What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

LaGarrette Blount (1 Viewer)

I've never been 1 to buy into the "well he woulda had this long run if not for a penalty" crap. His 46 was all him, and the penalty was idiotic. Blount had already beaten the guy. I am a Blount owner, and I am cautiously optimistic. After we were all on his jock during his bye week, we got deflated when he was inactive. The only reason he got in my lineup yesterday was that Graham was inactive. The backfield is still crowded, even with Hudgins out. We bought into the hype of him being the GL back, and then out of nowhere, Graham is the man. So where does this leave us now? Is Graham simply the odd man out? Or, is this gonna be an RBBC nightmare. Yesterday was proof that a Blount/Caddy mix would probably be very fruitful for Blount owners. A Blount/Graham/Caddy mix, not so much. Another plus, his schedule from here on out looks very nice!
Very :goodposting: Graham being inactive yesterday was key. What the picture looks like once he's back is anyone's guess, but it can only get worse for Blount.

Bucs rookie RB Blount earns more playing time

By FRED GOODALL, AP Sports Writer

1 hour, 29 minutes ago

TAMPA, Fla. (AP)—LeGarrette Blount’s(notes) most enjoyable run wasn’t when he broke two tackles at the line of scrimmage and dragged two other defenders for a 9-yard gain. Nor was it the fourth-quarter carry he turned into a 46-yard jaunt that was wiped out by a penalty.

It wasn’t even a play he made—it was one by Cadillac Williams.

When Williams caught the go-ahead touchdown pass in the closing seconds of Tampa Bay’s 18-17 victory Sunday over the St. Louis Rams, the 6-foot, 247-pound Blount sprinted from the bench area to congratulate the veteran he’s competing with for playing time.

ADVERTISEMENT

“It was awesome,” the former Oregon star said. “Everybody else had their helmets on, so I was afraid I was going to get hit in the head by somebody trying to celebrate with him.”

The winning catch, at the end of a 16-play, 81-yard drive, may not have been possible without a breakout performance from Blount, the rookie running back best known for punching an opposing player after a game in college.

Blount, signed the week of the season opener after being released by Tennessee, may have earned an expanded role in the Buccaneers’ offense this week against Arizona. He rushed for a career-best 72 yards on 11 carries, including 10 times for 66 yards in the second half to help Bucs (4-2) overcome a 17-3 deficit.

The 23-year-old went undrafted after being suspended at Oregon for punching Boise State’s Byron Hout following a loss in the Ducks’ 2009 season opener. He signed with Tennessee in April and remained with the Titans through training camp and the preseason.

Intrigued by Blount’s combination of size, speed, quickness and power and hoping to find a “big” back capable of sharing playing time with Williams, coach Raheem Morris and general manager Mark Dominick were eager to give him a chance to stick with Tampa Bay.

Blount flashed his potential in his pro debut in Week 3, rushing for 27 yards on six carries and scoring his first NFL touchdown during a loss to Pittsburgh. He was less successful the next time out, gaining three yards on four carries in a win over Cincinnati two weeks ago.

The rookie would have had an even bigger day against St. Louis if tackle Jeremy Trueblood(notes) hadn’t drawn a penalty for pushing a defender in the back on his long run up the right sideline.

“You can’t say enough about the young man. … He runs hard, he runs resilient, he runs tough,” Morris said. “He’s kind of a symbol of our football team. … He’s young, he’s in the fight, he’s playing fast, he’s playing hard. He’s learning every single day.”

Nevertheless, the coach has been reluctant to use Blount because he’s still learning pass protection responsibilities.

Even after Sunday’s strong performance, Morris is not ready to thrust him into a starting role ahead of Williams, who’s averaging 2.5 yards per carry. Blount has averaged 4.9 yards per attempt in the three games he’s been active.

“Everybody has a role right now for us, and we’re not going to play the game of fighting daggers and throwing stones for who’s going to run out of the tunnel,” Morris said.

Williams, the 2005 NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year who been slowed much of his career by injuries, rushed for 12 yards on four carries against the Rams. He led the team with eight receptions for 34 yards, including the 1-yard game-winner with 10 seconds left.

“You’ve got to keep getting better. You’ve got to grow each outing. Yesterday, we showed some growth,” Morris said Monday.

“We showed what we can be by both backs going out there and being productive. One was very productive running the ball and the other was very productive with his pass catching ability and protection abilities. … Those guys played well together.”

The Bucs entered training camp with expectations that former 1,000-yard rusher Derrick Ward(notes) would share the workload with Williams.

