What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kevin Jones (1 Viewer)

the line was and still is terrible
If this is the case...
you can't run with no holes
then this will be the case.
The line was clearly the main reason the yards per carry was only around 4
And that's one reason they traded for Bell, to see if it was the line or Jones. All players in the NFL who fail have a reason (or excuse) or two for why they dont cut it. Eventually, their organization moves on to someone who has no reasons or produces in spite of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
A healthy Kevin Jones is a top 10 RB, IMO.
This is an oxymoron.
They used to say that about Isaac Bruce, Fred Taylor and a litany of other top performers. People on this board are too quick to permanently write players off due to injuries.
How bout due to performance? According to FBG's rankings, he's never finished in the Top 20 of RB's since he's been in the league. Now I know rankings are subject to each leagues scoring system, but that has to count for a little. He certainly hasnt been Fred Taylor-like in performance. Fred has 3 Top 10 finishes and 1 at 11. Not ready to write him off, but to-date he hasnt done much to brag about.
Pro-rate. Pro-rate his numbers and he has two top-10 finishes in 3 years. When he's been healthy and on the field, he has produced very well.
Very well? 2006 ypc 3.8

2005 ypc 3.6

Not so much.

And if pro-rating helped, I wouldnt be concerned one bit about D.McNabb as my QB this year. I would be too busy polishing my 2006 SB trophy.

If this is the case...
And that's one reason they traded for Bell, to see if it was the line or Jones. All players in the NFL who fail have a reason (or excuse) or two for why they dont cut it. Eventually, their organization moves on to someone who has no reasons or produces in spite of them.
They traded for Bell because they had no RB depth at all. With Jones coming off a major injury, they had to acquire a proven RB just in case. But if Jones is healthy, it's his job. They did not trade for Bell because they don't think Jones is a good RB, it was strictly about depth and protection in case he doesn't come back for the start of the season. A poor offensive line like the Lions had last year is not an excuse for a below par yards per carry, it is a REASON. The Lions started 3 players toward the end of the season who were 3rd string, including both guards.

SSOG said:
TaxMan said:
gman8343 said:
There's no reason to think that he cant come back at full strength and just as good as he was before.
Are you sure about this? Isn't this the injury that no RB has come back from and been the same? Didn't it essentially end Duce Staley's career
Westbrook and Dunn both came back from the same injury, and lack of talent stifled staley's career
Westbrook's injury was MUCH LESS SEVERE than KJs. Westbrook had a Lis Franc sprain, KJ had a full blown fracture/dislocation. This doesn't work as a comparison IMO. Dunn is a better comparison because I believe he had very similar surgery. Having said that, the original poster's quote of "There's no reason to think he can't come back at full strength" doesn't make much sense to me. Of course there's a possibility he doesn't come back at full strength -- after any major injury like this, and this is a major injury, there is a possibility the player loses something. This doesn't mean KJ won't come back, but to say there is absolutely no concern about him being just as good as before the injury seems strange.
Sometimes sprains can be MORE severe then fractures. I think the reality is no one has a clue how Jones will do...
Sometimes sprains can be more severe, but in Westbrook's case it wasn't true. KJ's is worse and requires a much longer rehabilitation than Westy's did. You're dead on about no one has a clue about how Jones will do, which was my whole point. The original post's comment made it seem like it was impossible he wouldn't come back to 100%.
Personally, i'd stay away. Chances of him BETTER than where he was before the injury is low or even getting to where he was before he got hurt. Upside top-20/25, downside - career over.
He was top-10 before he got hurt, though. Last season if you toss out week 11 (where he got hurt after 11 carries), he was on pace for 1750 total yards and 12 TDs (as well as a whopping 89 receptions). When he finally won the starting job his rookie season, he was on pace for 1690 yards and 9 TDs. His upside isn't top 20/25, it's top 10. Top 10 upside as the 25th-30th RB off the board? Sounds good to me.
come on SSOG; you're better than this . . . WAY better . . . I have read enough of your posts that you are a proponent of footballoutsiders.com DVOA rankings . . .check out these numbers2006Jones -22.3% Harris -5.0%There were only 54 backs ranked (75 carry minimum), and Jones was next to last!! Even though Harris wasn't ranked, PER PLAY he was still better than Jones2005 Jones -6.9%Bryson 7.0%Pinner -4.5%Look at the disparity in 2005. Jones was 3rd in DVOA on his OWN TEAM.2004Jones 2.8%Bryson 26.9%Pinner -7.2%This was the year that every Jones backer hangs their hat on. When he became the starter, blah, blah, blah. He was good (above average), BUT Bryson was MUCH BETTER (per play).The last three years, Jones hasn't (per play) been the best RB on his OWN TEAM. So you can throw out the bad line and Mariucci excuses, etc.And yes, for you people that don't like stats, I have watched plenty of Lions games and I see why Jones isn't that good. I have gone round and round with lions327 on another KJ thread, so I won't repeat that here . . .Admit it; Jones isn't that good . . . time for the Lions to move on . . .

