What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is this the weirdest stat in sports history? (1 Viewer)

Since this started as a football forum, it might be good to mention this as far as the coach vs QB debate.

Joe Gibbs is the only coach in NFL history to win a Super Bowl with three different quarterbacks.
He's the best NFL coach of all time in my opinion. For this stat alone.

And then he went and formed and managed one of the best NASCAR teams of all time.

He's the best. Period.

Gordie Howe recorded a "Gordie Howe Hat Trick" (goal, assist, fight in the same game) just twice in his career.

Rick Tocchet did it 18 times and Brendan Shanahan 17 times. Milan Lucic has done it more times than Howe (3).
This is a good one and fits the "weird" category well.

The term Gordie Howe Hat Trick is a bit of a misnomer. In fact, he got into only 22 fights in his very long career, primarily because most guys were reluctant to fight him. And it wasn't because of the code of honor not to go after the star players - Gordie was a badass through and through.

Last edited:
The Yankees retired the same number, twice, twice.

They also have a monument in their Monument Park honoring a Cardinal that never played for the Yankees.

Don Mattingly, grand slams by season

1982 - 0
1983 - 0
1984 - 0
1985 - 0
1986 - 0
1987 - 6 <----- MLB single season record
1988 - 0
1989 - 0
1990 - 0
1991 - 0
1992- 0
1993 - 0
1994 - 0
1995 - 0 <------ Don made the playoffs once during his playing career
Just adding some fun to this.

Mattingly is the only Yankee to have his uniform number retired without winning a World Series.
I hate that you put this in words.

On the MLB Network biography of Mattingly it was heavily implied that the main reason Joe Torre did not want Mattingly on the 1996 roster was because he thought he had been too close to Buck Showalter.

Mattingly's 1995 stats weren't bad (albeit with zero power). It seems like there could have been a part-time slot for him on that World Series team.

Bonus stat: I regularly play golf with the punter who owns the second longest punt in NFL history of 93 yards (he's the pro at my club).
i golf with a guy who owns the record for throwing his club after a shot and getting it stuck in a tree about 40 feet off of the ground so put that in your pipe and smoke it take that to the bank bromigo
Pffft! I hold the international mini golf record for getting a windmill stuck 17.3 feet in a tree after it blocked my ball 4 times in a row.

On the MLB Network biography of Mattingly it was heavily implied that the main reason Joe Torre did not want Mattingly on the 1996 roster was because he thought he had been too close to Buck Showalter.

Mattingly's 1995 stats weren't bad (albeit with zero power). It seems like there could have been a part-time slot for him on that World Series team.
1994 was such a travesty as a fan of his. He was gonna get that ring.

I was at David Cone's perfect game. Before the game they were honoring Yogi Berra that day. Don Larsen was there, the whole of Yankee royalty on display. Several people presented Yogi with gifts.

The last gift was a huge framed collection of every ring he won in his career and there are alot. And Don Mattingly presented it. Only Yankee great without one presented Yogi with like 22 of them.

Ugh.

Expos were the clear favorite.

Expos were the clear favorite.
Lalalalalalalalalalalalala I can't hear you

• Laughing
Reactions: Zow
Think this fits the weird qualifier.

The current edition of the Detroit Lions (6-2, #2 seed as of this writing) are generally considered to have one of the best offensive lines in the league. Most publications have had them in the top 5 the last two years, PFF recently gave them a midseason rank of 2nd. Even in the 3-win debut season for Holmes/Campbell, they were thought to be Top 12.

That’s bc when they made RT Penei Sewell their first draft pick, they were adding him to a group that included two former 1st rounders on their second contract (LT Taylor Decker & C Frank Ragnow), a 3rd rounder who made the Pro Bowl in his 2nd year (LG Jonah Jackson), and FA with a hefty contract (RT Halapoulivaati Vaitai.)

The weird part:

In the 42 games Dan Campbell has coached Detroit, that starting group has started exactly one game together (2023 opener at KC.)

Last edited:
WR Larry Fitzgerald has more career tackles (41) than dropped passes (29)
That’s impressive, not weird. Get your **** together.
Both. The 29 drops is impressive. The 41 tackles for a wide receiver is weird.
I am curious where the 41 tackles comes from. His PFR page lists him with 0. He’s listed as having played one snap on defense and 20 snaps on special teams. I see the claims of more tackles than drops on social media. But I don’t see anywhere that he actually had any tackles.

I am curious where the 41 tackles comes from. His PFR page lists him with 0. He’s listed as having played one snap on defense and 20 snaps on special teams. I see the claims of more tackles than drops on social media. But I don’t see anywhere that he actually had any tackles.
ESPN shows 41. I assume some/most of these tackles came on turn overs.

But I don’t see anywhere that he actually had any tackles.

I learned today that tackles after turnovers might night be counted in the box score that we look at after the game. In the Dallas game, Michael Gallup and others were in the tackle box score and listed as having no tackles. But they were credited in my MFL league with tackles they made after a turnover. Could be an idiosyncratic scoring thing.

ESPN shows 41. I assume some/most of these tackles came on turn overs.

You beat me to this by like two seconds. I was typing out the post regarding why that might be the case. After turnovers.

