What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

iPad (1 Viewer)

To some people, the limited functionality + the "entertainment value" is all they need, not to mention the status symbol of it.
Apple is a brilliant marketing company.
No question about it. I don't think they have the best business model, but the brand power is superb. I think every company would kill to have the marketability that Apple has.
Couldn't agree more. They know what they are doing and can market better than any company I can think of. They basically took an iPod touch and stretched it out and instantly have a billion dollar product.

I have found something annoying. I can't reply to posts with lots of quoted text. There is no scroll bar in the reply box for me on the iPad. Maybe I'm an idiot but it's annoying me so if any other ipaders are experiencing this let me know what I need to do.

I have found something annoying. I can't reply to posts with lots of quoted text. There is no scroll bar in the reply box for me on the iPad. Maybe I'm an idiot but it's annoying me so if any other ipaders are experiencing this let me know what I need to do.
Same problem as on an iPhone...

To some people, the limited functionality + the "entertainment value" is all they need, not to mention the status symbol of it.
Apple is a brilliant marketing company.
No question about it. I don't think they have the best business model, but the brand power is superb. I think every company would kill to have the marketability that Apple has.
Couldn't agree more. They know what they are doing and can market better than any company I can think of. They basically took an iPod touch and stretched it out and instantly have a billion dollar product.
Yep, and people hate them for it. Damn them for having such great ideas...What I find even more interesting is how they can convince people who already have Macbooks and new-gen iPods and iPhones to go out and spend $500+ to buy an iPad. The brand loyalty is crazy.

Well I found my first real complaint. The detractors must be happy.
So the whole no multi-tasking, no usb, no video out, and no flash doesn't bother you, but not being able to scroll on forums does? Wow.

The iPad runs the same OS as the phone right?
Of course. It is the exact same device just bigger.

So the whole no multi-tasking, no usb, no video out, and no flash doesn't bother you, but not being able to scroll on forums does? Wow.
Why does any of that matter? Seriously

Maybe I don't notice much but no flash hasn't affected anything for me. Never been a fan of flash anyway.No USB means nothing to me, I don't use USB except on my desktop every blue moon to sync my iPod.Multiple tasking is a legit gripe, but I haven't really missed it so far.

Maybe I don't notice much but no flash hasn't affected anything for me. Never been a fan of flash anyway.No USB means nothing to me, I don't use USB except on my desktop every blue moon to sync my iPod.Multiple tasking is a legit gripe, but I haven't really missed it so far.
Yeah, who wants to do more than one thing on a device anyway :bye: If I'm listening to tunes do I really need to be playing a game or browsing the web?Haters are going to try and rip this thing apart. That's what haters do.

So Apple is waiting/hoping HTML 5 becomes the standard so people will stop complaining about the lack of flashplayer?
To me, this is one of the more interesting side stories brewing right now.The fact that a lot of content sites are rushing to include HTML5 into their video coding says to me in itself, that they know this tablet is going to be huge.I honestly don't like what Apple is doing here though, they are really sticking it to Adobe for no other reason than trying to shut them out of this market. Apple is also forcing content providers to spend more money to redesign for the IPAD.However the fact that Apple looks like they may pull this off is really amazing to me.

I'm sure Apple will address this in future versions of the device. Of course, you'll be paying twice as much for basic functionality that just about everything else has but at least it will be addressed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why does any of that matter? Seriously
Well right now my wife is Encoding my sons basketball game to burn to DVD while doing our taxes on the sofa. USB or SD would be a nice quick way to transfer media versus wireless from say a Camera. Flash is all over the web.

Can somebody explain what the point in owning one would be? Seriously, I don't understand why people are going nuts over this. It's a portability thing? So you can watch tv shows on a plane or something?
My Best Advice: Go to your Apple Store and give it a shot, then judge for yourself. :bye:
This. I love the thing so far. But i cant tell anyone what the experience is like. They need to try it for themselves. A couple things that folks were right about:-at least at the bieginning, the keyboard is awkward,-sitting it on your lap can be awkwardI think these are things you can only fully appreciate after using it for a bit. And each of us will have different uses and a different threshold. But im actually already getting a whole lot better at the keyboard after a limited time.

Wouldn't it be nice if on Vacaiton you didn't have to carry your macbook, iPad and iPod and you could just plug your iPod in and synch with your iPad. That woudl be nice.

Still really impressed with this thing. Apple hit it out of the park.
It really is a perfect entertainment device.I've never used a touchpad device and it's just natural to use.

I really doubt any of the detractors have used one. If people get it out of their head that it's not supposed to be a workstation they will realize how well it does what it's supposed to...entertain.
Wrong.
So you used one that was chained to a desk without most of the apps. I really don't believe you even used one as app developers weren't given units pre release.
Yep, he's FOS. Welcome to the internet.
I know card trader. not FOS in this instance at least. has a real job that would give him access. the android stuff is on the side

You can browse the internet (well not any sites that use flash) from your couch! A stunning innovation. If only there was some other device that would let you do this...
:bye:
Wow, good comeback. I take it since that is as good as you could muster that he's actually pretty much right on target with his comment?
If you agree with him that the only thing the ipad has to offer is the ability to browse the internet from your couch, then I stand by me :bye:
Actually listening now and they sound really good. Oh... I forgot that you can listen to music with it also. Does anyone know how are the speakers on it?