SSOG said:
TaxMan said:
gman8343 said:
There's no reason to think that he cant come back at full strength and just as good as he was before.
Are you sure about this? Isn't this the injury that no RB has come back from and been the same? Didn't it essentially end Duce Staley's career
Westbrook and Dunn both came back from the same injury, and lack of talent stifled staley's career
Westbrook's injury was MUCH LESS SEVERE than KJs. Westbrook had a Lis Franc sprain, KJ had a full blown fracture/dislocation. This doesn't work as a comparison IMO. Dunn is a better comparison because I believe he had very similar surgery. Having said that, the original poster's quote of "There's no reason to think he can't come back at full strength" doesn't make much sense to me. Of course there's a possibility he doesn't come back at full strength -- after any major injury like this, and this is a major injury, there is a possibility the player loses something. This doesn't mean KJ won't come back, but to say there is absolutely no concern about him being just as good as before the injury seems strange.
Sometimes sprains can be MORE severe then fractures. I think the reality is no one has a clue how Jones will do...
Sometimes sprains can be more severe, but in Westbrook's case it wasn't true. KJ's is worse and requires a much longer rehabilitation than Westy's did. You're dead on about no one has a clue about how Jones will do, which was my whole point. The original post's comment made it seem like it was impossible he wouldn't come back to 100%.
Personally, i'd stay away. Chances of him BETTER than where he was before the injury is low or even getting to where he was before he got hurt. Upside top-20/25, downside - career over.
He was top-10 before he got hurt, though. Last season if you toss out week 11 (where he got hurt after 11 carries), he was on pace for 1750 total yards and 12 TDs (as well as a whopping 89 receptions). When he finally won the starting job his rookie season, he was on pace for 1690 yards and 9 TDs. His upside isn't top 20/25, it's top 10. Top 10 upside as the 25th-30th RB off the board? Sounds good to me.
come on SSOG; you're better than this . . . WAY better . . . I have read enough of your posts that you are a proponent of footballoutsiders.com DVOA rankings . . .check out these numbers2006Jones -22.3% Harris -5.0%There were only 54 backs ranked (75 carry minimum), and Jones was next to last!! Even though Harris wasn't ranked, PER PLAY he was still better than Jones2005 Jones -6.9%Bryson 7.0%Pinner -4.5%Look at the disparity in 2005. Jones was 3rd in DVOA on his OWN TEAM.2004Jones 2.8%Bryson 26.9%Pinner -7.2%This was the year that every Jones backer hangs their hat on. When he became the starter, blah, blah, blah. He was good (above average), BUT Bryson was MUCH BETTER (per play).The last three years, Jones hasn't (per play) been the best RB on his OWN TEAM. So you can throw out the bad line and Mariucci excuses, etc.And yes, for you people that don't like stats, I have watched plenty of Lions games and I see why Jones isn't that good. I have gone round and round with lions327 on another KJ thread, so I won't repeat that here . . .Admit it; Jones isn't that good . . . time for the Lions to move on . . .
I bet you have never seen a Lions game, because if you had, you would know the main problem the Lions have had for years is a terrible offensive line.When Mariucci was here, Bryson was the 3rd down RB. Often with his terrible play calling and poor QB play it would be 3rd and long. I can't even begin to say how many times they would run a draw or throw a pass to Bryson on 3rd and long, when the DB's played very deep, and a lot of these there was no chance in hell to get a first down. They did pad his stats. For you to compare Bryson or Pinner to Jones shows you know very little about the Lions, and their RB's and have not actually seen them play. There is no comparison. To say they have outplayed him is just ridiculous.

SSOG said:
TaxMan said:
gman8343 said:
So, if I follow your logic, DET should have kept Pinner. There you go, that's the problem! :goodposting:

Very well? 2006 ypc 3.82005 ypc 3.6Not so much.And if pro-rating helped, I wouldnt be concerned one bit about D.McNabb as my QB this year. I would be too busy polishing my 2006 SB trophy.
Personally, Kevin Jones could have a career ypc of 1, and if he got 100 carries a game, I wouldn't care in the slightest. Kevin Jones could be the worst NFL RB in the history of the game, but as long as he produces top-10 fantasy numbers, then he has performed very well.I understand that pro-rating doesn't help you if a player goes down to injury, but the fact remains that when Kevin Jones has been healthy and on the field, he has produced at a top-10 level. If we're talking about Kevin Jones' upside if he returns to the exact form he was at before he was injured, then we're talking about what Kevin Jones would be if he replicated his success on the field... and in that case, he's a top-10 RB, not RB20-25 as has been suggested. Heck, if Kevin Jones returns to form *and* his line improves, he could potentially be a top-5 RB, so his upside is actually higher still.
Come on SSOG; you're better than this . . . WAY better . . . I have read enough of your posts that you are a proponent of footballoutsiders.com DVOA rankings . . .Admit it; Jones isn't that good . . . time for the Lions to move on . . .
Where did I say that Kevin Jones was a good RB? I don't remember saying that. I certainly said several times that, when healthy, he was a top-10 RB- but that's an easily demonstrable fact, regardless of how good he is. When healthy, he's twice averaged 100+ yards per game. He wound up carrying my fantasy team for the first half of last season. He may not be a great NFL RB (and I never said that he was or that he wasn't), but he *HAS* historically been a great FF RB, or at least he has when healthy.Also, you're abusing the FO stats pretty badly. There's a reason why FO doesn't rank RBs who get less than 50 carres- the sample size is so small as to be statistically meaningless. In addition, backups face advantages that the starter doesn't (they're more rested, facing a tired defense, and the defense doesn't key off against them like they do against the starter). Michael Turner has finished with a better DVOA than Tomlinson for two straight seasons now- are you going to argue that Tomlinson isn't even the best RB in San Diego, too?By the way, you also left out the strongest part of Kevin Jones's game- his receiving. KJ had -22.3 DVOA rushing last year, which is bad... but he had +22.2 DVOA receiving (add them together and what have you got? -.1% DVOA). Harris, on the other hand, had -18.0% DVOA rushing... and -5.0% DVOA receiving. Add them together, and what have you got? -23.0% DVOA.Or if you'd rather do a weighted average... Harris had 49 carries @ -18.0% and 25 targets @ -5.0%, which gives an average of -13.6% DVOA per touch. The weighted DVOA per touch for Kevin Jones... -8.9%, which is once again better than that of Harris.You tell me I'm better than that, but you should be as well. You used the statistics very selectively, ignored sample size, ignored a huge part of Kevin Jones's contributions, and also ignored the fact that backups almost ALWAYS outproduce the starter given the drastically more favorable situations when they're in the game. Kevin Jones has, indeed, been the best RB on his own team in each of the past three seasons. Whether he's been good is up for debate (Schatz himself frequently cautions that DVOA isn't great at separating a player's performance from that of his team, so it doesn't mean that Kevin Jones is horrible running the ball, it means that Kevin Jones is horrible running the ball behind Detroit's OLine with John Kitna keeping defenses honest).
When Mariucci was here, Bryson was the 3rd down RB. Often with his terrible play calling and poor QB play it would be 3rd and long. I can't even begin to say how many times they would run a draw or throw a pass to Bryson on 3rd and long, when the DB's played very deep, and a lot of these there was no chance in hell to get a first down. They did pad his stats.
Actually, DVOA adjusts for situation and rewards success (measured by contribution towards a first down), and also compares to the league average result in that situation, so running for 12 yards on 3rd and 18 counts for practically nothing.

