What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lache Seastrunk - RB - Baylor (4 Viewers)

Shutout said:
This guy looks like the recipe to be yet another extremely frustrating fantasy player. He dazzles you with speed but, year after year, we see that if you can not run inside, the speed trick lasts about one season.

The thing he is going to have a problem with in the NFL is, while his agility is really impressive (and I have to say his balance and the way he keeps his feet underneath his body is rare), he commits the cardinal sin of not keeping his feet moving. He has basketball moves instead of football moves and that stopping works in college but in the NFL, the competition is faster...Much faster. He won't get away with it at the NFL level.

In contrast, look at a guy like Bishop Sankey and you will see a player who might change direction 5-6 times in a run that only goes 7 yards but he never interupts the flow of his feet. As soon as the direction changes, the other foot is alread crossing back into the area under his center of balance. Sankey will be a highly effective runner in the NFL, IMO.
Pretty good analysis. It's exactly where I am on him. It's David Wilson 2.0. Awesome athlete who is going to flash the big play here and there, but doesn't have the footwork to be consistently good.

Soulfly3 said:
Eminence said:
"Lache, here's the ball in space. Enjoy."

I want him to become a Saint.
You want him sharing 200 carries w 4 other backs?
Lol, I'm suggesting he phases out Darren Sproles. I don't care about this guys carries, in that New Orleans Offense he'll be money.

Ingram is only getting carries because of his draft status.

Robinson is decent.

Sproles has lost a step.

Seastrunk breathes life into that Saints Offense. New Orleans needs to go back to the first 2-years it had Sproles, with a back shifty like that; that Offense can go to work in the no-huddle.

Shutout said:
This guy looks like the recipe to be yet another extremely frustrating fantasy player. He dazzles you with speed but, year after year, we see that if you can not run inside, the speed trick lasts about one season.

The thing he is going to have a problem with in the NFL is, while his agility is really impressive (and I have to say his balance and the way he keeps his feet underneath his body is rare), he commits the cardinal sin of not keeping his feet moving. He has basketball moves instead of football moves and that stopping works in college but in the NFL, the competition is faster...Much faster. He won't get away with it at the NFL level.

In contrast, look at a guy like Bishop Sankey and you will see a player who might change direction 5-6 times in a run that only goes 7 yards but he never interupts the flow of his feet. As soon as the direction changes, the other foot is alread crossing back into the area under his center of balance. Sankey will be a highly effective runner in the NFL, IMO.
Pretty good analysis. It's exactly where I am on him. It's David Wilson 2.0. Awesome athlete who is going to flash the big play here and there, but doesn't have the footwork to be consistently good.
I don't think you draft him to feature him as a 3 down running back. He's a guy you want catching the ball and getting in space.

Disclaimer: I only play PPR

I agree that the Seastrunk 40 time isn't that concerning. My biggest concern for him this combine was how he looked catching the ball, and what I saw was encouraging. He'll likely need a decent amount of time to learn pass protection, so that's still a hurdle he'll need to overcome (as it is for many college backs), but the overall this combine is a "plus" in his column for me.

I don't know that he's my #1 guy post-combine/pre-draft, as I'd like to see the cone/shuttle data before I finalize that, but I think he's firmly in my top 5 at this point barring something really unexpected.

Carey had an abysmal day. I'm not sure what to make of him at this point. A. Williams' performance in the passing drills will likely earn him a ranking that neuters any chance of me drafting him.

Edit:

My pre-combine top 5 was Seastrunk, Sankey, Carey, Mason, Hyde (in that order).

Based off what I've seen so far this weekend, Carey will be dropping out and Sims will be moving in. There might be some more movement when the results of the other drills come out.
I don't believe Seastrunk participated in any of the agility drills, which was a mistake IMO unless he's injured. He jumps out of the gym, runs an OK 40 (to me it seemed like his starts were bad, which would easily explain the lower-than-expected time), and then apparently stopped… weird.

Disclaimer: I only play PPR

I agree that the Seastrunk 40 time isn't that concerning. My biggest concern for him this combine was how he looked catching the ball, and what I saw was encouraging. He'll likely need a decent amount of time to learn pass protection, so that's still a hurdle he'll need to overcome (as it is for many college backs), but the overall this combine is a "plus" in his column for me.

