What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

iPad (1 Viewer)

Why do you think you'd get a discount in the future if they offer an unlimited plan at a higher rate. Its not like you signed a contract or anything. They can kick you off of it at any time.
I am assuming that grandfather'd in means just that....that your plan will be unlimited for $30 a month. If they kick you off or change your price then you aren't really being grandfather'd in. So while they are charging people $35 a month, I'd be paying $30....that's a discount :)
you're grandfathered until they decide you aren't anymore. If they later offer an unlimited plan for $50, i'm willing to bet your bill goes up to $50 as well. think its naive to think you're now going to get unlimited data for the rest of your life for $30. prices go up all the time.
Then they need to use something other than grandfathered :shrug: Just going by what they called it. If that's not what they mean, then all bets are off.
Huh? You're currently grandfathered in. I think that's appropriate and I don't think that means forever. In 20 years you think you'll still be grandfathered in at 30/mo?Plans in just a year or so will look much different. With all of the data being used, networks are very likely going to switch to a tiered pricing scale, similar to what ATT was announced to have. Of course, ATTs is more of a hybrid system with some unlimited people still holding on but once they're ready to take the next step, they'll certainly be pulling the plug on it. Or make it much more expensive.

This thread is a hotbed for bizarre arguments. Can we just get back to talking how this device is the best thing since sliced bread, how they sold 2 million of them in the first month, and how everyone else and their mother are now racing to get lesser tablets to market with the hopes of getting a piece of the pie?

God Bless Apple and God Bless the United States of America

This thread is a hotbed for bizarre arguments. Can we just get back to talking how this device is the best thing since sliced bread, how they sold 2 million of them in the first month, and how everyone else and their mother are now racing to get lesser tablets to market with the hopes of getting a piece of the pie?God Bless Apple and God Bless the United States of America
Honest to God, why do people need this thing? What is it? Like a word processor that you can watch youtube videos on?

This thread is a hotbed for bizarre arguments. Can we just get back to talking how this device is the best thing since sliced bread, how they sold 2 million of them in the first month, and how everyone else and their mother are now racing to get lesser tablets to market with the hopes of getting a piece of the pie?

God Bless Apple and God Bless the United States of America
Honest to God, why do people need this thing? What is it? Like a word processor that you can watch youtube videos on?
Yes. It's a word processor. You can watch videos on it. It's a television. It's a walkman. You can draw on it. Play games. You can surf the internet. Get directions. Find locations. Plan a trip. It's a computer. It's a car stereo. It's a phone. It's a briefcase. You can take your files with you everywhere. Lots of them, in one little device the size of a magazine. Oh, it's a magazine. It's a newspaper. It's your e-mail. It's with you all the time. It guides you when you're lost. It tells you which roads have the bad traffic, and saves you time on the freeway. It's a remote control. Hell, it's a remote terminal. It's not a camera. Otherwise, it's $500-$800 that gets you just about every other gadget you need or want on a daily basis.Yes, I use it for all of these purposes above. Except taking pictures.

You are totally not going to get into the top 5 with a pitiful effort like that.
I just don't understand why anyone would want to lug this thing around.
your ignorance is refreshing.
I enjoy baking pizza but I'm not going to lug around a portable oven. I don't think it's ignorance to scoff at the need to be constantly connected.

Huh? You're currently grandfathered in. I think that's appropriate and I don't think that means forever. In 20 years you think you'll still be grandfathered in at 30/mo?
Not sure what your hang up is with this, but yes...unless otherwise redefined in the fine print, if someone is "grandfathered" that's exactly what it means...for life.

You are totally not going to get into the top 5 with a pitiful effort like that.
I just don't understand why anyone would want to lug this thing around.
I don't think you realize how much you ask the same question in here. Sorry for the bad quoting tags below, FBG won't let me quote this many things. :unsure: If we counted your tosberg alias (did you accidentally post as Tosberg here?), I think we'd have even more.
Code:
[quote name='sjacksonfan' date='May 30 2010, 06:26 PM' post='11889536']Still have no clue what this thing does.[quote][quote name='sjacksonfan' date='Apr 10 2010, 09:16 PM' post='11710172']What is it?  Like a Roomba you can watch movies on?[quote][quote name='sjacksonfan' date='Apr 10 2010, 09:13 PM' post='11710166']Still unsure what this thing does.  What is it?  Some kind of robot or something?[quote][quote name='sjacksonfan' date='Apr 3 2010, 03:36 PM' post='11683646']Can somebody explain what the point in owning one would be?  Seriously, I don't understand why people are going nuts over this.  It's a portability thing?  So you can watch tv shows on a plane or something?[quote]

Late to the party and thinking of getting one of these for my wife. Is this product affiliated with AT&T like the iPhone?