I can 't reply to many posts due to the reply scroll problem, so to those people sorry to have to ignore your posts.

So far that problem is by far my biggest complaint. I guess I'm a simple guy but I don't mind the main things others are bashing on (USB/flash/etc) but the reply issue is troubling.

Maybe I don't notice much but no flash hasn't affected anything for me. Never been a fan of flash anyway.
It's not about being a fan of Flash it's that every website that streams video uses Flash. The big dogs like youtube seem to be recoding to suit the IPAD but eventually you are going to come on smaller content providers who do not have the resources to recode and therefore you will not be able to watch the video.

I actually had one on reserve, then read the venom on here and decided to not pick one up. The detractors convinced me that Apple is far better at marketing than actually making computers, so some lucky fool got mine at 3:00 pm, when my reservation ended.

A shame, really, I reserved it under the assumption that a $500 purchase would change my life. I know that some folks on this site will bet 40% of that on a UFC match at the advice of random innernet strangers, but not me. For $500, this thing had better CHANGE MY LIFE.

So, thank you, haters. You have set me straight. I'll have to settle for plunking down almost that much money for a Netbook that will quickly develop all the same problems my old Windows-based computers had. But...at least I won't be a fanboy or something equally bad in your eyes.

You idiots.

Did anybody take the ipad outdoors? I am not looking to bash anyone or the product. On a nice sunny day, I think it would be great to take this device or one like it outdoors to read/surf/etc. So does this thing work outdoors on a sunny day?

I actually had one on reserve, then read the venom on here and decided to not pick one up. The detractors convinced me that Apple is far better at marketing than actually making computers, so some lucky fool got mine at 3:00 pm, when my reservation ended.

A shame, really, I reserved it under the assumption that a $500 purchase would change my life. I know that some folks on this site will bet 40% of that on a UFC match at the advice of random innernet strangers, but not me. For $500, this thing had better CHANGE MY LIFE.

So, thank you, haters. You have set me straight. I'll have to settle for plunking down almost that much money for a Netbook that will quickly develop all the same problems my old Windows-based computers had. But...at least I won't be a fanboy or something equally bad in your eyes.

You idiots.
Is the idiot the guy who's going to pay $500 for a very limited, over-hyped and over-priced device or the guy whose going to pay $500 for a device that does everything? I think we ALL know who the real idiots are here. The cult of mac is strong - as bad as Scientology. Maybe they are the same? Hmmm....

Did anybody take the ipad outdoors? I am not looking to bash anyone or the product. On a nice sunny day, I think it would be great to take this device or one like it outdoors to read/surf/etc. So does this thing work outdoors on a sunny day?
At first it was tough to see in direct sunlight. I turned up the brightness and it was a whole lot better. Obviously none of these devices will be ideal in direct sunlight.

You idiots.
Is the idiot the guy who's going to pay $500 for a very limited, over-hyped and over-priced device or the guy whose going to pay $500 for a device that does everything? I think we ALL know who the real idiots are here. The cult of mac is strong here - as bad as Scientology. Maybe they are the same? Hmmm....
I'm pretty sure the idiots are the ones debating over whether a human OTHER THAN HIMSELF OR HERSELF is wasting their money on a $500 IPad as opposed to a $399 Netbook in a thread about reviewing the iPad, apps and tips.

Haven't used it outdoors, but I have a feeling it wouldn't be good in the sun. So in places with no shade it probably isn't a good fit.

You idiots.
Is the idiot the guy who's going to pay $500 for a very limited, over-hyped and over-priced device or the guy whose going to pay $500 for a device that does everything? I think we ALL know who the real idiots are here. The cult of mac is strong here - as bad as Scientology. Maybe they are the same? Hmmm....
I'm pretty sure the idiots are the ones debating over whether a human OTHER THAN HIMSELF OR HERSELF is wasting their money on a $500 IPad as opposed to a $399 Netbook in a thread about reviewing the iPad, apps and tips.
I was expecting a better response. A little disappointed as that was real lame. You could have just told me to shut up, taken your ball IPad and gone home.

Planned obsolescence is the true brilliance of the Apple marketing machine: Certainly their products are innovative, but they could easily launch this product with twice the storage capacity and it would cost them about 12 cents extra to do so. Instead, this product will be replaced in 13 months by a unit with twice the storage, twice the price, and all the people who bought today will just get up and buy a new one.