I don't know that he's my #1 guy post-combine/pre-draft, as I'd like to see the cone/shuttle data before I finalize that, but I think he's firmly in my top 5 at this point barring something really unexpected.

Carey had an abysmal day. I'm not sure what to make of him at this point. A. Williams' performance in the passing drills will likely earn him a ranking that neuters any chance of me drafting him.

Edit:

My pre-combine top 5 was Seastrunk, Sankey, Carey, Mason, Hyde (in that order).

Based off what I've seen so far this weekend, Carey will be dropping out and Sims will be moving in. There might be some more movement when the results of the other drills come out.
I don't believe Seastrunk participated in any of the agility drills, which was a mistake IMO unless he's injured. He jumps out of the gym, runs an OK 40 (to me it seemed like his starts were bad, which would easily explain the lower-than-expected time), and then apparently stopped… weird.
That's very disappointing. Hopefully he puts in a full effort at the Baylor pro day.

Soulfly3 said:
Eminence said:

Lol, I'm suggesting he phases out Darren Sproles. I don't care about this guys carries, in that New Orleans Offense he'll be money.

Robinson is decent.

Sproles has lost a step.

Seastrunk breathes life into that Saints Offense. New Orleans needs to go back to the first 2-years it had Sproles, with a back shifty like that; that Offense can go to work in the no-huddle.
Only decent? He had better 3 cone and 10 yard split times than Bernard. Bill Parcells compared him to Curtis Martin.

Robinson is decent.

Sproles has lost a step.

I'm still thinking this guy becomes a Saint, it makes too much sense. He's everything Sean Payton wants out of a Running Back and can be utilized almost identically to Reggie Bush a few years back.

Robinson is decent.

Sproles has lost a step.

I'm still thinking this guy becomes a Saint, it makes too much sense. He's everything Sean Payton wants out of a Running Back and can be utilized almost identically to Reggie Bush a few years back.
But, Reggie Bush didn't do so well when he was a Saint.

Xue said:

Robinson is decent.

Sproles has lost a step.

Maybe my memory is failing but wasn't Reggie Bush a decent producer before the injuries while on the Saints?

Xue said:

Robinson is decent.

Sproles has lost a step.

Maybe my memory is failing but wasn't Reggie Bush a decent producer before the injuries while on the Saints?
Top 5 in PPG his first couple years when healthy. However, Seastrunk is no Reggie Bush.

Xue said:

Robinson is decent.

Sproles has lost a step.

Top 5 in PPG his first couple years when healthy. However, Seastrunk is no Reggie Bush.
I know, because he's better.

Xue said:

Robinson is decent.

Sproles has lost a step.

For real? I hope you are right. He's on my college roster! What makes you think this though? What's up with Mayock not putting him in his top 5? What are you seeing that he isn't?

Xue said:

Robinson is decent.

Sproles has lost a step.

For real? I hope you are right. He's on my college roster! What makes you think this though? What's up with Mayock not putting him in his top 5? What are you seeing that he isn't?
Who the hell knows? You think EBF? CSTU?, ME? I don't think so. None of us knows squat about this crap. and It's all a crap shoot, didn't you know that? Just as the statement made by ShaHBucks is shallow, I guess his opinion is as good as anyone's. If you ask him why Seastrunk is the worse player he's seen, which he so conveniently didn't supply us with, he wouldn't be able to truthfully answer it, or he would just make something up. Truth be known, none of us GM wannabees are qualified to judge which player is the best prospect. I'll simply say that Seastrunk looks very explosive to me and is willing to run between the tackles and there are a few other probable lame reasons I won't bore you with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Xue said:

Robinson is decent.

Sproles has lost a step.

Who the hell knows? You think EBF? CSTU?, ME? I don't think so. None of us knows squat about this crap. and It's all a crap shoot, didn't you know that? Just as the statement made by ShaHBucks is shallow, I guess his opinion is as good as anyone's, but if you asked him why Seastrunk is the worse player he's seen he wouldn't be able to truthfully answer it, or just make something up. I'll simply say that Seastrunk looks very explosive to me and is willing to run between the tackles and there are a few other reasons I won't bore you with.
Haha. That is probably the most honest post I have ever read. I will say this though. I think you guys know what you are doing. At least the people mentioned above. Often people have biases that predispose them to dislike or like certain players more than others. For example, the "I like 6'3" WRs" or the "this RB can't block or catch" crowds, etc. Maybe we are making it too complicated. When I have watched Seastrunk he looked quick/fast and was running well inside so I targeted him last season. Then the analysts started to hate him so I figured maybe it was his system or offensive line. At the end of the day, much comes down to where the players land. All that said, I think this forum is a good place to come for information that - in my opinion - is a cut above the rest and probably better than most analysts. Could you all be wrong? Sure. It's the name of the game. Don't get me started on Trent Richardson again...

