What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

iPad (2 Viewers)

The way they do the multiple windows serves the same purpose as tabbed browsing, so that knock isn't really valid.
[disclaimer]Not a hater - semi fan[/disclaimer]I use my iphone a ton and couldn't disagree more. While it's neat you can save a bunch of pages to later flip back and forth to, it's nowhere close to tabbed browsing.I might go walk past the apple store tonight and see what the crowds are like so I can get feel my way around one.

Still really impressed with this thing. Apple hit it out of the park.
It really is a perfect entertainment device.I've never used a touchpad device and it's just natural to use.

I really doubt any of the detractors have used one. If people get it out of their head that it's not supposed to be a workstation they will realize how well it does what it's supposed to...entertain.
Wrong.
So you used one that was chained to a desk without most of the apps. I really don't believe you even used one as app developers weren't given units pre release.

So Apple is waiting/hoping HTML 5 becomes the standard so people will stop complaining about the lack of flashplayer? Love my iPhone, but wouldn't spend the :thumbup: for the 3g iPad when you can pay $300 more and get a full blown Macbook....or....spend way less :moneybag: and get a netbook or windows laptop.

Last edited by a moderator:
It really is a perfect entertainment device.I've never used a touchpad device and it's just natural to use.

I really doubt any of the detractors have used one. If people get it out of their head that it's not supposed to be a workstation they will realize how well it does what it's supposed to...entertain.
Wrong.
So you used one that was chained to a desk without most of the apps. I really don't believe you even used one as app developers weren't given units pre release.
I'm not an apple app dev, so you are right, that's not why I got to use one for the past couple of weeks. Good call.Oh, and FYI, they weren't chained to a desk either. That's hyperbole at it's finest.

The way they do the multiple windows serves the same purpose as tabbed browsing, so that knock isn't really valid.
[disclaimer]Not a hater - semi fan[/disclaimer]I use my iphone a ton and couldn't disagree more. While it's neat you can save a bunch of pages to later flip back and forth to, it's nowhere close to tabbed browsing.I might go walk past the apple store tonight and see what the crowds are like so I can get feel my way around one.
I use tabs all the time. This isn't much different at all. It's one more button to push and its seamless.I don't know how it is on the iPhone as I've never used one.

Wrong.
Yep, he's FOS. Welcome to the internet.

I'm not an apple app dev, so you are right, that's not why I got to use one for the past couple of weeks. Good call.Oh, and FYI, they weren't chained to a desk either. That's hyperbole at it's finest.
fair enough, U must have different needs for this device then I do. I'm using it for general Internet and entertainment purposes, and for that it is almost perfect.

If the multitasking is the main beef it sounds like OS 4 is going to remedy that. Im sure it will be downloadable on the ipad. If not you can always jailbreak it and use backgrounder.

Can it do a network share and stream my ciontent from my pc or server?If not oob I'm sure an app allows it...
Anyone know, I'm curious, this would make me think about it in the next year?For example, on my phone I have an app that I can connect to my server and stream music, does the pad do this out of the box?

I had to hit the mall today and walked past the Apple Store and they had a line cordoned off to handle crowd control... the only people anywhere near the line were the :nerd:s that work at the Apple Store

I had to hit the mall today and walked past the Apple Store and they had a line cordoned off to handle crowd control... the only people anywhere near the line were the :nerd:s that work at the Apple Store
Mine too. Nobody was there because they sold out of iPads at 11:30.

Can it do a network share and stream my ciontent from my pc or server?If not oob I'm sure an app allows it...
Anyone know, I'm curious, this would make me think about it in the next year?For example, on my phone I have an app that I can connect to my server and stream music, does the pad do this out of the box?
doubt it. Orb Live is $9.99 for iPhone so it wil be $20 for iPad (I have no idea here)

fair enough, U must have different needs for this device then I do. I'm using it for general Internet and entertainment purposes, and for that it is almost perfect.
Don't you have a laptop that can do the exact same thing?