SSOG said:
TaxMan said:
gman8343 said:
I bet you have never seen a Lions game, because if you had, you would know the main problem the Lions have had for years is a terrible offensive line.When Mariucci was here, Bryson was the 3rd down RB. Often with his terrible play calling and poor QB play it would be 3rd and long. I can't even begin to say how many times they would run a draw or throw a pass to Bryson on 3rd and long, when the DB's played very deep, and a lot of these there was no chance in hell to get a first down. They did pad his stats. For you to compare Bryson or Pinner to Jones shows you know very little about the Lions, and their RB's and have not actually seen them play. There is no comparison. To say they have outplayed him is just ridiculous.
This is not the first thread he's making a fool of himself, the question is if he has seen any game... ever

SSOG said:
TaxMan said:
gman8343 said:
come on SSOG; you're better than this . . . WAY better . . . I have read enough of your posts that you are a proponent of footballoutsiders.com DVOA rankings . . .check out these numbers

Jones -22.3%

Harris -5.0%

There were only 54 backs ranked (75 carry minimum), and Jones was next to last!! Even though Harris wasn't ranked, PER PLAY he was still better than Jones

Jones -6.9%

Bryson 7.0%

Pinner -4.5%

Look at the disparity in 2005. Jones was 3rd in DVOA on his OWN TEAM.

Jones 2.8%

Bryson 26.9%

Pinner -7.2%

This was the year that every Jones backer hangs their hat on. When he became the starter, blah, blah, blah. He was good (above average), BUT Bryson was MUCH BETTER (per play).

The last three years, Jones hasn't (per play) been the best RB on his OWN TEAM. So you can throw out the bad line and Mariucci excuses, etc.

And yes, for you people that don't like stats, I have watched plenty of Lions games and I see why Jones isn't that good. I have gone round and round with lions327 on another KJ thread, so I won't repeat that here . . .

Admit it; Jones isn't that good . . . time for the Lions to move on . . .
:rant: Bro, I think you need to get off the HateJonesKool-aid and the EllipseKool-aid. re Jones isn't best back on his team.

You are consistently pointing to Kevin Jones' poor YPC. You like YPC stats, I like YPC stats. Let's look at the teams breakdown of YPC:

Kevin Jones 183 691 3.78

Arlen Harris 49 158 3.22

Lamar Gordon 1 2 2.00

Aveion Cason 24 94 3.92

Brian Calhoun 8 17 2.12

Shawn Bryson 2 1 0.50

TEAM: YPC 3.61

Jones had higher YPC than the team average and significantly higher YPC than every other back on his team except Cason. With the amount of carries Jones has, the YPC he has, and the YPC on the rest of the team, he is really carrying it. As far as Cason, he played in 6 games and had only one with more than 5 carries. It is also not that uncommong for someone with just TWENTY-FOUR carries to have a higher YPC than the guy with the majority of carries.

Watching these two run, or Jones vs any other back on the roster shows an incredible divide in talent. It really does show that, and there is no any question about it. Also, just watching the DET running game (from a rush and rec. standpoint) after Jones was injured just highlighted how great Jones is.

re shawn bryson. :hot:

Bryson didn't have a game with over 7 carries in 2005 and averaged FOUR (4) carries per game. He also had a 1 carry game for 77 yards. That will throw your statistics off.

IMPRESSIVE STATS:

--Can you explain why, Duane, in Jones' last 8 games of his rookie year he put up these stats: 172 carries 902 yards 5.3 YPC. He was a rookie. Does Bryson still look better?

--How about his first 8 games of 2006? 136 carries for 584 yards, 4.3 average. Add in 41 rec. too. No credit for that?

--He is a career 4.1 YPC RB. Marshall Faulk in his first 5 years averaged 4.1 3.7 3.0 4.0 4.1. Is Jones' YPC really that bad?

--Last year, Jones was on pace for 81 receptions, while he averaged 8 yards/reception. To put that in perspective, the top 3 reception totals were 91, 89, 77. Jones finished 5th despite playing 12 games. Some top yards/reception were Bush with 8.4, Gore wtih 8.0, Barber with 7.9.

--Jones had to go against the top rushing defense, Minn twice. In those games, Jones had a total of 19 carries for 5 yards (second game ended short due to injury). This will skew how he looks as a RB.

--He caught 78% of passes thrown his way. Bush had 74%. Gore had 70%. Barber had 72%. Tomlinson had 70%. Jackson had 82%.

You need to do one of the following duane, in any particular order:

(1) Watch the Lions.

(2) Look at stats that have real statistical meaning (ie, with enough carries).

(3) Throw out your obvious bias against Jones.

(4) Stop the love for Bryson, OR ANY DET RB.

(5) youtube.com --> search Kevin Jones.

--Last year, Jones was on pace for 81 receptions, while he averaged 8 yards/reception. To put that in perspective, the top 3 reception totals were 91, 89, 77. Jones finished 5th despite playing 12 games. Some top yards/reception were Bush with 8.4, Gore wtih 8.0, Barber with 7.9.
Actually, it's a bit more impressive than that, because you're including the game where he got injured after 4 carries (no receptions). If you drop the 8 yards he had that game and pro-rate based on 11 games, he would have gotten 89 receptions.

