What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Love Actually (2003) (1 Viewer)

What story/relationship is the best?

• Total voters

KarmaPolice

Footballguy
I was wondering the opinion of the masses on this Christmas "classic?".    It's one that my wife and I have seen a bunch and gravitate to.  It's also one that I think if you pick apart too much would get problematic and I could see people not liking it or thinking it doesn't hold up almost 20 years later.    

How to you rate the movie, and what relationship/story do you gravitate to the most in the movie.   Is there are story or subplot you don't like at all? 

:popcorn:

Last edited by a moderator:
Have to admit I went with "Never Seen It." Just haven't gotten around to it, and suppose I won't unless I garner a girlfriend late in life and she wants to watch it during Christmas-time. 

I see that scenario as highly unlikely. 

I went with Colin because it won't let you not pick one. That one sounded the most suitable for this bored. 

I've never seen it, either because it sounds like a chick flick and I have to be in a special mood to appreciate one of those.  If it's a good Christmas flick, on the other hand....  I may have to give it a view sometime this week.  Merry Christmas!!

Have to admit I went with "Never Seen It." Just haven't gotten around to it, and suppose I won't unless I garner a girlfriend late in life and she wants to watch it during Christmas-time. 

I see that scenario as highly likely. 

I went with Colin because it won't let you not pick one. That one sounded the most suitable for this bored. 
I added a 10th choice.  

I don't think having a SO is needed for the movie.  I might be a rare guy that watches rom/coms by myself anyway.  

I've never seen it, either because it sounds like a chick flick and I have to be in a special mood to appreciate one of those.  If it's a good Christmas flick, on the other hand....  I may have to give it a view sometime this week.  Merry Christmas!!
I would say it's a rom/com 1st, and set at Christmas.  but it's R rated, so the humor is different.  

Same writer/director as Four Weddings and a Funeral, Notting Hill, About Time, and others.  

I might be a rare guy that watches rom/coms by myself anyway.  
I think you're correct about this. There are probably three romantic comedies -- two of which I can't think of -- that I would watch alone. Forgetting Sarah Marshall is probably the only one that comes to mind off of the top of my head, really. I just check Marie Claire's list of best romantic comedies, and there's only one in the top ten that I'd consider, and that is Breakfast At Tiffany's, and I don't even care for that one. I'd watch mostly for curiosity. 

I think if you categorize Bull Durham as a romantic comedy, I'd watch that, but that's generally considered a baseball movie. 

Marie Claire lists a few, actually, that I'd watch on my own time in their top 71. (Why 71? Why not?!)

Yeah, I guess a board with mostly  grown men might not be the best format to discuss this flick.    :lol:
:lmao:

Honestly, the first thing I thought of when I saw your topic was that exact sentiment. 

It's like me trying to start another obscure political thread about gender (yes, gender in the non-birth determinative sense. I was writing about future sex-related issues in 2015 on this very board) a while back on this board, or another thread about a punk band nobody cares about or likes. 

I think you're correct about this. There are probably three romantic comedies -- two of which I can't think of -- that I would watch alone. Forgetting Sarah Marshall is probably the only one that comes to mind off of the top of my head, really. I just check Marie Claire's list of best romantic comedies, and there's only one in the top ten that I'd consider, and that is Breakfast At Tiffany's, and I don't even care for that one. I'd watch mostly for curiosity. 

I think if you categorize Bull Durham as a romantic comedy, I'd watch that, but that's generally considered a baseball movie. 

Marie Claire lists a few, actually, that I'd watch on my own time in their top 71. (Why 71? Why not?!)
I can easily watch Fever Pitch alone as well. Great movie.

Yeah, I guess a board with mostly  grown men might not be the best format to discuss this flick.    :lol:
Most of the year I fall into that category. Around Christmas though I will engage in the usual Hallmark cookie cutter romance. It does help to be somewhat drunk/ high though. This movie sounds like an upgrade from that.

I can easily watch Fever Pitch alone as well. Great movie.
One of those movies where I hear that everyone who really liked the book was disappointed, whereas everyone who liked the idea of Drew Barrymore and Jimmy Fallon as lovers was pleasantly surprised. 

