What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

McFadden has toe injuries in both feet (1 Viewer)

jdoggydogg

Footballguy
McFadden now out with left toe injury

By JOSH DUBOW AP Sports Writer Article Last Updated: 10/29/2008 03:42:10 PM PDT

ALAMEDA, Calif.—For weeks, Darren McFadden was slowed by a turf toe injury on his right foot. Now that he has that almost under control, he's dealing with a turf toe injury on his other foot.

"You just hope it's some kind of freak accident going out there and you get well on one foot, and then you come back and tweak the other one a little bit," McFadden said after missing practice for the Oakland Raiders on Wednesday. "You hope it's just a freak accident and you just try to push through it like this."

McFadden initially hurt his right big toe on a 50-yard run in the third quarter against Kansas City on Sept. 14. He's been limited by that injury ever since, frequently missing practices and not being able to be the game-breaking back the Raiders expected when they drafted him fourth overall.

Then in the first quarter against the New York Jets on Oct. 19, McFadden hurt his left big toe. He played through the injury that game, but was inactive against Baltimore last Sunday. He missed practice again Wednesday, watching with a boot on his left foot.

After practice, coach Tom Cable acknowledged for the first time that McFadden is now dealing with a second injury.

"First it was the right toe. This is the left toe," Cable said. "It's not the old injury. It's a new injury." McFadden has never had turf toe problems before and Cable said it could be related to the different shoes he is wearing in the NFL. McFadden wore Adidas shoes

I am not counting on Fargas this season and he will remain on my bench.

But in deeper leagues where people are playing Fargas as their #2 RB every week, this has to be huge. You don't want a RB with a bad toe. So you REALLY don't want a RB with two bad toes.

I am not counting on Fargas this season and he will remain on my bench. But in deeper leagues where people are playing Fargas as their #2 RB every week, this has to be huge. You don't want a RB with a bad toe. So you REALLY don't want a RB with two bad toes.
Not a bad week for him. I can't make myself do it, but I'd like to put him in over Flash.

Someone mentioned in another thread that they thought the Raiders would shut McFadden down with his first turf toe - I was skeptical but I've been paying close attention to this for the last week (trying to get Fargas cheapo before some real news breaks) and it sure seems like McFadden is not getting any better.

They've been doing just about everything to get him back out on the field (rest, steel plates in his shoes) but it doesn't appear to be helping. Now I think there is a real chance that they sit him down for at least 4-6 games or the rest of the year with no practice rather than risk the injury lingering beyond this year. The only thing that "cures" turf toe is inactivity of the joint - now he's got it in both feet.

I think if you are trying to get Fargas, you should act quickly...

Someone mentioned in another thread that they thought the Raiders would shut McFadden down with his first turf toe - I was skeptical but I've been paying close attention to this for the last week (trying to get Fargas cheapo before some real news breaks) and it sure seems like McFadden is not getting any better. They've been doing just about everything to get him back out on the field (rest, steel plates in his shoes) but it doesn't appear to be helping. Now I think there is a real chance that they sit him down for at least 4-6 games or the rest of the year with no practice rather than risk the injury lingering beyond this year. The only thing that "cures" turf toe is inactivity of the joint - now he's got it in both feet.I think if you are trying to get Fargas, you should act quickly...
I'm sure this has been said before, but turf toe is a very painful injury. It can't be easy for McFadden to plant with those injuries.

Someone mentioned in another thread that they thought the Raiders would shut McFadden down with his first turf toe - I was skeptical but I've been paying close attention to this for the last week (trying to get Fargas cheapo before some real news breaks) and it sure seems like McFadden is not getting any better. They've been doing just about everything to get him back out on the field (rest, steel plates in his shoes) but it doesn't appear to be helping. Now I think there is a real chance that they sit him down for at least 4-6 games or the rest of the year with no practice rather than risk the injury lingering beyond this year. The only thing that "cures" turf toe is inactivity of the joint - now he's got it in both feet.I think if you are trying to get Fargas, you should act quickly...
I'm sure this has been said before, but turf toe is a very painful injury. It can't be easy for McFadden to plant with those injuries.
... and rest doesn't always make it go away. I got it when I was 24. 7 years later and many of those being a couch potatoe and it can still flare up from walking across the parking lot @ Target.

While D-Mac is probably tougher than I am and has access to better doctors than I did, I had this exact thing happen to me my junior year of high school(also playing RB) and I didn't feel right running until after I graduated. Even to this day there is still random toe/foot pain because of it and it happened in 2000.

Toe injuries are maybe the worst injuries you can have as a RB, you'd be better off breaking your leg than getting turf toe. As a dynasty owner of McFadden I am very worried about this, especially since so much of his game is based on quick cuts and then accelerating.

Its one thing with one foot, but both feet is just incredibly frustrating and I doubt McFadden makes another appearance this year if Oakland handles this right, which I have zero confidence they will.

Man, if the Raiders tank it for the rest of this season they'll end up with a top 3-4 pick, and I could see them grabbing Crabtree. Russell, McFadden, and Crabtree would be an awfully good core, if they could add a LT or other line help in free agency their offense isnt that far off from being very good.