If this is the case...
They traded for Bell because they had no RB depth at all. With Jones coming off a major injury, they had to acquire a proven RB just in case. But if Jones is healthy, it's his job. They did not trade for Bell because they don't think Jones is a good RB, it was strictly about depth and protection in case he doesn't come back for the start of the season. A poor offensive line like the Lions had last year is not an excuse for a below par yards per carry, it is a REASON. The Lions started 3 players toward the end of the season who were 3rd string, including both guards.
Well, I wont argue if it was an excuse or a reason, because I didnt get to see as many games as you did. But too many more reasons like that and Detroit will look to find themselves a new RB along with a new Offensive Line.I just dont see the optimism at this point for KJ. He's in danger of being placed on the PUP before the start of the season, he's already had an injury-plagued career thus far, his offensive line is apparently crap, he's in an offense that's far from run-oriented, and the Lions just recently made a trade to get Tatum Bell.

If I were a KJ owner right now (I dont know if you are or not), the last thing I would be doing is trying to paint a picture of feeling good about him on my roster. :hifive:

Why does every discussion have to boil down to wheter this or that guy is on someones roster ? From what I know of Lions327 he's offering his insight as a Lions fan and couldnt care less about KJ the FF player, smart money says pay attention.

As a KJ owner, I am fasinated by how many owners want to trade for him. Seems like everyone in my league wants him for super cheap. But I am not willing to give him away - yet every owner that does not have him likes to point to all the negatives - over rated, injury prone, pup list, may never come back, Tatum Bell and TJ Duckett in the picture........goes on and on.

I am sure other KJ owners are getting the same vibe - non-owners rip on Kevin Jones then ask to trade for him for super cheap.

As a KJ owner - I would not be at all surprised if he is put on the PUP list. I would like to see the Lions be patient with him. Let him sit out the 1st 6 weeks so he can be 100%. I am confident he will come back and when he does he can be an impact player.

Others have come back from the same injury - why can't KJ?

Why does every discussion have to boil down to wheter this or that guy is on someones roster ? From what I know of Lions327 he's offering his insight as a Lions fan and couldnt care less about KJ the FF player, smart money says pay attention.
If I were a KJ owner the Detroit Lions right now, the last thing I would be doing is trying to paint a picture of feeling good about KJ on my roster.
Fixed it.

NFL Leaders in Yards After Catch (Receivers) (Thru games of Dec. 31, 2006)

Rank Player Team

1 Steven Jackson StL 796

2 Reggie Bush NO 721

3 Brian Westbrook Phi 643

4 Kevin Jones Det 602 (IN 12 GAMES)

5 Donald Driver GB 541

6 LaDainian Tomlinson SD 538

7 Anquan Boldin Ari 504

8 Tiki Barber NYG 493

9 Ladell Betts Was 482

10 Mewelde Moore Min 481

11 Steve Smith Car 474

12 Larry Johnson KC 473

13 Frank Gore SF 466

14 Andre Johnson Hou 460

15 Maurice Jones-Drew Jac 434

16 Ahman Green GB 428

17 Chris Cooley Was 419

18 Terrell Owens Dal 400

19 Mark Clayton Bal 384

20 Marques Colston NO 376

If he comes back healthy??? If he can play at the same level as before the injury??? Then he can be a top 10 FF RB

As a KJ owner, I am fasinated by how many owners want to trade for him. Seems like everyone in my league wants him for super cheap. But I am not willing to give him away - yet every owner that does not have him likes to point to all the negatives - over rated, injury prone, pup list, may never come back, Tatum Bell and TJ Duckett in the picture........goes on and on.

I am sure other KJ owners are getting the same vibe - non-owners rip on Kevin Jones then ask to trade for him for super cheap.

As a KJ owner - I would not be at all surprised if he is put on the PUP list. I would like to see the Lions be patient with him. Let him sit out the 1st 6 weeks so he can be 100%. I am confident he will come back and when he does he can be an impact player.

Others have come back from the same injury - why can't KJ?
No offense, but that's alot of negatives. Some pretty bad ones too. :confused:

If I were a KJ owner the Detroit Lions right now, the last thing I would be doing is trying to paint a picture of feeling good about KJ on my roster.Fixed it.
Fair enough :confused:

Very well?

2006 ypc 3.8

2005 ypc 3.6

Not so much.

And if pro-rating helped, I wouldnt be concerned one bit about D.McNabb as my QB this year. I would be too busy polishing my 2006 SB trophy.
Personally, Kevin Jones could have a career ypc of 1, and if he got 100 carries a game, I wouldn't care in the slightest. Kevin Jones could be the worst NFL RB in the history of the game, but as long as he produces top-10 fantasy numbers, then he has performed very well.I understand that pro-rating doesn't help you if a player goes down to injury, but the fact remains that when Kevin Jones has been healthy and on the field, he has produced at a top-10 level. If we're talking about Kevin Jones' upside if he returns to the exact form he was at before he was injured, then we're talking about what Kevin Jones would be if he replicated his success on the field... and in that case, he's a top-10 RB, not RB20-25 as has been suggested. Heck, if Kevin Jones returns to form *and* his line improves, he could potentially be a top-5 RB, so his upside is actually higher still.

Come on SSOG; you're better than this . . . WAY better . . . I have read enough of your posts that you are a proponent of footballoutsiders.com DVOA rankings . . .

Where did I say that Kevin Jones was a good RB? I don't remember saying that. I certainly said several times that, when healthy, he was a top-10 RB- but that's an easily demonstrable fact, regardless of how good he is. When healthy, he's twice averaged 100+ yards per game. He wound up carrying my fantasy team for the first half of last season. He may not be a great NFL RB (and I never said that he was or that he wasn't), but he *HAS* historically been a great FF RB, or at least he has when healthy.Also, you're abusing the FO stats pretty badly. There's a reason why FO doesn't rank RBs who get less than 50 carres- the sample size is so small as to be statistically meaningless. In addition, backups face advantages that the starter doesn't (they're more rested, facing a tired defense, and the defense doesn't key off against them like they do against the starter). Michael Turner has finished with a better DVOA than Tomlinson for two straight seasons now- are you going to argue that Tomlinson isn't even the best RB in San Diego, too?

