What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jonas Gray (RB - New England) (1 Viewer)

Jonas Gray @jgray_ND25

Example of how fast people can turn their back on you. That's just life tho! Either way I just keep it moving and grind harder. Nothing new!

:shakes head:
What does that mean? BB turned his back on him ?

This guy came onto my radar back in 2011 when he started flashing talent on runs like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58GhK358UUQ

I talked about him here at the time:

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=580252&p=13562726

I had him on quite a few of my rosters when he was with the Dolphins, but dismissed him completely in my mind when the Dolphins cut him loose before the 2013 season. I have low patience for players who can't force their way onto a 53 man roster. That was more than a full year after his ACL injury. If he couldn't beat out Miller, Thomas, and Gillislee for a spot then I have to question how much ability he showed in practices.

I only caught a few plays from Sunday night, but it looked like he was just running through massive lanes. One thing you quickly realize in this hobby is that a RB "looks great" when his OL paves a wide open highway for him to run through, but "looks terrible" when his team blocks nobody and gets him hit in the backfield every down. The truth is that what you're evaluating in those instances is the context and not the player. I'll withhold from offering any real verdict on Gray until I actually watch his recent performances, but my hunch is that he's just your typical serviceable NFL back benefiting from favorable short-term circumstance. The Pats have had quite a few of those in spurts over the last few years.

Jonas Gray @jgray_ND25 · Nov 17
Overall just great team win. All hands on deck, no complaining just grinding the entire game. Now on to Detroit...#PatriotWay

0 replies 188 retweets 419 favorites

The OLINE, TE/FB's and wide receivers just blocked like mad men all night. I'm seeing everybody just going all out to block their man.

0 replies 70 retweets 197 favorites

Finally getting a chance to breakdown yesterday's tape before I move on to Detroit. I mean honestly the OLINE JUST BEASTED ALL NIGHT! #Pats

Gray owner in dynasty and redraft. You couldn't pay me to start him this week vs Detroit after that bonehead move. I'd be shocked if Blount didn't get more carries than him this week and moving forward after that. What a total absolute MORON.

Jonas Gray @jgray_ND25

Example of how fast people can turn their back on you. That's just life tho! Either way I just keep it moving and grind harder. Nothing new!

Yikes, keep digging yourself a hole.
i seriously doubt hes talking about the coaching staff
He posted it today at 3:54pm EST and deleted it shortly thereafter. Who exactly do you think he would be talking about?

http://nesn.com/2014/11/jonas-gray-people-turn-their-back-after-he-shows-up-late-to-patriots-practice/

Jonas Gray @jgray_ND25

He posted it today at 3:54pm EST and deleted it shortly thereafter. Who exactly do you think he would be talking about?http://nesn.com/2014/11/jonas-gray-people-turn-their-back-after-he-shows-up-late-to-patriots-practice/
fans

Jonas Gray @jgray_ND25

He posted it today at 3:54pm EST and deleted it shortly thereafter. Who exactly do you think he would be talking about?http://nesn.com/2014/11/jonas-gray-people-turn-their-back-after-he-shows-up-late-to-patriots-practice/
fans
You hunker down too bro.

I'll be surprised if he isn't in the same "big back" role as he was last week. Not sure the big back role will be used a whole lot against the Det DL, but I don't think BB will change much. Blount just got back there, Gray is coming off a great game, and I don't think oversleeping will cost him his job. Fumbling would change things, but not oversleeping.

I wouldn't be playing him this week either way so we will see what happens. I don't have Gray's stock down much if any. He is a NE RB. His usage will always be defined by the opponent and the game plan.

EDIT: The twitter hysteria is not relevant. He wasn't tweeting about the coaching staff. Much ado about nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perfect week to make an example of him. With the Lions stout rush defense, I doubt running the ball 25-30 times was really the game plan anyway. I bet he would have had 10-15 carries tops this week.

