What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jonathan Stewart (1 Viewer)

packersfan

Footballguy
With Williams expected to be listed as doubtful for Sunday's game with the Rams, JStew is in line to make the start. Here's a look at what Stewart has done when given 15+ carries in a game during his career:

15-55-1

19-72-0

17-68-1

15-130-1

15-115-2

16-52-1

17-56-1

17-110-1

17-87-2

26-120-1

25-109-1

28-206-1

16-125-1

That's an average of 19-100-1. He has scored in all of those games except one and topped 100 yards rushing in eight of the 13 games. He faces a Rams' run defense that has allowed 5.3 YPC the past two games. I've talked in the Williams thread that I expect this game to be close and if it's close the Panthers should run the ball a lot. So volume should not be a problem for Stewart this week. Barring injury, could he be a Top 10 RB this week? Given how well he's done when given volume in his career and given his strong touchdown potential in those games I think it's possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in for this, basically same line of thinking as OP. All the signs are pointing in the direction arrow of J Stew to have a breakout game. Offense has gotten back on track somewhat.

Almost forgot to add if you go back to last years games from week 13 and on you will see a nice correlation between Matt More starting and having a good passing game along with JStew explosion

If healty, would it be crazy to start both DWILL and JSTEW ?

Because of bye week, i'm very thin at RB, so I have to pick 2 between DWILL, JSTEW, MBush or DWard.

If healty, would it be crazy to start both DWILL and JSTEW ?Because of bye week, i'm very thin at RB, so I have to pick 2 between DWILL, JSTEW, MBush or DWard.
Dwill is not healthy. He is doubtful. Even if healthy, if either one is not getting all the carries, I would not start either one.

I'm in for this, basically same line of thinking as OP. All the signs are pointing in the direction arrow of J Stew to have a breakout game. Offense has gotten back on track somewhat.Almost forgot to add if you go back to last years games from week 13 and on you will see a nice correlation between Matt More starting and having a good passing game along with JStew explosion
Even if Dwill is out, what's to stop Fox from splitting carries 50/50 between Stewart and Goodson? I swear he hates us.

My main concern is repeated posts by folks saying that the OLine isn't creating holes this year. Compound that with the injury to stud tackle Jeff Otah and I'm nervous about starting Stewart over the likes of Mike Hart and 427 (Lagarette Blount) this weekend.

Anyone know about Otah's injury or status?

DeAngelo hasn't exactly been running poorly, the Carolina playcalling has really been the thing that's ruined his production. Stewart, on the other hand, has looked pretty bad when he has had the chance to play. I think there is a chance that they allow Stewart to get going with a lot of touches this week, but I wouldn't bank on it.

I honestly think that Goodson may put up pretty good numbers this week. He's good in the passing game and the team seems to have an obsession with him this season.

DeAngelo hasn't exactly been running poorly, the Carolina playcalling has really been the thing that's ruined his production. Stewart, on the other hand, has looked pretty bad when he has had the chance to play. I think there is a chance that they allow Stewart to get going with a lot of touches this week, but I wouldn't bank on it.I honestly think that Goodson may put up pretty good numbers this week. He's good in the passing game and the team seems to have an obsession with him this season.
:lmao: He's only got 6 carries and 10 receptions on the season.

packersfan said:
With Williams expected to be listed as doubtful for Sunday's game with the Rams, JStew is in line to make the start. Here's a look at what Stewart has done when given 15+ carries in a game during his career:

15-55-1

19-72-0

17-68-1

15-130-1

15-115-2

16-52-1

17-56-1

17-110-1

17-87-2

26-120-1

25-109-1

28-206-1

16-125-1

That's an average of 19-100-1. He has scored in all of those games except one and topped 100 yards rushing in eight of the 13 games. He faces a Rams' run defense that has allowed 5.3 YPC the past two games. I've talked in the Williams thread that I expect this game to be close and if it's close the Panthers should run the ball a lot. So volume should not be a problem for Stewart this week. Barring injury, could he be a Top 10 RB this week? Given how well he's done when given volume in his career and given his strong touchdown potential in those games I think it's possible.
Yahoo agrees with you. He's projected for over 18 points this week, and their projections are always low.

Grahamburn said:
solorca said:
DeAngelo hasn't exactly been running poorly, the Carolina playcalling has really been the thing that's ruined his production. Stewart, on the other hand, has looked pretty bad when he has had the chance to play. I think there is a chance that they allow Stewart to get going with a lot of touches this week, but I wouldn't bank on it.I honestly think that Goodson may put up pretty good numbers this week. He's good in the passing game and the team seems to have an obsession with him this season.
:goodposting: He's only got 6 carries and 10 receptions on the season.
And only one carry the last three games. Goodson's role will grow this week but he'll be the third-down RB. I think it's a mortal lock that Stewart gets 15+ carries barring injury and I'd say there's about a 95% chance he gets more than 20. Maybe he won't deliver. I agree that he hasn't looked great. But I do think he's a talented RB. He's proven that in the past. Combine his talent, with his proven production when given volume plus a recently shaky Rams' run defense and you can't ask for a better opportunity for Stewart to deliver. In a season which has seen Ryan Fitzpatrick become a stud fantasy QB anything can happen obviously but on paper this looks like a potential dream situation for Stewart. If you've been holding him waiting for the right time to start him this is it.