I assumed it was true because of the awful QBs he was saddled with :lol:

From Wiki about Tippy Martinez:

A notable Martinez achievement during the 1983 season was picking off Barry Bonnell, Dave Collins and Willie Upshaw at first base in a single frame of a ten-inning 7–4 win over the Toronto Blue Jays at Memorial Stadium on August 24.[2] The Orioles, having replaced both their starting catcher and his backup while rallying to tie the game in the ninth inning, entered the tenth with reserve infielder Lenn Sakata in the game at catcher. Three consecutive Blue Jays hitters reached first base and each one, thinking it would be easy to steal a base on Sakata, took a big lead. Martinez picked off all three baserunners, then became the winning pitcher when the Orioles won the game on Sakata's home run in the bottom of the tenth.[3]

I assumed it was true because of the awful QBs he was saddled with :lol:
From 2004-2020, the Cardinals QB's threw over 300 INTs.
It makes sense that he got some tackles in.

This one happened this past Sunday:

Houston and Atlanta were the first two teams in NFL history to have the score 11-10 at Halftime.

Woz, is that weird enough for you?
Yep. And I'd throw in that, speaking of last weekend, the Cowboys/Rams game marked the first time ever that an NFL game ended 43-20.
There's a twitter account that's named NFL Scorigami or something like that, they track every game and will call out any games where the final score has never happened before (a scorigami), or a game where that final score has only happened a handful of times before.

If Wayne Gretzky never scored a goal, he'd still be the all-time points leader in the NHL.
I don't think I knew that.... I know it was ridiculous but I didn't know at that level
It was so ridiculous that back in that time my league for fantasy hockey made it so you drafted Goal Gretzky or Assist Gretzky. You couldn't have both in one because it was too big of an advantage.

I haven't seen any boxing stats yet. Here are a couple;

Mike Tyson, known as a fearsome puncher his whole career, is undefeated in fights that went the distance. All of his losses were by knockout (technical or otherwise) or disqualification.

And a little weirder...

75% of Sonny Liston's heavyweight title fights ended by first round knockout. Won the title from Floyd Patterson by 1st round KO, won the rematch by 1st round KO, lost the title to Muhammad Ali by 6th round stoppage, lost the rematch to Ali by (controversial) 1st round KO.

Baltimore Colts WR Blake Turner averaged 111 yds per catch in 1962

He was credited with 37 receiving yards with zero catches in one game after getting a lateral from his teammate who caught the pass. His only other catch that season was a 74 yd TD reception. 14 games played (primarily a return man) 1/111/1 stat line receiving.
His name is Bake Turner. I got curious based on this and tried to look him up on Football Reference and couldn't find him as "Blake". Had to google and realized it was "Bake".

Baltimore Colts WR Blake Turner averaged 111 yds per catch in 1962

He was credited with 37 receiving yards with zero catches in one game after getting a lateral from his teammate who caught the pass. His only other catch that season was a 74 yd TD reception. 14 games played (primarily a return man) 1/111/1 stat line receiving.
His name is Bake Turner. I got curious based on this and tried to look him up on Football Reference and couldn't find him as "Blake". Had to google and realized it was "Bake".
Somewhat related - I only realized within the last week or two that Terrace Marshall of the Panthers isn't Terrance with an "n". I don't know if my brain always recognizes his name as Terrance, or if I just assumed a typo when seeing it, but I heard an announcer say his name aloud during a Panthers game I had to rewind it to be sure.

I'm not sure it's "weird," but it was just an article I recently read and is interesting - Even with the stat, many guys would have killed for even a second of time playing a professional sport.

The shortest career in NHL history belongs to Greg Koehler who logged 4 seconds of ice time.

There was a similar thing in MLB I'm sure, where someone was called up to the minors as a relief pitcher, entered the game, tweaked something in his warm up pitches and was immediately relieved himself, then never played in the bigs "again"

Edit - that was moderately easy to Google

I'm not sure it's "weird," but it was just an article I recently read and is interesting - Even with the stat, many guys would have killed for even a second of time playing a professional sport.

The shortest career in NHL history belongs to Greg Koehler who logged 4 seconds of ice time.

There was a similar thing in MLB I'm sure, where someone was called up to the minors as a relief pitcher, entered the game, tweaked something in his warm up pitches and was immediately relieved himself, then never played in the bigs "again"

Edit - that was moderately easy to Google

Don't forget about Moonlight Graham..........

During the 1905 college football season 159 players were seriously injured and 18 had been killed. President Teddy Roosevelt intervened and demanded rules reform to make the game safer.

Georgia Tech (coached by John Heisman) beat Cumberland College 222 - 0

Cumberland College beat Tech in baseball (also coached by Heisman) and ran up the score 22-0. Cumberland then disbanded their football team for financial reasons and were released from their scheduled obligations by all opponents except for Georgia Tech. Heisman threatened to sue Cumberland for $700, a considerable sum at the time (1916) when you're broke. Cumberland got a fraternity to volunteer to take a train down and play Tech simply to fulfill the contract.

In 1917 Ernie Shore pitched in a Major League baseball game, recording all 27 outs while facing the minimum number of hitters possible. He only gets credited with a combined no-hitter though, and not a perfect game, because he came on in relief after Babe Ruth began the game pitching. Babe walked the first batter of the game, then got ejected for fighting the umpire over it. Shore came on in relief and went the distance, retiring every batter he faced.

Shore actually only faced 26 batters, because the baserunner that Babe walked got caught stealing.

Users who are viewing this thread