Robinson is decent.

Sproles has lost a step.

I'm referring to his actual performance. Sub-4 YPC his first 3 seasons. That's awful for someone with his speed. Darren Sproles averaged 5+ YPC his first 2 seasons there.

I'm referring to his actual performance. Sub-4 YPC his first 3 seasons. That's awful for someone with his speed. Darren Sproles averaged 5+ YPC his first 2 seasons there.
But weren't a decent chunk of those carries draw plays on like 3rd and 15 where 8-10 yards isn't exactly all that great?

I thought overall Reggie did decent in New Orleans. He didn't live up to his draft status there, but that doesn't mean he wasn't a decent player.

In general, this thread has done a pretty good break down of flaws and strengths. On thing I noticed was in the WV (I think) he gets caught for a loss trying to stretch out a run. Then the next couple times he plows forward through the line. This is good. Either he realized he needed to go forward and did or he was told to run straight and did. Both options are positives.

The tough part with coaching a guy like this is you want to find the right balance between leaving him room to be creative running and always turning it up field and getting the hard yards. There was a few times I was thinking "just turn up field and get those yards" then he cut or went a different direction and got more then just turning up field would've got.

He has it in him to be great but it's a gamble. If he works on it he could be an amazing one cut and go guy. I'd like to see him in a two back set in Washington.

Saw some unofficial times for 3 cone (6.8) and 20 yd shuttle (4.31) - that shuttle is quite slow, but not all that concerning. The 3 cone isn't anything special either, but not abnormal. I think Charles put up similar numbers.

I'm happy he bumped up his 40 time, he just didn't look comfortable at the combine and ran with his eyes closed.

I think it's clear what he is in games and has rare explosiveness. I'll take him over any of the other backs in the draft all day.

Here is a Seastrunk interview after the workout today.

A few interesting things:

Apparently he said "my God" when crossed the line after his first 40, alluding to how fast he ran and good it felt.

He mentioned possibly being a 1st or 2nd round pick and was then questioned specifically about it. He then gave a PC answer which is to be expected. But it sure seems like he expects to be drafted much earlier than some of the pundits are saying right now.

Has visits coming up with Steelers and Bills.

Edit to add this funny quote: "Y'all want me to say I'm gonna be the best RB in NFL history? I ain't even pissed in the NFL yet. I'm not sayin anything."

Lastly, he said something about not doing all of the drills at the combine "because we was on a time crunch". I never did hear publicly why so many RBs passed on the agility drills, but it seems like they just ran out of time for a group of the RBs to do the 3 cone and short shuttle. :shrug:

This guy looks pretty good on tape. My only concern is that I do see some Michael Bennett in some of his runs: fast, finesse runner with average power. But he has much better elusiveness and start/stop agility. Fumbles could also be an issue ala David Wilson. But he has the talent to be a late first round pick.

Rotoworld:

NFL Films' Greg Cosell says Baylor RB Lache Seastrunk is his favorite "supplemental" back in this draft.
While not a franchise back capable of playing all three downs, the Bears' star has "short area burst, he's quick through the hole, he's got some explosive traits to him, he can get to the perimeter, he can bounce, he's a shifty back," according to Cosell. The NFL team that selects Seastrunk will likely determine how his career plays out. He will fit like a glove in a spread system that uses its backs as receivers.

Source: Stationcaster

The Bills interest is somewhat strange... they want 2 Spillers?

I like the Steeler interest, that would be a nice spot for him IMO.

Gio Bernard was a supplemental player last year and I'd give the #1 pick in this draft for him. I think Seastrunk has similar skill. If he goes in the 2nd round of the nfl draft I think he's probably worthy of a mid first dynasty pick.

I just rewatched some of his tape and I got the feeling I was watching Johnny Manziel run around. He looks like he flails around a lot, similar to Johnny and it has gotten me a little concerned. Anyway just curious if others got that impression as well.

