What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mass shooting at AME church in Charleston, SC. State Senator is dead (1 Viewer)

In the way of an actual update on, you know, what happened and is happening:

- Apparently the eczema on the human condition known as Roof had a website. Appalling, hyper-racist stuff. Like all these murderous fkrs he had a manifesto.

I have no choice. I am not in the position to, alone, go into the ghetto and fight. I chose Charleston because it is most historic city in my state, and at one time had the highest ratio of blacks to Whites in the country. We have no skinheads, no real KKK, no one doing anything but talking on the internet. Well someone has to have the bravery to take it to the real world, and I guess that has to be me.
As a reminder Roof was not from Charleston, he lived in Eastover which is outside Columbia, a good ways away. Just a guess here but I'm guessing that his primary influences were on the internet.

He obviously also had a weird obsession with Rhodesia/Zimbabwe and apartheid South Africa. Where did that come from?

- The Church was possibly not actually his primary target:

Dylann Roof's friend: Charleston church 'wasn't primary target'
Friend of the man suspected of shooting nine people inside a historic black church in Charleston, said he told him that the University of Charleston was the original target.A friend of the man suspected of shooting down nine people inside a historic black church in Charleston said he told him that the University of Charleston was the original target.

Christon Scriven said 21-year-old Dylann Roof told friends that he was planning an attack against the US university, but ruled it against because of security on the campus.

A police affidavit released Friday accused Roof of shooting all nine victims multiple times, and making a "racially inflammatory statement" as he stood over an unnamed survivor.
But Mr Scriven claims that Roof never made any racist remarks around him.
"My opinion about Dylann doesn't change, my feelings about him doesn't change. I still love him as a friend, no matter what," Mr Scriven said.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/11688181/Dylann-Roofs-friend-Charleston-church-wasnt-primary-target.html

Scriven is black. This might also correspond with a prior report from another "friend" that Roof wanted to hit a mall. Now why this POS has "friends" (or a black friend) like this I have no idea, and I also have no idea why they didn't call authorities if this was true.

- Also a SC GOP legislator will be introducing a bill to remove the flag from the front of the Capitol building.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/245634-sc-state-lawmaker-ill-introduce-bill-to-take-down-confederate

Last edited by a moderator:
Huffington Post ‏@HuffingtonPost ·

Mitt Romney calls on South Carolina to remove Confederate flag at statehouse http://huff.to/1Lq3JNx
I give Mitt credit he has long been right on this issue. I wish this Mitt had run instead of the Mitt we got. Would've have been much more interesting.
Would that have stopped the Obama campaign from accusing him of killing a man and Harry Reid saying he never paid taxes? Would've been interesting.

Oh yeah why blame the party that espouses hate and putting guns in as many hands as possible regardless of criminal history or mental defect? Why blame the party of the modern Jim Crow? To be honest I couldn't care much less than I do if you think pointing out the obvious is a bad thing.
This reminds me of when Tom Wolfe coined American grievances as The Great Adjectival Catch-Up

No overt fascism? Well, social fascism. No overt racism? Well, institutionalized racism. No real Jim Crow laws? Well, modern Jim Crow.

As always, the adjectival catch-ups are weaker, more nebulous, and more difficult to define than the actual positions and historical conditions themselves.
Restricting voting rights and imposing virtual poll taxes for no reason and in a way to purposefully exclude minorities and the poor isn't nebulous or weak and it is happening all over the country. That's Jim Crow. it's modern because we haven't gotten to outright lynching.

Mitt Romney calls on South Carolina to remove Confederate flag at statehouse http://huff.to/1Lq3JNx
I give Mitt credit he has long been right on this issue. I wish this Mitt had run instead of the Mitt we got. Would've have been much more interesting.
Would that have stopped the Obama campaign from accusing him of killing a man and Harry Reid saying he never paid taxes? Would've been interesting.
Not sure. But a moderate Republican instead of the Tea Party poll driven ####### would've been harder to smear.

