What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mark Ingram(RB-Alabama) (1 Viewer)

BoulderBob

Footballguy
I've been hearing rumblings about this guy having what it takes to be a three-down back in the NFL/first round draft pick. Can the SEC/'Bama homers give me a scouting report? Thanks in advance.

If you have an opinion on Jeff Demps(RB-FLA) as well, feel free to post it. Some think he will be a weapon in the NFL, others don't consider him a prospect. What gives?

wow....i love replying to threads about my 'bama boys in the shark pool :lmao:

mark came right in and impressed in fall camp as a fresh......he was a very late commitment.......a steal from michigan state at the last minute ( probably only because of saban's sparty connection )......he played in the very 1st game versus clemson and had almost a 1oo yards...he scored 12 tds last season which is a record for a 'Bama frosh back while splitting time mostly with san fran draftee glen coffee........granted he ran behind one of the best lines in college football last year.......he has two factors nfl coaches will love....he falls forward after contact and always keeps his legs moving.....most college teams don't throw to their backs and he only caught a handful of passes last year...but he had a nice one versus auburn.....i called ingram the " closer " last year because he did a lot of damage in the 4th quarter and was our goal line back....he's probably about the size of frank gore.............he's the de factor starter this year and should get most of the carries.....since the nfl has the three year rule and he played last year as a fresh.....so it will be until after his juinor year if he declares.....the sky is the limit for mark.....tune in next saturday night as we take on atlanta ........ingram will get plenty of touches against one if not the best defenses we will face all year......make your own judgments....hope this helps.....from someone who has seen every one of mark's games in college

:lmao:

Last edited by a moderator:
From my Clemson - Alabama Game Scouting Post:

MARK INGRAM, RUNNING BACK (5'10 215), FRESHMAN (#22):

Stats: 17 carries, 96 yards (5.6); 2 catches, 5 yards

Wow. What a polished back for a true freshman. he made one mistake all game, and that was not following his guard on a trap, and trying to cut back too early. I am sure he learned his lesson. Zero wasted motion from this kid, squares his shoulders and lowers his pads. One cut, downhill runner. If you don't square up on him, you will fall off. Has a thick lower body, and enough speed to pick up chunks of yards (see his 28 yard run), although not a burner. No way he is 5'11 like the announcers said. I would say 5'9 is more accurate. Bright future. I am definitely going to keep tabs on him.

One thing that is a little forgotten regarding Ingram is that he was splitting carries 50/50 with Coffee until the midpoint last season when he got a little dinged up. At that point, many in the Bama program felt that he was at least the equal of Coffee if not better. And, as already mentioned above, he was the goalline/short yardage RB all season for the Tide.

Moving forward, I think we can expect more of the same from Ingram. Saban likes to use mutliple RBs and Bama should be loaded with Roy Upchurch (NFL skills, but very brittle), Terry Grant (burner), and true freshman Trent Richardson (#1 HS RB according to many services), which should keep Ingram's numbers down a bit.

Finally, something to consider regarding Bama RBs entering the NFL under Saban. I've been told that Coach Saban sells these elite recruits with the idea that they will split carries in Tuscaloosa so that they won't get beaten up and will be fresh throughout their careers and into the NFL.

Yes first round absolutely. In fact both Ingram and Jones (wr freshman last year) will likely be Heisman candidates next year. I'm calling that one now.

Finally, something to consider regarding Bama RBs entering the NFL under Saban. I've been told that Coach Saban sells these elite recruits with the idea that they will split carries in Tuscaloosa so that they won't get beaten up and will be fresh throughout their careers and into the NFL.
If true, I'll bet he has to sell pretty hard. I don't think that's what I'd want to hear if I were one of the top high school RBs in the country.

One thing that is a little forgotten regarding Ingram is that he was splitting carries 50/50 with Coffee until the midpoint last season when he got a little dinged up. At that point, many in the Bama program felt that he was at least the equal of Coffee if not better. And, as already mentioned above, he was the goalline/short yardage RB all season for the Tide. Moving forward, I think we can expect more of the same from Ingram. Saban likes to use mutliple RBs and Bama should be loaded with Roy Upchurch (NFL skills, but very brittle), Terry Grant (burner), and true freshman Trent Richardson (#1 HS RB according to many services), which should keep Ingram's numbers down a bit.Finally, something to consider regarding Bama RBs entering the NFL under Saban. I've been told that Coach Saban sells these elite recruits with the idea that they will split carries in Tuscaloosa so that they won't get beaten up and will be fresh throughout their careers and into the NFL.
excellent post....and i have heard that as well about saban and the recruitment of running backs.......he has followed that pattern throughout his college recruiting career