Man, if the Raiders tank it for the rest of this season they'll end up with a top 3-4 pick, and I could see them grabbing Crabtree. Russell, McFadden, and Crabtree would be an awfully good core, if they could add a LT or other line help in free agency their offense isnt that far off from being very good.
That's like buying chrome rims before you buy the car. Then again, I expect nothing else from the Raiders as Al sure does love his shiny toys!

I still expect to see Mcfadden out there realtively healthy in time for the fantasy playoffs.

They'll want to get him a string of good games heading into the offseason.

I always thought the Lions were pretty close to being good every year with all the talent they had on offense. You can never tell. You gotta build the offensive and the defensive line first and then everything else will fall into place.As for McFadden, I was optimistic about him getting better for the second half, but now with the injury to the other toe it looks like his season is a bust....fantasy wise that is. Week 2 was the biggest tease!!

I still expect to see Mcfadden out there realtively healthy in time for the fantasy playoffs.

They'll want to get him a string of good games heading into the offseason.
Why?I've seen nothing that makes me believe this will happen. I'm pretty close to dropping him from my redraft roster.

Last edited by a moderator:
You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Darren. You don't wanna know about it, believe me.

How does this happen to both feet? Is there something in his running style that leans on his toes too much? Or is there something wrong with his shoes?

Just seems hard to be a coincidence for it to happen to both feet.

How does this happen to both feet? Is there something in his running style that leans on his toes too much? Or is there something wrong with his shoes?Just seems hard to be a coincidence for it to happen to both feet.
Ive seen it all over the body in the form of over compensation. (medical orthotics field).People will injure something, and then have an injury beset the exact same part on the other side of the body.Wrist-wrist. Quad-quad. Knee-knee. etc. Its seems typical of someone who plays/works and doesnt let it fully heal.First I have noticed with a turf-toe, but I dont find it surprising.I would not guess that its his running style or his toes. He simply strained that toe with too much exertion/flex.

T.A. said:
Sake-Bombers said:
How does this happen to both feet? Is there something in his running style that leans on his toes too much? Or is there something wrong with his shoes?Just seems hard to be a coincidence for it to happen to both feet.
Ive seen it all over the body in the form of over compensation. (medical orthotics field).People will injure something, and then have an injury beset the exact same part on the other side of the body.Wrist-wrist. Quad-quad. Knee-knee. etc. Its seems typical of someone who plays/works and doesnt let it fully heal.First I have noticed with a turf-toe, but I dont find it surprising.I would not guess that its his running style or his toes. He simply strained that toe with too much exertion/flex.
What is the impact on Bush's viability in a fantasy lineup? Is it possible with the season almost lost they may play Bush more to see what they got?

Oooo... marking this thread to see how things develop.

Also, I don't think Fargas is a bad play this week against Atlanta. Especially if he is not competing for playing time.

Sake-Bombers said:
How does this happen to both feet? Is there something in his running style that leans on his toes too much? Or is there something wrong with his shoes?

Just seems hard to be a coincidence for it to happen to both feet.
The Raiders did contact Nike to have his shoes checked. He wore Addidas in college and never had this problem so I read yesterday they contacted Nike to both have the difference in shoe's examined and to see if Nike could add some type of support for his toe.

Sake-Bombers said:
Kind of reminds me of Lorenzo White back in the early days of FF. He had pulled BOTH hamstrings at one time!

Sake-Bombers said:
It is caused by McFaddens upright running style.

Sake-Bombers said:
It is caused by McFaddens upright running style.
I'm just glad nobody has blamed it on his BMI.

Oooo... marking this thread to see how things develop. Also, I don't think Fargas is a bad play this week against Atlanta. Especially if he is not competing for playing time.
I agree. He is sure to get 20 to 25 touches Sunday. I only picked him up as a backup. But I think I will start him in a flex position this week over Kevin Curtin.

I am not counting on Fargas this season and he will remain on my bench. But in deeper leagues where people are playing Fargas as their #2 RB every week, this has to be huge. You don't want a RB with a bad toe. So you REALLY don't want a RB with two bad toes.
HUGE. I've lucked out with a random Mewelde drop when it looked like Parker was back (2 weeks ago), and now I lucked out with picking up Fargas and then hearing this. My starters are Lynch and Bush, so I'm hoping Fargas can pick up the mantle from Moore and continue to cover well for Reggie.... We'll see.

Really? Just like how Det was supposed to have this great O with Kevin Jones, Harrington, Roy W, Charles Rogers, BMW, Calvin Johnson yada yada yada?When will some people learn how skill positions do not make a team.

that probably was me, I've been mentioning that for a while now..I do think their prized possession, first round, #4 overall pick, will be cared for and stashed away..they're not winning this year, they don't need McFadden on the field...Why would they risk further injury in meaningless games in a lost season..? there is no hope for the Raiders this year, it would seem pointless to start McFadden, or even play him if he's still hurting..the fact that the other foot now has a turf toe injury, is alarming..I know Al Davis does weird things , but at some point he has to shut McFadden down for this season...right?and as a sidebar - I thought McFadden would rush for 1500 yards and 15 tds this season..Now I'm not so sure he isn't the next Chris Brown or Robert Smith.. :goodposting:

Users who are viewing this thread