I actually had one on reserve, then read the venom on here and decided to not pick one up. The detractors convinced me that Apple is far better at marketing than actually making computers, so some lucky fool got mine at 3:00 pm, when my reservation ended.A shame, really, I reserved it under the assumption that a $500 purchase would change my life. I know that some folks on this site will bet 40% of that on a UFC match at the advice of random innernet strangers, but not me. For $500, this thing had better CHANGE MY LIFE.So, thank you, haters. You have set me straight. I'll have to settle for plunking down almost that much money for a Netbook that will quickly develop all the same problems my old Windows-based computers had. But...at least I won't be a fanboy or something equally bad in your eyes.You idiots.
Don't take it out on us because you reserved something you couldn't afford. Save up, you can get one soon...

Haven't used it outdoors, but I have a feeling it wouldn't be good in the sun. So in places with no shade it probably isn't a good fit.
Thanks Redding and Moderated. It sounds like I could take the ipad outside as along as the sun is not at my back.eta: glad to hear people are enjoying their new purchase. :popcorn: :thumbup:

You idiots.
I was expecting a better response. A little disappointed as that was real lame. You could have just told me to shut up, taken your ball and gone home.
If you were really hoping for something better, it was clearly over your head. Let me simplify it for you. Why are you wasting your incredible technical knowledge and Anti-Apple coercion in a thread created for people who already purchased the iPad?

I actually had one on reserve, then read the venom on here and decided to not pick one up. The detractors convinced me that Apple is far better at marketing than actually making computers, so some lucky fool got mine at 3:00 pm, when my reservation ended.A shame, really, I reserved it under the assumption that a $500 purchase would change my life. I know that some folks on this site will bet 40% of that on a UFC match at the advice of random innernet strangers, but not me. For $500, this thing had better CHANGE MY LIFE.So, thank you, haters. You have set me straight. I'll have to settle for plunking down almost that much money for a Netbook that will quickly develop all the same problems my old Windows-based computers had. But...at least I won't be a fanboy or something equally bad in your eyes.You idiots.
Don't take it out on us because you reserved something you couldn't afford. Save up, you can get one soon...
Golly, couldn't you let me in on your wonderful secret? You were the guy who got one early, and apparently free, when nobody else could...right?

I find it funny that moderated is signing the praises of the iPad, as long as he doesn't have to quote a post to do it.

Planned obsolescence is the true brilliance of the Apple marketing machine: Certainly their products are innovative, but they could easily launch this product with twice the storage capacity and it would cost them about 12 cents extra to do so. Instead, this product will be replaced in 13 months by a unit with twice the storage, twice the price, and all the people who bought today will just get up and buy a new one.
So they are trying to maximize their profits? Say hello to every company in the world.

Why are folks in here so angry? If you don't want one, don't get one. Pretty easy. Go find another thread to pee in. I think it's s great device thus far.

Wouldn't it be nice if on Vacaiton you didn't have to carry your macbook, iPad and iPod and you could just plug your iPod in and synch with your iPad. That woudl be nice.
I imagine your ipad and ipod would already be synched before you go on vacation. Unless you plan on downloading a bunch of new stuff, while on vacation, I'm not seeing the issue.

Golly, couldn't you let me in on your wonderful secret? You were the guy who got one early, and apparently free, when nobody else could...right?
Yeah, get a job with a major internet company. Oh, and FYI: Just because "you" couldn't get one early doesn't mean "nobody else could".Save your money and get v2.0 of the iPad since you can't afford this one anyways.

I imagine your ipad and ipod would already be synched before you go on vacation. Unless you plan on downloading a bunch of new stuff, while on vacation, I'm not seeing the issue.
OF COURSE you wouldn't.

So they are trying to maximize their profits? Say hello to every company in the world.
I think you're missing the point. Maybe fanboys should demand more, not less for their hard-earned money.Let me help you with THIS.

Yeah, get a job with a major internet company. Oh, and FYI: Just because "you" couldn't get one early doesn't mean "nobody else could".Save your money and get v2.0 of the iPad since you can't afford this one anyways.
Oh, a major Internet company! That makes sense...those companies never let you mention their names. ...and since you decided to get personal...1) While there's nothing wrong with manual labor, working as a cart guy/greeter for Wal-Mart does not make you an employee at a major Internet company just because they opened a Verizon kiosk.2) As your reading comprehension isn't the best, I didn't state that I couldn't. I stated that I didn't. In case your sarcasm comprehension is at the same level as your reading comprehension, I didn't really let the haters sway me...I simply planned my day poorly.3) "Anyway" isn't a noun, it's an adverb. So pluralizing it is neither necessary nor grammatically correct.EDIT: ..and damn...I didn't connect the "couldn't" with the "early" part. Is whatever you have contagious?

Why are folks in here so angry? If you don't want one, don't get one. Pretty easy. Go find another thread to pee in. I think it's s great device thus far.
Says the guy who pissed all over the Droid without having tried one.

OF COURSE you wouldn't.
:lmao: Not being able to synch your ipod with your ipad, while on vacation is a non existent complaint. Or at least one so petty that discounting it is required.

Users who are viewing this thread