I don't have any need for it. However I did say the web experience was better than i expected. The keyboard seemed dreadful though.Didn't get to do a ton with apps on it, obviously (other than my employers stuff).

Mine too. Nobody was there because they sold out of iPads at 11:30.
One of the guys was holding one, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they had any for sale... but I would imagine that if they were sold out, they would have taken the ropes down and put those guys to work some other way. and FTR - I'm a big fan of Apple products. I'd rather go a year without beer than a week without my iPhone. That said, I still don't get the appeal of the iPad. From what I've heard, it's one of those things you just have to try to "get" I'll have to check it out some day, but this seems pretty different from other Apple products. With things like the iPod and iPhone, the benefits were obvious and intuitive. I can't say the same for the iPad.

“It’s beyond technology. It’s a culture. It’s a community,” said Rey Gutierrez, a die-hard loyalist with a tattoo of the Apple logo on his left hand, who had waited outside the San Francisco Apple store since 4 a.m. “No other company can drop a device and generate this much energy. Every big brand is envious of what Apple can do.” OOF
:rolleyes:I thought Otis live in New York?

i have had multiple laptops but none of them compare as far as seamlessly integrating all the different forms of entertainment that the ipad does.The transitions from doing one thing to the next is unparalleled. browsing, movies and video, games, magazines, books, etc are all done exceptionally well on this thing and all at the tip of your fingers.I'm not going to be working on it or typing long articles on the touchpad keyboard (the dock keyboard will work fine for that if someone wants to do a lot of typing on it). I, and i assume most others, are using it for entertainment.

I'm not an apple app dev, so you are right, that's not why I got to use one for the past couple of weeks. Good call.

Oh, and FYI, they weren't chained to a desk either. That's hyperbole at it's finest.
i have had multiple laptops but none of them compare as far as seamlessly integrating all the different forms of entertainment that the ipad does.The transitions from doing one thing to the next is unparalleled. browsing, movies and video, games, magazines, books, etc are all done exceptionally well on this thing and all at the tip of your fingers.

I'm not going to be working on it or typing long articles on the touchpad keyboard (the dock keyboard will work fine for that if someone wants to do a lot of typing on it). I, and i assume most others, are using it for entertainment.
Did anyone teach you how to use those laptops?

I'm not an apple app dev, so you are right, that's not why I got to use one for the past couple of weeks. Good call.

Oh, and FYI, they weren't chained to a desk either. That's hyperbole at it's finest.
i have had multiple laptops but none of them compare as far as seamlessly integrating all the different forms of entertainment that the ipad does.The transitions from doing one thing to the next is unparalleled. browsing, movies and video, games, magazines, books, etc are all done exceptionally well on this thing and all at the tip of your fingers.

I'm not going to be working on it or typing long articles on the touchpad keyboard (the dock keyboard will work fine for that if someone wants to do a lot of typing on it). I, and i assume most others, are using it for entertainment.
If you seriously think any laptop integrates everything so smoothly then i don't know what to say. Also no laptop has the access to the apps that are also integrated so well.i'm actually very computer literate and if you want entertainment your laptop can't even hold a candle to the ipad.

At the same time the ipad can't hold a candle to a laptop for work related activities. They both have a purpose.

i have had multiple laptops but none of them compare as far as seamlessly integrating all the different forms of entertainment that the ipad does.The transitions from doing one thing to the next is unparalleled. browsing, movies and video, games, magazines, books, etc are all done exceptionally well on this thing and all at the tip of your fingers.I'm not going to be working on it or typing long articles on the touchpad keyboard (the dock keyboard will work fine for that if someone wants to do a lot of typing on it). I, and i assume most others, are using it for entertainment.
I guess I don't understand what you mean by seamlessly integrating. So a laptop means you have to "click' an icon (of the activity you want to do) with your mouse (using your fingers) but the IPad allows you to "touch" it instead (with your fingers)? What's the difference?

I guess I don't understand what you mean by seamlessly integrating. So a laptop means you have to "click' an icon (of the activity you want to do) with your mouse (using your fingers) but the IPad allows you to "touch" it instead (with your fingers)? What's the difference?
Seriously use one for a day and give it a shot. You'll understand then.

