What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I'm an alcoholic AMA (1 Viewer)

I don't know where I am with this, but it is hitting way closer to home than I thought it would.... Or where I want it.

Last edited by a moderator:
It took over five years to get here, but I reached one year sober today. It’s still one day at a time, sometimes one hour at a time. Hope everyone here is doing well. 

This is huge.

I feel myself slipping.  Never drank at all at home up until last year (age 44)... a six pack of beer would expire in my fridge.

Now my wife and I are buying bottles of wine every day.  I can go without for a day or two.... doesn't seem to be an issue.  Then I see wine in the fridge and I pour a glass (then 3).

So weird. Alcohol was never a big thing in my life - then covid.

That 5am basketball group - gotta find that again.  Disappeared into the winds.

This is huge.

I feel myself slipping.  Never drank at all at home up until last year (age 44)... a six pack of beer would expire in my fridge.

Now my wife and I are buying bottles of wine every day.  I can go without for a day or two.... doesn't seem to be an issue.  Then I see wine in the fridge and I pour a glass (then 3).

There are a bunch of us on this board in varying stages of sobriety, half-sobriety, or abstention from alcohol. Feel free to post wherever and about whatever you're going through. If you feel like it's becoming a problem, best to address it before you regret some things that you did. I know now that I knew when I was twenty-four that I had a budding problem and it took a virtual lifetime to address (twenty-one years). I'm working on my third year without a drink this upcoming April. That does not mean I'm perfectly sober (I have an on/off problem with amphetamines), but I hope I can give at least acknowledgement of that there are people on the board with admitted problems and problems that have been addressed. 

Feel free to PM some of the more sober among us (probably not me) who chime in and feel free to ask questions or just talk and bounce stuff off of them. 

I'd hate to see this post go unaddressed, which is why I'm posting with my own problems up front, too. 

And speaking of which, I'm sober and having a rough night of it. No fun right now. I have no desire to drink, but the other stuff looms large and is just a problem right now. I'm having an awfully hard time of it at the moment. 

What a ####in' mess. Just want to go to bed and be done with the day, really. 

This is huge.

I know a few people who drink more now due to Covid. Only you can know if it’s become problematic though. No two stories are the same, and you don’t need to reach a typical rock bottom to be an alcoholic. I knew a long time ago that I had a problem (I’m 44 also).I just didn’t really care until a few years ago. Then I found out how much of a problem it was when I tried to stop and failed a bunch of times. This place has a lot of people with knowledge and experience so it’s good that you decided to post. There’s no shame in asking for some help. 

There are a bunch of us on this board in varying stages of sobriety, half-sobriety, or abstention from alcohol. Feel free to post wherever and about whatever you're going through. If you feel like it's becoming a problem, best to address it before you regret some things that you did. I know now that I knew when I was twenty-four that I had a budding problem and it took a virtual lifetime to address (twenty-one years). I'm working on my third year without a drink this upcoming April. That does not mean I'm perfectly sober (I have an on/off problem with amphetamines), but I hope I can give at least acknowledgement of that there are people on the board with admitted problems and problems that have been addressed. 

Feel free to PM some of the more sober among us (probably not me) who chime in and feel free to ask questions or just talk and bounce stuff off of them. 

I'd hate to see this post go unaddressed, which is why I'm posting with my own problems up front, too. 

As someone who has been sober for 19 years (will be 20 in October), anyone can PM at anytime.  One thing I learned over the years especially early on is that communication is key.  I went to many AA meetings when I was younger with longer members who I was able to bounce things off and talk with.  Even if they don't have answers, just having someone that can relate and listen to you is huge.

To echo what @snellmansaid, I have over 25 years without a drink. I am sorry I missed this thread and didn't contribute earlier. I have helped a couple people here over the years and truthfully after a while, that is what it is about. Helping the guy who comes after you. Any questions, problems or a need to talk, feel free to reach out. Congratulations on walking the walk and not just talking the talk.

According to my quit drinking app, I'm now 69 days sober (insert 12-year old humor here!).