I don’t mind rom-coms, but I’ve always been troubled by the movie. It seems to legitimize stalker behavior, and women seem primarily portrayed only with regard to their romantic relationships with men. 

I think second poll question needs an “I’ve seen the movie, but I did not like any of the storylines” option.

Had no idea this was considered a Christmas movie until this week when it was mentioned by two different people when discussing Christmas movies.  I figured it was a romcom, stars Hugh Grant and has the word Love in the title ... triple whammy for me to avoid it. Might check it out tonight after dinner based on your recommendation.

I don’t mind rom-coms, but I’ve always been troubled by the movie. It seems to legitimize stalker behavior, and women seem primarily portrayed only with regard to their romantic relationships with men. 

I think second pill question needs an an “I’ve seen the movie, but I did not like any of the storylines” option.
I will be honest, this is 100% why I brought it up and was curious if others feel this.    I was listening to a podcast recently that was discussing this part and how messed up a lot of the relationships are.  but besides that it shows up highly on romcom and Christmas lists.  

I think I fall in the middle and like the platonic stories most.  

Had no idea this was considered a Christmas movie until this week when it was mentioned by two different people when discussing Christmas movies.  I figured it was a romcom, stars Hugh Grant and has the word Love in the title ... triple whammy for me to avoid it. Might check it out tonight after dinner based on your recommendation.
Not sure how much I recommend it.  This is more discussing how people feel about it 20years later. 

I think there are far worse romcoms most of you have sat through.  

Honestly, the first thing I thought of when I saw your topic was that exact sentiment. 

It's like me trying to start another obscure political thread about gender (yes, gender in the non-birth determinative sense. I was writing about future sex-related issues in 2015 on this very board) a while back on this board, or another thread about a punk band nobody cares about or likes. 

Like your lists above ( I would add in something like High Fidelity)  I always got the general impression this was a popular one, even among the men folk because of the variety of stories and a bit of crass humor.  

I used to be quite the film geek and never got around to this one.  It can't be better than Notting Hill.  Some of Hugh Grant's best romcom work.

Not sure how much I recommend it.  This is more discussing how people feel about it 20years later. 

I think there are far worse romcoms most of you have sat through.  
Well you starting this thread carries more weight than my sister and my buddy’s wife recommending it earlier this week.

Hasn’t it been removed essentially from the yearly Holiday cable playlists? I used to come across it a lot this time of year…haven’t in a few now.

I used to be quite the film geek and never got around to this one.  It can't be better than Notting Hill.  Some of Hugh Grant's best romcom work.
Similar humor, same writer.   instead one relationship its follows about 11 to 12 different relationships and versions of love.   I like Notting Hill a bunch too.  

One of those movies where I hear that everyone who really liked the book was disappointed, whereas everyone who liked the idea of Drew Barrymore and Jimmy Fallon as lovers was pleasantly surprised. 
I just thought it was funny. 

I ended up giving it a 4 after thinking about it, so I guess that means I do recommend it, @Atomic Punk.  

However on the lines of what @Don Quixotewas saying, I don't like it in the traditional sense.  I think a lot of the "romances" are a bit creepy and based on nothing.  Where the movie hits me is the stuff with Emma Thompson, Liam and the stepson, Nighy and the manager.   The best romance for me is the two actors.  

Oh, and you forgot about the relationship between Mr. Bean and gift wrapping. 

By the way, Red Nose Day, Actually serves as a nice epilogue too. Most of the cast come back to reprise their roles. 

I like a nice rom-com. I watched it 15 or so years ago and this one didn't speak to me.

As far as Christmas rom-com's go, it's Bad Santa for me. 

As far as the OP.....I really enjoy this movie. And Jamie and Aurelia was my favorite storyline in the film. 

Never saw it, don’t consider it a Christmas movie(along with Die Hard, fight me), and The Holiday was better anyway.

The weird relationship with the little kid takes the movie down a notch. Great ending with The Beach Boys playing and all the families connecting in the airport

I know I've been in the room while it's been on for a few times at least, but I don't remember enough about it to answer anything other than that I must not have liked it very much.

I'm not really a fan of "ensemble cast" movies in general.

ETA: I just looked up the cast & plot to jog my memory and realized I totally blend this movie in my head with "He's Just Not That Into You." 

I added a 10th choice.  

