What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

John Brown Hype Train- Not as bad of reach as I thought (1 Viewer)

Ok, I have been high on this kid right out of the gate, as I alluded to before in this thread and I got him in every league.

Last week, his 7 catches on 10 targets and toss in a carry to boot, while the numbers weren't stellar, they were comforting in the fact that he is a feature part of their offense.

So today, I see a decent box score number. 13.30 in standard (but only 4 targets w/4 receptions and a td)

I'm not overly ecstatic by any means, but apparently Palmer was on the bench having a mixed drink in the 4th quarter.

(did anyone see the whole game??? etc. etc.)

I know the TD was in the 2nd quarter.

So although Brown had a decent day, its not the lightning bolt I expect soon.

I think we are going to see 120 + yards and 2 TDs at some point.

The attention from Palmer seems to be there, and some fluky events and penalties the first few weeks held him down.

I'm not letting off the guy, but I like to see a bit more targets to feel more comfortable.

In fact, this was the fewest targets he has seen all year.

Let's hope this was just another blowout, and that led to a slightly lower target day.

I'm surprised no one bumped this thread yet after the game Sunday.

TZM

Last edited by a moderator:
Watched the entire game. If the Lions didn't suck so bad he would've been in line for a big big day I think. The game was pretty much done by half time. Palmer looked for him at some critical moments such as when they were backed up on their own 1 yard line and Brown pulled out a 49 yard reception.

John Brown would have been a top 5 WR this week if the Lions put up a fight. Watched the whole game as well, that game was over at half time.

Ok, I have been high on this kid right out of the gate, as I alluded to before in this thread and I got him in every league.

Last week, his 7 catches on 10 targets and toss in a carry to boot, while the numbers weren't stellar, they were comforting in the fact that he is a feature part of their offense.

So today, I see a decent box score number. 13.30 in standard (but only 4 targets w/4 receptions and a td)

I'm not overly ecstatic by any means, but apparently Palmer was on the bench having a mixed drink in the 4th quarter.

(did anyone see the whole game??? etc. etc.)

I know the TD was in the 2nd quarter.

So although Brown had a decent day, its not the lightning bolt I expect soon.

I think we are going to see 120 + yards and 2 TDs at some point.

The attention from Palmer seems to be there, and some fluky events and penalties the first few weeks held him down.

I'm not letting off the guy, but I like to see a bit more targets to feel more comfortable.

In fact, this was the fewest targets he has seen all year.

Let's hope this was just another blowout, and that led to a slightly lower target day.

I'm surprised no one bumped this thread yet after the game Sunday.

TZM
We could say that about at least a dozen different receivers. At some point this kid's promoters are going to have to acknowledge that he may not have the huge season they were expecting. One of his problems so far may be that game flow has not been condusive to Palmer airing it out downfield as much as we'd like. Seems like the AZ D is all over it's opponents early in every game.

John Brown would have been a top 5 WR this week if the Lions put up a fight. Watched the whole game as well, that game was over at half time.
Yes, but how many weeks are we going to say this before we acknowledge that this may be the way the entire season goes? Week 5 is in the books. At this point the kid is a WR3 with upside in any given game.

Was anybody drafting Brown as a WR2 though ? I thought he was going rounds 7-9, I got him in the 9th as my WR3. If I've learnt one thing in fantasy so far it's that you need to look at the intangibles and weigh up if patience is the correct thing to indulge in. Likewise the reverse, sometimes you need to be pro active if you sense the writing is on the wall.

Of course there are no certainties, but Brown smells of someone where patience will be rewarded - part of strong team, has a QB who is flying and likes to pass, is a big deep threat.

History/logic would tell me that the Cards can't continue to blow teams out the water so early all season. If you drafted well then in a flex spot Brown should pay dividends on quite a few weeks

People are let down by a 73-953-6 pace? Interesting.

Not sure what more one would want from a WR3. Not sure where he was being drafted to be more than that.

Was anybody drafting Brown as a WR2 though ? I thought he was going rounds 7-9, I got him in the 9th as my WR3. If I've learnt one thing in fantasy so far it's that you need to look at the intangibles and weigh up if patience is the correct thing to indulge in. Likewise the reverse, sometimes you need to be pro active if you sense the writing is on the wall.

Of course there are no certainties, but Brown smells of someone where patience will be rewarded - part of strong team, has a QB who is flying and likes to pass, is a big deep threat.

History/logic would tell me that the Cards can't continue to blow teams out the water so early all season. If you drafted well then in a flex spot Brown should pay dividends on quite a few weeks
I don't disagree with any of this. Brown was drafted as a WR3-4 in most leagues witht he hope that he would break out and greatly outproduce his draft position. All I'm suggesting is that maybe it's time to acknowledge that he may simply perform up to his ADP with 2-3 big games sprinkled in.

Not sure what more one would want from a WR3. Not sure where he was being drafted to be more than that.
He was a sleeper for many, so they probably hoped for better than WR3 numbers. There were may hyping him (thus the title of the thread) as a breakout candidate. Nobody is suggesting that he's been an outright bust.