There's definitely a jerky quality to his running style and cutting. I've tried to describe it before and never really been able to summarize it well. If you've watched a lot of his clips then maybe you know what I'm talking about. He's only 5'9", but he seems to have long strides and long legs. Almost to the point where it takes great effort on his part to redirect his momentum. It's an odd thing, but not necessarily a deal breaker.

I think there's a bit of a boom-or-bust quality to him as a prospect. Some really nice qualities. Some things that are a little concerning.

Rotoworld:

After studying their college tape, NFL Films' Greg Cosell lumped Baylor's Lache Seastrunk, Washington's Bishop Sankey, and Arizona's Ka'Deem Carey into a group of spread offense-type backs and/or rotational runners.
"If you're going to run as your foundation offense, a three-wide, one-back spread-type offense, then you can play I believe with the Lache Seastrunks, maybe a Bishop Sankey, maybe a Ka'Deem Carey," said Cosell. "If you're going to line up with you know, 12 personnel, one back, two tight ends, or two backs and one tight end, I'm not sure those guys can do that for you on a consistent basis." Seastrunk is one of the most gifted natural runners in this year's class, but stands just 5-foot-9, 201, is awful in pass protection, and was rarely used as a pass catcher. He's like a poor man's David Wilson.

Source: Ross Tucker Podcast

Rotoworld:

Baylor RB Lache Seastrunk is visiting the Steelers on Tuesday.
Beat writer Gerry Dulac says Seastrunk is high on the team's list at running back, which is not surprising since they lack a ball carrier with his speed from the backfield. Le'Veon Bell is a good receiver for his size, and the Steelers just signed a battering ram in LeGarrette Blount, but Seastrunk would add speed out in space.

Source: Gerry Dulac on Twitter

Rotoworld:

Baylor RB Lache Seastrunk had more dropped passes (10) than receptions (9) during his two-year college career.
He was the only starting tailback in the nation last season to not register a single catch. Seastrunk spent 2010 as a redshirt at Oregon, sat out 2011 as an ineligible transfer, and became Baylor's lead back as a freshman and sophomore before declaring for the draft. He'll be a 23-year-old rookie. Seastrunk is dynamic in space, but projects as a change-of-pace back at 5-foot-9, 201.

Source: Packer Report

Faust said:
Rotoworld:

Baylor RB Lache Seastrunk had more dropped passes (10) than receptions (9) during his two-year college career.

He was the only starting tailback in the nation last season to not register a single catch. Seastrunk spent 2010 as a redshirt at Oregon, sat out 2011 as an ineligible transfer, and became Baylor's lead back as a freshman and sophomore before declaring for the draft. He'll be a 23-year-old rookie. Seastrunk is dynamic in space, but projects as a change-of-pace back at 5-foot-9, 201.

I'm really not seeing the love afair most people have about this guy. He's a COP speed RB who can't catch the ball. Not a good recipe for success in the NFL. He's good space, sure. Getting him there is going to be a difficult task though. He looks like a ST player to me.

Faust said:
Rotoworld:

I'm really not seeing the love afair most people have about this guy. He's a COP speed RB who can't catch the ball. Not a good recipe for success in the NFL. He's good space, sure. Getting him there is going to be a difficult task though. He looks like a ST player to me.
He had 20 opportunities in 2 years. They just didn't pass the ball at Baylor. This "can't catch the ball" talk is way overblown IMO. He looked like a natural during the combine and his pro-day.

There aren't a lot of backs in this draft with "wow" qualities and for me he's still one of them even with all the warts.

Not to say he's going to end up nearly this good, but MJD and Charles were touted as change of pace backs coming into the NFL and both those guys ended up becoming much more. With the way the league is moving there is room for a smallish RB to make a pretty big FF impact (talking more about Gio/McCoy/Rice/Charles/Spiller than MJD, who is huge for his height). That's why I have a strong urge to rank Seastrunk ahead of more prototypical three down backs like Hyde and Hill who don't necessarily have the talent to make an impact without an ideal starting opportunity. Seastrunk may be more likely to force the issue wherever he ends up since he may provide more value over replacement with the touches that he gets. A guy like Hyde seems more like a plug and play mediocrity ala LeVeon Bell.

Users who are viewing this thread