was getting a bit glum after hearing about the Briesel signing.

Agree the price seems decent. Mangold got 8 years, $55m with $25m guaranteed two years ago. If the Jets don't cut or restructure him, Mangold's cap hits over the 4 years of Myers contract would be $32.5m, so $7m more.

So Caldwell and Butler move into the starting lineup, and the Texans will probably need to get some OL depth in free agency or the draft. Last year re-signing Butler to have some depth was one of the things I recall being a priority in my mind. Now the depth is gone.

What do Texans fans think about making a run at Mike Wallace?
I imagine most of us would love to have him as a player but don't see any way the Texans would make it work with the salary cap. Texans are worse off than the Steelers in cap room in that the Steelers have a lot of aging players they can cut to save money. Texans are one of the youngest teams in the league. Or, were before signing Delhomme and Garcia last year, heh.
How's the cap looking now?

What do Texans fans think about making a run at Mike Wallace?
I imagine most of us would love to have him as a player but don't see any way the Texans would make it work with the salary cap. Texans are worse off than the Steelers in cap room in that the Steelers have a lot of aging players they can cut to save money. Texans are one of the youngest teams in the league. Or, were before signing Delhomme and Garcia last year, heh.
How's the cap looking now?
Cut Jacoby Jones and then let's see...

Who is managing the cap down there?? Cutting/trading players to meet cap restrictions is almost unheard of in today's NFL.

Users who are viewing this thread