By the way, you also left out the strongest part of Kevin Jones's game- his receiving. KJ had -22.3 DVOA rushing last year, which is bad... but he had +22.2 DVOA receiving (add them together and what have you got? -.1% DVOA). Harris, on the other hand, had -18.0% DVOA rushing... and -5.0% DVOA receiving. Add them together, and what have you got? -23.0% DVOA.

Or if you'd rather do a weighted average... Harris had 49 carries @ -18.0% and 25 targets @ -5.0%, which gives an average of -13.6% DVOA per touch. The weighted DVOA per touch for Kevin Jones... -8.9%, which is once again better than that of Harris.

You tell me I'm better than that, but you should be as well. You used the statistics very selectively, ignored sample size, ignored a huge part of Kevin Jones's contributions, and also ignored the fact that backups almost ALWAYS outproduce the starter given the drastically more favorable situations when they're in the game. Kevin Jones has, indeed, been the best RB on his own team in each of the past three seasons. Whether he's been good is up for debate (Schatz himself frequently cautions that DVOA isn't great at separating a player's performance from that of his team, so it doesn't mean that Kevin Jones is horrible running the ball, it means that Kevin Jones is horrible running the ball behind Detroit's OLine with John Kitna keeping defenses honest).

When Mariucci was here, Bryson was the 3rd down RB. Often with his terrible play calling and poor QB play it would be 3rd and long. I can't even begin to say how many times they would run a draw or throw a pass to Bryson on 3rd and long, when the DB's played very deep, and a lot of these there was no chance in hell to get a first down. They did pad his stats.
Actually, DVOA adjusts for situation and rewards success (measured by contribution towards a first down), and also compares to the league average result in that situation, so running for 12 yards on 3rd and 18 counts for practically nothing.
excellent points; and I agree on the bolded part . . .again, reread, I said (per play) Jones wasn't the best back on his team . . . I am familiar with the assertion that a lot of backups (A Peterson (CHI) and M Morris (SEA) ) sometimes have better DVOA numbers . . . that's why I stressed the (per play) angle in my original post . . .

that being said, using the stats AND watching many Lions contests (despite what 327 et al believe) I stand by the conclusion that Jones is not a good back at all . . .

SSOG said:
TaxMan said:
gman8343 said:
come on SSOG; you're better than this . . . WAY better . . . I have read enough of your posts that you are a proponent of footballoutsiders.com DVOA rankings . . .check out these numbers

Jones -22.3%

Harris -5.0%

There were only 54 backs ranked (75 carry minimum), and Jones was next to last!! Even though Harris wasn't ranked, PER PLAY he was still better than Jones

Jones -6.9%

Bryson 7.0%

Pinner -4.5%

Look at the disparity in 2005. Jones was 3rd in DVOA on his OWN TEAM.

Jones 2.8%

Bryson 26.9%

Pinner -7.2%

This was the year that every Jones backer hangs their hat on. When he became the starter, blah, blah, blah. He was good (above average), BUT Bryson was MUCH BETTER (per play).

The last three years, Jones hasn't (per play) been the best RB on his OWN TEAM. So you can throw out the bad line and Mariucci excuses, etc.

And yes, for you people that don't like stats, I have watched plenty of Lions games and I see why Jones isn't that good. I have gone round and round with lions327 on another KJ thread, so I won't repeat that here . . .

:shrug: Bro, I think you need to get off the HateJonesKool-aid and the EllipseKool-aid. re Jones isn't best back on his team.

You are consistently pointing to Kevin Jones' poor YPC. You like YPC stats, I like YPC stats. Let's look at the teams breakdown of YPC:

Kevin Jones 183 691 3.78

Arlen Harris 49 158 3.22

Lamar Gordon 1 2 2.00

Aveion Cason 24 94 3.92

Brian Calhoun 8 17 2.12

Shawn Bryson 2 1 0.50

TEAM: YPC 3.61

Jones had higher YPC than the team average and significantly higher YPC than every other back on his team except Cason. With the amount of carries Jones has, the YPC he has, and the YPC on the rest of the team, he is really carrying it. As far as Cason, he played in 6 games and had only one with more than 5 carries. It is also not that uncommong for someone with just TWENTY-FOUR carries to have a higher YPC than the guy with the majority of carries.

Watching these two run, or Jones vs any other back on the roster shows an incredible divide in talent. It really does show that, and there is no any question about it. Also, just watching the DET running game (from a rush and rec. standpoint) after Jones was injured just highlighted how great Jones is.

re shawn bryson. :)

Bryson didn't have a game with over 7 carries in 2005 and averaged FOUR (4) carries per game. He also had a 1 carry game for 77 yards. That will throw your statistics off.

IMPRESSIVE STATS:

--Can you explain why, Duane, in Jones' last 8 games of his rookie year he put up these stats: 172 carries 902 yards 5.3 YPC. He was a rookie. Does Bryson still look better?

--How about his first 8 games of 2006? 136 carries for 584 yards, 4.3 average. Add in 41 rec. too. No credit for that?

--He is a career 4.1 YPC RB. Marshall Faulk in his first 5 years averaged 4.1 3.7 3.0 4.0 4.1. Is Jones' YPC really that bad?

--Jones had to go against the top rushing defense, Minn twice. In those games, Jones had a total of 19 carries for 5 yards (second game ended short due to injury). This will skew how he looks as a RB.

--He caught 78% of passes thrown his way. Bush had 74%. Gore had 70%. Barber had 72%. Tomlinson had 70%. Jackson had 82%.

You need to do one of the following duane, in any particular order:

(1) Watch the Lions.

(2) Look at stats that have real statistical meaning (ie, with enough carries).

(3) Throw out your obvious bias against Jones.

(4) Stop the love for Bryson, OR ANY DET RB.