When Ward struggled during the preseason, he was released. Kareem Huggins(notes) earned a shot at filling the role, but injuries took him out of the picture.

Offensive coordinator Greg Olson is encouraged by Blount’s progress.

“We’ve always talked about it being a big man’s game,” Olson said. “He’s obviously a big, big person. … He’s got tremendous strength and power, so we’re excited. We think he’ll get better as we go along.”

Tampa Bay Buccaneers offensive coordinator Greg Olson indicated the team plans to use the tandem of RBs LeGarrette Blount and Cadillac Williams as their primary running back rotation, according to Rick Stroud, of the St. Petersburg Times. However, he was quick to note that Williams will not be limited to third-down duty. 'When you see the game as you watch (Blount), we've always talked about it being a big man's game, and he's obviously a big person, and he showed it (Sunday),' Olson said. 'He's got tremendous strength and power in his running game. So we were excited in what we saw ... We're excited about his first outing, and we think he'll get better as we go along, so there's no reason not to believe he will be a guy who will continue to carry the ball for us.'

FBG View: LeGarrette Blount has proven to be a tough inside runner who can wear down a defense as the game goes on. Because of his size/strength combination he also makes a great option when the Bucs get to the goalline. Cadillac is still a strong runner himself, and can be effectively used as a receiver out of the backfield.

TB's schedule week 14 - 16@WAS, DET, SEA
WAS and DET offer good matchups, but SEA is more than solid against the run. I think they currently rank #2 in rushing yards allowed per game.
Is that legit or a product of being passed on a lot?
I think it's actually legit, but I'd have to go back and look at it.
This is a team commitment via head coach Pete Carroll. They will give up passing yards in the early downs selling out to stop the run. The formula is pretty basic. Stuff the run no matter what on early downs forcing 3rd and long passing situations. Unleash havoc up front on third and long allowing his new toy (FS Earl Thomas) to pick off passes down field. So far, this formula has been effective. They've also put together an exciting bunch of blitz packages together that has forced teams into huge mistakes. Will it continue? My guess (hope) is that it will.

Last edited by a moderator:
WAS and DET offer good matchups, but SEA is more than solid against the run. I think they currently rank #2 in rushing yards allowed per game.
This is a team commitment via head coach Pete Carroll. They will give up passing yards in the early downs selling out to stop the run. The formula is pretty basic. Stuff the run no matter what on early downs forcing 3rd and long passing situations. Unleash havoc up front on third and long allowing his new toy (FS Earl Thomas) to pick off passes down field. So far, this formula has been effective. They've also put together an exciting bunch of blitz packages together that has forced teams into huge mistakes. Will it continue? My guess (hope) is that it will.
:thumbup:I think Carroll has generally been underrated as a defensive coach.

Sea vs TB Week 16 could be for a playoff spot then. Would Blount play harder if more was on the line? Hmmm....

Sea vs TB Week 16 could be for a playoff spot then. Would Blount play harder if more was on the line? Hmmm....
I doubt Blount could play any harder than he already is. He looks like he's about to blast off out of the stadium on every run.

I doubt Blount could play any harder than he already is. He looks like he's about to blast off out of the stadium on every run.
Thats good to hear. I'm probably going to use him this week instead of Lynch. What do I have to lose except another game.

Blount and Fred Jackson are available to me via trade. PPR redraft..

Really struggling here I think both guys are on the uptick and I like both of the matchups this week.

Look at me who should I start and all that..

Dropping Hightower for him ... better upside - :shrug: Looking for someone to step up as my # 2 RB and I believe he has a better chance.

It will be interesting to see where FBG ranks Blount this week. There are a lot of RBs on bye this week leaving their owners scrambling for replacements. I'm trying to decide between him and Michael Bush.

TB's schedule week 14 - 16

@WAS, DET, SEA
Seattle's defense is #2 in rushing yards per game, which could certainly be a product of being passed on a lot.However, Seattle is also #2 is rushing yards per attempt. That's not something you'd expect if it was just a matter of giving up lots of passing yards. They are definitely committed to stopping the run.

Seahawks have a very stout running defense. And all this without their best run defender, Mebeane. The Hawks are 4-2, due perhaps 85% to their defense and special teams. Their pass defense is average at best, but their run defense is legitimate.

Let's stay in the moment for now everyone. Let's just see how he does this week vs Ariz now that defenses will scheme against him. For those that are using him, best of luck. I'm really rooting for this guy.