Huh? You're currently grandfathered in. I think that's appropriate and I don't think that means forever. In 20 years you think you'll still be grandfathered in at 30/mo?
Not sure what your hang up is with this, but yes...unless otherwise redefined in the fine print, if someone is "grandfathered" that's exactly what it means...for life.
Yeah, that's entirely 100% inaccurate. There's no contract. It's a month to month deal. AT&T can choose to offer the unlimited plan to those who have already purchased it for as long as AT&T wants. They are under no obligation to do so, and can change the terms of the offer at any time.

Yeah, that's entirely 100% inaccurate. There's no contract. It's a month to month deal. AT&T can choose to offer the unlimited plan to those who have already purchased it for as long as AT&T wants. They are under no obligation to do so, and can change the terms of the offer at any time.
Then they aren't "grandfathering" anyone and I agree it's dumb to pay the extra $5 a month.

nytimes - tech section

1:04 p.m. | Updated to reflect decision by AT&T to allow customers who order a 3G iPad by June 7 to purchase an unlimited monthly data plan.Since AT&T announced this week that it would eliminate its unlimited monthly data plans beginning Monday, June 7, some customers have been scrambling to get an iPad 3G with the hopes of signing up for the unlimited plan, which would be grandfathered in.But the iPad 3G is still in short supply. When asked about this problem on Thursday, an AT&T press representative said, “We are looking into this situation and how we can accommodate these customers.”According to an executive at the company, who would not be identified because the company’s efforts were still being discussed internally, AT&T was exploring allowing customers who pay for an iPad before June 7, but don’t get the device in hand, to still sign up for an unlimited data account. And on Friday, a company spokesman said the decision had been made. “AT&T will honor the $29.99 unlimited data pricing for customers who order iPad by June 7,” he said.So now consumers have until 11:59 p.m. on June 6, just three days from now, to order an iPad with 3G capability and sign up for the unlimited plan when they receive it.In an e-mail, Natalie Harrison, an Apple spokeswoman, wrote: “Demand for iPads has been off the charts. We are working hard to get iPads into customer’s hands as quickly as possible.”According to clerks at two Apple stores in Manhattan, small, sporadic shipments of 3G iPads are making it into Apple stores nationwide, while ordering online takes from 7 to 10 days to ship.Customers who do not order a 3G iPad in time will have to make do with two gigabytes of data transfer for $25 a month, which can be used up extremely quickly on the full Web expanse of the iPad.Users of the iPhone are not facing the same problem; iPhones are available, and in addition, many shoppers are likely waiting for the next generation iPhone 4G, which is expected to be unveiled on Monday at Apple’s worldwide developer conference.Also, data usage on an iPhone is much lower than on an iPad, because the iPad’s screen is larger and it has full Web browsing options. So iPhone users are not expected to be clambering to sign up for the unlimited plan.

Attending a WebEx meeting on the iPad app. Its just like on the computer when going through the slides. Its even a bit more slick when the host is switching between slides and other programs. Doing it over 3G. Its a free app and is working great.

Just got one these bad boys, can you guy point out some must have apps and features.

Cases and Docks to recommend?

Ive followed along this thread from the start but Im hestitant to go back and wade throught this thread though I probably will.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got one these bad boys, can you guy point out some must have apps and features. Cases and Docks to recommend?Ive followed along this thread from the start but Im hestitant to go back and wade throught this thread though I probably will.
I've made a couple posts with extensive lists of top apps. I can't dig back through and do it again. If you can find them, those same lists still apply for me. If you can't, blame the trolls who mucked up the thread.