(5) youtube.com --> search Kevin Jones.
to refure your points 1) He caught 78% of the passes thrown his way

I have tracked the % caught targets to RBs for the last few years. 78% is the average. Big deal . . .

2) I love how you take pieces of years . . . the last 8 games of 2004 . . . the first 8 games of 2006 . . . LOL . . . sure, throw out this stat and that stat . . . knock yourself out . . .

3) he averaged 8 yards per reception . . . the average the last two years for RBs is 7.8, so he's slightly above average; again, nothing to write home about . . .

and please stop lecturing me about what I have or haven't done . . . again I have watched your boy go to the outside repeatedly instead of fighting for tough yards . . . again, in 2006, with Jones as the primary back, the Lions were DEAD LAST in short yardage situations, and it wasn't close . . . they converted 38% of the time, the next to last team converted half the time; that is HORRIBLE - part of that is the OL, part of that is Jones . . .

I just dont see the optimism at this point for KJ. He's in danger of being placed on the PUP before the start of the season, he's already had an injury-plagued career thus far, his offensive line is apparently crap, he's in an offense that's far from run-oriented, and the Lions just recently made a trade to get Tatum Bell. If I were a KJ owner right now (I dont know if you are or not), the last thing I would be doing is trying to paint a picture of feeling good about him on my roster. :shrug:
Reason for optimism: when he's been on the field, he's been top-10. As cheaply as he can be acquired, that's plenty reason enough for me.Sure, he's been injured so far, but other players have overcome injuries before. Sure, his OL sucks, but that didn't stop him from being a stud before. Sure, his offense is far from run-oriented, but no other offense in the league involves their RBs more in the passing game. Sure, the Lions just acquired TBell, but he's definitely the backup if KJ is healthy, and he's probably gone after this season anyway. There are lots of negatives about KJ, but there have always been a lot of negatives about KJ, and he's still produced at a top-10 pace. The only negative that really concerns me is the injury.

Jun. 9 - 11:11 am et

Lions coach Rod Marinelli acknowledged Friday that Kevin Jones (foot) and Brian Calhoun (torn ACL) are candidates to begin the year on PUP.

http://www.detroitnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...356/1004/SPORTS
so much for "he's running on the side of the field" puff pieces . . .-------------------

they didnt trade for Bell for nothing . . .
Yeah, definitely a high risk/high reward player, especially for redraft. For dynasty I like his long-term prospects better ... and he's been dropping far in initial dynasty drafts ... represents great value IF he returns healthy sometime this year.
:shrug: In a 10-team initial dynasty draft, I got Kevin Jones in the 6th, as the 26th RB off the board, after guys like Brandon Jacobs, Deuce McAllister, and Thomas Jones. After that, I just grabbed Bell in the 10th as some insurance (31st RB off the board). The best part of this strategy is that Tatum is a free agent after this season, so if Kevin Jones proves he's healthy, it's possible Bell goes elsewhere and starts next year, giving you two young starting RBs. And if KJ isn't healthy, then you still have Bell in Detroit.
Any one who takes the gamble at picking Kevin Jonesin a dynasty draft, should absolutely take Tatum Bell.

BTW, I would also take Jacobs, McAllister and

Thomas Jones ahead of Kevin Jones.

I don't think KJ will ever be the same after this injury.

again, in 2006, with Jones as the primary back, the Lions were DEAD LAST in short yardage situations, and it wasn't close . . . they converted 38% of the time, the next to last team converted half the time; that is HORRIBLE - part of that is the OL, part of that is Jones . . .
Actually, according to FO, most of that is the OL. That's why they list it under "Offensive Line" statistics. No team was stuffed more than Detroit, no team was worse in short yardage than Detroit. That's on the OL's shoulders.If you want some evidence that that's the fault of the OLine and not KJ, I can provide it. In 2005, Indy was stuffed less than any other team in the league. In 2008, they were 8th best. In 2005, Arizona was stuffed more than any other team in the league. In 2006, they ranked 31st. That's how much difference Edgerrin James made- he dropped Indy from 1st to 8th, and he raised Arizona from 32nd to 31st. Looks to me like the offensive line is almost entirely responsible for how frequently the RB is stuffed.In fact, look at all of those stats: Stuffed, Power%, 10+ rank, and Adjust Line Yards. In all four cases, Indy ranked about the same with and without James, and Arizona ranked about the same with and without James. Unless you're arguing that Edgerrin James is essentially no better than Marcel Shipp, then that's a pretty clear argument that low rankings in those statistics are the fault of the O-Line far more than the RB.

to refure your points

1) He caught 78% of the passes thrown his way

I have tracked the % caught targets to RBs for the last few years. 78% is the average. Big deal . . .

2) I love how you take pieces of years . . . the last 8 games of 2004 . . . the first 8 games of 2006 . . . LOL . . . sure, throw out this stat and that stat . . . knock yourself out . . .

3) he averaged 8 yards per reception . . . the average the last two years for RBs is 7.8, so he's slightly above average; again, nothing to write home about . . .

and please stop lecturing me about what I have or haven't done . . . again I have watched your boy go to the outside repeatedly instead of fighting for tough yards . . . again, in 2006, with Jones as the primary back, the Lions were DEAD LAST in short yardage situations, and it wasn't close . . . they converted 38% of the time, the next to last team converted half the time; that is HORRIBLE - part of that is the OL, part of that is Jones . . .
Let me get this right, you're saying that average = bad?

to refure your points

where did I say that? I said he is NOT a good back, this post concerns his pass catching ability . . .

again, in 2006, with Jones as the primary back, the Lions were DEAD LAST in short yardage situations, and it wasn't close . . . they converted 38% of the time, the next to last team converted half the time; that is HORRIBLE - part of that is the OL, part of that is Jones . . .
Actually, according to FO, most of that is the OL. That's why they list it under "Offensive Line" statistics. No team was stuffed more than Detroit, no team was worse in short yardage than Detroit. That's on the OL's shoulders.If you want some evidence that that's the fault of the OLine and not KJ, I can provide it. In 2005, Indy was stuffed less than any other team in the league. In 2008, they were 8th best. In 2005, Arizona was stuffed more than any other team in the league. In 2006, they ranked 31st. That's how much difference Edgerrin James made- he dropped Indy from 1st to 8th, and he raised Arizona from 32nd to 31st. Looks to me like the offensive line is almost entirely responsible for how frequently the RB is stuffed.