He was a sleeper for many, so they probably hoped for better than WR3 numbers. There were may hyping him (thus the title of the thread) as a breakout candidate. Nobody is suggesting that he's been an outright bust.
Yeah I drafted him as my WR3 but due to injuries to Dez and the Big Ben/ABrown situation in PIT, I've needed him to be more of a WR2/low WR1 bust out lately...but picking those weeks where he'll go off is proving to be dicey with Fitz firmly ahead of him on the depth chart.

I remember there was a TON of hype over Brown before the season started. Fitz even did that interview where he anointed Brown "the future" which suggested the torch might be passed this year. Could be a year early on that front.

I think a lot of the higher expectations for Brown hinged on the parallel expectation that Fitzgerald would continue to decline. With Fitz resurrgent it is keeping the lid on Brown's numbers. I still like what I see from Brown though, and haven't lowered his dynasty valuation at all.

In redraft, I'm still hopeful Brown can wind up being a top 15 WR by the time this season ends. Crazy? Yeah, probably. I keep waiting for Floyd to become more productive to totally dash my hopes for Brown this year. It still hasn't happened...

Game flow hasn't really been in his favor so far. They've been so far ahead in some of these games that he lost some targets. He's been solid in spit of that.

Quasimoto said:
We could say that about at least a dozen different receivers. At some point this kid's promoters are going to have to acknowledge that he may not have the huge season they were expecting. One of his problems so far may be that game flow has not been condusive to Palmer airing it out downfield as much as we'd like. Seems like the AZ D is all over it's opponents early in every game.
Of course we could say that about a ton of WRs, but I think you may be reading slightly more into my hope/expectation than what I really thought.

I never believed that this kid was a WR1, but I saw him as a fine WR3 with a ton of upside.

That upside has not disappeared, in fact plenty of it has flashed, and his season certainly isn't a bust by any stretch....at least not yet.

Game flow certainly hasn't helped so far, but then again neither has the PI penalties, an untimely drop and a general sense from watching their games that "everything has sort of fallen just wrong for Brown", whereas on the other hand "everything has sort of fallen just perfect for Larry Fitzgerald". (Penalties and drops happen for all players, it just seemed they came at the wrong time for Brown, thats all i'm saying)

No one should be confused, I am not taking anything away from Larry Fitz at all.

It just seems that a number of broken coverage plays have happened, and Larry Fitz seems to have been the beneficiary so far this season.

While on the other hand, an untimely drop from Brown for a TD one game, a couple of poor throws, and even game flow have all played a small part in depressing Brown's overall production so far.

I drafted the guy as a WR3 where I drafted him, and I paid those prices in drafts happily. (in said leagues we play 3WRs, I'm good with him being just that) Like Tartan Lion above, I got Brown in round 9 in two leagues, and the last pick of the 8th in another.

I haven't been let down really, but what I have seen, is where basically 1-2 plays could have made a huge difference so far on how this kid has been perceived thus far, and it would have made a noticeable difference in his stats.

Some of the tougher games are coming for the Cardinals, and in my opinion this can only help Brown.

It will be interesting where he sits around week 11-12 or so, before the fantasy playoffs start.

TZM

Seems like a spot to be reasonably optimistic to me. Cards seem to be making an effort to set him for big plays. It may/probably be just hopeful BS on my part, but feels to me like the dam could burst without it taking too crazy a set of circumstances.

Cards have blown out 3 out of the 5 teams they played. In week 4 they played the Rams which so far have allowed the 6th fewest fantasy points to WRs. I'm not trying to make excuses here, I have Brown in one league out of many. I agree that the best is yet to come, IF these other teams can actually put up a fight. That's a big if though, this is a dominant team.

Cut him last week in my short bench league. Picked up Martavis and Watkins.

I'll be grabbing him next week no I'd think.

No surprise here, game script changes and all of a sudden he racks up massive yardage. I've kept him in all season, but can understand why people may have benched him.

John Brown snared 10-of-14 targets for 196 yards in the Cardinals' Week 6 loss to the Steelers.
Brown was consistently a thorn in the Steelers’ side, saving Carson Palmer on a number of underthrown deep passes while also making big catches over the middle on slant routes and rub plays. Pittsburgh never found an answer for Brown, who generated 136 of his career-high 196 yards after half time. The second-year wideout is having a breakout year and is currently on pace for 88 catches and 1,325 yards. Those are Pro Bowl caliber numbers. Brown should be on the WR2 map next week at home against Baltimore.
Sorry... But wtf is this guy doing on ANY of your benches?

(assuming PPR)

agreed. Even in blowout games he was getting tons of looks and redzone targets. Nice match-up too against Steelers CBs.

I don't know how many times I have to learn the hard way. All week, I had John Brown in as my flex over Antonio Brown. Since Big Ben has been out, the "down to Earth" Antonio Brown has been hurting my weekly scores. I liked the match up this week with John Brown against the weaker Steelers secondary. As we neared the "Set your lineup" deadline, though I inexplicably went against my better thinking and threw Antonio back in my lineup. Well, once again, I outsmarted myself and left a large amount of points on my bench. I suspect it was me being a Steelers homer and my having used my # 1 pick on Antonio that led to it. When will I learn. I just figured that now in their third game together, someone would have drilled it into Vick's head to involve Brown. With Bryant back, I thought he would get even a bit freer to let Vick get him the targets. Oh well. With any luck, my two players left to his one player left with me down by 3 will be enough.

