What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

iPad (5 Viewers)

So no USB connectivity, no multitasking, no tabbed browsing, and 3G connectivity is a monthly fee. I really wanted to want one, so I'm genuinely not fishing when I ask this - what am I paying $500 for if it can't do any of the things I mentioned that I assumed would be basic features?

So no USB connectivity, no multitasking, no tabbed browsing, and 3G connectivity is a monthly fee. I really wanted to want one, so I'm genuinely not fishing when I ask this - what am I paying $500 for if it can't do any of the things I mentioned that I assumed would be basic features?
You can be a really cool person by owning the latest Apple product. :hifive:

:hifive:

You can browse the internet (well not any sites that use flash) from your couch! A stunning innovation. If only there was some other device that would let you do this...

You can browse the internet (well not any sites that use flash) from your couch! A stunning innovation. If only there was some other device that would let you do this...
:hifive:

I think that's the question those not swept up in the euphoria are asking.

I think another thing that's troublesome is how good Chrome and Firefox are now. With all the tabbled browsing and synching bookmarks across multiple machines plus all the extensions, internet browsing has become really good. Meaning internet browsing on a $500 netbook is really good.

I think what some of us are asking is the same thing you're asking - isn't this taking a pretty big step backward in some respects?

J

Last edited by a moderator:
Can somebody explain what the point in owning one would be? Seriously, I don't understand why people are going nuts over this. It's a portability thing? So you can watch tv shows on a plane or something?

Not only do you NOT get 3G, the 3G version won't be out until later this month and those device are $800, not $400 like you paid. So now you're going to have to shell out another $800 for the new 3G device (and sell your $400 version - or give it to charity), you'll have to buy the $30/month 3G data plan from AT&T on top of that.And no multitasking..And no USB...And no tabbed browsing...And apps are 2-5x more expensive.Again, Fanboy prices. You could have bought a laptop or netbook for less than that and got ALL of that functionality. So, you've been suckered again by Apple and like JB said earlier, it looks like you've actually taken a step backwards.And just to clarify, my beef is not that Apple doesn't make great products, because they do and they are all awesome, but the prices they charge are ridiculous and for Fanboys only.

Not only do you NOT get 3G, the 3G version won't be out until later this month and those device are $800, not $400 like you paid. So now you're going to have to shell out another $800 for the new 3G device (and sell your $400 version - or give it to charity), you'll have to buy the $30/month 3G data plan as well.And no multitasking..And no USB...And no tabbed browsing...And apps are 2-5x more expensive.Again, Fanboy prices. You could have bought a laptop or netbook for less than that and got ALL of that functionality. So, you've been suckered again by Apple and like JB said earlier, it looks like you've actually taken a step backwards.And just to clarify, my beef is not that Apple doesn't make great products, because they do and they are all awesome, but the prices they charge are ridiculous and for Fanboys only.
Some people are willing to pay up for products that are better designed and more enjoyable to use. :hifive:

Can somebody explain what the point in owning one would be? Seriously, I don't understand why people are going nuts over this. It's a portability thing? So you can watch tv shows on a plane or something?
IMO it is for the content, it all comes at a price though so make sure you add it up first.There will be some nice apps developed specifically for this device, so that while you could find hardware with better specs at a much better value, unless you install a similar OS on the device you will not have the same user experience.The question you have to ask yourself is if the premium is worth an X% greater user experience.

IMO it is for the content, it all comes at a price though so make sure you add it up first.There will be some nice apps developed specifically for this device, so that while you could find hardware with better specs at a much better value, unless you install a similar OS on the device you will not have the same user experience.The question you have to ask yourself is if the premium is worth an X% greater user experience.
In english?

:wub:
Wow, good comeback. I take it since that is as good as you could muster that he's actually pretty much right on target with his comment?