Pretty simple for BB not to start him, and play wait and see to evaluate the flow of the game. I see this being more a Vereen game than a Gray/Blount game, anyway.

theplayer11 said:
FOX Sports' Mike Garofolo reports Jonas Gray was late to the Patriots' facility on Friday because he overslept.
Per Garofolo, Gray's "phone died," which he was ostensibly relying upon as an alarm. He drove straight to Gillette Stadium, but was promptly sent home by the Patriots' coaching staff. Garofolo reports Gray has texted teammates to apologize, including Tom Brady. He is "hoping" to get Bill Belichick to hear his side of the story "this afternoon." We wish young Jonas the best of luck.
He overslept and they are treating him like he is Hernandez coming to the facility. Another reason for me not to be a fan of the Patriots organization. I am not a morning person so I can sympathize with Gray.

theplayer11 said:
FOX Sports' Mike Garofolo reports Jonas Gray was late to the Patriots' facility on Friday because he overslept.
Per Garofolo, Gray's "phone died," which he was ostensibly relying upon as an alarm. He drove straight to Gillette Stadium, but was promptly sent home by the Patriots' coaching staff. Garofolo reports Gray has texted teammates to apologize, including Tom Brady. He is "hoping" to get Bill Belichick to hear his side of the story "this afternoon." We wish young Jonas the best of luck.
He overslept and they are treating him like he is Hernandez coming to the facility. Another reason for me not to be a fan of the Patriots organization. I am not a morning person so I can sympathize with Gray.
Per Bruschi, everybody consistently gets the same treatment if they arrive late: They are sent home. Tedi said nothing about being benched, losing your job, etc.. You are sent home, period.

The last two times NE faced a stout rushing defense (Jets, Broncos), Vereen either split the carries with Gray (Broncos...they had a lead), or dominated the touches in the backfield (Jets). I'm guessing this would be a Vereen-type of game regardless of Gray's phone dying. It would be truly stunning, even by Belichick's standards, for Blount, who was just summarily cut because he deserted his team in the middle of a game, to jump Gray in the same week because Gray overslept. I think Bruschi's point about Belichick's handling of this depending on how Gray has behaved PRIOR to the oversleeping is the salient one.

theplayer11 said:
actually, I think the police would be called if hernandez showed up.

maybe he just should've told beli he's not a morning person

theplayer11 said:
Per Bruschi, everybody consistently gets the same treatment if they arrive late: They are sent home. Tedi said nothing about being benched, losing your job, etc.. You are sent home, period.

The last two times NE faced a stout rushing defense (Jets, Broncos), Vereen either split the carries with Gray (Broncos...they had a lead), or dominated the touches in the backfield (Jets). I'm guessing this would be a Vereen-type of game regardless of Gray's phone dying. It would be truly stunning, even by Belichick's standards, for Blount, who was just summarily cut because he deserted his team in the middle of a game, to jump Gray in the same week because Gray overslept. I think Bruschi's point about Belichick's handling of this depending on how Gray has behaved PRIOR to the oversleeping is the salient one.
Maybe Vereen dominated the touches against the Jets because Jonas Gray was just elevated from the practice squad the day of the game (Oct 16)?

As far as the Lions, part of their impressive run D stats might be attributed to their schedule. Out of 10 games, 7 opponents rank 17th or worse in overall run O rankings.

Of the three Top 10 run offenses that the Lions have faced:

* NYJ put up 23/128/1 in Week 2 (Ivory and CJK)

* Against MIA, Lamar Miller only played 11 snaps and they had just lost Moreno

Pretty much every FF expert on the planet the Colts game as a "Vereen-type" game because it was supposed to be a shootout. Gray was an afterthought. We saw how that turned out.

Only after this week's game will it become obvious what type of defensive weaknesses BB and McDaniels choose to try and exploit. Only by sheer luck will someone predict it beforehand.

seahawk 17 said:
shadyridr said:
seahawk 17 said:
tjnc09 said:
Jonas Gray @jgray_ND25

You're talking about a guy who sets his alarm by cell phone.
Most people I know do.

seahawk 17 said:
shadyridr said:
seahawk 17 said:
tjnc09 said:
Jonas Gray @jgray_ND25

Most people under the age of 80 I know do.
ftfy

theplayer11 said:

...for Blount, who was just summarily cut because he deserted his team in the middle of a game
Why do people keep saying this?

