What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jimmy Graham as a top of 1st Rd Draft pick (1 Viewer)

He went 1.06 last year in my oldest 12 team league last season

The guy that took him ended up with the best record (12-2) and finished 3rd in total points

I will begin to consider him at four.
I agree his value says he should be taken there I just don't think I got the stones to pull that trigger. If he performs like a avg TE then you blew ya 1st rd pick!
If the RB, QB, WR, or TE that you took top 5 performs like an average RB, QB, WR, or TE, then you blew ya 1st rd pick. Nothing is a lock. Graham has been a consistent stud the past few years and has an elite QB chucking the rock a ton. Definitely worth considering, although TE seems to be getting deeper each year.

I took Graham at 1.10 last year in my non-PPR, TD-heavy league last year. I would consider him in the middle of the 1st again in that league. If I can't get one of the top 4 RBs then I would definitely consider Graham at the same time as I was looking at Calvin.

To give context, I also owned Josh Gordon & Dez Bryant and Graham outscores them both despite playing injured for alot of the season.

Also, we need to be clearer about this 'TE is getting deeper' argument. Yes, you can now get startable TEs later & later, who will provide you with low-mid TE1 potential (700yds/4-6TDs). But Graham has 1400yd/20TD upside.

The 'TE is getting deeper' line is an argument for not picking a mid-level TE (Witten, Olsen etc) in the mid-rounds and getting the same production later. It doesn't mean you should turn down elite production early.

Last edited by a moderator:
IIRC Last year Graham was a consensus second-round pick in mocks over at Fantasy Football Calculator. This year he's routinely going at the end of the first and it's only June.

If this trend continues then come draft time I don't think it's going to feel weird at all to take him in the Top 5. In fact don't be surprised if someone starts at "Talk me out of taking Graham at #1" thread come August.

Last year he had the planter issue that fully didn't tear, he performed but his snaps were severely limited. That injury if not torn can't heal. Does anyone have an update on that planter?

Honestly, I'd be a lot more willing to take Graham in the early 1st if Gronkowski didn't have an ADP in the late 3rd. I know that Gronkowski carries a higher risk factor, but that's a MASSIVE discount for a guy who, quite frankly, even outproduces Jimmy Graham when they're both on the field. To put it another way, if you have the #5 pick, would you rather have Jimmy Graham and Pierre Garcon or Rob Gronkowski and Calvin Johnson? If you're someone considering Graham with the #1 pick, would you prefer Graham + Zac Stacy, or Gronk + Charles/McCoy?

Now, if Rob Gronkowski was going in the early-to-mid 2nd, then I could see a much stronger case for Graham in the first half of the first round.

Honestly, I'd be a lot more willing to take Graham in the early 1st if Gronkowski didn't have an ADP in the late 3rd. I know that Gronkowski carries a higher risk factor, but that's a MASSIVE discount for a guy who, quite frankly, even outproduces Jimmy Graham when they're both on the field. To put it another way, if you have the #5 pick, would you rather have Jimmy Graham and Pierre Garcon or Rob Gronkowski and Calvin Johnson? If you're someone considering Graham with the #1 pick, would you prefer Graham + Zac Stacy, or Gronk + Charles/McCoy?

Now, if Rob Gronkowski was going in the early-to-mid 2nd, then I could see a much stronger case for Graham in the first half of the first round.
:goodposting: This along with the fact that J. Thomas is going in the 3rd as well. There is no way, none what so ever, that I will even consider taking Graham in the 1st round knowing that.

I'll adjust if it comes around, but I think Gronk's ADP will rise as we get into August. If it doesn't it's absolutely something to consider.

:goodposting: This along with the fact that J. Thomas is going in the 3rd as well. There is no way, none what so ever, that I will even consider taking Graham in the 1st round knowing that.
Using today's ADP. When drafts roll around if Gronk is actually looking like a go week 1 he isn't going to be available in the 3rd round.

Graham outscored Thomas by 4.8 points per game and the gap drops like a stone after that. Calvin outscored Garcon by just 2.5 in my .5 PPR. Using the example above.

I'll adjust if it comes around, but I think Gronk's ADP will rise as we get into August. If it doesn't it's absolutely something to consider.
Yeah, once Gronk's ADP hits around 20 or so, the comparisons become a lot less ridiculous. By the time Gronk hits the early-to-middle 2nd, Graham's absolutely in play for me in the top half of the first.

