What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jamal Lewis (1 Viewer)

Raider Nation

Devil's Advocate
I am having trouble getting a read on Lewis this year, perhaps more than any other player. On the one hand, his numbers went from 1,552 total yards & 11 TDs in 2007 to 1,180 total yards & 4 TDs in 2008. On the other hand, an already-good offensive line (especially the left side) was bolstered by adding the best center in the draft in Alex Mack. He should beat out Hank Fraley in no time. I guess nobody is really sure how things will shake out with Mangini at the helm. That's another factor to consider.

Is there any chance Lewis will still be a fantasy starter you can count on week to week?

I am having trouble getting a read on Lewis this year, perhaps more than any other player. On the one hand, his numbers went from 1,552 total yards & 11 TDs in 2007 to 1,180 total yards & 4 TDs in 2008. On the other hand, an already-good offensive line (especially the left side) was bolstered by adding the best center in the draft in Alex Mack. He should beat out Hank Fraley in no time. I guess nobody is really sure how things will shake out with Mangini at the helm. That's another factor to consider.

Is there any chance Lewis will still be a fantasy starter you can count on week to week?
Apparently Mangini is really liking what he sees from Jerome Harrison. That's not to say that Harrison will be the starter, but I could see him carving himself out a Leon Washington role.

nothing Jamal does better than crush weak D's. Hopefully, he's still healthy

:rolleyes:

Yeah last year he crushed Den with 19 car for 60 yds and 1 td and Cin 16 car for 76 yds and 0 tds

Yeah last year he crushed Den with 19 car for 60 yds and 1 td and Cin 16 car for 76 yds and 0 tds
you have to hope their offensive line has improved from the unit last year. I would blame them for those dismal performances more than anything. The loss of Ryan Tucker hurt, while Shaeffer and Fraley both regressed. If I remember correctly, Steinbach missed that weak 10 game against Denver and they were really hurting upfront.Against Cincy, Jamal averaged 4.8 ypc and Dorsey threw 3 picks. Not sure who you are blaming in that one, but it's pretty clear to me that if your QB turns the ball over then your running game suffers.

you have to think that Mangini and Co. will have that OL in shape this year

He's horrible and should be phased out by the end of the year if James Davis can get some carries and show Pitter Patter Lewis how to run behind that OL (which is pretty good). Overall though the team is going to suck and they may not run as much as they want to.

Jamal Lewis will finish in one of two ways:

A) He can still get tough yards. The great thing from a unfantasy point of view, he will move the chains. From a fantasy perspective, I don't see the Browns getting to the goal line enough times to have any use. If the Browns offense clicks, he could project like '08 Hightower.

B) He sits on the bench all year or gets cut. Mangini put the team in rebuild mode with this years draft. Rebuilding teams always will cut veteran players in seconds. Harrison was a real solid player in relief of Lewis last year. Jason Wright should have been kept too though.

Jamal Lewis will finish in one of two ways:A) He can still get tough yards. The great thing from a unfantasy point of view, he will move the chains. From a fantasy perspective, I don't see the Browns getting to the goal line enough times to have any use. If the Browns offense clicks, he could project like '08 Hightower. B) He sits on the bench all year or gets cut. Mangini put the team in rebuild mode with this years draft. Rebuilding teams always will cut veteran players in seconds. Harrison was a real solid player in relief of Lewis last year. Jason Wright should have been kept too though.
Well, I believe the Browns are something like $15m under the cap, would save maybe 1m by cutting him, if that, and have already paid him 4m this year in a '09 roster bonus ---- I think the chances of him being cut are a little far fetched.

you have to hope their offensive line has improved from the unit last year. I would blame them for those dismal performances more than anything. The loss of Ryan Tucker hurt, while Shaeffer and Fraley both regressed. If I remember correctly, Steinbach missed that weak 10 game against Denver and they were really hurting upfront.Against Cincy, Jamal averaged 4.8 ypc and Dorsey threw 3 picks. Not sure who you are blaming in that one, but it's pretty clear to me that if your QB turns the ball over then your running game suffers.

you have to think that Mangini and Co. will have that OL in shape this year
Now this is a well thought out post.

I am having trouble getting a read on Lewis this year, perhaps more than any other player. On the one hand, his numbers went from 1,552 total yards & 11 TDs in 2007 to 1,180 total yards & 4 TDs in 2008. On the other hand, an already-good offensive line (especially the left side) was bolstered by adding the best center in the draft in Alex Mack. He should beat out Hank Fraley in no time. I guess nobody is really sure how things will shake out with Mangini at the helm. That's another factor to consider.Is there any chance Lewis will still be a fantasy starter you can count on week to week?
The tank is almost empty.I like the guy, and have been a fan, but there are some seriously hard miles on the odometer, and I think there isnt much left.I think he will be an adequate #2 fantasy RB for at least half the season, and starts to gradually lose carries to the other RB's in Cleveland, and is a #3 fantasy RB by year end. He may hang onto the starting job the whole year, but Next year I figure he will either be in a committee approach, or he will be a backup, or he will retire.The real sign of things to come will be the first 3 games. Minnesota , Denver, & Baltimore Two of which(Min & Balt) are tough Run Defenses. If he performs badly in these games, I'd expect his workload to be reduced.

Browns | Lewis played 2008 with bad ankle

Thu, 18 Jun 2009 15:46:40 -0700

Mike McLain, of TribToday.com, reports Cleveland Browns RB Jamal Lewis (ankle) played much of the 2008 season with an injured ankle but was able to play the entire season and had surgery during the offseason. When asked if his ankle hurt last season, Lewis said: "A whole lot. But at the same time I worked through it. The trainers were able to keep me rolling. I knew I had to get something done at the end of the season. It wasn't something that would take me out for the whole season."

Browns | Lewis played 2008 with bad ankleThu, 18 Jun 2009 15:46:40 -0700Mike McLain, of TribToday.com, reports Cleveland Browns RB Jamal Lewis (ankle) played much of the 2008 season with an injured ankle but was able to play the entire season and had surgery during the offseason. When asked if his ankle hurt last season, Lewis said: "A whole lot. But at the same time I worked through it. The trainers were able to keep me rolling. I knew I had to get something done at the end of the season. It wasn't something that would take me out for the whole season."
That would explain his lack of a burst through the line.What type of ankle injury we talking about?Sprained? Pulled Ligaments? Bone Chips?obviously if there was offseason surgery, it was bad enough... depending on the recovery times, it may not be worth our while to take a chance.

I think he could be had cheaply and could surprise. I wouldn't rely on the guy week to week, but he could be a solid RB3 with the potential as a decent RB2.

Users who are viewing this thread