I don't think having a SO is needed for the movie.  I might be a rare guy that watches rom/coms by myself anyway.  

My mom and I watched it together once.  Laughed hysterically in parts, teared up on others.  I know the movie has flaws but I'll always love it for the reason above. I'd give anything I own up in this world to watch it with her one more time.  

Not a rom-com person at all, but this movie is a rare exception.  Love it even after repeated viewings.  But you're going to make me look up all those names to see who's who so I can vote?  :hot:  

Not a rom-com person at all, but this movie is a rare exception.  Love it even after repeated viewings.  But you're going to make me look up all those names to see who's who so I can vote?  :hot:  
🤣 Had the exact same reaction.  How am I supposed to remember who all these people are?

Big fan of this movie.  Was hanging out in Tasmania with my BFF and his daughter a few years back (they live in Australia), and the VRBO we were staying in had Love Actually on DVD.  My BFF says “this is my favorite xmas movie of all time”……which was news to me.  So we watched it that night.  Have liked it ever since.

🤣 Had the exact same reaction.  How am I supposed to remember who all these people are?

Big fan of this movie.  Was hanging out in Tasmania with my BFF and his daughter a few years back (they live in Australia), and the VRBO we were staying in had Love Actually on DVD.  My BFF says “this is my favorite xmas movie of all time”……which was news to me.  So we watched it that night.  Have liked it ever since.

I pulled up the cast list to see who played which roles, and after voting see that you and I are the only ones who voted for the Juliet/Mark combo.  :hifive:   It was between them and Jamie/Aurelia for me.  Or I would have voted for the Alan Rickman/Emma Thompson couple as most interesting, but Emma's character wasn't an option.  The Bill Nighy storyline is my favorite, though.  :)  

Fair.  Bad thread and poll in hindsight.  :lol:

I skipped right past that part.  I couldn't tell you one character's names, just the actors.  Laura Linney - hai! :wub:

I pulled up the cast list to see who played which roles, and after voting see that you and I are the only ones who voted for the Juliet/Mark combo.  :hifive:   It was between them and Jamie/Aurelia for me.  Or I would have voted for the Alan Rickman/Emma Thompson couple as most interesting, but Emma's character wasn't an option.  The Bill Nighy storyline is my favorite, though.  :)  
Interesting thats the one I keep seeing called out as being the creepiest/most stalkerish.

krista4 said:
Or I would have voted for the Alan Rickman/Emma Thompson couple as most interesting, but Emma's character wasn't an option.
I considered the "Harry/Mia" choice as actually the "Harry/Karen/Mia" choice -- and voted for it. Harry's character resonates the most with me ... his choices seem to have the highest stakes. Plus Harry gets the Rowan Atkinson gift-wrapping scene.

At different times in my live, I've been Sam (haven't we all?), Mark, and Colin.

Not listed, but I also liked how heart-of-gold stepdad Daniel hits it off with Claudia Schiffer late in the film. Nice payoff for Daniel's character arc.

Karma, what stalkerish behavior are we thinking about? Mark obsessing over Juliet, or something else? In the not that distant past, that kind of pining for someone -- even when acted upon as Mark did -- was not considered a terrible thing to do. Pitiable, maybe, but not terrible. Wasn't like Mark was showing up at her workplace, or accosting her in public or something.

KarmaPolice said:
krista4 said:
I pulled up the cast list to see who played which roles, and after voting see that you and I are the only ones who voted for the Juliet/Mark combo.  :hifive:  
Interesting thats the one I keep seeing called out as being the creepiest/most stalkerish.
Calling it "creepy" is over the top, IMHO. In universe, while Mark's feelings are unrequited, they aren't unwanted. Again, in universe, Mark accepts the inevitable -- he doesn't keep pushing the issue. He accepts that Juliet is happy and moves on. I think some critics are looking at the film through a post-"me too" lens and seeing things in the character of Mark that the film does not show us.

krista4 said:
Teamwork!  The Nighy storyline is fabulous.  Love it.  
Oh, and my 2nd choice was also Jamie/Aurelia!  Amazing!

I didn’t share this poll with Mrs APK thankfully, so I can say without guilt, shame or regret that I would leave my entire family for the Juliet character. :)

Users who are viewing this thread