Just got one these bad boys, can you guy point out some must have apps and features. Cases and Docks to recommend?Ive followed along this thread from the start but Im hestitant to go back and wade throught this thread though I probably will.
I've made a couple posts with extensive lists of top apps. I can't dig back through and do it again. If you can find them, those same lists still apply for me. If you can't, blame the trolls who mucked up the thread.
i will look, Appreciate your work in here. Big fan :thumbup:

i will look, Appreciate your work in here. Big fan :thumbup:
please link to it when you do, the wife's ipad just came in today.

Bump re: my favorite apps:

I'm absolutely loving the Pulse news reader app. I like it much more than early edition. Load up all your favorite RSS sources and it's a great interface.Air Sharing is great for transferring files over the Wifi network to the iPad and for viewing files. GoodReader is a great file viewer also, if you're doing a lot of work on it (like I am) reading PDF files etc. Weatherbug for weatherPandora for music NY Times Editors Choice for other newsSimplenote is great for typing up short notes, or draft papers/essays/etc., and e-mailing them to yourself.Also bought Keynote for giving presentations and Pages for word processing, though I never use Pages.That's my main page in a nutshell. Aroundme is good for finding stuff. Urbanspoon is good for finding food. Kayak for flights. All the movie sites have apps for buying movie tickets.iTeleport is great for remote controlling your PC desktop while at home (I've even done it over the 3G connection, but it's slow) -- this is how I play online poker on the iPad here and there.WhiteNoisePro a cool app for sleeping sounds.If you have Fios TV at home, DVR Manager is a must.Airvideo lets you stream movies from your PC over the Wifi to the iPad (which I then hook up to the plasma to watch movies).Words with Friends HD is fun if you're into scrabble. I uninstalled because I was playing WAYYY too much (thanks everyone).Whistle lets you make phone calls from it. (Plug in headphones that have a built-in mic (like that come with the iphone)).Those are my main ones. I have many pages of others, but this is all I've used much.Yes, Atomic Web is a good browser. I still use that mixed with Safari some.

I'm absolutely loving the Pulse news reader app. I like it much more than early edition. Load up all your favorite RSS sources and it's a great interface.Air Sharing is great for transferring files over the Wifi network to the iPad and for viewing files. GoodReader is a great file viewer also, if you're doing a lot of work on it (like I am) reading PDF files etc. Weatherbug for weatherPandora for music NY Times Editors Choice for other newsSimplenote is great for typing up short notes, or draft papers/essays/etc., and e-mailing them to yourself.Also bought Keynote for giving presentations and Pages for word processing, though I never use Pages.That's my main page in a nutshell. Aroundme is good for finding stuff. Urbanspoon is good for finding food. Kayak for flights. All the movie sites have apps for buying movie tickets.iTeleport is great for remote controlling your PC desktop while at home (I've even done it over the 3G connection, but it's slow) -- this is how I play online poker on the iPad here and there.WhiteNoisePro a cool app for sleeping sounds.If you have Fios TV at home, DVR Manager is a must.Airvideo lets you stream movies from your PC over the Wifi to the iPad (which I then hook up to the plasma to watch movies).Words with Friends HD is fun if you're into scrabble. I uninstalled because I was playing WAYYY too much (thanks everyone).Whistle lets you make phone calls from it. (Plug in headphones that have a built-in mic (like that come with the iphone)).Those are my main ones. I have many pages of others, but this is all I've used much.Yes, Atomic Web is a good browser. I still use that mixed with Safari some.
:thumbup:

Atomic web browser 2.0 is out, now with bookmark bar!!!

Never going back to safari on my iPad.
bump for poster looking for Must Have iPad apps.Haven't touched Safari in weeks.

ETA: make sure you go through all of the many Settings preferences.

Lots of ways to customize the browser to suit your needs...color, Full Screen mode,

customizable buttons, customizable finger gestures, etc...

ALSO, you can search IN PAGE for text (in the search field, change from Google search to "Search for Text in PAge" or something like that.

All of these things can't be done in Safari, afaik.

:blackdot: Thx for this Oats - buying an iPad for wifey for her birthday in two weeks and I'll turn her on to some of these apps.