In the meantime, though, he's free money for everyone with an early draft.

Except Gronk is about as far from a 'sure thing' as you can get.

And if, come week 3 of the pre season Gronk is good to go, he won't be going in the 3rd.

Using today's ADP. When drafts roll around if Gronk is actually looking like a go week 1 he isn't going to be available in the 3rd round.

Graham outscored Thomas by 4.8 points per game and the gap drops like a stone after that. Calvin outscored Garcon by just 2.5 in my .5 PPR. Using the example above.
True, but I picked that example based on forward-looking scoring, not rearward-looking scoring. Pierre Garcon is primed for regression from his league-leading 181 targets and is very unlikely to be anywhere near as productive next year. Julius Thomas will be in his second season as a starter and the Broncos are moving on from Eric Decker, so there's production to be had- we'd expect his numbers to possibly even trend up. And we aren't talking about Thomas, anyway. Thomas has a comparable ADP to Gronk and I easily could have used him in those comparisons, but I didn't because I agree that Graham provides a sizeable advantage even over Thomas.

We're talking about Gronk, though, and Graham only outscored Gronk by 1.5 ppg last year. And Gronk outscored Graham in both 2011 and 2012. Maybe future ADP won't be so out of whack, but as things stand today, I don't think there's any way to justify taking Graham at the top of the 1st when Gronk is routinely around late into the 3rd.

Agreed, but I'm not talking about taking Gronk over Graham straight up. I'm talking about taking Calvin over Graham (I would say that Calvin is as close to a "sure thing" as you can get), and then taking Gronk over Garcon in the mid-3rd.

I wouldn't take Graham over the top 3 RBs or Megatron, but I'd consider him at 5 (even though I tend to do mostly auctions now, not drafts). He does give you a huge advantage at TE, that is for sure.

Thomas will be in his second season as a starter and the Broncos are moving on from Eric Decker, so there's production to be had- we'd expect his numbers to possibly even trend up. And we aren't talking about Thomas, anyway. Thomas has a comparable ADP to Gronk and I easily could have used him in those comparisons, but I didn't because I agree that Graham provides a sizeable advantage even over Thomas.

We're talking about Gronk, though, and Graham only outscored Gronk by 1.5 ppg last year. And Gronk outscored Graham in both 2011 and 2012. Maybe future ADP won't be so out of whack, but as things stand today, I don't think there's any way to justify taking Graham at the top of the 1st when Gronk is routinely around late into the 3rd.
I think Thomas should be in the conversation at his current ADP in relation to Graham. Mainly because I've done my projections for these players and it plays out favorably. Perhaps others have different projections and this doesn't hold up the same. I agree that Thomas is likely to be more involved this year than he was last because of the loss of Decker. I also don't think Graham matches his career highs in YPR and TDs. Gronk

130 targets, 83 receptions, 1200 yds, 12 TDs

Graham

140 targets, 84 receptions, 1150 yds, 12 TDs

Thomas

110 targets, 75 receptions, 937 yds, 11 TDs

I agree that because of injury risk Graham is the play over Gronk despite my projections having Gronk with more points. There is a high amount of risk that Gronk simply won't play 16 games and the projections are for 16 games. That risk isn't worth 2 rounds of separation to me, though. I also don't think that the difference between Graham and Thomas is worth 2 rounds of separation. The difference is basically 2.27 PPG in PPR leagues.

True, but I picked that example based on forward-looking scoring, not rearward-looking scoring. Pierre Garcon is primed for regression from his league-leading 181 targets and is very unlikely to be anywhere near as productive next year. Julius Thomas will be in his second season as a starter and the Broncos are moving on from Eric Decker, so there's production to be had- we'd expect his numbers to possibly even trend up. And we aren't talking about Thomas, anyway. Thomas has a comparable ADP to Gronk and I easily could have used him in those comparisons, but I didn't because I agree that Graham provides a sizeable advantage even over Thomas.

The poster I quoted referenced Thomas.

We could arbitrarily use any player going in the 3rd round right now and project their numbers up/down for this season. With Sproles gone we could hypothetically project Graham for an increase in targets, receptions, and yards as well.