Let's stay in the moment for now everyone. Let's just see how he does this week vs Ariz now that defenses will scheme against him. For those that are using him, best of luck. I'm really rooting for this guy.
I don't know if they'll be scheming on him.. ppl tend to forget TB has Winslow and superstud rookie Mike Williams... and freeman can moveyou don;t leave those guys in open field. you just don't.

LeGarrette Blount, Buccaneers - After weeks of talking him up as a candidate for an expanded role, Blount finally took over feature back duties in the second half against the Rams. A battering ram in the style of Peyton Hillis and Michael Turner, Blount lacks Hillis' pass-catching skills and Turner's playmaking ability. He should be good for 14-18 carries per week and goal-line work, but he's not going to play on passing downs. That leaves him as a low-upside RB2 in the Bucs' inconsistent ground game.

Recommendation: Should be owned in 12-team leagues :shrug:

14-18 carries on 1st and 2nd down plus GL work is definitely worth picking up when he's just sitting out there in a lot of leagues.

LeGarrette Blount, Buccaneers - After weeks of talking him up as a candidate for an expanded role, Blount finally took over feature back duties in the second half against the Rams. A battering ram in the style of Peyton Hillis and Michael Turner, Blount lacks Hillis' pass-catching skills and Turner's playmaking ability. He should be good for 14-18 carries per week and goal-line work, but he's not going to play on passing downs. That leaves him as a low-upside RB2 in the Bucs' inconsistent ground game.Recommendation: Should be owned in 12-team leagues :unsure:
Who is making this prediction? You, the Bucs or some fantasy website?

LeGarrette Blount, Buccaneers - After weeks of talking him up as a candidate for an expanded role, Blount finally took over feature back duties in the second half against the Rams. A battering ram in the style of Peyton Hillis and Michael Turner, Blount lacks Hillis' pass-catching skills and Turner's playmaking ability. He should be good for 14-18 carries per week and goal-line work, but he's not going to play on passing downs. That leaves him as a low-upside RB2 in the Bucs' inconsistent ground game.Recommendation: Should be owned in 12-team leagues :hey:
Pretty sure he's quoting rotoworld.

LeGarrette Blount, Buccaneers - After weeks of talking him up as a candidate for an expanded role, Blount finally took over feature back duties in the second half against the Rams. A battering ram in the style of Peyton Hillis and Michael Turner, Blount lacks Hillis' pass-catching skills and Turner's playmaking ability. He should be good for 14-18 carries per week and goal-line work, but he's not going to play on passing downs. That leaves him as a low-upside RB2 in the Bucs' inconsistent ground game.

Recommendation: Should be owned in 12-team leagues :lmao:
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/features/...p;article=36566

BustedKnuckles said:
Glaven said:
Chaka said:
BustedKnuckles said:

Thanks. Sorry for not including a 'talentless hacks with zero bankable information who like to throw a ton of #### against the wall hoping some of it sticks' option.I kid, I kid but it is just speculation and really doesn't amount to much more than one of us saying he will or won't get X number of touches.

FWIW I think as long as Caddy is healthy Blount will be in the 8-11 touch range.

I've never been 1 to buy into the "well he woulda had this long run if not for a penalty" crap. His 46 was all him, and the penalty was idiotic. Blount had already beaten the guy. I am a Blount owner, and I am cautiously optimistic. After we were all on his jock during his bye week, we got deflated when he was inactive. The only reason he got in my lineup yesterday was that Graham was inactive. The backfield is still crowded, even with Hudgins out. We bought into the hype of him being the GL back, and then out of nowhere, Graham is the man. So where does this leave us now? Is Graham simply the odd man out? Or, is this gonna be an RBBC nightmare. Yesterday was proof that a Blount/Caddy mix would probably be very fruitful for Blount owners. A Blount/Graham/Caddy mix, not so much. Another plus, his schedule from here on out looks very nice!
Very :( Graham being inactive yesterday was key. What the picture looks like once he's back is anyone's guess, but it can only get worse for Blount.
huh?

Very :unsure: Graham being inactive yesterday was key. What the picture looks like once he's back is anyone's guess, but it can only get worse for Blount.
huh?
Tampa Bay has a RB on their roster named Ernest Graham. Ernest Graham did not play this past Sunday. That circumstance created an opportunity for another RB on Tampa Bay's roster named LaGarrette Blount.It is unclear how the opportunities will be allocated between Blount and Graham when both players are healthy but common logic would tell us that Blount's share will not be any larger when Graham is in the lineup versus when he is not.HTH

I've never been 1 to buy into the "well he woulda had this long run if not for a penalty" crap. His 46 was all him, and the penalty was idiotic. Blount had already beaten the guy.