LawFitz said:
My main concern is repeated posts by folks saying that the OLine isn't creating holes this year. Compound that with the injury to stud tackle Jeff Otah and I'm nervous about starting Stewart over the likes of Mike Hart and 427 (Lagarette Blount) this weekend.

Anyone know about Otah's injury or status?
:goodposting: Bada Bing

this clearly isn't the same Panthers team. i expect Stewart to do well but to expect numbers like he's had in past is silly.

I'm currently debating between Stewart and Blount. FWIW I'm right now leaning Stewart with DWill likely out. Reason being I still think Caddy may cut into Blount's production.

this clearly isn't the same Panthers team. i expect Stewart to do well but to expect numbers like he's had in past is silly.
I would consider 18-65-1 a monumental achievement given what the running game has looked like thus far.

Starting JStew and Blount this week regardless.

I can only hope he finds a few holes and the endzone once. That will do.

I think Stewart will have a good game, but hesitant to say a great one. What might be interesting is seeing what would happen going forward if Stewart does really well and the Panthers win. Would the pendulum swing the other way going forward giving Stewart more carries than Deangelo?

I think Stewart will have a good game, but hesitant to say a great one. What might be interesting is seeing what would happen going forward if Stewart does really well and the Panthers win. Would the pendulum swing the other way going forward giving Stewart more carries than Deangelo?
not likely

I don't believe this is going to be a big week for Stewart. St. Louis isn't the pushover D they have been in the past. They are only allowing an average of 108 total rushing yards per game. While they haven't faced any great rushing attacks, Carolina is far from a great rushing attack itself. His value is going to hinge on goal line carries.

I don't believe this is going to be a big week for Stewart. St. Louis isn't the pushover D they have been in the past. They are only allowing an average of 108 total rushing yards per game. While they haven't faced any great rushing attacks, Carolina is far from a great rushing attack itself. His value is going to hinge on goal line carries.
Right bow Bloom has him as his #5RB for the weekto give y'all an idea of whether to start stewart over ______ - stew is my #5 rb this week

http://twitter.com/SigmundBloom

Right bow Bloom has him as his #5RB for the weekto give y'all an idea of whether to start stewart over ______ - stew is my #5 rb this week

http://twitter.com/SigmundBloom
I can certainly understand the high hopes, he has carried the load very well in the past. But even combining Stew and DWill's numbers this year haven't always been great. I'm still flip flopping between Stew and Beanie myself, but I just don't see more than 80yds and 1td. Very respectable RB2 numbers.

solorca said:
This.I live in CAR, and Stewart hasn't looked good at all. CAR misses Otah really bad. If DWill misses the game, I expect Stewart to get more touches, so he's a decent play, but I would never expect the production from the end of last year.Something like 18 carries for 65-80 yards and maybe a TD.

solorca said:
DeAngelo hasn't exactly been running poorly, the Carolina playcalling has really been the thing that's ruined his production. Stewart, on the other hand, has looked pretty bad when he has had the chance to play. I think there is a chance that they allow Stewart to get going with a lot of touches this week, but I wouldn't bank on it.

I honestly think that Goodson may put up pretty good numbers this week. He's good in the passing game and the team seems to have an obsession with him this season.
This.I live in CAR, and Stewart hasn't looked good at all. CAR misses Otah really bad. If DWill misses the game, I expect Stewart to get more touches, so he's a decent play, but I would never expect the production from the end of last year.

Something like 18 carries for 65-80 yards and maybe a TD.
Sweet, this is all I am expecting.

Starting JStew and Blount this week regardless.I can only hope he finds a few holes and the endzone once. That will do.
Rolling Blount and Goodson here, over MBIII! (D-Will and Rice, owner). Goodson does A LOT with little.
Goodson hasn't had a carry in the last 3 games. I kind of doubt he is going to see any goal line carries with JStew in there. What do you suggest he is going to do? 3 catches for 10 yards and 2 td's? Starting JStew this week and hoping for more than 60 yds rushing and a TD is a stretch. Starting Goodson is pushing the bounds of logic. Do what you think is best but man that is a harsh choice to make with a guy who has done exactly squat since week 3.

FWIW, I am probably rolling with Lynch over JStew until the Carolina run offense starts to show signs of life. StL might be the defensive start of the week this week. I don't expect too much from Stewart.

Won't be be tired after that rally at the National Mall on Saturday?

Anyhow, I think of him as a mid-line starter this week. The Rams are much improved.