Sounds like the institutionalized racism and symbols of the South had little to do with it, and it sounds like he's a psychopath, which is generally a reason to throw up one's hands and say it's the individual, not the nebulous notion of institutional racism and its symbolic historical gestures.

Sounds like the institutionalized racism and symbols of the South had little to do with it, and it sounds like he's a psychopath, which is generally a reason to throw up one's hands and say it's the individual, not the nebulous notion of institutional racism and its symbolic historical gestures.
Always. When it comes to anything smelling of the right wing terrorism we have been warned about, until the GOP raised hell and had the report killed, it is just some random one off. But say it was a Muslim well then it's all of them and what do you expect with all the hate they preach? Give me a break.

From the manifesto

The event that truly awakened me was the Trayvon Martin case. I kept hearing and seeing his name, and eventually I decided to look him up. I read the Wikipedia article and right away I was unable to understand what the big deal was. It was obvious that Zimmerman was in the right. But more importantly this prompted me to type in the words “black on White crime” into Google, and I have never been the same since that day. The first website I came to was the Council of Conservative Citizens. There were pages upon pages of these brutal black on White murders. I was in disbelief. At this moment I realized that something was very wrong. How could the news be blowing up the Trayvon Martin case while hundreds of these black on White murders got ignored?
Seems like we read something very similar in this very thread yesterday....

So a friend tells you he wants to kill people and you do nothing?

Pathetic.
snitches get stitches.

Seriously though, what would you do in this situation? My guess is it came up as bravado while drinking beers or smoking pot. Clearly his black friend did not feel threatened...

From the manifesto

The event that truly awakened me was the Trayvon Martin case. I kept hearing and seeing his name, and eventually I decided to look him up. I read the Wikipedia article and right away I was unable to understand what the big deal was. It was obvious that Zimmerman was in the right. But more importantly this prompted me to type in the words “black on White crime” into Google, and I have never been the same since that day. The first website I came to was the Council of Conservative Citizens. There were pages upon pages of these brutal black on White murders. I was in disbelief. At this moment I realized that something was very wrong. How could the news be blowing up the Trayvon Martin case while hundreds of these black on White murders got ignored?
The irony is that a simple positing of that question was mocked.

Yes, Olaf is a racist alias or member of the FFA (just think of his famous song) and tries to disguise a weird racist agenda (possibly done in subtle ways to draw out racist beliefs in others on the board). But some of the attacks against him can be ad hominem attacks in addition to justified ones. He is, after all, a damn smart alias. And when he spoke of the kid's motive and that the kid felt a certain way and then turned to the internet because of media coverage and the fanning of racial flames, it sounds like Olaf and Tso were…well…right.

Which is sad. But before people start hollering and whooping about the idiocy of Olaf and Tso, maybe they ought to consider the arguments being made on behalf of actual motive, not those thoughts that we think to be hopefully righteous or just?

Plus, Todd Andrews started spouting off, and even more so than Olaf, I wouldn't want to be on that guy's side either emotionally or intellectually.

So a friend tells you he wants to kill people and you do nothing?

Pathetic.
snitches get stitches.

Seriously though, what would you do in this situation? My guess is it came up as bravado while drinking beers or smoking pot. Clearly his black friend did not feel threatened...
If I had one of my friends tell me this I certainly wouldn't just keep it to myself and hope he/she was just bluffing.Try getting them help is a good start.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/charleston-shooting-black-and-muslim-killers-are-terrorists-and-thugs-why-are-white-shooters-called-mentally-ill-10330714.html

Charleston shooting: Black and Muslim killers are 'terrorists' and 'thugs'. Why are white shooters called 'mentally ill'?
This is not an act of just 'one hateful person.' It is a manifestation of the racial hatred and white supremacy that continues to pervade our society