I agree with you regarding Gronk and Graham's ppg. We both know that isn't the point. Gronk has had several debilitating injuries and has played 18 games in the past 2 seasons. If you're drafting today then sure, grab Gronk in the 3rd and think rosy thoughts with him in your June lineup. Chances are you're starting a much lesser player at some point when the games count.

If he plays 16 games and is as effective as he was in 2011 then we all know you probably dominated your league.

We could arbitrarily use any player going in the 3rd round right now and project their numbers up/down for this season. With Sproles gone we could hypothetically project Graham for an increase in targets, receptions, and yards as well.
You can project anything you want. It's your projection! I'd actually like to see the projections people have for these guys, I've posted mine.I don't think it's wise to project more for Graham based on Sproles leaving or really at all. The reason being they drafted Cooks and are seemingly in love with him. At worst I'd say Cooks sees many of those targets.

Selecting Graham top 5 means you'll have him on about 60% of your re-draft teams. That's a big number; I like to keep it lower than 35% - and the lower the better. Any player could have season ending surgery after week 2, or generally have a bad season. I don't want said player screwing up too many of my teams. Therefore, I believe in diversification, especially with my early picks. I try not to reach too far for any player before I get to the bench guys.

So, no I won't choose Graham top 5 - unless I already have Calvin Johnson on a bunch of my teams.

what Adam said..

the thing is though.. if Graham is your guy.. you gotta take him at 1 or 2 or whatever.. unless you manage to work out a deal with someone a head of the draft.. but im not sure if thats colluding or not.

ala: im 2, your 5

I'll take Mccoy you take graham. I'll swap them and a later round guy .

but there is risk if your not back to back

Selecting Graham top 5 means you'll have him on about 60% of your re-draft teams. That's a big number; I like to keep it lower than 35% - and the lower the better. Any player could have season ending surgery after week 2, or generally have a bad season. I don't want said player screwing up too many of my teams. Therefore, I believe in diversification, especially with my early picks. I try not to reach too far for any player before I get to the bench guys.

So, no I won't choose Graham top 5 - unless I already have Calvin Johnson on a bunch of my teams.
wait what? why does it mean you'll have him on 60% of your redraft teams?

1000% agree with the second part, in redrafts never good to own too many shares of a certain player..

How about you take the guys you want, where you want him?

If you think he's worth it, who gives a rats ### what a collective of guys on a forum say.

Do you want a team of guys you WANT, or a team of guys you SETTLED ON?

If you think he's worth it, who gives a rats ### what a collective of guys on a forum say.

It's just good healthy fantasy conversation. We are all probaly in the process of setting our boards I like hearing other ideas on players just gives you other points of view

It's just good healthy fantasy conversation. We are all probaly in the process of setting our boards I like hearing other ideas on players just gives you other points of view
Of course. We are all here to discuss

But in the end, you should be making your own board and decisions. And like I said, I have zero issues reaching if its a guy i want to have, and not get a guy im settling on

I find in the 1st round there are more guys I want to get than picks I own.

FWIW: through four rounds in a 12 team ppr, I took Graham 5th overall. Thomas went 10th pick of round 2 and Gronk third pick of the 3rd.

Agreed, but I'm not talking about taking Gronk over Graham straight up. I'm talking about taking Calvin over Graham (I would say that Calvin is as close to a "sure thing" as you can get), and then taking Gronk over Garcon in the mid-3rd.
I may very well do that (Calvin and Gronk). Calvin is as close to a sure thing as you can get at the skill positions.

what Adam said..

the thing is though.. if Graham is your guy.. you gotta take him at 1 or 2 or whatever.. unless you manage to work out a deal with someone a head of the draft.. but im not sure if thats colluding or not.

ala: im 2, your 5

I'll take Mccoy you take graham. I'll swap them and a later round guy .

but there is risk if your not back to back
That's not collusion.

No draft pick trading. As somebody said in another thread recently, you are then held hostage by your draft slot. So maybe I think Graham is worth a late first round pick, or an early second round pick. But I have the 3rd overall. How do I take Graham where I want him? Hence the post about working out a deal/trade, since most people are going to value McCoy/Peterson higher than Graham.

