What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jonathan Stewart (1 Viewer)

He needs to be cleared by the medical staff. that probally would happen tomorrow . If he does not practice tomorrow dont expect him back. I would say with goodson playing well they can wait one more week. he is there future starter, they dont want to rush him back. But when he is back I expect goodson to still get alot of carries killing both there values. then again the team offesnive woes kill there values ( Goodson did well despite the teams lack of talent)

http://blogs.charlotte.com/panthers/2010/1...mbers-back.html

Panthers getting numbers back

Strange sight at Panthers practice Wednesday, as four quarterbacks took part for the first time since the preseason.

Jimmy Clausen was cleared by doctors after suffering a concussion, meaning he'll start Sunday at Cleveland barring a setback.

Also, Brian St.Pierre was able to throw some, after a bout of arm, shoulder and back soreness from his surprise start.

Coupled with Tony Pike and new practice squader Keith Null, the Panthers had more passers than they knew what to do with.

They also got RB Jonathan Stewart back on the practice field after he missed two weeks with a concussion, along with WR Brandon LaFell.

LG Travelle Wharton (toe) is still out of practice, along with backup Ss Marcus Hudson (ankle) and Jordan Pugh (hamstring). -- Darin Gantt

Jonathan Stewart, RB, Carolina Panthers Wednesday 11/24, 12:41 PM CT

Darin Gantt tweets that Jonathan Stewart returned to practice on Wednesday after missing the past two weeks with a concussion. He could work his way into the starting role ahead of Mike Goodson by Sunday.

Our View: Goodson has been the most productive back per carry for the Panthers this season, but Stewart is still considered the running back of the future in Carolina. Look for Goodson to still play a couple of series on Sunday and perhaps more. Neither player makes for a strong start.

It will be interesting to see how the carries are divided up if Stewart practices fully this week. I still think he'll be the main guy (maybe not this week if they want to ease him back into the offense) but Goodson has looked terrific the last two weeks and deserves to be involved.

Beat writer Steve Reed thinks Goodson remains the starter:

carolinagrowl Steve Reed

Jonathan Stewart said he's ready to play Sunday. That said, I think Mike Goodson is still your starter against the Browns.

Stewart is listed as probable so he'll play against the Browns. Fox hasn't said who the starter will but Goodson seems to think it won't be him:

"I know I've got two guys once they're healthy, I'll probably be back to third-down back," Goodson said.

Link

You'd think with as good as Goodson has done in Stewart's absence, he would still see a healthy dose of snaps. I'm starting Goodson again this week and I'm concerned but I think he should be able to put up 10+ points even with Stewart on the field.

Stewart is listed as probable so he'll play against the Browns. Fox hasn't said who the starter will but Goodson seems to think it won't be him:

"I know I've got two guys once they're healthy, I'll probably be back to third-down back," Goodson said.

Link
Hard to say if this reflects what he sees in practice and team talks, or if it is just him being humble. As a Stewart owner with other options, I will wait to see how this plays out before I start Stewart. I would expect there to be some sort of time share but what it will be is hard to say.

Update from RotoWorld:

Beat writer Darin Gantt expects Jonathan Stewart to get his starting job back from Mike Goodson.

In his first game back from a concussion, Stewart averaged 8.2 yards per carry while Goodson labored to a 3.9 mark. It won't really matter who starts, but we do expect Stewart to gradually take control of the majority of early-down work. Goodson will stick with PPR value as a change-of-pace option and third-down back.

Source: Charlotte Observer

Related: Mike Goodson

I think both are worthy RB3 options right now. Goodson is a nice option in PPR leagues and Stewart looked terrific yesterday. That was the Jonathan Stewart we saw the past two seasons. I agree TDs may be hard to come by for this offense but if Stewart keeps looking this good the yardage will be there.

Any feelings on the week14 game against ATL - will he be startable that week? For some reason Carolina has been running the ball pretty well the last few weeks.

The Panthers continue to suck but Stewart looks outstanding. Goodson continues to get touches but Stewart looks like his old self again. He had some huge runs today and now has had three consecutive strong games since returning from his concussion.

The Panthers continue to suck but Stewart looks outstanding. Goodson continues to get touches but Stewart looks like his old self again. He had some huge runs today and now has had three consecutive strong games since returning from his concussion.
Will this signal the end of DeAngelo in Carolina now?

Will this signal the end of DeAngelo in Carolina now?
I don't see why they'd bring him back at this point. Stewart is a stud talent and Goodson has looked great this season. The running game looks to be in very good hands with those two. I understand the loyalty factor with Williams but based on what Stewart has shown throughout his career as a starter and what Goodson has shown this season, it sure looks like the Panthers don't need Williams anymore.

Top 5 if you ask me. I'm starting him with confidence in 2 leagues over the likes of Ray Rice and Ahmad Bradshaw. Although I did hear McGahee is sick, so maybe Rice gets the goal line work as well???