Dylann-Storm-Roof.jpg

40K​
facebook.png

7K​
twitter.png

google.png

26​
linkedin.png

reddit.png

47K​
share.png

Police are investigating the shooting of nine African Americans at Emanuel AME Church in Charleston as a hate crime committed by a white man. Unfortunately, it’s not a unique event in American history. Black churches have long been a target of white supremacists who burned and bombed them in an effort to terrorise the black communities that those churches anchored. One of the most egregious terrorist acts in US history was committed against a black church in Birmingham, Alabama, in 1963. Four girls were killed when members of the KKK bombed the 16th Street Baptist Church, a tragedy that ignited the Civil Rights Movement.
But listen to major media outlets and you won’t hear the word “terrorism” used in coverage of this latest shooting. You won’t hear the white male shooter, identified as 21-year-old Dylann Roof, described as “a possible terrorist.” And if coverage of recent shootings by white suspects is any indication, he never will be. Instead, the go-to explanation for his actions will be mental illness. He will be humanized and called sick, a victim of mistreatment or inadequate mental health resources. Activist Deray McKesson noted this morning that, while discussing Roof’s motivations, an MSNBC anchor said “we don’t know his mental condition.” That is the power of whiteness in America.

US media practice a different policy when covering crimes involving African Americans and Muslims. As suspects, they are quickly characterized as terrorists and thugs, motivated by evil intent instead of external injustices. While white suspects are lone wolfs — Mayor Joseph Riley of Charleston already emphasized this shooting was an act of just “one hateful person” — violence by black and Muslim people is systemic, demanding response and action from all who share their race or religion. Even black victims are vilified. Their lives are combed for any infraction or hint of justification for the murders or attacks that befall them: Trayvon Martin was wearing a hoodie. Michael Brown stole cigars. Eric Garner sold loosie cigarettes. When a black teenager who committed no crime was tackled and held down by a police officer at a pool party in McKinney, Texas, Fox News host Megyn Kelly described her as “No saint either.”

Early news reports on the Charleston church shooting followed a similar pattern. Cable news coverage of State Senator and Reverend Clementa Pinckney, pastor of Emanuel AME who we now know is among the victims, characterised his advocacy work as something that could ruffle feathers. The habit of characterizing black victims as somehow complicit in their own murders continues.

It will be difficult to hold to this corrosive, racist media narrative when reporting on the shooting at Emanuel AME Church. All those who were killed were simply participating in a Wednesday night Bible study. And the shooter’s choice of Emanuel AME was most likely deliberate, given its storied history. It was the first African Methodist Episcopal church in the South, founded in 1818 by a group of men including Morris Brown, a prominent pastor, and Denmark Vesey, the leader of a large, yet failed, slave revolt in Charleston. The church itself was targeted early on by fearful whites because it was built with funds from anti-slavery societies in the North. In 1822, church members were investigated for involvement in planning Vesey’s slave revolt, and the church was burned to the ground in retribution.

With that context, it’s clear that killing the pastor and members of this church was a deliberate act of hate. Mayor Riley noted that “The only reason that someone could walk into a church and shoot people praying is out of hate.” But we need to take it a step further. There was a message of intimidation behind this shooting, an act that mirrors a history of terrorism against black institutions involved in promoting civil and human rights. The hesitation on the part of some of the media to label the white male killer a terrorist is telling.

This time, I hope that reporters and newscasters will ask the questions that get to the root of acts of racially motivated violence in America. Where did this man, who killed parishioners in their church during Bible study, learn to hate black people so much? Did he have an allegiance to the Confederate flag that continues to fly over the state house of South Carolina? Was he influenced by right-wing media’s endless portrayals of black Americans as lazy and violent?

I hope the media coverage won’t fall back on the typical narrative ascribed to white male shooters: a lone, disturbed or mentally ill young man failed by society. This is not an act of just “one hateful person.” It is a manifestation of the racial hatred and white supremacy that continues to pervade our society, 50 years after the Birmingham church bombing galvanized the Civil Rights Movement. It should be covered as such. And now that authorities have found their suspect, we should be calling him what he is: a terrorist.

Copyright: Washington Post
?

That's an op-ed. It's like having you write for the Independent/UK. What to make of it?