I am a Blount owner, and I am cautiously optimistic. After we were all on his jock during his bye week, we got deflated when he was inactive. The only reason he got in my lineup yesterday was that Graham was inactive. The backfield is still crowded, even with Hudgins out. We bought into the hype of him being the GL back, and then out of nowhere, Graham is the man. So where does this leave us now? Is Graham simply the odd man out? Or, is this gonna be an RBBC nightmare. Yesterday was proof that a Blount/Caddy mix would probably be very fruitful for Blount owners. A Blount/Graham/Caddy mix, not so much. Another plus, his schedule from here on out looks very nice!
Very :banned: Graham being inactive yesterday was key. What the picture looks like once he's back is anyone's guess, but it can only get worse for Blount.
huh?
Tampa Bay has a RB on their roster named Ernest Graham. Ernest Graham did not play this past Sunday. That circumstance created an opportunity for another RB on Tampa Bay's roster named LaGarrette Blount.It is unclear how the opportunities will be allocated between Blount and Graham when both players are healthy but common logic would tell us that Blount's share will not be any larger when Graham is in the lineup versus when he is not.

HTH
Ernest Graham is starting fullback.

BustedKnuckles said:
Glaven said:
Chaka said:
BustedKnuckles said:

Thanks. Sorry for not including a 'talentless hacks with zero bankable information who like to throw a ton of #### against the wall hoping some of it sticks' option.
Are you referring to Chris Wesseling ?Because I'm pretty sure he knows more about Fantasy than you

In terms the Seattle run defense, we should find out a lot more this week when they travel to Oakland. Oakland doesn't really have a passing offense worth worrying about, but their running game is top notch.

Very :lmao: Graham being inactive yesterday was key. What the picture looks like once he's back is anyone's guess, but it can only get worse for Blount.
huh?
Tampa Bay has a RB on their roster named Ernest Graham. Ernest Graham did not play this past Sunday. That circumstance created an opportunity for another RB on Tampa Bay's roster named LaGarrette Blount.It is unclear how the opportunities will be allocated between Blount and Graham when both players are healthy but common logic would tell us that Blount's share will not be any larger when Graham is in the lineup versus when he is not.HTH
If Blount continues to play well, I'm not sure you'd see any decrease in his role... He hasn't been given a full workload yet, so based on his play up till now, I'd say he's in for an increase, not a decrease, and when Graham gets back, I think they'd be better off taking carries from Caddy, not Blount...Sorry, I just don't agree with you here.... Blount has talent, why decrease his carries?

Very :shrug: Graham being inactive yesterday was key. What the picture looks like once he's back is anyone's guess, but it can only get worse for Blount.
huh?
If Blount continues to play well, I'm not sure you'd see any decrease in his role... He hasn't been given a full workload yet, so based on his play up till now, I'd say he's in for an increase, not a decrease, and when Graham gets back, I think they'd be better off taking carries from Caddy, not Blount...Sorry, I just don't agree with you here.... Blount has talent, why decrease his carries?
I agree with you Hustler, but I just can't get his inactive status from a few weeks ago out of my mind. You would think that he would see an increased work load after Sunday. You would have also thought that he would have at least suited up after being declared the GL back by the coach. Granted, Hudgins was still in the picture that week, but who knows what will happen with Graham healthy. Like I said, I'm cautiously optimistic, but wouldn't be surprised to see 7-8 carries a piece for Graham, Blount, and Caddy this week. I hope not, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Blount looked terrific last week and he helped them win the game with his pounding the ball (this is a VERY important fact in terms of future opportunity). He's young, fast and powerful things that Caddy and Graham are not at this stage of their careers. They are spoon feeding him and getting him up to speed and giving him more each week. Let's not forget that this guy has real talent, he's a complete nut, but he's talented. If he can keep his head on straight, he's got the talent and he's earning the opportunity. He's a great guy to take a little risk on as he could have a real nice upside.

Blount looked terrific last week and he helped them win the game with his pounding the ball (this is a VERY important fact in terms of future opportunity). He's young, fast and powerful things that Caddy and Graham are not at this stage of their careers. They are spoon feeding him and getting him up to speed and giving him more each week. Let's not forget that this guy has real talent, he's a complete nut, but he's talented. If he can keep his head on straight, he's got the talent and he's earning the opportunity. He's a great guy to take a little risk on as he could have a real nice upside.
Just for the record... Blount has extraordinary vision and insanely quick feet for someone his size, and he's obviously a tank, but he's not fast. 4.70 was his best time at the combine.