Doug Drinen said:
If true, I'll bet he has to sell pretty hard. I don't think that's what I'd want to hear if I were one of the top high school RBs in the country.
Well, his track record speaks for itself. He has a great history of putting guys in the league and has always relied on multiple rbs at the college level.As for the post above regarding Julio Jones, Julio is a sure fire 1st rounder and would have probably been the #1 wr taken this year as a 18 yr old freshman. #8 is an unreal talent.For those deep dynasty guys, keep an eye on Trent Richardson. The freshman RB has been described in fall camp as making Mark Ingram "look like an infant." Richardson is the prototypical rb, with great size and speed, and smashed Emmit Smith's records at Escambia High in Pensacola.The talent Saban is amassing at Alabama is freakish... Rolando McClain, Donta Hightower, Marcel Dareus, Terrence Cody and other IDPs deserve their own thread.

As a Gator fan, all I can say is that when we played Bama in the SEC Championship game I was very relieved any time Ingram came into the game. We had a lot more trouble stopping Coffee.

That said, he was only a freshman so he has plenty of time to improve, but I wasn't particularly impressed by him last year even before that game.

live tonite from the dome...yours truly was there in person

mark " the closer " ingram as i called him last season as a fresh ( will have to get a new name) .....tonite in his sophomore debut he ran all over the virginia tech's defense in the 2nd half....finished 26 carries for 150 yards 1 td and 3 receptions for 25 yards and another td

guy has incredible upper and lower body strength....just carried the pile...a warrior.......i think he certainly has 3 down potential as an nfl back....... :thumbup:

Ingram reminds me of MJD with less vision and power.

I actually think Roy Upchurch is the best RB they have based on what I saw tonight. The fumble killed him. If he didnt fumble at the end of that 40yd run, Id bet Upchurch's yardage is close or better than Ingram's.

I think Upchurch will be better on sundays

That last tackle he took has me a bit concerned. He had 1st round written all over him. He still does obviously. If you watch that tackle again in slow mo, watch the left ankle (I believe) get turned and the knee twist as the line lands on him. He showed considerable pain on the sideline. After the game he said all the right things, but lets see how it plays out. Would hate to have that happen to the kid.

That last tackle he took has me a bit concerned. He had 1st round written all over him. He still does obviously. If you watch that tackle again in slow mo, watch the left ankle (I believe) get turned and the knee twist as the line lands on him. He showed considerable pain on the sideline. After the game he said all the right things, but lets see how it plays out. Would hate to have that happen to the kid.
ingram is a true sophomore and can't go pro until after next season.........he's fine according to the post game reports and stated he could have come back in............if he needs the rest for a game or two that's okay.......our next big test isn't until arkansas in 3 weeks...

I actually think Roy Upchurch is the best RB they have based on what I saw tonight. The fumble killed him. If he didnt fumble at the end of that 40yd run, Id bet Upchurch's yardage is close or better than Ingram's.I think Upchurch will be better on sundays
Everytime Upchurch ran I had to do a double take and realize it wasn't Darren McFadden. Not saying his game is as good, but his running style, body type and stride are mirror images of DMC (right down to the #5 on the jersey)

Is he the son of former Giant WR Mark Ingram?
Son of former Spartan WR Mark Ingram.
and current prison inmate Mark Ingram. FTR: He wasn't "stolen" from MSU...he was never really committed up here and there was speculation he would go to Iowa...really anywhere BUT MSU because of his dad - who has been an absolute wreck since his Giants days. He's currently in prison for a variety of reasons...deadbeat dad, drugs, and money/fraud charges...that kind of stuff. Ingram went south to get as far away from his Dad's legacy as he could. Looked great last night though, and i'll be rooting for him. But he's a sophomore...the "first round pick?" hyperbole is a bit much after one game on tv :unsure:

eta: Here are the details on dad - note the date was last summer when all this went down which is why Jr.'s recruitment was so up in the air...Sr. was a fugitive for quite a while during that process:

CENTRAL ISLIP, New York -- Former New York Giants receiver and Michigan State standout Mark Ingram was sentenced Tuesday, Sept. 16, 2008, to more than seven years in prison for bank fraud and money laundering. It's a third term behind bars for the player who starred in the 1991 Super Bowl and first made a name for himself at Flint Northwestern.