Way too early to celebrate, but so far it's been a good start to my new journey. Not gonna lie, I miss my stouts, but man I sure do enjoy being able to get a decent night's sleep.

Best wishes to everyone here trying to abstain from drinking... Strykerpks, I'm sorry to see what you've been through lately, but you are one tough son-of-a-gun and I admire how well you've handled it. Stay strong.

TLDR See title. I'm vulnerable right now and really trying to get #### right. You'll see below but maybe I just need some strangers help?

I'll try to answer any questions but please forgive me if I miss one, or two, or six.

My first sip of anything was probably in 1983 at 5 years old. I asked my old man why Pabst was what he drank during the Packer game (had I known Packers 80s I may have been a drinker back then). I hated it. 15 years later I'm hammering beers with my boys in the woods. Otherwise my first "beer" was at 13

Long story short, myself and my alias have the most posts in the drunk thread. That was simple weekend drinking, maybe a softball night after 30 pitchers. Then I started drinking at work. A local establishment has great burgers so I would go and have a few drinks for lunch. I know the owner and then he was buying them for me. Then the liquor store down the road had some good deals so I would bring it back to my office. A few cocktails at lunch. Then a few cocktails at my desk. Then straight booze all over. This was not good. But hey, I can hide it, right?

A month ago the VP came to my office and said "Open your door. There's no Covid. It's safe". I disagreed with him, likely slurring. But I told him that he was wrong. We had a fight. I told him he was full of #### and that the corporate response to Covid was incorrect. They have since changed the policy based on my recommendations but that will never see the light of day.

The following day I had already had my 2nd drink of the day in my office at 9:30am I was called into his office.

President, VP, HR and my boss essentially told me to GTFO. I was told it was a fireable offense but after 21 years I got the benefit of the doubt. Get into rehab, FLMA, etc or be fired.

So here I am. 10 days into rehab. I'm on a number of different drugs (lexapro, gabapentin, metropolol, naltrexone).  I don't know what to end with. We'll see

I just saw this thread and Hope you are doing well. I have a question general for myself. 

I live at home right now at 34 do to financial situation. I work retail. I don't go out and drink to get bomb or anything I socially drink with friends and depending which group may have a smoke or 2 as I will socially smoke a cig or cigar depending where and who again. At night I might drink 1 -2 beers a night. Weekend more depending on a sporting event. I drink beer only as a substitute to water as I don't like plan water without lemon and it's a sub for me to it. 

I do have a history of alcoholism in my family. My mom bothers me saying I drink too much. Others have disagreed. Also it's not like I can't stop either. I've proven in the past I can go awhile without a drink. Would you or others say I have early stages of alcoholism or Is my mom and others overreacting do to past experiences? 

Hi Concerned in Carolina,

By no means am I accepting or condoning any of my (re)lapses. There are certain groups/associations that would frown upon any type of lapse. SMART understands that it will happen, it's not really accepted, but we're here to help you move on. Does that make sense?

I believe I mentioned it earlier in the thread but one of the best analogies I have ever heard was:

"If you're driving from NY to LA and you get a flat tire in Indianapolis. Do you drive back to NY or change the tire in Indy?"

I'm in Indianapolis right now, metaphorically. 

Thank you for your concern. It truly means a lot. 

Good luck to you with your journey.  You've got this.

Did you hear the one about the Irishman who attempted to swim across the English Channel.  He got halfway, got tired so he turned back.* 

* I am of Irish descent.

I just saw this thread and Hope you are doing well. I have a question general for myself. 

I live at home right now at 34 do to financial situation. I work retail. I don't go out and drink to get bomb or anything I socially drink with friends and depending which group may have a smoke or 2 as I will socially smoke a cig or cigar depending where and who again. At night I might drink 1 -2 beers a night. Weekend more depending on a sporting event. I drink beer only as a substitute to water as I don't like plan water without lemon and it's a sub for me to it. 

