What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

John Brown Hype Train- Not as bad of reach as I thought (1 Viewer)

I took him at 88th overall in two drafts this week (8.04 in a 12-team PPR league & 7.04 in a 14-team non-PPR league). I like him a lot but wasn't conscious of especially targetting him.

Seems like everyone is in love with this guy heading into week one. I hope the Cardinals have enough cause to sling it around a bit. The Saints should give a good gauge as to the targets Brown will get, should be some free roaming past the second level. Maybe the Saints offense can make it into a mini-shootout.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got him at a reasonable price in both of my 12 team redrafts (2-3% of auction budget). I'm starting to worry that people are under valuing Mike Floyd and his previous production with Carson Palmer. Brown is still the #3 wr on this team

Well, I guess I'm aboard this hype train by default. Didn't mean to stay on board but must have dozed off and missed my connection so now it looks like it's full speed ahead to Brown Town.

Wait a minute ...

I guess it just depends how productive Fitz and Floyd turn out to be. Fitz is a year older and Floyd is hampered by injury. I think people like Brown because he seems positioned to scoop up targets from both those guys and make it into a 1a, 1b and 1c situation with Brown eventually emerging as the stats leader.

I don't know how much Arizona is going to be throwing the ball though. I'm sure they'd prefer to win with their defense.

In the first 5 minutes of the game he had 3-32-1. He finished with just 4-46-1. Didn't have a catch in the second half. I was pretty excited to see what that initially but kept waiting for that 50 yard catch that never game. What happened here? Looking at game pass:

2:01 1Q: He got underthrown on a TD that would have been 62 yards

11:19 2Q: He got interfered with on another one. Would have been an 18 yard touchdown.

Imagine he catches those. BUY LOW BOYS!

Imagine if he went. 6 -130 - 3

Because he was super close to doing just that.

He's been targeted on a 38 and a 42 yarder both thrown well by Palmer but both getting a PI called on the Bears defender.
He keeps getting the shots but they keep interfering with him so the Cards will continue to throw deep to him, it just doesn't help John Brown owners.

He's been targeted on a 38 and a 42 yarder both thrown well by Palmer but both getting a PI called on the Bears defender.
He keeps getting the shots but they keep interfering with him so the Cards will continue to throw deep to him, it just doesn't help John Brown owners.
The deep shots to Brown should continue to happen all year. He is blowing by his defender on the deep routes. Carson just needs to get the ball farther down the field. The two interference calls were because the ball was slightly underthrown.

Fantasy football leagues should incorporate pass interference yards and imagine they will at some point.Not sure any sites support yet

The deep shots to Brown should continue to happen all year. He is blowing by his defender on the deep routes. Carson just needs to get the ball farther down the field. The two interference calls were because the ball was slightly underthrown.
He was on the field the whole game, drew two pi on deep passes. This is as encouraging a 5 for 45 game I've seen. It does seem unlikely he will be a solid wr2 this year, but he is a nice wr3 with upside each week

He was on the field the whole game, drew two pi on deep passes. This is as encouraging a 5 for 45 game I've seen. It does seem unlikely he will be a solid wr2 this year, but he is a nice wr3 with upside each week
ya, if possible he's a guy to buy IMO if you can package something together. He's very close to some huge games...it's coming.

First off, I didn't see the game.

The first question that comes to mind is, while Brown may be able to "take the top off a defense", can Palmer? He's had those concerns attached to him before. He's not getting a lot of targets and this team has its fair share of big bodies for the red zone. In terms of being the future, he may have to wait a bit longer...

both games he played, he could've had big games if it weren't PI called. week 1 td pass PI. week 2 TWO PI deep passes.

Brown is reminding me a lot of T.Y. Hilton in 2013. In any given week he's capable of 150 yards and 2 TD's, and he'll likely have a couple of those games this year, but most of the other weeks he'll be what he's been in weeks 1-2. Basically a WR3, with WR1 upside.

Come on john brown, I'm benching some decent dudes now because I believe in your huge upside, now I need it as I have massive qb issues and need your big plays this week to give me a shot...