If you seriously think any laptop integrates everything so smoothly then i don't know what to say. Also no laptop has the access to the apps that are also integrated so well.

i'm actually very computer literate and if you want entertainment your laptop can't even hold a candle to the ipad.

At the same time the ipad can't hold a candle to a laptop for work related activities. They both have a purpose.
It seems to me (from what I'm reading) the IPad does a subset of what an actual laptop can do - nothing more. Yet it's more expensive for less functionality? And this is THE device to have? I'm just not sure what this device is for.Here's something CNN had on it.

If you seriously think any laptop integrates everything so smoothly then i don't know what to say. Also no laptop has the access to the apps that are also integrated so well.i'm actually very computer literate and if you want entertainment your laptop can't even hold a candle to the ipad.

How good does it look when you connect it to your TV?

Broke down and picked one up earlier today. Most amazing piece of technology I've held in my hands. Been browsing the web and playing games all day. Even read a few pages of en e-book.

Broke down and picked one up earlier today. Most amazing piece of technology I've held in my hands. Been browsing the web and playing games all day. Even read a few pages of en e-book.
That's some amazing stuff. Bet it was seamless too.

It really is a perfect entertainment device.I've never used a touchpad device and it's just natural to use.I really doubt any of the detractors have used one. If people get it out of their head that it's not supposed to be a workstation they will realize how well it does what it's supposed to...entertain.
Seems to be crippled if that's all it's for. Small screen, limited space, no buttons for gaming, etc, etc. I've said it a lot but if you at home why not stream to your TV versus using this thing? IF your out and about do you really want to carry it everywhere you go? I already had one guy say he wouldn't have it around the pool when I was asking about reading on it. So is the beach out, the ski slopes, etc? IF it's not the best entertainment device in the house and it's not pretty portable then what is it really for?I'll have a good hands on Monday and maybe it'll change my mind.

Wrong.
Link or proof they were not? It was my understanding they were.

I use tabs all the time. This isn't much different at all. It's one more button to push and its seamless.I don't know how it is on the iPhone as I've never used one.
Just one more button. Sounds like a stop backwards. Plus I generally have 10-15 tabs open in my normal browser if not more. Will that be an issue?

Uh...yeah. At the tip of my fingers. Beautiful screen as well. Just sitting back on the couch with it in my lap watching Butler M State. Jobs has done it again, folks.

It really is a perfect entertainment device.I've never used a touchpad device and it's just natural to use.I really doubt any of the detractors have used one. If people get it out of their head that it's not supposed to be a workstation they will realize how well it does what it's supposed to...entertain.
Another question about it being the perfect entertainment device. Does it still only support limited codecs for video and audio?

If the multitasking is the main beef it sounds like OS 4 is going to remedy that. Im sure it will be downloadable on the ipad. If not you can always jailbreak it and use backgrounder.
Apple supports jailbreaking? Seems a long way to go to get a device to work the way it should.

Uh...yeah. At the tip of my fingers. Beautiful screen as well. Just sitting back on the couch with it in my lap watching Butler M State. Jobs has done it again, folks.
sit on your couch AND watch BB? :goodposting:

Another question about it being the perfect entertainment device. Does it still only support limited codecs for video and audio?
And I'll just add my question onto here. If it is the perfect entertainment device, how well does it connect to your TV? Does it support HD? Blu-ray? What about your stereo? 5.1 sound? What about the entertaining .wmv attachments I get emailed to me? Does it support those? I'd hope that the perfect entertainment device would support these pretty basic things.

I have no idea

If you seriously think any laptop integrates everything so smoothly then i don't know what to say. Also no laptop has the access to the apps that are also integrated so well.i'm actually very computer literate and if you want entertainment your laptop can't even hold a candle to the ipad.At the same time the ipad can't hold a candle to a laptop for work related activities. They both have a purpose.
Can you explain? How is the experience any different that droping icons on the desktop and launching the proper app? That's what I did when my kids where younger so they could navigate their laptops easily.There are great video and music apps for all OS's so to say this manages it better seems to be a stretch. Not to mention you still have 4:3 video right? No flac support? I just bought the last season of the Sopranos on DVD how easy is it to watch on the iPad? Exactly what would I have to do in order to view it?