I think that Graham and IfHealthy Gronk provide the biggest advantage of any players in FF relative to their position. I like the idea of skipping Graham to get Gronk, but if there are others of similar mindset you run a pretty good risk of Gronk not being there in the 3rd.

Monsters of the Midway said:
I think that Graham and IfHealthy Gronk provide the biggest advantage of any players in FF relative to their position. I like the idea of skipping Graham to get Gronk, but if there are others of similar mindset you run a pretty good risk of Gronk not being there in the 3rd.
It's certainly a risk, but if it turns out I missed out on an elite TE and had to "settle" for Calvin in the first, instead... you know, I can live with that.

Currently, it's not a huge risk. As of last week, Gronkowski was going 27th in MFL mocks, 35th in FFCalc mocks, 36th in RTS mocks, 41st in CBS mocks, and 40th in ESPN mocks. If you're picking from the 5th slot, you're going to have pick 29, which means you're a half round ahead of Gronk's ADP in all of those mocks except for MFL's (and even in MFL's, you're close enough to his ADP that there's a very good chance that he falls). And, of course, if you're picking before the #5 spot, you've got an even better chance of being able to land Gronk in the 3rd.

If you're in an MFL league, where Gronk seems to be going higher, you could grab him in the late 2nd just to be sure. MFL mocks go much heavier on the pass catchers, so based on MFL ADP, the alternative to going Calvin in the early 1st and Gronk in the late 2nd would be going Graham in the early 1st and someone like Keenan Allen in the late 2nd. And, again, I think I'd prefer the Calvin/Gronk side (although you could go Graham/Jordy instead of Graham/Keenan, which is a pairing I like better and which would make the decision much more interesting).

Either way, at Gronk's current ADP, you can even afford to reach on him to be sure you land him and I still like the pairings you'll walk away with better.

Gottabesweet said:
Last year he had the planter issue that fully didn't tear, he performed but his snaps were severely limited. That injury if not torn can't heal. Does anyone have an update on that planter?
I just googled and didn't see any updates...not sure if that means that there are no concerns? I think he has only missed two games in his career, but his ADP doesn't seem to reflect an already existing injury like Gronk's does IMO.

I'm with Adam, I would personally rather go for Gronk at this point in time and go elsewhere in the 1st. However, as already mentioned Gronk's ADP is likely to rise if he has no setbacks.

Going off the FootballCalculator ADPs (not sure how accurate that site is?) Cameron is going just outside the top 60 - that is the TE price most intriguing to me as I think he may have the situation/talent to approach Gronk/Graham production. Trying to get a read on how Kyle Shanahan will use TEs is kinda hard, the only major talent they had during their Skins era was Reed last year and I am not sure that is an apt comparison. Looks like Cooley had 850 yards the first year the Shannys were there. It feels safe to say that the Browns are unlikely to ignore the TE, so that leads me to believe there's a good chance that Cameron is the number 1 target when Gordon is out.

From the 2 whole.

2) McCoy

gronk

allen

Or

McCoy

gronk

Peyton/brees/Rodgers

Hubba hubba
Yeah...certainly a possibility.

I have a couple 3rds (12 team standard redraft), in one I think Peterson/Charles go first so I might well end up with just what you are describing there. Only I suspect Antonio Brown and/or Jordy Nelson will be there for me in the third (and the QB's will be taken by the 2nd)

Sounds good to me!

ebsteelers said:
cloppbeast said:
Selecting Graham top 5 means you'll have him on about 60% of your re-draft teams.
Depending on league format and where you look, Graham has an ADP between 8 and 15. Let's just say it's 12, for arguments sake.

If you take Graham at 5, naturally you'd take him at 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12. Eight out of twelve draft slots, 66%, you will get him, as long as he's available. But you have to consider sometimes player will go before his ADP, somebody else will reach. Not all the time picking 8-12 will you get Graham. I sort of guesstimated 60%, but the real answer probably rests around 50%.

If you'll forgive some nerdiness, I'll figure out a more exact answer.