Got one of these free with a purchast today. I have a netbook, regular laptop, desktop and a moto droid is is this worth keeping or ebaying it?

I love this thing. It took a little while to get used to it but im very happy so far.

I was viewing it like my iphone and trying to use apps in the same manner. Facebook, Cbs sportsline, and since they were iphone apps, i wasnt too thrilled with the appearance. Then i realzied that there isnt a need for these apps as i have a bigger more functional browser. :lmao:

The only issue i have is with Sirius online. Im cant get it work on either browser wondering if this is on purpose since there is an app you need to buy.

I normally just stream through my laptop from sirius.com, the page loads but no sound.

Apps that I agree with Otis on-

Pandora (will be excellent when they release the new OS).

White Noise Pro

Other apps I regularly use:

Scrabble -- Very nice port. If you have an Iphone or Ipad touch you can use those as the tile rack.

Carcassonne -- Just learning this game, but it's an excellent port. Iphone app, but the resolution is fine. Upgrade to Ipad optimized version will be free. I have a few other board game apps, but this is the most polished.

How to Cook Everything -- Iphone app and no photos, but the hypertext makes it an improvement over the (already excellent) cookbook.

Weber On the Grill -- More sizzle than How to Cook Everything. Very nice pictures. More limited, but it does cull recipes from multiple Weber recipe books.

Kindle -- My wife and I both own Kindles, but so long as we're at home, we generally read on the Ipad.

I also used a Mandarin phrasebook app while I was in Asia. Moderately useful.

Got one of these free with a purchast today. I have a netbook, regular laptop, desktop and a moto droid is is this worth keeping or ebaying it?
you got a free ipad? which version?
I will be here in a few days, I was told it was a iPad 64GB, won't know for sure what it is until it gets here on Monday.
What purchase did you make in order to score a free iPad 64GB?
bumpstill thinking about one for my wife. she's having surgery soon and might make good use of it while laid up.

Since the Droid tablets that I've wanted haven't come to the market I'm considering getting a 2nd gen iPad unless something better comes out. (no joke)

I found myself sitting with the kids on the couch a lot this weekend and watching golf/soccer and was annoyed at having my laptop there. A tablet almost seems like a necessity and I'm growing tired of seeing awesome Android concepts that never come to market. Hopefully the manufacturers get a serious one out soon.

Since the Droid tablets that I've wanted haven't come to the market I'm considering getting a 2nd gen iPad unless something better comes out. (no joke)

I found myself sitting with the kids on the couch a lot this weekend and watching golf/soccer and was annoyed at having my laptop there. A tablet almost seems like a necessity and I'm growing tired of seeing awesome Android concepts that never come to market. Hopefully the manufacturers get a serious one out soon.
:reported:

user name fraud is serious business. You can't hack into someone's account without consequences imo

:reported:

user name fraud is serious business. You can't hack into someone's account without consequences imo
:thumbdown: Unfortunately I'm serious. I'm going to wait for the next gen though and see what it offers, I use the 1st gen almost on a daily basis at work and I think with a few tweaks (iOS4 is a good start) it would be a great device...sort of what I figured the Androids would be but they just aren't coming out which is puzzling (I've heard it has something to do with tegra chip) and I'm tired of waiting.

"THIS IS NOT A FANBOY QUESTION!!!"

Skyfire was just recently released for android and some flash videos are now playable. All the ones that I have tried have worked.

Now I know that Apple and Adobe are on the outs but will there be a browser that will allow flash? I know this is the whole HTML5 vs Flash argument. I'm just curious what is in the works and if it's viable on the Ipad.

"THIS IS NOT A FANBOY QUESTION!!!"Skyfire was just recently released for android and some flash videos are now playable. All the ones that I have tried have worked.Now I know that Apple and Adobe are on the outs but will there be a browser that will allow flash? I know this is the whole HTML5 vs Flash argument. I'm just curious what is in the works and if it's viable on the Ipad.
I would say not without jailbreaking. No way Apple allows Flash support at this point.

Porn site Spankwire.com is now iPad friendly.

To kick off your maiden voyage be sure to enter Erin Andrews into the search field.

Bon Voyage. :lmao:

Users who are viewing this thread