Top 5 if you ask me. I'm starting him with confidence in 2 leagues over the likes of Ray Rice and Ahmad Bradshaw. Although I did hear McGahee is sick, so maybe Rice gets the goal line work as well???
I'd think if McGahee is limited in any way, they might go with McClain in short yardage situations, though they do seem to toss some GL work Rice's way when you least expect it.

Stewart worth grabbing with DWill going on IR? Or is the whole running game in Carolina worthless?
I dropped him earlier (of course) and now this comes out.Though, I don't feel too bad about it at this point.That running game has been bad and with no Otah, I don't see it getting much better.Not enough to trust for any playoff run.
Agreed. I dropped Stewart for Keiland Williams 2 days ago :bag:If my RBs werent so terrible, I wouldnt be angry as not just JStew but CAR as a whole has done nothing all year. Doubtful it turns around now, but Id still rather have him on my roster instead of a guy like Keiland.
:lmao:

Really juicy matchup against Arizona - they will run the ball a ton - he should be in line for a really good day.

Patient Stewie owners will be rewarded this week.

So...I'm assuming you lost in that league where Ray Rice was benched? Here's a tip: never sit your first round draft pick. :hot: I've enjoyed the results that J Stew has delivered in the flex spot over the past 2 weeks, but I'd have an extremely hard time starting him this week against a Pitt team that is going to come out firing on all cylinders. If my Donald Brown waiver claim is collected, than I doubt J Stew will touch my starting lineup.

So...I'm assuming you lost in that league where Ray Rice was benched? Here's a tip: never sit your first round draft pick. :thumbup: I've enjoyed the results that J Stew has delivered in the flex spot over the past 2 weeks, but I'd have an extremely hard time starting him this week against a Pitt team that is going to come out firing on all cylinders. If my Donald Brown waiver claim is collected, than I doubt J Stew will touch my starting lineup.
you're going to play Dexy's Midnight Runners over Journey??good luck . . .

I'd love to play him this week but this is just about the worst matchup I can imagine. My other guys are more timeshare guys though and I'm pretty confident Stewart will get the lions share. Problem is, 20 carries could go for 35 yards at Pitt. The game being on Thursday doesn't help either. Any possibility of a slight letdown by the Pitt. D (sort of like NE against GB the other night), just enough for them to let Stewart put up a solid stat line, or am I fishing?

I'd love to play him this week but this is just about the worst matchup I can imagine. My other guys are more timeshare guys though and I'm pretty confident Stewart will get the lions share. Problem is, 20 carries could go for 35 yards at Pitt. The game being on Thursday doesn't help either. Any possibility of a slight letdown by the Pitt. D (sort of like NE against GB the other night), just enough for them to let Stewart put up a solid stat line, or am I fishing?
Polamalu out is a big deal. I'm debating whether to start Pitt at all this week. Looked like the perfect matchup before his loss. Now I may go w Chicago.I dont think it's a huge reach that Stewart has a starter worthy game this week at all. Carolina has been coming along lately.

Dang Thursday game is really irritating right now. Wish I had all week to get a better feel for it....

Really like how he's been playing lately but the talent vs. matchup debate is a doozy for me this week...

Is the consensus that Stewart will be the guy in Carolina next year?
What makes people think Williams is done in Carolina? People have been saying Stewart is better or more talented, yet Williams always got the start and playing time ahead of him. The Panthers are gonna resign him and continue with the RBBC. It makes too much sense for them not to.But yet just like last year people will say Stewart is gonna be the man or this is the year Williams goes to the Patriots.It's not gonna happen but every year there's people on here that say it will.

What makes people think Williams is done in Carolina? People have been saying Stewart is better or more talented, yet Williams always got the start and playing time ahead of him. The Panthers are gonna resign him and continue with the RBBC. It makes too much sense for them not to.But yet just like last year people will say Stewart is gonna be the man or this is the year Williams goes to the Patriots.It's not gonna happen but every year there's people on here that say it will.
Why would Carolina resign Deangelo? They already have Stewart, Goodsen and Sutton and are in rebuild mode.

I think Williams' contract is up. And the speculation is he wont be resigned. They'll need the money and cap space for their #1 pick anyway.

I don't think either guy is that much better than the other. They're different backs as well. Deangelo an elusive slasher, Stewart a power runner.

Last edited by a moderator:
John Fox was loyal to veterans to a fault. He didnt start Williams over DeSahun Foster in 2007 (Williams' second season) even though Williams was outperforming Foster - 5.0 ypc vs. 3.5. Foster was not a Panther in 2008 and Williams went off.Fox is gone, Williams' contract is up, and Carolina may not want to pay a 28 year old RB when theve got Stewart and Goodson.

no way they resign williams (assuming williams even wants to be resigned to a losing franchise in a time share) because they a rebuilding franchise wouldn't tie up that much money in two backs, especially given how goodson proved himself this year.

Users who are viewing this thread