In fact, look at all of those stats: Stuffed, Power%, 10+ rank, and Adjust Line Yards. In all four cases, Indy ranked about the same with and without James, and Arizona ranked about the same with and without James. Unless you're arguing that Edgerrin James is essentially no better than Marcel Shipp, then that's a pretty clear argument that low rankings in those statistics are the fault of the O-Line far more than the RB.
good points, but I was examining Power rankings (not Stuffed) . . in 2005, Indy was 29th; in 2006 Indy was 22nd . . . pretty good increase . . .

in 2006, Arizona was dead last at 41%, but in 2006 that jumped to 56% . . .

so they weren't essentially the same from year to year . . .

to refure your points

where did I say that? I said he is NOT a good back, this post concerns his pass catching ability . . .
that is HORRIBLE - part of that is the OL, part of that is Jones . . .

to refure your points

that is HORRIBLE - part of that is the OL, part of that is Jones . . .
good grief, its not that complicated . . .HORRIBLE referred to the short yardage performance . . .

AVERAGE refers to his pass catching ability . . .

not sure WHAT you are doing . . .

good grief, its not that complicated . . .

HORRIBLE referred to the short yardage performance . . .

AVERAGE refers to his pass catching ability . . .

not sure WHAT you are doing . . .
NFL Leaders in Yards After Catch (Receivers) (Thru games of Dec. 31, 2006)

Rank Player Team

1 Steven Jackson StL 796

2 Reggie Bush NO 721

3 Brian Westbrook Phi 643

4 Kevin Jones Det 602 (IN 12 GAMES)

5 Donald Driver GB 541

6 LaDainian Tomlinson SD 538

7 Anquan Boldin Ari 504

8 Tiki Barber NYG 493

9 Ladell Betts Was 482

10 Mewelde Moore Min 481

11 Steve Smith Car 474

12 Larry Johnson KC 473

13 Frank Gore SF 466

14 Andre Johnson Hou 460

15 Maurice Jones-Drew Jac 434

16 Ahman Green GB 428

17 Chris Cooley Was 419

18 Terrell Owens Dal 400

19 Mark Clayton Bal 384

20 Marques Colston NO 376
let me rephrase the question... #4 in YAC = Average?

duaneok66 said:
SSOG said:
duaneok66 said:
Actually, according to FO, most of that is the OL. That's why they list it under "Offensive Line" statistics. No team was stuffed more than Detroit, no team was worse in short yardage than Detroit. That's on the OL's shoulders.If you want some evidence that that's the fault of the OLine and not KJ, I can provide it. In 2005, Indy was stuffed less than any other team in the league. In 2008, they were 8th best. In 2005, Arizona was stuffed more than any other team in the league. In 2006, they ranked 31st. That's how much difference Edgerrin James made- he dropped Indy from 1st to 8th, and he raised Arizona from 32nd to 31st. Looks to me like the offensive line is almost entirely responsible for how frequently the RB is stuffed.

In fact, look at all of those stats: Stuffed, Power%, 10+ rank, and Adjust Line Yards. In all four cases, Indy ranked about the same with and without James, and Arizona ranked about the same with and without James. Unless you're arguing that Edgerrin James is essentially no better than Marcel Shipp, then that's a pretty clear argument that low rankings in those statistics are the fault of the O-Line far more than the RB.
good points, but I was examining Power rankings (not Stuffed) . . in 2005, Indy was 29th; in 2006 Indy was 22nd . . . pretty good increase . . .

Arizona went from 32nd to 26th- a boost of 6 slots, which is essentially the same. Indy went up 7 slots. I really don't know how you can pin either behavior on Edgerrin James... either Edge was a horrible RB in power situations, and that's why Indy increased when he left... or else Edge was great in power situations, and that's why Arizona increased when he left. Really, the simplest explanation for both increases is just simple regression to the mean.Also, Duane, I'm curious how you can call Kevin Jones an "average" passcatching RB, since FO rated him 8th in DVOA and 2nd in DPAR. Either you like FO's stats and he's a stud passcatcher, or you prefer standard stats and he's just average. You can't pick and choose, referencing FO's stats when they support your point and then completely ignoring them when they don't.

duaneok66 said:
SSOG said:
duaneok66 said:

Arizona went from 32nd to 26th- a boost of 6 slots, which is essentially the same. Indy went up 7 slots. I really don't know how you can pin either behavior on Edgerrin James... either Edge was a horrible RB in power situations, and that's why Indy increased when he left... or else Edge was great in power situations, and that's why Arizona increased when he left. Really, the simplest explanation for both increases is just simple regression to the mean.Also, Duane, I'm curious how you can call Kevin Jones an "average" passcatching RB, since FO rated him 8th in DVOA and 2nd in DPAR. Either you like FO's stats and he's a stud passcatcher, or you prefer standard stats and he's just average. You can't pick and choose, referencing FO's stats when they support your point and then completely ignoring them when they don't.
1) an increase from 41% to 56% (38%) is not "essentially the same" . . .2) You brought up Edge; I was just stating that you were using Stuffed instead of Power . . .

3) I will give you the last paragraph, in DVOA he was in the top 10, so he should be considered above average in receiving in 2006 . . .