Not only do you NOT get 3G, the 3G version won't be out until later this month and those device are $800, not $400 like you paid. So now you're going to have to shell out another $800 for the new 3G device (and sell your $400 version - or give it to charity), you'll have to buy the $30/month 3G data plan as well.And no multitasking..And no USB...And no tabbed browsing...And apps are 2-5x more expensive.Again, Fanboy prices. You could have bought a laptop or netbook for less than that and got ALL of that functionality. So, you've been suckered again by Apple and like JB said earlier, it looks like you've actually taken a step backwards.And just to clarify, my beef is not that Apple doesn't make great products, because they do and they are all awesome, but the prices they charge are ridiculous and for Fanboys only.
Some people are willing to pay up for products that are better designed and more enjoyable to use. :wub:
I agree redmond there is a market of people who will pay more for something better.I think the friction you're seeing is that there is certain percentage of folks who see
And no multitasking..And no USB...And no tabbed browsing...
and get the opposite impression of "better designed and more enjoyable to use".Of course those people don't have to buy. But we're not buying here - we're discussing. I do think it's an interesting disconnect. One side is willing to pay substantially more for a machine that the other side feels does substantially less.J

Not only do you NOT get 3G, the 3G version won't be out until later this month and those device are $800, not $400 like you paid. So now you're going to have to shell out another $800 for the new 3G device (and sell your $400 version - or give it to charity), you'll have to buy the $30/month 3G data plan from AT&T on top of that.And no multitasking..

And no USB...

And no tabbed browsing...

And apps are 2-5x more expensive.

Again, Fanboy prices. You could have bought a laptop or netbook for less than that and got ALL of that functionality. So, you've been suckered again by Apple and like JB said earlier, it looks like you've actually taken a step backwards.

And just to clarify, my beef is not that Apple doesn't make great products, because they do and they are all awesome, but the prices they charge are ridiculous and for Fanboys only.
Isn't the same iPad with 3G only $130 more?

Some people are willing to pay up for products that are better designed and more enjoyable to use. :wub:
Sure, I guess - and for so much less functionality.

Not only do you NOT get 3G, the 3G version won't be out until later this month and those device are $800, not $400 like you paid. So now you're going to have to shell out another $800 for the new 3G device (and sell your $400 version - or give it to charity), you'll have to buy the $30/month 3G data plan from AT&T on top of that.And no multitasking..

And no USB...

Again, Fanboy prices. You could have bought a laptop or netbook for less than that and got ALL of that functionality. So, you've been suckered again by Apple and like JB said earlier, it looks like you've actually taken a step backwards.

And just to clarify, my beef is not that Apple doesn't make great products, because they do and they are all awesome, but the prices they charge are ridiculous and for Fanboys only.
I thought I read it was $800. I'm going to go back and see if I can post the link.

My Best Advice: Go to your Apple Store and give it a shot, then judge for yourself. :wub:

And no USB...

I thought I read it was $800. I'm going to go back and see if I can post the link.
You're right - I was looking at the 64gb version.

My Best Advice: Go to your Apple Store and give it a shot, then judge for yourself. :wub:
I don't have to. My brother is a sucker for every Apple product that comes out so I'll just save my money and go over to his house.

:lol: I love going into Sharper Image or Brookstone's to play with neat stuff. However, I rarely buy the stuff because, while it's neat, it's overpriced. Unfortunately, the discussion around the ipad is getting bogged down in an Apple vs. the world side show. I like Apple. I own an ipod, albeit an ancient one. I was thinking the ipad would be a neat replacement for my ancient ipod that also did some cooler stuff. I'm neither an Apple acolyte nor an Apple hater. I'm the vast majority of America - the ambivalent middle. When I saw the price tag and all of the discussion about it being a multi-media device, I was genuinely excited. Then I saw all of the negatives I mentioned earlier, while leaves me right where I started - curious, but not intent on buying immediately.

My Best Advice: Go to your Apple Store and give it a shot, then judge for yourself. :thumbup:
I don't have to. My brother is a sucker for every Apple product that comes out so I'll just save my money and go over to his house.
You really talk about your brother a lot... :rolleyes:

My Best Advice: Go to your Apple Store and give it a shot, then judge for yourself. :rolleyes:
:thumbup: I love going into Sharper Image or Brookstone's to play with neat stuff. However, I rarely buy the stuff because, while it's neat, it's overpriced. Unfortunately, the discussion around the ipad is getting bogged down in an Apple vs. the world side show. I like Apple. I own an ipod, albeit an ancient one. I was thinking the ipad would be a neat replacement for my ancient ipod that also did some cooler stuff. I'm neither an Apple acolyte nor an Apple hater. I'm the vast majority of America - the ambivalent middle. When I saw the price tag and all of the discussion about it being a multi-media device, I was genuinely excited. Then I saw all of the negatives I mentioned earlier, while leaves me right where I started - curious, but not intent on buying immediately.
Same here. I'd really like an iPhone, but I'm waiting to see if Verizon gets one later this year. I'm sure I'd enjoy having an iPad, but I'm sure I'll wait at least a year, maybe two, and let them work out the kinks and lower the prices.