The 42-year-old Ingram also was ordered in Long Island federal court to pay $252,000 in restitution. He is free on $200,000 bail until Dec. 5.

He said the criminal record he has had since his 1996 retirement is "not who I am."

"It hurts me to my core," Ingram said. "I made mistakes."

Ingram pleaded guilty in November 2005 to laundering money he believed to be proceeds from narcotics deals and to bank fraud for cashing counterfeit checks.

offdee said:
Kenny Powers said:
I actually think Roy Upchurch is the best RB they have based on what I saw tonight. The fumble killed him. If he didnt fumble at the end of that 40yd run, Id bet Upchurch's yardage is close or better than Ingram's.I think Upchurch will be better on sundays
Everytime Upchurch ran I had to do a double take and realize it wasn't Darren McFadden. Not saying his game is as good, but his running style, body type and stride are mirror images of DMC (right down to the #5 on the jersey)
Yeah, I see some DMC with a little AD as well.Dude has some jets, and power.

Not saying Upchurch can't be a good pro, but he's already 24 - I wonder if his upside at the next level is limited.

I really like Ingram. He's a guy that does everything well though nothing really stands out; a real complete back. 'Bama has a ton of talent but I really feel he's a legit 1st-round prospect come 2011. I was also really impressed by Virginia Tech's Ryan Williams last night. He's a redshirt freshman so he's also eligible in 2011, though it remains to be seen how his career unfolds - especially when Darren Evans returns next season. A lot of great talent on the field last night.

I see a lot of mocks with NE taking him @ 17. is he really projected to fall that far?
I see a lot of mocks with Miami taking him at #15.
Depends on a couple things.1. If DeAngelo Williams doesn't get tagged by CAR, I see MIA making a run at him in free agency.2. Would NE package a couple of picks together for DET @ 13 to leapfrog ahead of MIA and swipe him away?Agree, though. All things being equal, I think MIA is where he would end up.

I see a lot of mocks with NE taking him @ 17. is he really projected to fall that far?
Depends on a couple things.1. If DeAngelo Williams doesn't get tagged by CAR, I see MIA making a run at him in free agency.2. Would NE package a couple of picks together for DET @ 13 to leapfrog ahead of MIA and swipe him away?Agree, though. All things being equal, I think MIA is where he would end up.
If there is no CBA, then what?

If there is no CBA, then what?
Oh yeah, that. I'm in denial. No CBA, I still think #2 scenario could happen.

And D-Will could end up in NE... Don't they have a bit of a rep for grabbing players in the second half or on the tail end of their careers?

2. Would NE package a couple of picks together for DET @ 13 to leapfrog ahead of MIA and swipe him away?
I love Ingram and agree with all the wonderful praise.I wouldn't be surprised if he goes earlier, but playing along-I think the Lions could take him. Schwartz is from the titans where they went Lendale, Henry, CJ and everyone said "cmon" when they snagged another RB, but they got CJ. Best and Smith are not super special. Even if you think they're good, ya gotta admit they aren't super special. IMO Best is like a cartoon character that looks so good til he runs into a brick wall and Smith just doesn't have "it". (Although I do like Smith more than most)I think it'll come back to that you only get so many chances in (NFL) life to grab a RB like Ingram in the draft. They need other positions like OL, but the Titans needed other spots too. Bears went through like 3 or 4 good rookie RBs that quickly fizzled 10-20 years ago.Pats seemed set with Maroney initially. Texans seemed set with Slaton til Foster jumped on...pick a team, any team, they replaced a back when you didn't expect it. Yes it might have been by free agency or undrafted free agent, but...do the Lions llllllllllllove Ingram?I'm pretty sure that city and it's fans could fall in love with a great RB.Maybe the Lions plan is to put the word out like I did above and then fetch a nice return for the right to draft Ingram?

2. Would NE package a couple of picks together for DET @ 13 to leapfrog ahead of MIA and swipe him away?
I love Ingram and agree with all the wonderful praise.I wouldn't be surprised if he goes earlier, but playing along-

I think the Lions could take him. Schwartz is from the titans where they went Lendale, Henry, CJ and everyone said "cmon" when they snagged another RB, but they got CJ. Best and Smith are not super special. Even if you think they're good, ya gotta admit they aren't super special.

IMO Best is like a cartoon character that looks so good til he runs into a brick wall and Smith just doesn't have "it". (Although I do like Smith more than most)

I think it'll come back to that you only get so many chances in (NFL) life to grab a RB like Ingram in the draft.