Thinking about starting him over matthews this week. Got a feeling this could be Brown's "blow-up" week.
Last week i played him instead of Allen Robinson and Amari Cooper, who both had awesome games. This week, for now, he goes to me bench for those same two players.

I suggest you play Brown with confidence.

Posted this in the assistant coach thread but figured I'd drop it here too.

Should I trade away Ameer Abdullah to get John Brown? This is standard scoring NON PPR 10 team league. We start 2 RB 2 WR and 1 flex which can be a RB/WR/TE.

Here's my RB's and WR's for context.

RB's:

CJ Anderson

Jeremy Hill

Arian Foster

Joseph Randle

Ameer Abdullah

Ronnie Hillman

WR's:

Randle Cobb

Donte Moncrief

Steve Johnson

Sammy Watkins

Cheers and thanks for any input!

Should I trade away Ameer Abdullah to get John Brown? This is standard scoring NON PPR 10 team league. We start 2 RB 2 WR and 1 flex which can be a RB/WR/TE.

RB's:

CJ Anderson

Jeremy Hill

Arian Foster

Joseph Randle

Ameer Abdullah

Ronnie Hillman

WR's:

Randle Cobb

Donte Moncrief

Steve Johnson

Sammy Watkins

You figured wrong.

RB's:

CJ Anderson

Jeremy Hill

Arian Foster

Joseph Randle

Ameer Abdullah

Ronnie Hillman

WR's:

Randle Cobb

Donte Moncrief

Steve Johnson

Sammy Watkins

You figured wrong.
Yes! I definitely wouldn't not avoid doing that.

Well I'm starting him, Hopkins and Julio over Moncrief and Adams. Going with him over Moncrief because I'll be kicking myself if I bench him and he goes off. Of course I benched him week one and started him last week.

Bloom mentions that Brown was huge at home last season. That, combined with the PI calls is enough to hope he's due for a big one

Well I'm starting him, Hopkins and Julio over Moncrief and Adams. Going with him over Moncrief because I'll be kicking myself if I bench him and he goes off. Of course I benched him week one and started him last week.

Bloom mentions that Brown was huge at home last season. That, combined with the PI calls is enough to hope he's due for a big one
Drafted him in 4/4 leagues dude.

I do want to say I play in leagues where we start 3WRs, I have him as my third everywhere, and I am loving that.

(benching VJAX in one for him)

This kid is the real deal.

He doesn't have the size of the big end zone targets, but they are incorporating him into the offense in other ways.

They sprinkle in an end around here and there, and often he is Palmer's first read, trust me I have been watching closely.

It is pretty much a given he is now the #2WR on the team. http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/stats/_/name/ari/arizona-cardinals

I know Floyd has been injured, but weren't they trying to cut bait with Floyd last year and trade him at some point??? (I can't remember specifically, but I thought they even tried to deal him preseason)

His blow up games are definitely coming.

TZM

Similar choice with Brown, Moncreif, and Watkins. Leaning Moncreif so Watkins should blow up.

I do want to say I play in leagues where we start 3WRs, I have him as my third everywhere, and I am loving that.

He doesn't have the size of the big end zone targets, but they are incorporating him into the offense in other ways.

They sprinkle in an end around here and there, and often he is Palmer's first read, trust me I have been watching closely.

It is pretty much a given he is now the #2WR on the team. http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/stats/_/name/ari/arizona-cardinals

I know Floyd has been injured, but weren't they trying to cut bait with Floyd last year and trade him at some point??? (I can't remember specifically, but I thought they even tried to deal him preseason)

TZM
I just released Floyd from a dynast team. I think he's kaput.

I really need Brown to step up, this week & for the balance of the season in all likelihood (Brandin Cooks is going to my bench, and I am doubtful of Brees returning to form this year). I accept that Fitz is still the man, but if Floyd starts getting regular targets, Imma freak out a bit.

I'll just say this. I'm glad the OP doesn't keep changing the title of this thread.