Just for the record... Blount has extraordinary vision and insanely quick feet for someone his size, and he's obviously a tank, but he's not fast. 4.70 was his best time at the combine.
thanks for the correction, ya, shouldn't have put fast in there.

I agree with you Hustler, but I just can't get his inactive status from a few weeks ago out of my mind. You would think that he would see an increased work load after Sunday. You would have also thought that he would have at least suited up after being declared the GL back by the coach. Granted, Hudgins was still in the picture that week, but who knows what will happen with Graham healthy. Like I said, I'm cautiously optimistic, but wouldn't be surprised to see 7-8 carries a piece for Graham, Blount, and Caddy this week. I hope not, but I wouldn't be surprised.
I'm just guessing here, but I think the problem CH had with the post was the part "it can only get worse for Blount". While it's entirely possible that Graham takes some touches away, it's also possible that he doesn't. Either way, I think things can get better for Blount, even with Graham coming back into the mix.

"RB LeGarrette Blount (TB) Buccaneers offensive coordinator Greg Olson indicated the team plans to use the tandem of LeGarrette Blount and Cadillac Williams as their primary running back rotation, according to Rick Stroud, of the St. Petersburg Times. However, he was quick to note that Williams will not be limited to third-down duty. "When you see the game as you watch (Blount), we've always talked about it being a big man's game, and he's obviously a big person, and he showed it (Sunday)," Olson said. "He's got tremendous strength and power in his running game. So we were excited in what we saw ... We're excited about his first outing, and we think he'll get better as we go along, so there's no reason not to believe he will be a guy who will continue to carry the ball for us." :mellow:

Very :lmao: Graham being inactive yesterday was key. What the picture looks like once he's back is anyone's guess, but it can only get worse for Blount.
huh?
Look this is a very simple point I'm making. Under which circumstances does Blount figure to get more touches:a) Graham is active; orb) Graham is inactive.I fail to see how the answer could possibly be a).(FWIW I have a waiver claim in on Blount and if I get him I plan to start him this week over guys like Ronnie Brown and Mike Bush, so I'm not down on him at all. Just cautious about the situation because we haven't seen what happens when Graham is in the mix.)

Look this is a very simple point I'm making. Under which circumstances does Blount figure to get more touches:a) Graham is active; orb) Graham is inactive.I fail to see how the answer could possibly be a).(FWIW I have a waiver claim in on Blount and if I get him I plan to start him this week over guys like Ronnie Brown and Mike Bush, so I'm not down on him at all. Just cautious about the situation because we haven't seen what happens when Graham is in the mix.)
Graham has 14 carries in the 5 games he's played. I think TB is excited about what they have in this kid and has said as much. Graham is a dime a dozen vet at this point while Blount could be a part of their future. Caddy is much more of a threat than Graham at this point.

He isn't "fast" but he looks decisive and he gets to his speed quickly. He does look quick on every carry ... kinda reminds me of a young Marion Barber.

Look this is a very simple point I'm making. Under which circumstances does Blount figure to get more touches:

a) Graham is active; or

b) Graham is inactive.

I fail to see how the answer could possibly be a).

(FWIW I have a waiver claim in on Blount and if I get him I plan to start him this week over guys like Ronnie Brown and Mike Bush, so I'm not down on him at all. Just cautious about the situation because we haven't seen what happens when Graham is in the mix.)
Graham has 14 carries on the season. He had 14 all of last season. Even if he gets some, isn't it possible they come from Caddy and not Blount? Graham is primarily a FB- maybe the run blocking will be better for Blount with him coming back? Couldn't you argue that with Graham, they would be more likely to extend some drives, giving them more opportunities for everyone (including Blount)? I get your point, but I certainly think things can get better for Blount, even with Graham coming back.

You're a complete nut...or perhaps just a dummy? I really dislike people who fall for the media line hook line and sinker. The guy punched someone for getting into his ear and screaming after they lost. If this makes him a nut, then 95% of football players, scratch that, males, are nuts. This story gets overblown by the Oregon University in order to "make a point," (if they suspened students for an entire year for punching someone that was yelling into their ears, a full 75% of the student body would most likely be gone) along with the media, now we got guys like you claiming he is a nut. Funny how it all works.

Are you making stuff up? "best time" indicates multiple runs. As far as i know, the combine does not allow you to take 10 runs and then take your "best time." The combine has him listed as 4.62. This isn't his "best time" but just his time.

Users who are viewing this thread