In the words of The Dude, "...that's like, your opinion, man."

rockaction, I didn't mock Olaf for suggesting that Roof's motives were related to blacks killing whites; I mocked him for suggesting that Roof might not have committed his crime if only the news media had reported these types of stories, and if only we as a society were more sympathetic to the complaints of white racists. That sort of suggestion deserves a great amount of mockery and derision, and I don't think this latest revelation proves Olaf was right at all. He wasn't.

Anybody else a little freaked that something Olaf posted yesterday about what turned this guy racist basically shows up today in this guys manifesto as a thing that helped turn him racist?

It seemed like the sentiment she is writing about was yours though, dude man
One thing that I will admit flummoxes me about this is the insistence on the use of the word "terrorist." Perhaps I can think about it more and post later. I don't think it's hard to say that this person is a murderer and psychopath. I'm not sure what has the left all atwitter about the use of "terrorism." Is it to link the right and domestic terrorism? What about Loughner, Kaczynski, the environmental terrorists, et. al? Have they been claimed by the left?

I'm not sure what the haggling over this does, though maybe since I don't get it, and I have an inkling, it's very important to the modern left in this instance that the right not only calls this terror, but adopts it as its own?

Which strikes me as a bizarre gripe to have at this point. I guess Orwellian language and history and information is more relevant than tim thought here.

Anybody else a little freaked that something Olaf posted yesterday about what turned this guy racist basically shows up today in this guys manifesto as a thing that helped turn him racist?
Olaf and Roof read the same websites and use the same excuse playbook to justify the behavior. Nothing freaky or shocking about that.

"I googled black on white crime and found out the media wasn't reporting the news accurately so I had to go out and murder a bunch of elderly black women in a prayer group". It all makes so much sense now.

rockaction, I didn't mock Olaf for suggesting that Roof's motives were related to blacks killing whites; I mocked him for suggesting that Roof might not have committed his crime if only the news media had reported these types of stories, and if only we as a society were more sympathetic to the complaints of white racists. That sort of suggestion deserves a great amount of mockery and derision, and I don't think this latest revelation proves Olaf was right at all. He wasn't.
Sadly, I think at this point you're mischaracterizing what Olaf said, which was different than what Tso said. I will edit this post if I am wrong.

Go back and read Olaf's very distinct points about motive and the perception of the kid. In that respect, at least, he was right.

Why should we care what Mary Ann Webster thinks about race baiting? ;)

It's Tso's definition that matters :P

Olaf and Roof read the same websites and use the same excuse playbook to justify the behavior. Nothing freaky or shocking about that.

"I googled black on white crime and found out the media wasn't reporting the news accurately so I had to go out and murder a bunch of elderly black women in a prayer group". It all makes so much sense now.
No, this is true, but the fact doesn't change that this kid's motive was exactly what he said, and he was roundly mocked for asserting something about motive, if I'm not mistaken.

If I am, I apologize. I know exactly what Olaf is doing and where he's coming from. He happens to be a relevant voice in this debate right now, for obvious reasons.

Race baiting - Mexicans come here to rape our women

Not Race baiting - The GOP has a lot of leaders that espouse racial hate.

As regards the Op Ed piece: there were plenty of people who called Hasan mentally ill as well; it was conservatives who insisted on calling it terrorism. This time around it seems to be mostly liberals who bridle at calling Roof mentally ill because they think it covers up the fact that he was a racist. Two sides of the same coin.

Personally I think all of these labels are rather simplistic. Anyone who commits a crime like this has to be mentally ill- one can be mentally ill and a racist at the same time. One can be mentally ill and be motivated by religious or political factors at the same time. And one can be a horrible racist but never commit murder.

I will say, though, that I think the term "terrorism" should really be limited to crimes committed by organized groups. That would eliminate Hasan and Roof from that category.

From the manifesto

The CCC I believe is a masked version of the KKK:

The Council of Conservative Citizens is an American political organization that supports a large variety of conservative and paleoconservative causes in addition to white nationalism, and white separatism.
I don't think it's say a good idea to compare a fellow poster to a murderous fiend. Just my my 2c there.