The way they do the multiple windows serves the same purpose as tabbed browsing, so that knock isn't really valid.

Multiple apps running at once is a legitimate gripe.

I rarely ever use a USB port, but I guess if someone can't use the USB port on their desktop and needs one on a mobile computer then it's an issue.

Overall it enhances the entertainment aspect of computing a ton, i won't use it for work or typing novels but that's not what it's intended for.

:rolleyes:
Wow, good comeback. I take it since that is as good as you could muster that he's actually pretty much right on target with his comment?
If you agree with him that the only thing the ipad has to offer is the ability to browse the internet from your couch, then I stand by me :thumbup:

My Best Advice: Go to your Apple Store and give it a shot, then judge for yourself. :rolleyes:
:thumbup: I love going into Sharper Image or Brookstone's to play with neat stuff. However, I rarely buy the stuff because, while it's neat, it's overpriced. Unfortunately, the discussion around the ipad is getting bogged down in an Apple vs. the world side show. I like Apple. I own an ipod, albeit an ancient one. I was thinking the ipad would be a neat replacement for my ancient ipod that also did some cooler stuff. I'm neither an Apple acolyte nor an Apple hater. I'm the vast majority of America - the ambivalent middle. When I saw the price tag and all of the discussion about it being a multi-media device, I was genuinely excited. Then I saw all of the negatives I mentioned earlier, while leaves me right where I started - curious, but not intent on buying immediately.
I'm in the same boat with you. I love my iPhone. There is nothing that could make me go back to a blackberry or anything else. I just fail to see a single reason to buy this product. If it had all the functionality of a laptop, sure, it would be worth it. But it doesn't. Not even close. Can you even print with this thing?

:rolleyes:
If you agree with him that the only thing the ipad has to offer is the ability to browse the internet from your couch, then I stand by me :thumbup:
Oh... I forgot that you can listen to music with it also. Does anyone know how are the speakers on it?

My Best Advice: Go to your Apple Store and give it a shot, then judge for yourself. :thumbup:
You really talk about your brother a lot... :rolleyes:
He's an Apple Fanboy to the core and I'm just exhausted from listening to how Apple is so much better than the rest of the world. He's actually pushed me away from Apple products.He needs to put a sock in it. But I do love Apple products - just not what you get for the price.

No way i'd get one for $500

a friend of mine got one on lockerz,though.How much do these things go for on Ebay?

Saw this and chuckled:

The Reluctant Pragmatist

He knows he doesn't really need it. And he's not sure he wants to support Apple's increasingly-skeezy behavior.

But making a stand on principled reasons seems dumb when he just wants to surf the web on that thing while pooping. I mean, come on. It's a gadget, why take it so damned seriously?

Some people are willing to pay up for products that are better designed and more enjoyable to use. :popcorn:
Sure, I guess - and for so much less functionality.
Well...you made a blanket statement about Apple products. In general, their usable functionality is extremely high. I am still not sure what the exact point of the iPad is though.

So if there is no USB how do I get my ripped music and movies on it?Serious question.
Same way you would get them onto your iphone, or ipod.
Well I'm :confused: because I use a usb port. When people say no usb they mean no external usb devices?
There is no USB on an ipod, ipad, or iphone. They have their apple dock connector thing that is a USB on the other end.
Carry on... I thought they meant you couldn't connect via usb....

Can it do a network share and stream my ciontent from my pc or server?

If not oob I'm sure an app allows it...

“It’s beyond technology. It’s a culture. It’s a community,” said Rey Gutierrez, a die-hard loyalist with a tattoo of the Apple logo on his left hand, who had waited outside the San Francisco Apple store since 4 a.m. “No other company can drop a device and generate this much energy. Every big brand is envious of what Apple can do.”

OOF

Still really impressed with this thing. Apple hit it out of the park.
It really is a perfect entertainment device.I've never used a touchpad device and it's just natural to use.I really doubt any of the detractors have used one. If people get it out of their head that it's not supposed to be a workstation they will realize how well it does what it's supposed to...entertain.

Still really impressed with this thing. Apple hit it out of the park.
It really is a perfect entertainment device.I've never used a touchpad device and it's just natural to use.

I really doubt any of the detractors have used one. If people get it out of their head that it's not supposed to be a workstation they will realize how well it does what it's supposed to...entertain.
Wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread