What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Merriman arrested (1 Viewer)

DrJ

Footballguy
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-m...p&type=lgns

SAN DIEGO (AP)—Authorities say San Diego Chargers star linebacker Shawne Merriman(notes) has been arrested on suspicion of choking and restraining his girlfriend, a reality TV star, as she tried to leave his Southern California home.

San Diego County Sheriff’s Lt. Gary Steadman says 27-year-old Tila Tequila signed a citizen’s arrest warrant early Sunday, charging Merriman with battery and false imprisonment.

Tequila was taken to a hospital. Her condition was not immediately available.

Merriman, 25, was taken into custody by deputies who responded to a distress call at his home in Poway, north of San Diego.

Tequila, whose real name is Tila Nguyen, is best known for her MTV dating reality show, “A Shot at Love with Tila Tequila.”

yeah, just saw this a few minutes ago when I was looking at my fantasy roster. Was planning on dropping Merriman anyway, so this makes it much easier.

between the roids, a torn ACL, and now this, I dont see him getting a huge contract as a FA next year. And Im almost positive SD wont be holding onto him.

In any case, what an idiot Merriman is. He works all offseason to return from injury and is primed for the season then goes and does this, which I'm sure will bring about a suspension at some point if the facts do indeed prove his guilt. I'm sure the Chargers are thrilled.

Chargers beat writer Kevin Acee has been adamant all along that Merriman would not be offered a long-term contract by the Chargers.

I guess this probably seals the deal.

Speaking of Acee, I guess he was just interviewed on ESPN News and said that he spoke with someone that was at Merrimans house and that Merriman tried to prevent her from leaving drunk and things went wrong.

Speaking of Acee, I guess he was just interviewed on ESPN News and said that he spoke with someone that was at Merrimans house and that Merriman tried to prevent her from leaving drunk and things went wrong.
That chick is worthless. He should have let her go. Hopefully his career isn't messed up because of some dime-a-dozen hoe.

That chick is worthless. He should have let her go. Hopefully his career isn't messed up because of some dime-a-dozen hoe.
The stupidity of this message board has been going up too much. A 270 pound roid freak chokes a 90 pound girl and all you do is call her a worthless hoe.

The stupidity of this message board has been going up too much. A 270 pound roid freak chokes a 90 pound girl and all you do is call her a worthless hoe.
You can't deny that she's worthless, choked or not.

I love piling on Merriman, but you're accepting everything at face value here because apparently in your world no woman ever lies/exaggerates to the police about "abuse" on domestic calls.

I love piling on Merriman, but you're accepting everything at face value here because apparently in your world no woman ever lies/exaggerates to the police about "abuse" on domestic calls.
Domestic abuse is drastically under reported. It's much more likely for a victim to lie and say it didn't happen when it did, than the opposite.Strangulation is also a felony level assault which is obviously huge if he's convicted.

Domestic abuse is drastically under reported. It's much more likely for a victim to lie and say it didn't happen when it did, than the opposite.Strangulation is also a felony level assault which is obviously huge if he's convicted.
"Strangulation"? :mellow: This is also a case involving not one but two celebrities. The rules always seem to be different with them. I'm going to wait on the facts, particularly with a report that she was intoxicated and even attempting to drive while intoxicated. What she says was "choking", may simply have been well-intentioned physical restraint. There's a lot we don't know, so save the lecture.

All jokes aside...4 game suspension...8 games? This was one of the reasons many felt that SD would win 12 games this season. The AFC West continues to erode...maybe Oakland can make a run yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not accepting anything at face value. My reaction to hearing a 90 pound chick is choked by a 270 pound roided up athlete isn't to call the girl a worthless hoe. If he's innocent then he's innocent. I have no idea who this girl is, she's on a reality show, I don't watch those shows so all i know is she is a 90 pound female. Like I said my first reaction to hearing about domestic abuse isn't "What a worthless hoe". How my comment sparked your comment doesn't follow logic. If it helps next time I will say "The stupidity of this message board has been going up too much. A 270 pound roid freak ALLEGEDLY chokes a 90 pound girl and all you do is call her a worthless hoe."

I am not accepting anything at face value. My reaction to hearing a 90 pound chick is choked by a 270 pound roided up athlete isn't to call the girl a worthless hoe. If he's innocent then he's innocent. I have no idea who this girl is, she's on a reality show, I don't watch those shows so all i know is she is a 90 pound female. Like I said my first reaction to hearing about domestic abuse isn't "What a worthless hoe". How my comment sparked your comment doesn't follow logic. If it helps next time I will say "The stupidity of this message board has been going up too much. A 270 pound roid freak ALLEGEDLY chokes a 90 pound girl and all you do is call her a worthless hoe."
Look at your last post- you're assuming "choking" and "domstic abuse" all occurred. All of this is in question right now. That's what I meant.

All jokes aside...4 game suspension...8 games? This was one of the reasons many felt that SD would win 12 games this season. The AFC West continues to erode...maybe Oakland can make a run yet.
Well he has to be found guilty firstIf he is, 4 games is definitely the most he would get. This offense is totally different than getting banned for an illegal substance, so I dont think that previous suspension would have any impact on this. So basically, its like this would be his first offense.

She's not even hot. Merriman can get any chick he wants... if he wanted an asian chick I'd say most are better looking. If he wanted a washed up alcoholic slut though... he found a prime specimen.

Well he has to be found guilty firstIf he is, 4 games is definitely the most he would get. This offense is totally different than getting banned for an illegal substance, so I dont think that previous suspension would have any impact on this. So basically, its like this would be his first offense.
You'll have to excuse MOP, he had Favre doing 3 to 5 in the state pen for the that crackback block in the pre season game, so he's just a little suspension happy.

"Strangulation"? :confused: This is also a case involving not one but two celebrities. The rules always seem to be different with them. I'm going to wait on the facts, particularly with a report that she was intoxicated and even attempting to drive while intoxicated. What she says was "choking", may simply have been well-intentioned physical restraint. There's a lot we don't know, so save the lecture.
I just added some facts to this thread, no lecture was intended. There is indeed a lot we don't know about this which is why I avoided any conjecture, but, as demonstrated by Rhianna and Chris Brown, celebrities are still people and are still able to be victims and perpetrators of crimes.

That is not true that he has to be found guilty first. There have been several cases where Goodell has suspended someone before the court systems has. I think this will test Goodell to see if he really will not protect the NFL's star player. And don't forget that Merriman has already put one black eye to the NFL with his roids suspension.

T Bell

Sorry, but our conversation isn't going how I my first post was intended. I have no clue if he's guilty or not.

A question for you. When you hear that a person may have been the victim of a violent crime, is your first reaction to call that person rude names?

T BellSorry, but our conversation isn't going how I my first post was intended. I have no clue if he's guilty or not.A question for you. When you hear that a person may have been the victim of a violent crime, is your first reaction to call that person rude names?
You're well intentioned but I think this will turn out with her looking like the bad one.

T BellSorry, but our conversation isn't going how I my first post was intended. I have no clue if he's guilty or not.A question for you. When you hear that a person may have been the victim of a violent crime, is your first reaction to call that person rude names?
I've not called her any rude names. I've only questioned whether we have enough substantiation here to start declaring that domestic abuse occurred. Who the person is and how I hear about it dictates my reaction in large part. When the accuser is an attention-starved reality show "celebrity" diva who has no pics of injury out there, I'm going to be a little conservative about what I believe about the reported allegations, and even more so when reports start floating that she was intoxicated and intending to drive. That's different than hearing, for example, that my wife's friend turned up with a black eye.

Domestic abuse is drastically under reported. It's much more likely for a victim to lie and say it didn't happen when it did, than the opposite.
How many times was this brought up in the Roethlisberger case too? I'd agree with that statement when it comes to Joe Public, but I'd say the opposite is true when you're talking about millionaire superstars.

That is not true that he has to be found guilty first. There have been several cases where Goodell has suspended someone before the court systems has. I think this will test Goodell to see if he really will not protect the NFL's star player. And don't forget that Merriman has already put one black eye to the NFL with his roids suspension.
Goodell suspended Vick, he's a much bigger star. He's shown no predeliction to protecting stars, infact in some ways stars get harsher treatment. That said, I doubt Goodell is out in front of this. This is the first time Merriman has been tangled in a criminal case and his policy is supposed to be more geared to repeat offenders.

Mike Nifong? Is that you?

If anything Merriman should get a reward/recognition for keeping a drunk driver off our streets. What if she got in the car and killed your mom or sister? God bless Merriman, he's a saint.

Merriman is innocent until proven guilty. I certainly hope for his sake, and for the Chargers, that he did not commit this crime.

But to call this woman a hoe, to refer to her as an "acoholic slut" under the circumstances is IMO terribly bad taste, even in jest, and people who do this should be removed from this forum. There's really no place for that.

You'll have to excuse MOP, he had Favre doing 3 to 5 in the state pen for the that crackback block in the pre season game, so he's just a little suspension happy.
With Pontius Pilate running the NFL...

Merriman is innocent until proven guilty. I certainly hope for his sake, and for the Chargers, that he did not commit this crime.

But to call this woman a hoe, to refer to her as an "acoholic slut" under the circumstances is IMO terribly bad taste, even in jest, and people who do this should be removed from this forum. There's really no place for that.
shut it

down

Merriman is innocent until proven guilty. I certainly hope for his sake, and for the Chargers, that he did not commit this crime.But to call this woman a hoe, to refer to her as an "acoholic slut" under the circumstances is IMO terribly bad taste, even in jest, and people who do this should be removed from this forum. There's really no place for that.
I agree to a point...But when you star in a trashy MTV reality show, you can't get upset that people think you are trash...

Merriman is innocent until proven guilty. I certainly hope for his sake, and for the Chargers, that he did not commit this crime.But to call this woman a hoe, to refer to her as an "acoholic slut" under the circumstances is IMO terribly bad taste, even in jest, and people who do this should be removed from this forum. There's really no place for that.
I agree to a point...But when you star in a trashy MTV reality show, you can't get upset that people think you are trash...
I know nothing about the show. You can make the same point without using that language. I think it's demeaning and distasteful.

lightsouttila.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I know nothing about the show. You can make the same point without using that language. I think it's demeaning and distasteful.
I've never really watched it either, but its basically MTV's version of the Rock of Love. She tries to find love with random people by getting drunk in a hot tub.

I've never really watched it either, but its basically MTV's version of the Rock of Love. She tries to find love with random people by getting drunk in a hot tub.
Yeah that sounds like a hoe to me...

I wonder what he's going to have to do fine/jail time wise if anything. If he went to far and does have to do time, going to really suck as I was looking forward to another year seeing this guy tear it up. Not a huge fan of San Diego, but Merriman linebacker has some real talent.

If anything Merriman should get a reward/recognition for keeping a drunk driver off our streets. What if she got in the car and killed your mom or sister? God bless Merriman, he's a saint.
Reported.
Really? I don't know any of the facts of this case, just the PFT speculation that that's what Merriman's defense is going to be. If he did however, try to keep a drunk person from driving that's a pretty big detail. It could be a front for something worse, I have no clue. But I do not that trying to reason with someone when they are drunk and determined can be a very daunting task, and things can escalate quickly. I don't have any qualms about putting people who hit women in jail, but this is a case where either side might exaggerate to make their case look better. I wouldn't take sides until after all the facts had been presented.

Users who are viewing this thread