According to fantasyfootballcalculator.com, the standard deviation for his ADP is 2.6. Assuming a normal distribution, we can get a z score for each slot.

z12 = 0, z11 = 0.38, z10 = 1.15, z 9 = 1.5 3, z8 = 1. 92, z7 = 2.3

We can take these z scores to a z table to determine the probability of Graham being available at such time.

p 12 = 50% , p11 = 65%, p 10 = 87% , p9 = 94%, p8 = 97%, p7 = 99%

Assume a 1/12 chance for each draft slot, and assume he's available 100% of the time when selecting 5, and 6.

p = ( 1 / 12 ) * ( 0.5 + 0.65 + 0.87 + 0.94 + 0.97 + 0.99 + 1 + 1) = 49%

So there you have it. You'll get Graham 49% of the time if you pick him 5th overall, assuming an ADP of 12. To me, that's still a little too high. If he tears his ACL week 1, he's screwed me in half my leagues.

According to Football Guys has Graham going 7th then 6th in PPR. Fantasy Calc has him at 9th and 8th PPR. So, I don't see how it's much of a stretch to take him 1-4 spots ahead of his ADP.

ebsteelers said:
cloppbeast said:
Selecting Graham top 5 means you'll have him on about 60% of your re-draft teams.
Depending on league format and where you look, Graham has an ADP between 8 and 15. Let's just say it's 12, for arguments sake.

If you take Graham at 5, naturally you'd take him at 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12. Eight out of twelve draft slots, 66%, you will get him, as long as he's available. But you have to consider sometimes player will go before his ADP, somebody else will reach. Not all the time picking 8-12 will you get Graham. I sort of guesstimated 60%, but the real answer probably rests around 50%.

If you'll forgive some nerdiness, I'll figure out a more exact answer.

According to fantasyfootballcalculator.com, the standard deviation for his ADP is 2.6. Assuming a normal distribution, we can get a z score for each slot.

z12 = 0, z11 = 0.38, z10 = 1.15, z 9 = 1.5 3, z8 = 1. 92, z7 = 2.3

We can take these z scores to a z table to determine the probability of Graham being available at such time.

p 12 = 50% , p11 = 65%, p 10 = 87% , p9 = 94%, p8 = 97%, p7 = 99%

Assume a 1/12 chance for each draft slot, and assume he's available 100% of the time when selecting 5, and 6.

p = ( 1 / 12 ) * ( 0.5 + 0.65 + 0.87 + 0.94 + 0.97 + 0.99 + 1 + 1) = 49%

So there you have it. You'll get Graham 49% of the time if you pick him 5th overall, assuming an ADP of 12. To me, that's still a little too high. If he tears his ACL week 1, he's screwed me in half my leagues.
BUT... a human can diversify over multiple leagues to lower that 49%... also unlike rookie drafts... most leagues you cant trade back or around or up or down.

so if you want Graham at 1 take him there cause he wont fall to 24 when you pick again. IMO

Curious to hear how you guys feel about Graham in FFPC leagues where it's 1.5 ppr and you can start up to 3 TEs per week.

I'm definitely considering Graham at 1.01 in these leagues. I also wouldn't rule out taking both Graham and Gronk or Thomas if they fell to the late 2nd/early 3rd.

Do we have an adp for leagues with this scoring system yet?

Curious to hear how you guys feel about Graham in FFPC leagues where it's 1.5 ppr and you can start up to 3 TEs per week.

I'm definitely considering Graham at 1.01 in these leagues. I also wouldn't rule out taking both Graham and Gronk or Thomas if they fell to the late 2nd/early 3rd.

you could almost come out the gates with graham, gronk and jules.

-----

I also had Graham last year and lead the league in points, paired with AJ green in the 2nd round

ebsteelers said:
footballman_696969 said:

-----

I also had Graham last year and lead the league in points, paired with AJ green in the 2nd round
Current 32 team auction, I've landed Dez and Graham so far. I expect to have gaping holes elsewhere but these two should be :moneybag:

ebsteelers said:
footballman_696969 said:

-----

Current 32 team auction, I've landed Dez and Graham so far. I expect to have gaping holes elsewhere but these two should be :moneybag:
yeah last year i was 1.11 got him there and green in the 2nd...

not sure how would work in auctions but if you have value guys 1-2 dollars, it could probably work out.

It also helped that I drafted Sproles who was solid early on, Woodhead, Fred Jackson, Vereen.

Basically just ppr rbs who got enough to make it work

Users who are viewing this thread