They need other positions like OL, but the Titans needed other spots too.

Bears went through like 3 or 4 good rookie RBs that quickly fizzled 10-20 years ago.

Pats seemed set with Maroney initially. Texans seemed set with Slaton til Foster jumped on...pick a team, any team, they replaced a back when you didn't expect it. Yes it might have been by free agency or undrafted free agent, but...do the Lions llllllllllllove Ingram?

I'm pretty sure that city and it's fans could fall in love with a great RB.

Maybe the Lions plan is to put the word out like I did above and then fetch a nice return for the right to draft Ingram?
Best is a very special player and if he can stay healthy will be a beast.I love how a guy gets injured and all the sudden his talent goes with it? I dont think so. If im an NFL team I'd rather Best over Ingram.

I love Ingram and agree with all the wonderful praise.I wouldn't be surprised if he goes earlier, but playing along-

I think the Lions could take him. Schwartz is from the titans where they went Lendale, Henry, CJ and everyone said "cmon" when they snagged another RB, but they got CJ. Best and Smith are not super special. Even if you think they're good, ya gotta admit they aren't super special.

IMO Best is like a cartoon character that looks so good til he runs into a brick wall and Smith just doesn't have "it". (Although I do like Smith more than most)

I think it'll come back to that you only get so many chances in (NFL) life to grab a RB like Ingram in the draft.

Bears went through like 3 or 4 good rookie RBs that quickly fizzled 10-20 years ago.

Pats seemed set with Maroney initially. Texans seemed set with Slaton til Foster jumped on...pick a team, any team, they replaced a back when you didn't expect it. Yes it might have been by free agency or undrafted free agent, but...do the Lions llllllllllllove Ingram?

Maybe the Lions plan is to put the word out like I did above and then fetch a nice return for the right to draft Ingram?
Best is a very special player and if he can stay healthy will be a beast.I love how a guy gets injured and all the sudden his talent goes with it? I dont think so. If im an NFL team I'd rather Best over Ingram.
No disrespect but that is funny and I'd say you would be the only one who would do that.Ingram>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Best

Giddy Up!

http://onyoursidenews.com/wp-content/uploa...mark-ingram.jpg

Am I the only one that thinks New England would be a bad landing spot for fantasy purposes? They RBBC and wouldn't see them changing that with Law Firm, and Woodhead. New England is once of the worst spots for any fantasy player right now, they spread the ball around way too much.

Miami would be nice. :moneybag:

Am I the only one that thinks New England would be a bad landing spot for fantasy purposes? They RBBC and wouldn't see them changing that with Law Firm, and Woodhead. New England is once of the worst spots for any fantasy player right now, they spread the ball around way too much.Miami would be nice. :moneybag:
When was the last time NE had a running threat? If they had Ingram it changes things dramatically. I'd love to see him in NE, they need some type of running threat if they wish to go further in the playoffs.

Am I the only one that thinks New England would be a bad landing spot for fantasy purposes? They RBBC and wouldn't see them changing that with Law Firm, and Woodhead. New England is once of the worst spots for any fantasy player right now, they spread the ball around way too much.Miami would be nice. :confused:
Completely agree. NE would not be a great spot for Ingram.

Is he the son of former Giant WR Mark Ingram?
Son of former Spartan WR Mark Ingram.
and current prison inmate Mark Ingram. FTR: He wasn't "stolen" from MSU...he was never really committed up here and there was speculation he would go to Iowa...really anywhere BUT MSU because of his dad - who has been an absolute wreck since his Giants days. He's currently in prison for a variety of reasons...deadbeat dad, drugs, and money/fraud charges...that kind of stuff. Ingram went south to get as far away from his Dad's legacy as he could. Looked great last night though, and i'll be rooting for him. But he's a sophomore...the "first round pick?" hyperbole is a bit much after one game on tv :confused:

eta: Here are the details on dad - note the date was last summer when all this went down which is why Jr.'s recruitment was so up in the air...Sr. was a fugitive for quite a while during that process:

CENTRAL ISLIP, New York -- Former New York Giants receiver and Michigan State standout Mark Ingram was sentenced Tuesday, Sept. 16, 2008, to more than seven years in prison for bank fraud and money laundering. It's a third term behind bars for the player who starred in the 1991 Super Bowl and first made a name for himself at Flint Northwestern.