I think Brown is going to hit big this weekend. The thing is, Brown has been stirring the pot of this offense for two games. He's been very good it just hasn't shown in the box score. That won't keep up. I think he's going to nail down one of those 120+ games soon.

San Fran's defense is kind of an unknown right now. The short week early game to the far east last weekend had them coming out flat. I think that game was a bit of a mirage. I think they are better than the team that played Pitt. Right now my choices are Moncrief, Brown, or Watkins for my WR3. I got all over the place on those picks. Right now Moncrief is in, but it could very easily be Brown by gametime.

TZM
I think Floyd has just always rubbed Arians the wrong way. In dynasty, I'd still treat him as a valuable asset. He'll be starting somewhere next season.

TZM
I think Floyd has just always rubbed Arians the wrong way. In dynasty, I'd still treat him as a valuable asset. He'll be starting somewhere next season.
struggled with injuries last year and late in preseason, jury still out. 2 years ago was like a top 10 dynasty wr, way too early to pull the plug

TZM
struggled with injuries last year and late in preseason, jury still out. 2 years ago was like a top 10 dynasty wr, way too early to pull the plug
I disagree. He's had a few good games, but they are few and far between. I don't think he'll be on the team next year, and I don't see him making a big impact elsewhere. He will always be a low-end WR 2 at best but probably more like a WR 3/4.

I mentioned earlier in this thread, that I thought Michael Floyd had been "shopped" last year, and possibly this year as well.

I couldn't remember specifically, but I decided to Google it and see what I could dig up.

Here is what I found. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/01/report-cardinals-open-to-trade-offers-for-michael-floyd/

The above was apparently on and around May 1st this year.

Further digging about finding this or rumors on this matter last season (as I guessed or thought I recalled) didn't turn up much.

How does this affect John Brown???

Well, it just tells me that the AZ Cards just basically see Floyd as "just another staff WR".

Further cementing John Brown into a solid role in the future, which certainly seems like good news for us owners.

I am just speculating, but I don't know if he turns into a "true NFL WR1" just yet.

He doesn't exactly have the size to be a huge end zone target, but the fact that they try and get him involved a ton, and everyone praises him continuously around the team........well that should lead to solid WR2 numbers rest of season.

I firmly believe he will have some blow up games coming, but I feel his role will kind of slowly grow into that "Cardinals WR1", coinciding with Larry Fitzgerald and his career slowly tapering off.

I see him as a monster value where you got him in drafts, and in most leagues you could get him in round 9 and beyond.

His numbers were down last week, but he had roughly 80+ yards worth of pass interference penalties on his plays last week.

There is no doubt in my mind, but I think if those 2 penalties weren't called, then he would be firmly on everyone's radar, instead of flying just a bit under it still, like he is now.

TZM

Floyd is going to have one of those Kenny Britt type of career. Good enough to be in the league, but not noteworthy from a fantasy perspective.

Anyone watch the game? This offense is flying high right now but Brown simply isn't scoring fantasy points. He isn't trending the right way, that's for sure. Fantasy points have dropped three straight weeks. Meanwhile Fitzgerald is absolutely feasting and Palmer looks like he's 30 again. What gives?

Week 1: 4 for 46, 1 TD (97% of snaps. 7 targets).

Week 2: 5 for 45 (85%. 5 targets)

Week 3: 3 for 62 (70%. 5 targets)

Yep I watched it. You can see Palmer is wanting to get Brown more involved in the scoring but it just isn't quite happening right now. One 30 yard throw deep and wide into the end zone, Brown was clear and should've taken it but he seemed to take his eye off the ball last second or be distracted by the CB and ball bounced out of his hands. Very next play Palmer went to him again and he grabbed it around the 5 yard line and was brought down in agonising slow motion right at the 1.