I do have a history of alcoholism in my family. My mom bothers me saying I drink too much. Others have disagreed. Also it's not like I can't stop either. I've proven in the past I can go awhile without a drink. Would you or others say I have early stages of alcoholism or Is my mom and others overreacting do to past experiences? 

I think one of the things I've realized of late, is that Alcoholism isn't a binary state. There is no obvious indicator that definitively checks the alcoholic box, nor is there any one person who can look over someone and differentiate between "yep this person is surely an alcoholic" or "nope, this person is all good, they drink but are not an alcoholic".

Alcoholism is much like Autism; it's a spectrum. Everyone who drinks, no matter how much or how little, is somewhere on that spectrum. It's really about the relationship an individual has with alcohol. And as I've gotten older, I've begun to suspect that there really aren't that many people who truly have a "good" relationship with alcohol, nor many people who you could say are actually "responsible" drinkers. Not to the extent that society likes to think, anyway (in my opinion).

But I do think that one of the biggest indicators of an issue.. is if you start personally wondering if there's an issue. There's all kinds of reasons we can think of to give ourselves reasons to drink, i.e. "I had a stressful day, a couple of beers would help relax me" or "hey a game is on, that calls for some drinks", etc.

But are those legitimate reasons, or just excuses to drink? Only you can look inward and know if you're being honest with yourself.

I will say that I was in your exact place about a decade ago. And slowly but surely I found myself drinking just a little bit more here and there. I was never much of a binge drinker (one of the things people think of when they think of alcoholism), but eventually my body started telling me that it had enough. And when I started trying to listen, is when I realized I had a bad relationship with alcohol. Because as an every day drinker, not drinking suddenly became a mental and emotional challenge, whereas many years back that was never a problem.

Sorry to give you the runaround, but ultimately only you can make the determination of whether you're in danger or not. It does take some deep soul searching, though.

I think one of the things I've realized of late, is that Alcoholism isn't a binary state. There is no obvious indicator that definitively checks the alcoholic box, nor is there any one person who can look over someone and differentiate between "yep this person is surely an alcoholic" or "nope, this person is all good, they drink but are not an alcoholic".

Alcoholism is much like Autism; it's a spectrum. Everyone who drinks, no matter how much or how little, is somewhere on that spectrum. It's really about the relationship an individual has with alcohol. And as I've gotten older, I've begun to suspect that there really aren't that many people who truly have a "good" relationship with alcohol, nor many people who you could say are actually "responsible" drinkers. Not to the extent that society likes to think, anyway (in my opinion).

But I do think that one of the biggest indicators of an issue.. is if you start personally wondering if there's an issue. There's all kinds of reasons we can think of to give ourselves reasons to drink, i.e. "I had a stressful day, a couple of beers would help relax me" or "hey a game is on, that calls for some drinks", etc.

But are those legitimate reasons, or just excuses to drink? Only you can look inward and know if you're being honest with yourself.

I will say that I was in your exact place about a decade ago. And slowly but surely I found myself drinking just a little bit more here and there. I was never much of a binge drinker (one of the things people think of when they think of alcoholism), but eventually my body started telling me that it had enough. And when I started trying to listen, is when I realized I had a bad relationship with alcohol. Because as an every day drinker, not drinking suddenly became a mental and emotional challenge, whereas many years back that was never a problem.

Sorry to give you the runaround, but ultimately only you can make the determination of whether you're in danger or not. It does take some deep soul searching, though.

Thanks your answer was what I fully expected and what I had theorized already about it. I know do to experiences some will over worry which is legit in cases like this. I'm not someone who feels they need a drink every day and have had days I don't touch anything. Gone whole weekends without it even went a month without to as a way to start a weight loss program as well. 