Apple supports jailbreaking? Seems a long way to go to get a device to work the way it should.
The way you think it should work <> the way Apple intended it to work.I'd assume that it does exactly what Apple wanted it to. It's not for you because it doesn't work the way you want it to. To some people, the limited functionality + the "entertainment value" is all they need, not to mention the status symbol of it.I don't really "get it" myself, and don't see myself buying one anytime soon, if at all, but the anti-iPad sentiment in here is absolutely ridiculous. The product isn't for you. You won't buy it. The product is perfect for someone else. They'll buy it. Apple will build a quality product and make like a bazillion dollars. /story

+1 :yawn: Since Mrs.One and I share a desktop computer we needed a secondary device mainly for e-reading, browsing & email BAD.

...& WOW, this KILLS IT. The rest of the device is all bonus. Easily the best $499 I've spent in a while.

Here are some thoughts off the top of my head...

Goods:

Typing isn't nearly as hard as I thought it'd be, I'm flying on the keyboard as we speak.

The whole OS is snappy and crisp.

Both core and 3rd party apps are fluid and intuitive. Here's a few app screen shots I took earlier..

ABC

USA Today

NatGEO

iBooks

ESPN

iTunes Store

Battery seems great. 100% charged out of the box.

Most of the new iPad apps rock. (I love the ABC Player. Just watched the last episode of LOST in HD.)

Holding it isn't a problem at all.

The few games I've played are pretty cool. Touch screen Civ has been fun today.

It doesn't get hot ...at all. Actually feels cold sometimes.

Images and sites look much better on here than my desktop.

The browser and iPad websites are SO clean and responsive.

Bads:

Can't stream video & audio from my main PC like you can do from iTunes on laptops.

Old iPhone apps look ghetto.

Some new iPad apps cost money unlike their iPhone counterparts.

Typing while upright > Typing on your back. Upright I type with all 10 fingers, lying down I use 4. When the iPad is sitting on your stomach it's hard to get your hands low enough to type with all 10.

Though probably not for everyone, it's perfect for what we plan for it, plus it's SO much nicer than some cheap $500 laptop.

I've been entertained all day. :D

+1 :yawn: Since Mrs.One and I share a desktop computer we needed a secondary device mainly for e-reading, browsing & email BAD.

...& WOW, this KILLS IT. The rest of the device is all bonus. Easily the best $499 I've spent in a while.

Here are some thoughts off the top of my head...

Goods:

Typing isn't nearly as hard as I thought it'd be, I'm flying on the keyboard as we speak.

The whole OS is snappy and crisp.

Both core and 3rd party apps are fluid and intuitive. Here's a few app screen shots I took earlier..

ABC

USA Today

NatGEO

iBooks

ESPN

iTunes Store

Battery seems great. 100% charged out of the box.

Most of the new iPad apps rock. (I love the ABC Player. Just watched the last episode of LOST in HD.)

Holding it isn't a problem at all.

The few games I've played are pretty cool. Touch screen Civ has been fun today.

It doesn't get hot ...at all. Actually feels cold sometimes.

Images and sites look much better on here than my desktop.

The browser and iPad websites are SO clean and responsive.

Bads:

Can't stream video & audio from my main PC like you can do from iTunes on laptops.

Old iPhone apps look ghetto.

Some new iPad apps cost money unlike their iPhone counterparts.

Typing while upright > Typing on your back. Upright I type with all 10 fingers, lying down I use 4. When the iPad is sitting on your stomach it's hard to get your hands low enough to type with all 10.

Though probably not for everyone, it's perfect for what we plan for it, plus it's SO much nicer than some cheap $500 laptop.

I've been entertained all day. :D
720 or 1080? Didnt' think it supported that. Thought it was a 4:3 ratio.

Users who are viewing this thread