However what I think this snip you've posted does show is that Roof was getting this stuff off the internet and was living inside his [very sick] head.

One thing that Stormfront and such groups do is create sites and fake news reporting that gets picked up and repeated by those who are none too sharp, or full of hate and looking for self-gratification. I think people are missing an important element here, a very dark world of hate groups that are living under the belly of society. These groups have illegal weapons stashes, they are involved in narcotics and sex trafficking. And they are on the internet. The flag and historical memory debate is really interesting, but it's also very old, and I think we are all really missing something far more horrible.

Look there are, sadly, hundreds of thousands or racists out there like Olaf who read this crap and buy into it- but there's only a handful of murderers like Roof. Roof was a racist AND mentally ill.

Not sure. But a moderate Republican instead of the Tea Party poll driven ####### would've been harder to smear.
At least you admit you guys smeared poor Mitt. Now we are stuck with a left wing poll driven President who literally has Al Sharpton hanging out at the WH every week. THANKS.

Adam Serwer ‏@AdamSerwer ·

Of course a white supremacist manifesto begins with calling blacks the Real Racists.

Adam Serwer ‏@AdamSerwer

From the manifesto: "Me and my friends would sometimes watch things that would make us think blacks are the real racists."

Adam Serwer ‏@AdamSerwer ·

Of course a white supremacist manifesto begins with calling blacks the Real Racists.

Adam Serwer ‏@AdamSerwer

From the manifesto: "Me and my friends would sometimes watch things that would make us think blacks are the real racists."
Questions, questions, from that guy's twitter feed:

Adam Serwer ‏@AdamSerwer Jun 19

If this is true it's maybe the most pathetic thing i've ever heard.

And quoting:

This scenario recalls a manifesto written by Elliot Rodger, who on May 23, 2014 gunned down six people in Isla Vista, California: “How could an inferior, ugly black boy be able to get a white girl and not me?”

“Dylann liked her,” Scott Roof said. “The black guy got her. He changed. I don’t know if we would be here if not …” Roof then abruptly hung up the phone.
https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2015/06/18/cousin-of-charleston-suspect-says-black-man-stole-roofs-love-interest/

From the link:

Charleston: Dylann Roof’s Cousin Claims Love Interest Chose Black Man Over Him
Scott Roof, who identified himself as Dylann Roof’s cousin, told me over the telephone that “Dylann was normal until he started listening to that white power music stuff.” He also claimed that “he kind of went over the edge when a girl he liked starting dating a black guy two years back.”
Actually (from a madman's perspective) that would tie in with the "raping our women" rant. Weird, sad, sick stuff for sure, with the odeur of fascism.

At least you admit you guys smeared poor Mitt. Now we are stuck with a left wing poll driven President who literally has Al Sharpton hanging out at the WH every week. THANKS.
Oh poor Mittens. Yeah he never smeared anyone just a victim. And If you think Obama is left wing you need to think again,

Linked from that story, I don't know if you guys have seen this:

Charleston shooting victim posted Snapchat from Bible study moments before attack
The youngest victim to die in the tragic shooting at the historic Emanuel AME Church in Charleston, S.C. shared a Snapchat video from the doomed bible study group in the moments before Dylann Storm Roof allegedly killed him and eight others. n Tywanza Sanders's Snapchat video, which was obtained by Mashable and confirmed by four friends, a man is seen talking to the group seated around a large table covered with papers. Most of the participants at the bible study — and all of the victims — are black. But one man, seated at the far end of the table, is white.Friends of Sanders say that man is Roof.

The bible study participants had welcomed the 21-year-old to sit with the group only to have him allegedly turn his gun on them after being there for an hour.

"I didn't notice until now that Dylann was just a few people away from Wanza," one friend told Mashable after showing us the clip. "You can slightly see him in the right corner of the screenshot."
http://mashable.com/2015/06/18/charleston-shooting-victim-snapchat/

You can see the size of the room there and how close the people were to each other.