The 42-year-old Ingram also was ordered in Long Island federal court to pay $252,000 in restitution. He is free on $200,000 bail until Dec. 5.

He said the criminal record he has had since his 1996 retirement is "not who I am."

"It hurts me to my core," Ingram said. "I made mistakes."

Ingram pleaded guilty in November 2005 to laundering money he believed to be proceeds from narcotics deals and to bank fraud for cashing counterfeit checks.
WOW!!! He wanted to get away from his dad? Really??? He and his dad have a great relationship. I've read articles in which he says so.
Nick Saban was an assistant at Michigan State during Mark, Sr. college career with the Spartans. The connection helped lure Ingram to play in Tuscaloosa.

The younger Ingram still keeps the bond with his dad, tapping into his experience in the NFL. "Dad supported my decision (to leave for the NFL)."
Great article here:http://www.neworleans.com/index.php?option...&Itemid=578

No disrespect but that is funny and I'd say you would be the only one who would do that.Ingram>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Best

Giddy Up!

http://onyoursidenews.com/wp-content/uploa...mark-ingram.jpg
I dont think I would give up best for the 1.02 personally.

Best has all the tools when healthy to be one of the Best backs in the NFL. Ingram may be good as well but to discount Best like that is silly imo.

I guess we'll see if he's best.I imagine Ingram gets more than 555 yards as a rook.There's no question Best needs to dramatically improve his ability to take a hit and that a 3.2 average won't cut it for a guy that's super quick and fast.His receiving stats are already good (very good for a rook) but if he does develop into a clear "beast" (and not coming in on 3rd down when Smith's tired) those stats might go down.Wording is tough sorry for nitpick, Ingram does seem like a "beast" that gets a million carries while Best seems more like a "speed back"

Hey BBT, not once did i discount Best as you seem to suggest but he wasn't the best back coming out last year.

If you put Best next to Ingram, you had the first pick and this pick would be your featured back.

1000 out of 1000 would choose Imgram!

Ingram is a monster while Best is an injury concern on every play.

Just my two cents.

If you put Best next to Ingram, you had the first pick and this pick would be your featured back.
Best is a dynamic player, plain and simple, but I agree with you from an NFL-perspective that a huge percentage of GMs/coaches would take Ingram over him - 95-100%.

The Pats will probably end up with Pierre Thomas. I would guess that they will use their first round picks on OL or DL.

BBT, we got sidetracked- is Ingram AND Best an awesome backfield for the Lions in your opinion? Is the potential impact of that greater than what they could get out of another player they draft? Like would an OL, LB, CB have as big an impact if they take one instead of Ingram?

BBT, we got sidetracked- is Ingram AND Best an awesome backfield for the Lions in your opinion? Is the potential impact of that greater than what they could get out of another player they draft? Like would an OL, LB, CB have as big an impact if they take one instead of Ingram?
I don't think the Lions have any need for an Ingram. OL/CB I think would have a bigger impact then adding another back. I just really belive in Best as an every down back. If he can stay healthy along with Stafford this duo could be very good for a very long time. The refrence to his rushing totals aren't really fair. He had a double turf toe injury that's insane and even more insane is he played on them. He has great work ethic/desire.

He can run between the tackles very well and the small sample size I saw when he was healthy was impressive. The fact he caught som many balls injured and in and out of games leads me to believe from a ppr fantasy standpoint he's a top shelf player to have.

I usually refer to players value here in regards to ppr value rather then NFL value. Maybe thats why we don't see eye to eye.

BigTex said:
Hey BBT, not once did i discount Best as you seem to suggest but he wasn't the best back coming out last year.If you put Best next to Ingram, you had the first pick and this pick would be your featured back. 1000 out of 1000 would choose Imgram!Ingram is a monster while Best is an injury concern on every play.Just my two cents.
I take Ingram over any RB in the last 2 drafts

I would be very surprised if we took Ingram (Detroit). I don't see Best as ever being an every-down back, but he has the makings of a Brian Westbrook-esque type back.

I do think we need to have a pounder in there, and that's why I wouldn't be completely mad if we took Ingram. But I really don't think we will go for him. OL is an obvious

need, so either that or something else on defense, which we still have obvious holes in. NE does not strike me one that would move up, so I don't see that happening, unless

they just see an absolute can't-miss prospect still sitting out there in the teens. But I would kinda like to see Detroit trade down and accumulate a pick or two extra, so I

wouldn't be against that.

Users who are viewing this thread