John Brown was excellent today in PPR. I am glad to have him as my 4th wr.

John Brown snared 10-of-14 targets for 196 yards in the Cardinals' Week 6 loss to the Steelers.

Brown was consistently a thorn in the Steelers side, saving Carson Palmer on a number of underthrown deep passes while also making big catches over the middle on slant routes and rub plays. Pittsburgh never found an answer for Brown, who generated 136 of his career-high 196 yards after half time. The second-year wideout is having a breakout year and is currently on pace for 88 catches and 1,325 yards. Those are Pro Bowl caliber numbers. Brown should be on the WR2 map next week at home against Baltimore.

(assuming PPR)
On my bench today for Megatron, Antonio Brown, and Hurns.

Brown was consistently a thorn in the Steelers’ side, saving Carson Palmer on a number of underthrown deep passes while also making big catches over the middle on slant routes and rub plays. Pittsburgh never found an answer for Brown, who generated 136 of his career-high 196 yards after half time. The second-year wideout is having a breakout year and is currently on pace for 88 catches and 1,325 yards. Those are Pro Bowl caliber numbers. Brown should be on the WR2 map next week at home against Baltimore.

(assuming PPR)
In the 12 team PPR league where I own him I went Julio, Green, Hopkins with my first three picks. He's been outscoring Julio/Green recently but it's understandably very hard for me to sit them either of them.

Soulfly is a bit of a mouth on here so take his hindsight 20/20 vision with a grain of salt. I sat Brown for AJ Green, Edelman, and James Jones. Jones has fallen off quite a bit so Brown is going into the WR3 spot for me. If we take his best and worst games this season we are looking at a range of 9 to 29 PPR points. He's a great WR2 with that type of range and an average of about 15 PPG.

Home game coming up against the Ravens which is actually a nice matchup. I could see a nice 15 point week.

So, is he overtaking Fitz as the WR to have?? :popcorn:
Has been since last season imo.
Well, to this point Fitz has been having himself a fine year- WR3 in my $ league scoring. The question is- will he lose out to Brown or will they both continue to flourish??
Few predicted Fitz having the type of season he is and most would agree his shelf life is short. If picking between the two receivers I would always take the one whose pendulum is on the upswing and that is definately Brown.

glock said:
Rodeojones said:
glock said:
So, is he overtaking Fitz as the WR to have?? :popcorn:
Has been since last season imo.
Well, to this point Fitz has been having himself a fine year- WR3 in my $ league scoring. The question is- will he lose out to Brown or will they both continue to flourish??
I think they help each others value. This offense and Palmer can support two high end WR2's with occasional solid WR1 production.

One of the more frustrating things about owning JB this year has been how often Palmer has underthrown him on the deep ball. I've plugged Brown into my line-up every week since I invested in other areas of my team. As such, I've ridden with him and yesterday was the type of game you figured you'd get from him at some point...while also taking some medicore days.

But one thing that's great in real football, useless in FF, is the ability for a WR to draw PI penalties. Brown if I had to guess is close to the league lead in penalty yards responsible for drawing. And alot of that is becausew he beats his man and then has to wait for the ball. Even his long ball yesterday involved him coming back for the ball and making a contested catch. If Palmer and him get on the same page here in terms of timing, then watch out.

One of the more frustrating things about owning JB this year has been how often Palmer has underthrown him on the deep ball. I've plugged Brown into my line-up every week since I invested in other areas of my team. As such, I've ridden with him and yesterday was the type of game you figured you'd get from him at some point...while also taking some medicore days.

But one thing that's great in real football, useless in FF, is the ability for a WR to draw PI penalties. Brown if I had to guess is close to the league lead in penalty yards responsible for drawing. And alot of that is becausew he beats his man and then has to wait for the ball. Even his long ball yesterday involved him coming back for the ball and making a contested catch. If Palmer and him get on the same page here in terms of timing, then watch out.
ITs got to be frustrating to have the ability and hustle to beat your man only to have to come back for the ball and into harms way.

I haven't plugged him into my lineup enough this year, and this last week was the final slap across the face I needed. Looking back at his scores I can't believe I've only played him a couple of times....but FF is like that. Hard to see trends until they're already trends.

I haven't plugged him into my lineup enough this year, and this last week was the final slap across the face I needed. Looking back at his scores I can't believe I've only played him a couple of times....but FF is like that. Hard to see trends until they're already trends.
I drafted John Brown on my 12 team PPR league and have started him every game. I will be 4-2 after tonight and have not regretted starting him once this season. He's my WR3 currently (Dez Bryant hurt) and I couldn't be happier.

Plug and play if you got him.

Looks like the hamstring tightened up. For a speed receiver playing on Monday, this isn't good. I'm sure he'll go to questionable now and those late week downgrades are never good news.

Users who are viewing this thread