Alcoholism is much like Autism; it's a spectrum. Everyone who drinks, no matter how much or how little, is somewhere on that spectrum.
This is very interesting discussion- I drink more today than at any point in my life.  I’m willing to consider that I’m on an Alcoholism spectrum but I also think it somewhat does a disservice to those who we’ve classically referred to as alcoholics. For me, my concern is more similar to yours around health and well-being.  I very rarely get drunk (maybe 2-3 times a year) but definitely somewhat regularly have more than one drink where I wouldn’t drive.  I go days or even weeks at a time with nothing to drink.  Even though I kind of like your analogy, I wouldn’t call that person an alcoholic - who for me is someone who cannot function without alcohol.  Maybe we need a new term that helps clarify the spectrum.  

This is very interesting discussion- I drink more today than at any point in my life.  I’m willing to consider that I’m on an Alcoholism spectrum but I also think it somewhat does a disservice to those who we’ve classically referred to as alcoholics. For me, my concern is more similar to yours around health and well-being.  I very rarely get drunk (maybe 2-3 times a year) but definitely somewhat regularly have more than one drink where I wouldn’t drive.  I go days or even weeks at a time with nothing to drink.  Even though I kind of like your analogy, I wouldn’t call that person an alcoholic - who for me is someone who cannot function without alcohol.  Maybe we need a new term that helps clarify the spectrum.  

You're absolutely right it's not a perfect analogy. Maybe I should clarify.. I don't consider someone like yourself who goes long periods without drinking to be what most people would consider an alcoholic.

I guess I what I mean is anyone who drinks even occasionally and is on that spectrum is potentially at risk of sliding towards the other end at some point in their life. It's something that can sneak up on us, and the further you move down the line it becomes increasingly difficult to differentiate who's an alcoholic and who isn't, and exactly what that means.

But yeah I'm definitely nitpicking here. I just think that the typical outlook on alcoholism by society as either being a hard true or false designation is not a helpful approach. It's too easy for us draw the line in the sand far away and say "well that's for other people, surely I'm not the one with a problem".

So, it has been brought to my attention, that I said "most people here suck". I meant what I said, but it was not all-encompassing. I implied I was ungrateful for the support in this thread. Neither could be further from the truth. I'd like to thank @rockaction for helping me realize my words on this forum have meaning, even if misstated or misunderstood.

It's been about 6 months since my last update. Things have been rough. I was really strong but had a recent lapse. I don't want to make excuses but I had a really bad 2 weeks. The holidays in and of themselves are difficult as a person, let alone a person in recovery.

So Christmas came and went, then my uncle (and Godfather) went on a Covid vent and died on the 27th. Another uncle, who was 83 and not well to begin with was on a vent and died on the 28th. Then his wife was on a vent and died of a stroke on the 29th. Stuff your politics aside and just wear a ####### mask or get the shot. People are dying. Whatevs....

So my wife and I tried to make the best of it and at midnight on NYE we toasted NA sparkling wine/juice and said "Here's to 2022. Let's begin anew". We kissed, we made love and everything was great.

7am new years day, we got the call. Her father had a heart attack and died. 4 deaths in a week. We were both completely distraught. 

On top of all this I quit my job and started a new one. My last day was the 31st. I had built in a week to jerk off and play video games but that never happened. Katie went home to be with family and I had the kids.

At any rate I was feeling pretty bad. I know better, but I picked up on the 2nd. I had 2 drinks and on the second one I caught myself. I dumped all the liquor out and called my mom, my wife, my therapist, and my groups and we worked it through.

Since then I've been doing really well. I have bi-weekly check ins with a SAC (substance abuse counselor....my therapist). I have a regular Tuesday evening in-person SMART group. I have a Sunday and Thursday SMART group that's via zoom. But in all reality these online meetings are every day. I did one every day after my FIL died for a week. 

Last update, I didn't watch the Super Bowl. I got punched in the face by a craving/panic/anxiety attack and just couldn't do it. I made wings, jalapeno poppers, Texas shotgun shells, shar cooterie (I will never spell that right) and once I sat down I told my wife "I can't do this". So I did group/meetings all night. 