Less sure about second half. It's just a matter of time to me though, Palmer is feeding him and I'm sure Fitz can't keep this up every week. Plus, Fitz is sure to be drawing even more attention from the oppo D right now. I'm sure lower targets this week was because score got out of hand

I've been starting Brown over Moncrief and will probably do so again this week. Get the feeling that as soon as you are tempted to drop him he'll go off BIG

I'd say Brown is taking the top off defenses, which is getting Fitz open a lot. Maybe it will trend the other way soon? Defenses focusing on Fitz because of his excellent start? I'm still rolling with him as my WR3. He's destined to have some big games.

That's interesting. I've been starting Brown each week and recently acquired Moncrief. So I'm stuck with that same decision. I feel like they both have potential right now. I feel like Moncrief is the lead dog on his team or at least 1a or 1b to Hilton. Brown isn't close to Fitzgerald right now. No way I'd drop him. In fact I'm thinking of adding him in a short bench league where I have had a revolving door at WR4.

But his stats have been very pedestrian. You can't keep using a guy who puts up 8 or 9 points when your other guy (Moncrief) is putting up 12 or 13.

In dynasty, also Moncrief is about 3 years younger. Brown is surprisingly old for a sophomore at 25 already.

I'd say Brown is taking the top off defenses, which is getting Fitz open a lot. Maybe it will trend the other way soon? Defenses focusing on Fitz because of his excellent start? I'm still rolling with him as my WR3. He's destined to have some big games.
He might have a big game coming but at what cost? He's WR38 right now, that's not WR3 numbers, that's WR4 numbers. He's near the likes of Tedd Ginn, Allen Hurns, and Kenny Britt. Yikes.

Anyone watch the game? This offense is flying high right now but Brown simply isn't scoring fantasy points. He isn't trending the right way, that's for sure. Fantasy points have dropped three straight weeks. Meanwhile Fitzgerald is absolutely feasting and Palmer looks like he's 30 again. What gives?

Week 1: 4 for 46, 1 TD (97% of snaps. 7 targets).

Week 2: 5 for 45 (85%. 5 targets)

Week 3: 3 for 62 (70%. 5 targets)
I am not concerned at all....well, not much.

The first game was close at times, note he was in for the whole thing pretty much.

The second game was 35-20 shortly into the 3rd quarter. (he also had a slew of PI penalties)

Was he taken out some later on? Probably so.

The third game was a blowout right out of the gate due to 2 defensive scores....and was 21-0 very early in the 2nd quarter.

In this game, he dropped one TD early on, and 2 plays later I watched in horror as he was wrestled to the ground at the 2 yd. line.

I don't like to play the "what if" game, but he easily could have had 2 more TDs on the year, and every bit of 120+ more yards.

If he had those, then we would be patting each other on the back saying what a stud the guy is and how shrewd we were to draft him.

Its a small concern, but if I hadn't seen any of this then it would be more bothersome.

On the Larry Fitzgerald note- To me it seems as if things are "breaking out just perfect" for Larry Fitz, where things are "breaking just wrong" for Brown.

It seems as though the defenses are worrying much more for Brown now, and its freeing up Fitz more, and he has basically hit on all cylinders thus far in his scenarios.

3 more weeks of this, and then I will get concerned.

TZM

Yeah, you have to be careful projecting what might have been. James Jones could easily have another touchdown too if his butt hadn't barely touched the ground on a play. Point being a lot of players are "this close" to putting up bigger stats. So I only go off the stats he does have.

Yeah, you have to be careful projecting what might have been. James Jones could easily have another touchdown too if his butt hadn't barely touched the ground on a play. Point being a lot of players are "this close" to putting up bigger stats. So I only go off the stats he does have.
The good news is that Carson Palmer is shredding defenses.

I absolutely look at those "what might have been" plays as an aggregate indicator that will eventually lead to real stat production. If it was just a one-time missed opportunity, that could easily be discounted, but Brown has consistently been interfered with on potential big plays.

Just going by current stats, Fitz is in pace for around 1,700/26. I don't think that will happen, and I'm betting on Brown to be the one who takes a chunk out of that.

Palmer's "feeding" brown???? WTH? In the 3 games so far, he's gotten 7, 5 & 5 targets... I don't call that "feeding" him.

Users who are viewing this thread