-QG

re-emergence of Moore, breakout of Gettis and Lafell, return of Smith have restored the pass threat. TB was pushing STL around in the second half last week and Blount was finding a lot of room to run. Stewart is the kind of RB who gets more effective with more carries.

Until Stewart lets us down as a lead back, I don't see how you can bench him except for elite options.

re-emergence of Moore, breakout of Gettis and Lafell, return of Smith have restored the pass threat. TB was pushing STL around in the second half last week and Blount was finding a lot of room to run. Stewart is the kind of RB who gets more effective with more carries.

Until Stewart lets us down as a lead back, I don't see how you can bench him except for elite options.
I'd agree with this. He hasn't been the feature guy with 20 plus carries yet. If that happens this week, if he gets stopped for less than 4 yards a carry and no Td's, then obviously there's real reason for concern but until then, this is what Stewart owners have been waiting for, WTH.

I think you're all being way too optimistic on JStew this week.

CAR has done squat with DWII and JStew. OK, so JStew gets additional carries,

but that doesn't translate into 100 yds and a td like a lot of sites are projecting.

I think he's getting 60- 75 yds and a td if he's very lucky. Based on CAR's offensive woes, I thnk he gets less.

CAR is averaging 84 yds rushing per game. JStew will not get all the carries and will get average yardage this week.

St. Louis is tough against the run, playing at home and playing better than CAR right now. If they get ahead early JStew gets even less.

He makes a good flex this week, not a #1 or #2 by any means.

is Otah in or out today?
still out
This puts a major question mark on Stewarts chances today, IMO. I am surprised Dodds and Bloom both have Stew rated so high. What, exactly has changed that makes you think Stew can do better than Williams has done?
Uhhh, maybe the fact that he won't split carries.
Wow, some people really have no clue. You don't think I know he will receive the carries this week? I'm saying there is nothing that has changed on the entire offense to make me think the running game will suddenly get going just because it's ONLY Stewart back there now. He has done nothing so far this year. If Otah were back in there, then maybe.

is Otah in or out today?
still out
This puts a major question mark on Stewarts chances today, IMO. I am surprised Dodds and Bloom both have Stew rated so high. What, exactly has changed that makes you think Stew can do better than Williams has done?
Uhhh, maybe the fact that he won't split carries.
Wow, some people really have no clue. You don't think I know he will receive the carries this week? I'm saying there is nothing that has changed on the entire offense to make me think the running game will suddenly get going just because it's ONLY Stewart back there now. He has done nothing so far this year. If Otah were back in there, then maybe.
Believe it or not, post #1 kind of sums up why people think he may do better. You don't, so what....no need to act all pissy.

re-emergence of Moore, breakout of Gettis and Lafell, return of Smith have restored the pass threat. TB was pushing STL around in the second half last week and Blount was finding a lot of room to run. Stewart is the kind of RB who gets more effective with more carries. Until Stewart lets us down as a lead back, I don't see how you can bench him except for elite options.
This is my thinking as well.When given the starter's role, Stewart has proven to be a top 4 or 5 fantasy player.

really hoping my trade for him pays off. Hoping for a breakout performance today that gets him 15 cpg going forward regardless of DWill's status. If he can get going this game, and then maybe Otah comes back, could be a good second half player.

re-emergence of Moore, breakout of Gettis and Lafell, return of Smith have restored the pass threat. TB was pushing STL around in the second half last week and Blount was finding a lot of room to run. Stewart is the kind of RB who gets more effective with more carries. Until Stewart lets us down as a lead back, I don't see how you can bench him except for elite options.
This is my thinking as well.When given the starter's role, Stewart has proven to be a top 4 or 5 fantasy player.
All due respect to Sigmund... I don't understand this thinking.. DeA is an elite back too and even when he's had good statistical games... Fox won't give him enough carries to have a big day.... I don't see any reason to think Stewart exceed what CAR has been avg as a team this year running (someone already said ~85 yards per game). Comparing the two backs.. DeA has looked better than Stewart--who's been awful. Maybe that's because of the play calling he gets vs what they run for DeA.. but I don't think so... Stewart was hurt to start the year and I'm wondering if he hasn't fully recovered.I'd be happy with 60 and a TD.

this isn't the same Carolina team that JStew ran with last year...depleted OL, no passing game, @STL = not great success.

This is not rocket science. Williams and Stewart have combined for 647 yards from scrimmage and 3 TDs in 6 games this season. Do the math. That's over 100 combined yards and 0.5 TD per game. Stewart stands to get all of this production today. And in past similar situations, he was dominant.

Start him with confidence. I am.

this isn't the same Carolina team that JStew ran with last year...depleted OL, no passing game, @STL = not great success.
I understand and agree with these risks...but it's hard to discount his dominance at the end of last season.I'm giving him a chance this week to see if he overcomes those odds.

Users who are viewing this thread