What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

John Madden is Retiring from Broadcasting (1 Viewer)

Mystery Achiever

Footballguy
Per CNBC.

Edit to add: Story is up on the site now:

NBC Sports Chairman **** Ebersol announced today that John Madden, Hall of Fame coach and history, has decided to retire from broadcasting.

Madden has served as the game analyst for "NBC Sunday Night Football" since 2006.

Madden has been an NFL broadcaster for 30 years and has won an unprecedented 16 Emmy Awards for Outstanding Sports Analyst/Personality.

Madden had a successful career as head coach of the NFL's Oakland Raiders. He guided the Raiders to an overall record of 103-32-7, leading the team to seven AFC Western Division titles and a victory over the Minnesota Vikings in Super Bowl XI.

Madden's .750 winning percentage is the best of any head coach in NFL history. In 2006, Madden was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame as a Head Coach.

Madden retired in 1979 and started his broadcasting career at CBS later that same year.

Madden was the lead NFL analyst for FOX from 1994-2002 and the analyst for ABC's "Monday Night Football" for four years before he came to NBC Sports in 2006. He is the only person to work as the lead analyst for all four broadcast networks.

Madden's EA Sports video game "Madden NFL Football" is the No. 1 selling sports video game of all-time with more than 65 million copies sold since its release 20 years ago.

* Sports Biz with Darren Rovell

Madden issued the following statement today:

"It's time. I'm 73 years old. My 50th wedding anniversary is this fall. I have two great sons and their families and my five grandchildren are at an age now when they know when I'm home and, more importantly, when I'm not… It's been such a great ride… the NFL has been my life for more than 40 years, it has been my passion - it still is. I appreciate all of the people who are and were such an important part of the most enjoyable, most fun anyone could have… that great life with the teams, the players, the coaches, the owners, the League… my broadcasting partners Pat and Al… the production people and the fans …is still great… it's still fun and that's what it makes it hard and that's why it took me a few months to make a decision.

I still love every part of it - the travel, the practices, the game film, the games, seeing old friends and meeting new people… but I know this is the right time."

Last edited by a moderator:
:(

I will always associate his voice with football, much like I do with Summeral and Enberg.

I'm guessing this is a health issue.

I never understood why so many people hate Madden. I remember the old days when he would make those crazy drawings that ended up being a big mess. I've always loved his commentary and will miss presence in the NFL.

The writing was on the wall for this one when Madden didn't make a cross country trip last season. There were also rumors swirling once Matt Millen went into the NBC booth. Ugh.

Edit to add: I'd guess Chris Collinsworth takes his spot with Al Michaels on SNF. Boom?

Last edited by a moderator:
I never understood why so many people hate Madden. I remember the old days when he would make those crazy drawings that ended up being a big mess. I've always loved his commentary and will miss presence in the NFL.
:thumbup: :shrug:He was definitely good for the game and early on especially his commentary was the best in the game.

THANK YOU, John Madden. You will be sorely missed! :thumbup:

But please... PLEASE! -- not Chris Collinsworth as his replacement. :shrug:

I'm pretty sure there will be a share of folks who will be happy that Madden is retiring, but I'm not one of them. He understands the game well and as someone who grew up watching him coach and then make the transition to the booth, I learned a lot from his analysis and he made the game fun. As with anyone in the media, a person's style can get old (Chris Berman's style is a great example of one that I once enjoyed but his "schtick" gets tiresome for me sometimes), but I think he was genuine with his approach and for me it made his idiosyncrasies funny rather than grating.

:lmao: to the Big Turducken.

Just an observation, but it seemed like he went into a bit of a lull a few years back with ABC, but when he and Al moved to NBC he got his giddyup back in his step and was much more solid with his analysis.

God, Caliendo is the most sad guy in the nation today!

The timing of this + Favre's 2nd retirement is almost comical....I would hope not related, but it is funny to me.

He is too old to probably want to do it now, but I would love to have one season of Vermeil paired with Al Michaels.