Revis was late to practice earlier in the year and after apolozing to Belechick didn't suffer any negative repercussions. Take that for what it's worth, although Revis isn't nearly as replaceable as Gray and didn't miss practice the same week that a new colleague was added that plays the exact same position & role.

My perception of Gray from the IND game is like many others, that he's JAG. The O-line balled out and IND's run defense is suspect at best. Fleming playing as the extra lineman apparently was huge and I would imagine other teams will be better prepared for this in the future.

Even so, with Fleming out, the Alarmgate issue, and DET defense in mind I don't think he's anything other than a desperation flex this week. Perhaps he will get a goal-line TD, but I'm not confident enough in that to start him. Unless he just keeps absolutely beasting I can only imagine starting him again v. GB and SD. Would love to hear other's take on his prospects past this week.

BB will once again trick everyone, gray will get 30 touches and no one including the lions will have seen it coming.

Leftcoastguy7 nailed it: "I would MUCH rather have a 2 pt day from Gray han see him blow up on my bench for 40 points again." I'm starting him.

seahawk 17 said:
shadyridr said:
seahawk 17 said:
tjnc09 said:
Jonas Gray @jgray_ND25

:shrug:

What do you use grampa?

Leftcoastguy7 nailed it: "I would MUCH rather have a 2 pt day from Gray han see him blow up on my bench for 40 points again." I'm starting him.
Lol 40 point game against det. You guys need to lay off the pipe
I have to agree. I started him last week and enjoyed those points, but against Detroit, he is sitting the pine in favor of T-Rich. That is how little confidence I have in him this week.

This week has Vereen written all over it as there is going to be a lot of check downs/quick passes by Brady.

BB will once again trick everyone, gray will get 30 touches and no one including the lions will have seen it coming.
Yeah, but he knows that you think that, so he'll do something different.Then again, he probably knows that I know that he knows that you think that, so he will do that.

But, he also probably knows that we know that he knows that I know that he knows at you think that, so he won't do that.

Or, will he?

I think Jonas Gray = Aaron Dobson. BB doesn't suffer bad behavior lightly. It might've been no big deal in the long run but with Blount back Gray likely is on the periphery now unless Blount can't behave either.

Yeah, but he knows that you think that, so he'll do something different.Then again, he probably knows that I know that he knows that you think that, so he will do that.

But, he also probably knows that we know that he knows that I know that he knows at you think that, so he won't do that.

Or, will he?
Slow night?

theplayer11 said:

Maybe Vereen dominated the touches against the Jets because Jonas Gray was just elevated from the practice squad the day of the game (Oct 16)?

As far as the Lions, part of their impressive run D stats might be attributed to their schedule. Out of 10 games, 7 opponents rank 17th or worse in overall run O rankings.

Of the three Top 10 run offenses that the Lions have faced:

* NYJ put up 23/128/1 in Week 2 (Ivory and CJK)

* Against MIA, Lamar Miller only played 11 snaps and they had just lost Moreno

Pretty much every FF expert on the planet the Colts game as a "Vereen-type" game because it was supposed to be a shootout. Gray was an afterthought. We saw how that turned out.

Only after this week's game will it become obvious what type of defensive weaknesses BB and McDaniels choose to try and exploit. Only by sheer luck will someone predict it beforehand.
Good points all. :goodposting:

Gray missed a meeting apparently due to oversleeping. Oof, that's worse to me than the Blount signing. Belichick is nuts about stuff like that.

I think Blount might be better than Gray. I don't think either of them are exactly elite. And maybe not even replacement level. Blount went 24 for 166 and 4 TDs against the Colts last year. I guess it's a wait and see, but my bet is with Blount right now and that has nothing to do with the alarm.

No chance I'd start Gray against the Lions if I have decent options, but people are being way too quick to write the guy off IMO. All reports are that he's a model citizen and I think his talent level is a bit underrated as well. If trading windows weren't closed I'd be buying.

Users who are viewing this thread