In these horrible events it's important to remember the good people.

Tywanza seems like he was a great guy, someone who the human race could be proud of.

Tywanza Sanders graduated in 2014 from Allen University.

Tywanza was a "quiet, well-known student who was committed to his education," Allen University Vice President of Institutional Advancement, Dr. Flavia Eldemire told Mashable. Eldemire added that Sanders, 26, had a "warm and helpful spirit."
But to friends remarking to his death on Twitter, "Wanza" is remembered as a "chill dude" who was overwhelmingly positive and who will leave a lasting impact. "He was literally a walking angel, always positive and uplifting," one said.
Everyone remembers the assassins, let's remember Tywanza's name, one of the good guys.

The new conservative thing since they apparently can't say that racism played a part in it was to blame the pastor who was killed because he supposed "gun free zones" in this church and other particular places. Lets think about this. Are you telling me that if there is a predominately black church in South Carolina in which the pastor is packing a loaded weapon and security guards are packing loaded weapons and members in the audience are packing loaded weapons that NOBODY is going to complain about it. And imagine if that was a mosque the #### storm that would create. Most of the people are fanatically about the 2nd amendment have the same view as the 1st amendment. Full support until it involves something that bothers them then it is a whole other issue.

He did it because he hates black people. He hates black people because he was taught to hate black people. There is a political party in this country that spends an inordinate amount of their time blowing racial dog whistles and sometimes they are way more blatant. They spend their time enacting policies to limit the political and economic power of minorities.. They even do it in their announcements for president as a ####### applause line. Forgive me if I have trouble blaming the media for this quite as much as I do the party of hate and so many of their very loud very proud of it champions..
And people in here have called you one of the "reasonable liberals."

From this loser's 'manifesto':

Anyone who thinks that White and black people look as different as we do on the outside, but are somehow magically the same on the inside, is delusional. How could our faces, skin, hair, and body structure all be different, but our brains be exactly the same? This is the nonsense we are led to believe.

The truth about people like Roof:

"I hate my life and need to find someone to blame it on to make me feel better about myself."

Anyone who thinks that White and black people look as different as we do on the outside, but are somehow magically the same on the inside, is delusional. How could our faces, skin, hair, and body structure all be different, but our brains be exactly the same? This is the nonsense we are led to believe.
That's some real bible science.

That's some real bible science.
:yes:

I like that about the Republicans; the evidence does not faze them, they are not bothered at all by the facts.

Was stopping by to get some news updates on the situation here...

I'm not political at all but I get a sick feeling there's a few of you here that actually take a bit of pleasure in what happened here so you can rub your political opposites' noses in it. Hate to say it and you may not realize it either, but it's coming off that way in a few cases and it's pretty scary actually.

I'm not political at all but I get a sick feeling there's a few of you here that actually take a bit of pleasure in what happened here so you can rub your political opposites' noses in it. Hate to say it and you may not realize it either, but it's coming off that way in a few cases and it's pretty scary actually.
To elicit change - sometimes its rough work and you come out looking a bit dirty along the way.

But looking bad on a forum is nothing compared to having 9 people killed from perpetuated hate. And that perpetuation even happens here on these forums.

To elicit change - sometimes its rough work and you come out looking a bit dirty along the way.

But looking bad on a forum is nothing compared to having 9 people killed from perpetuated hate. And that perpetuation even happens here on these forums.
I don't think it has anything to do with perpetuating positive change. It's all about scoring political points. The left has been all-in on this "domestic terrorism" and threat level stuff for a while, and every time there's been a mass shooting or weird execution-style killing, etc., I've noticed that the left has either screamed "NO ISLAMISTS TO SEE HEAR (sic)" or "TYPICAL RIGHT-WING ANTI-GUBBMINT NUT JOB." It's relentless. I agree with you on the bolded; you guys certainly are working at being dirty, and really, ghoulish and incorrect.

Users who are viewing this thread