:goodposting: :shrug: I seem to be the only one who though the last several years of him in the booth have been torture. The guy is just not with it anymore, and his ramblings were intolerable. I do remember his heyday, and loved it. His time has been passed for quite a while now.

This is a sad day for me. I'm glad that Madden went out on top but I'll really miss him this fall. Count me among the group that thinks his schtick is genuine. The man has a real love for the game and is a living vessel for a huge amount of the history of the NFL.

I hope he still does interviews/specials etc.

I'm pretty sure there will be a share of folks who will be happy that Madden is retiring, but I'm not one of them. He understands the game well and as someone who grew up watching him coach and then make the transition to the booth, I learned a lot from his analysis and he made the game fun. As with anyone in the media, a person's style can get old (Chris Berman's style is a great example of one that I once enjoyed but his "schtick" gets tiresome for me sometimes), but I think he was genuine with his approach and for me it made his idiosyncrasies funny rather than grating.

:shrug: to the Big Turducken.
That's kind of how it's been with me the last few years in regards to Madden. After decades of listening to him, once he started to slip (IMO, about 10 years ago) his style got a little more grating. That being said, I never doubted his love of football & his first 10-15 years as an analyst was the best I've experienced. His place in the broadcast pantheon is secure & his retirement is certainly well-earned.

Madden became a bit of a self-parody the last few years but he's a tried and true institution and someone who definitely played a role in my love for watching NFL football. I was too young to remember him as a coach, but I can't fathom many other media members will ever combine excellence in both their coaching history with equal, if not better, achievement in their broadcasting career.

:popcorn:

Sucks.

To me, Madden's voice will always be the voice of NFL football,much the way Marv Albert = NBA in my head and Keith Jackson = college football. He'll be missed.

I'm pretty sure there will be a share of folks who will be happy that Madden is retiring, but I'm not one of them. He understands the game well and as someone who grew up watching him coach and then make the transition to the booth, I learned a lot from his analysis and he made the game fun. As with anyone in the media, a person's style can get old (Chris Berman's style is a great example of one that I once enjoyed but his "schtick" gets tiresome for me sometimes), but I think he was genuine with his approach and for me it made his idiosyncrasies funny rather than grating. :hey: to the Big Turducken.
This is pretty much exactly how I feel. I never found him grating... about the time that the schtick might have gotten old he pretty much dropped it. Obviously age affected him over the years but in the end he had the feel of that comfortable grandfather figure who still can make you chuckle and who you know still knows more about the subject than most people who criticize him combined.

Sucks.To me, Madden's voice will always be the voice of NFL football,much the way Marv Albert = NBA in my head and Keith Jackson = college football. He'll be missed.
I will miss Madden too, but that's just plain blasphemy. Facenda will always be the voice of the NFL in my mind.

So the NFL loses 2 of its most distinctive voices in the span of 3 days, interesting. Makes me wonder if Harry Kalas’ death had anything to do with this announcement?

Ron_Mexico said:
Maroney=Sped said:
Kevin Ashcraft said:
He is too old to probably want to do it now, but I would love to have one season of Vermeil paired with Al Michaels.
Nessler-Vermeil-Jaworski = best ever MNF team for serious fans of the game. Not even debatable.
3 in the booth suxor.
I remember the Nessler-Vermeil-Jaworski combo and agree it was a solid group. Not sure about it being non-debatable. However, I also believe that two in the booth is better. I would like to see Vermeil pair up with Michaels.

I remember watching a special on Al Michaels last year. They asked him when he'd hang it up and he said, "When John Madden retires." He said he didn't want to do a game with anyone else.

I think it was on HBO but not sure, I'll try to track it down.

Maroney=Sped said:
Kevin Ashcraft said:
Nessler-Vermeil-Jaworski = best ever MNF team for serious fans of the game. Not even debatable.
MNF is not for the serious fan, it is for the casual fan. I always liked listening to Madden, thanks for the good times.

Users who are viewing this thread