1) an increase from 41% to 56% (38%) is not "essentially the same" . . .2) You brought up Edge; I was just stating that you were using Stuffed instead of Power . . .3) I will give you the last paragraph, in DVOA he was in the top 10, so he should be considered above average in receiving in 2006 . . .
1) I was looking at the ranks, not the percentages. If a team goes from -50% on offense to -30% on offense, does the size of the increase really matter if they're the worst offense in the entire league both seasons?2) I started with Stuffed, then said that similar conclusions could have been drawn from any of the other stats. You questioned me on Power, so I demonstrated how the same conclusion could be drawn from Power stats. If you want, I'll repeat the process with the other stats, too.3) Even now, you're using language to marginalize his accomplishments as much as possible. He wasn't "above average" catching the ball last year, he was a STUD catching the ball last year. His DVOA was over 22%, and his sample size was large enough to show it wasn't a fluke. He was #2 in the league in DPAR. If he was a WR, he still would have ranked in the top 10 in DVOA. He did all of this despite a pretty darn poor supporting cast.

duaneok66 said:
KING said:
Looking for a league that prorates, so i can draft kevin jones. please IM
classic . . .
So is he a bad back, or an oft-injured back. Two different things and you flip-flop between the two quite a bit.
the two aren't mutually exclusive . . .
But you're crossing arguments here:(1) You admit he can put up fantasy points that can look good when pro-rated. (2) You say he's not a good back (fantasy and real world).If you don't think he's a good back, how can he put up points that look good when pro-rated?

In three of the drafts I've done thus far Bell has slipped anywhere from the 7th to 9th rounds. I have picked him up in all three of these leagues, but for my next pick or pick-after-next I have always targeted Jones. I'll be more than happy to have both of them ride my bench until a started is locked. I wouldn't count on a KJ/Bell combo to be my #2 RB, but for bench spots and bye week fillers having the starting RB in a Martz system is a big bonus, and both RB's can be easily obtained if drafted wisely. I agree with most the folks here, if KJ is healthy then he'll be starting, but IMO if you draft one to your team them make sure you use a close pick for the other.

If you've got your picks on the turn, a 7/8 pick or 8/9 pick of these 2 guys could be VERY valuable. Same goes for Dunn/Norwood. Guys on the turns at those points in the draft should be looking out for these 2 combos that could prove very rewarding.

In three of the drafts I've done thus far Bell has slipped anywhere from the 7th to 9th rounds. I have picked him up in all three of these leagues, but for my next pick or pick-after-next I have always targeted Jones. I'll be more than happy to have both of them ride my bench until a started is locked. I wouldn't count on a KJ/Bell combo to be my #2 RB, but for bench spots and bye week fillers having the starting RB in a Martz system is a big bonus, and both RB's can be easily obtained if drafted wisely. I agree with most the folks here, if KJ is healthy then he'll be starting, but IMO if you draft one to your team them make sure you use a close pick for the other.
Do I understand you right? Tatum Bell is actually going before Kevin Jones now? :rolleyes:

Not trying to thread-hijack, but since we're talking about rounds 7-9...is the general opinion that Bell/Joes are as valuable as Michael Turner? Even to an LT owner?

I just don't know if Martz would stick with just one or use both if healthy, and I don't know if Jones will ever be really healthy, and Detroit is a crappy team with a lot of WR talent...and those are a lot of variables. But again, this is the 7-9 area of the draft. Lots of question marks.

Not trying to thread-hijack, but since we're talking about rounds 7-9...is the general opinion that Bell/Joes are as valuable as Michael Turner? Even to an LT owner?I just don't know if Martz would stick with just one or use both if healthy, and I don't know if Jones will ever be really healthy, and Detroit is a crappy team with a lot of WR talent...and those are a lot of variables. But again, this is the 7-9 area of the draft. Lots of question marks.
Just look what Martz was able to do with Faulk even on a passy happy team. Of course, Faulk is Faulk, but KJ showed last year that he could put up some great points. And Tatum Bell fits better into that offense. Whichever guy gets that gig could put up a lot of points. The question is getting the right guy with KJ's injury. Which is why if you've had a nice draft and can get both of these, the final product could be the equivalent of a 2nd or 3rd round pick, I think.

Do I understand you right? Tatum Bell is actually going before Kevin Jones now? :topcat:
I've been doing alot of mock drafts and Bell before Jones is true. Right Now. Once camp opens we'll see if that remains the case. People are generally worried and probably should be.

I think KJ is undraftable. I just don't think there is any way he is going to pan out this year. I would rather use that pick on someone else with better upside. Even if in the last rounds of my draft! He is an injury waiting to happen.

Not trying to thread-hijack, but since we're talking about rounds 7-9...is the general opinion that Bell/Joes are as valuable as Michael Turner? Even to an LT owner?

I just don't know if Martz would stick with just one or use both if healthy, and I don't know if Jones will ever be really healthy, and Detroit is a crappy team with a lot of WR talent...and those are a lot of variables. But again, this is the 7-9 area of the draft. Lots of question marks.
Just look what Martz was able to do with Faulk even on a passy happy team. Of course, Faulk is Faulk, but KJ showed last year that he could put up some great points. And Tatum Bell fits better into that offense. Whichever guy gets that gig could put up a lot of points. The question is getting the right guy with KJ's injury. Which is why if you've had a nice draft and can get both of these, the final product could be the equivalent of a 2nd or 3rd round pick, I think.
How is a RB who is awful in the receiving game a better fit for a Martz offense?

I've been in a couple Yahoo 14 team PPR drafts this week; 3WR, 2RB, no Flex;

In both I've taken KJones and in both it was after TinkerBell was taken

League 1 Bell went @ 5.10 and I took Jones @ 6.1 (71)

League 2 Bell went earlier @ 4.4 and I managed to take Jones @ 8.3 (101) :shrug: 30 picks later than League 1

... so it really depends a great deal on the way the draft is unfolding, who your drafting with and your particular team need (in both leagues I was at the back end of the draft) and your penchant for a High Risk/High Reward type of Rb if your looking at Jones being part of your squad this season.

I think once training camps open and we get closer to serious drafting this picture will hopefully clear up ... but for now it's a crapshoot!

:popcorn:

I think taking Bell before Jones is just crazy unless someone knows for a fact Jones will be out for a long time...and right now, that is not known.

Users who are viewing this thread