My self awareness has grown to the point where I now work for a printing company. Most of what we print is liquor displays. I'm not even triggered. I see a Captain Morgan sign and I think to myself "It's a piece of cardboard/paper/etc"

I'm not perfect. And I never will be. I'll slip again. I'll learn again. But I'm so much better now than I was just a year ago. Luff ewe all, except those of you who suck ;)
No idea what this was about, but it's not limited to people here. 

Hope you're doing well, gb.

This was explained very well and I can't explain it any better, but I will give you my back story to try to help.  When I was 7 or 8 I would stay at my grandpa's house a lot especially in the summer because I liked to help him in his meat locker and later at his farm after he sold his business.  His favorite drink was a Vodka/7up so he would give me some (probably a drop of Vodka and the rest 7up but I thought it was cool because I was drinking with grandpa).  My mother's side was a very heavy drinking family and there were a lot of fights and arguments at family get togethers because of the alcohol, but I didn't realize that until I got older.

My high school years were typical high school until my senior year.  There was a bar in town that would serve me and my friends even though we were under 21.  I would go to that bar pretty much every night and drink, especially the 2nd half of my senior year.  I went to a community college for Computer programming but lived at home. Was more interested in partying than studying and of course my grades showed that so I never finished.

I got married at a young age (20 yrs old) and had my first child at 22.  My wife's family also was a fairly heavy drinking family so every get together had alcohol and we would have our older nieces and nephews babysit so we could go out drinking.  I was married for 9 yrs until my wife told me that she was seeing a co worker and wanted a divorce.  That was a very rough time for me as I also started having seizures again (I had them when I was 14 but had as cyst removed from my left temporal lobe of my brain and the seizures had stopped).

After the separation and divorce I started drinking more heavily.  I went to the bar every night and there were a few nights that I don't remember driving back home.  There  were also days that I went into work very hung over, but it never affected my ability to work.  

Then the accident happened.  I was going home from a parent teacher conference so I hadn't had a drink.  I am told I had a seizure while driving (told because I don't remember anything until the medical staff were talking to me), rolled my car through a median of a divided highway then got hit by another vehicle.  I was told that if I had been wearing my seatbelt I would have been dead because the roof of my car was even with the hood.  This started a very long recovery procedure as I had smashed my one foot and broke my collar bone.  They were able to save my foot, but I still have some trouble with it today because it was so smashed.

I was still having seizures, so I while I was in the hospital, they were trying to figure out what was causing them.  One of the things they did to try to trigger them was have me drink. I will never forget when they brought me 3 cans of Budweiser with pharmacy labels on them.  It was determined that scar tissue from my previous surgery when I was 14 so they went in and did another surgery to remove the scar tissue.

Of course I couldn't work at that time so I decided to go stay with my brother for a while who was living in Oklahoma.  He had gotten busted for Methamphetimine use and distribution when he was younger and done prison time, but he had gotten a good job and was living a pretty good life.  He went to AA meetings very regularly so while I was staying with him I went to the meetings also because there was nothing else I could do so why not.  

The meetings and listening to people tell their stories and ups and downs of their lives really struck me. I could relate to so many of them and so much of what they were talking about. I struck me that I might have had and have a problem. I am still very good friends with some of them and talk to them regularly even though it is 20 years later and we are 600 miles apart.  I kept going to meetings when I came back home for quite a while.  I met my current wife (we have been together for 16 years) and gradually went to less meetings until I stopped (not sure why, other than very busy life with kids when they were younger and now just don't want to leave the house after I get home from work) but I still keep regular contact with some of the members there. 

It is easy most days for me to not drink and they days that aren't, I just remember the cans of beer with the pharmacy labels.  I have been able to have a pretty good life after all that happened and I don't want to risk giving that up to feel good for a few hours.

Sorry this got so long, but I hope it helps to know where some of us are coming from.

Great encapsulation of what I've thought for a long time.  I don't consider myself an alcoholic, but I do know that I'm a binge drinker for sure.  If I am going out for drinks, it's to catch a good buzz.... which sometimes leads to next-day hangover.  I don't just "drink one or two".  I don't see the point.  Empty calories, and I don't necessarily love the taste of beer to begin with.  

My mom's showed concerns in the past because her dad was a raging alcoholic (came back from WW2 and had to deal with being the breadwinner with 3 crazy daughters) but I am pretty sure I have things under control for the most part.  I can go weeks without going out; it's not like I'm craving getting drunk on a daily basis.  Not even close.  I'm like 1-2 times a week AT MOST.  It's gone from 1x a week to maybe 2x a week because of .... drum roll .... COVID.  I was never an at-home drinker.  At most I'd have a beer or two while getting ready to go out, but since COVID hit, I've taken a shine to having some cocktails at home on a Tuesday afternoon/evening.  And again, if I'm drinking, it's to catch a good buzz.

I've considered cutting back or just giving it up entirely.  But I'm such a social person I just can't envision myself just staying home.... or going out and just drinking water.  It sure would help my finances thought :lol:   

Another issue is that I fear that the booze interferes with my medications that I'm on for anxiety and depression.  I do need to ask my doc about this.  I'd hate to be taking two steps forward and one (or more) step back.  

Anyways, great thread to peruse from time to time just to help me evaluate my own drinking problem and figure out a good way to proceed in life moving forward.  I certainly don't want to cause my body (or mind) any problems.

I've considered cutting back or just giving it up entirely.  But I'm such a social person I just can't envision myself just staying home.... or going out and just drinking water.  It sure would help my finances though  :lol:   
I have a friend who is an alcoholic, and he has been sober since last August. When he goes out he has a mixed drink without the alcohol in it (virgin cocktail) or something like a ginger beer (it doesn't have alcohol in it).  It helps with his cravings, and psychologically makes him feel more comfortable in whatever setting he is in, including having people over to his and his wife's house.

I have a friend who is an alcoholic, and he has been sober since last August. When he goes out he has a mixed drink without the alcohol in it (virgin cocktail) or something like a ginger beer (it doesn't have alcohol in it).  It helps with his cravings, and psychologically makes him feel more comfortable in whatever setting he is in, including having people over to his and his wife's house.

I have a couple friends that do this as well.... I think I'd miss the buzz, but maybe I could just start doing more edibles :lol:   

It's been a minute, hasn't it? I see there's been some activity in this thread. That's great. I'm glad this has generated some discussion. I'm happy to help answer anything or take PMs from someone who is struggling. I don't check in to the FFA as much but it's good to see

I'm still struggling myself. Since I last posted, there were a lapse or two. It was nothing grand, no great issue I was dealing with. Just a lack of accountability and time (HALTs....IYKYK). I wish it were easier. I wish I could avoid the shame of admitting it time and time again. It's been roughly 16 months since the beginning of this journey. But honestly each one helped me learn a thing or two about a thing or two. My therapist really liked that line lol.

So today I'm knocking on 6 months of total sobriety. 5 months and 22 days to be exact. I'm nowhere near where I want to be. I could **** up tomorrow (not planning on it fyi). I just thought I'd throw an update out there see how everyone was doing.

It's been a minute, hasn't it? I see there's been some activity in this thread. That's great. I'm glad this has generated some discussion. I'm happy to help answer anything or take PMs from someone who is struggling. I don't check in to the FFA as much but it's good to see

I'm still struggling myself. Since I last posted, there were a lapse or two. It was nothing grand, no great issue I was dealing with. Just a lack of accountability and time (HALTs....IYKYK). I wish it were easier. I wish I could avoid the shame of admitting it time and time again. It's been roughly 16 months since the beginning of this journey. But honestly each one helped me learn a thing or two about a thing or two. My therapist really liked that line lol.

So today I'm knocking on 6 months of total sobriety. 5 months and 22 days to be exact. I'm nowhere near where I want to be. I could **** up tomorrow (not planning on it fyi). I just thought I'd throw an update out there see how everyone was doing.
As a fellow in recovery, congrats on 6 months. Every day is its own adventure. Hopefully the phenomenon of craving is lifted. ODAAT

Users who are viewing this thread